UNO Maverick Athletics

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Post by bigredmed »

skinzfan23 wrote:I still feel that the Valley isn't the best situation for UNO, especially since Wichita left.
What is going on with the Summit League to make them want to change? As you said, without Wichita State, there really isn't a power school in either conference.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Well, the Mo Valley does have football!

:hi:
No posts exist for this topic
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

The MVC has a much better TV contract, both in terms of number of games shown and dollars (ESPN, FSN, plus the Valley's digital network on ESPN3 that streams every home game), and far more NCAA Tournament units to split, though both of those revenue streams are short-term gains -- the next TV deal will undoubtably be less lucrative sans Wichita, and without the Shockers annually winning games in the tourney future Units will likely be far fewer. But right now, the MVC has a lot more money to divvy up and a ton more games on national TV/streaming platforms. If you could get in now and take advantage of that exposure and money to grow your program quickly, a move to the MVC might make sense.

As a Creighton guy I'd love to see some of the old Valley schools back in Omaha again, but talking to some people around college hoops today I don't think it's likely UNO makes the cut.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

WBR_Tom wrote:The MVC has a much better TV contract, both in terms of number of games shown and dollars (ESPN, FSN, plus the Valley's digital network on ESPN3 that streams every home game), and far more NCAA Tournament units to split, though both of those revenue streams are short-term gains -- the next TV deal will undoubtably be less lucrative sans Wichita, and without the Shockers annually winning games in the tourney future Units will likely be far fewer. But right now, the MVC has a lot more money to divvy up and a ton more games on national TV/streaming platforms. If you could get in now and take advantage of that exposure and money to grow your program quickly, a move to the MVC might make sense.

As a Creighton guy I'd love to see some of the old Valley schools back in Omaha again, but talking to some people around college hoops today I don't think it's likely UNO makes the cut.
Well put. I really doubt Omaha will leave the Summit, but, if the financials make sense for the short term, how can they not listen to their offer, given Omaha's Sports finances...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The Valley seems to be in decline. Short term it may be a little better not sure on long term.

Would anyone really be that excited to see teams like Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa?

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote:The Valley seems to be in decline. Short term it may be a little better not sure on long term.

Would anyone really be that excited to see teams like Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa?

Greg
I'm not excited about it, overall. I've wondered what kind of league UNO would really be joining with the Valley...but at the same time, what kind of league is the Summit League going to be going forward?

The more and more I hear, it sounds like IUPUI and IPFW (long rumored as wanting to leave) could end up in the Horizon League. At that point, the Summit is again under the minimum number of baseball schools necessary for the NCAA auto bid. and, if the MVC is going to backfill with a Summit League team, I'd prefer UNO not be the odd man out stuck in a league that's teetering on falling apart or not able to support baseball anymore.

It's just so fluid. There are days where I think the Summit is the only choice, but other days the MVC sounds better than I initially thought.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

My bet is that the Mo Valley will add three and that Omaha will be one that jumps.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

also, the rumor is that the MVC could add UNO, Murray St. and Valpo.

That changes the profile of that league a bit. I like the mix of those schools with UNI, Ill St. SIU, and Missouri St.

I do think something like that is superior to the Summit for UNO.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The Valley is without a doubt in my mind better than the Summit.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The Valley has a much better history of success, but since both Creighton and Wichita left, there isn't any perennial powerhouse program left. Sure N. Iowa has been somewhat consistent over the last decade but there isn't another team that has had any sustained success over the past 10 years. At least with the Summit league, S Dakota St. is fairly consistent.

I definitely agree that the Valley TV contract is a much better deal and of course the Valley has teams in larger markets as well. But I think if you put the Summit basketball teams up against the Valley, it would be pretty even.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

For 2016-2017, Real Time RPI had The Valley as the #12 ranked conference. The Summit was ranked #17. The Horizon League was #19. Relatively similar profiles. All 1 bid leagues.

On paper, the Valley looks like an upgrade, but the caveat to that is a Valley without WSU, replaced by UNO, Valpo, and Murray St. probably drops the Valley from #12 to #15 or #16.

But again, the dominoes will continue to drop. The Summit without UNO, Fort Wayne and IUPUI drops a bit as well.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I would hate to see UNO leave the Summitt for the Valley. Not enough of an upgrade. I like the proximity and the history with the teams from the Summitt. I just can't get that excited for Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois. At least we have a history with the Dakota schools and the league tourney is less than 3 hours away.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

So, reading between the lines, UNO can't afford a qualified chancellor candidate...but, athletics could still be looking at making a conference move that would require the school to further increase the athletic budget?

That would be a hard sell to the public int his climate.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

omaha79 wrote:So, reading between the lines, UNO can't afford a qualified chancellor candidate...but, athletics could still be looking at making a conference move that would require the school to further increase the athletic budget?

If this happens, UNO should combine athletics with UNL and UNK and balance the sports offerings between the 3 campii. That would allow UNO to go the BIG for hockey.

Still want to know the deets on why UNO could not find a chancellor candidate.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

omaha79 wrote:So, reading between the lines, UNO can't afford a qualified chancellor candidate...but, athletics could still be looking at making a conference move that would require the school to further increase the athletic budget?

If UNO does make a conference move that requires additional money I'm sure it would be privately raised. (If that is indeed the case, as far as funding goes, they would have already had those discussions and the funds already committed)

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

It sounds like Valpo may be the only school being invited to The Valley based on Twitter reports I've been seeing.

Also, Shatel yesterday echoed many of the comments made on here as to why UNO to The Valley isn't a "no-brainer". Basically, the stuff we've said here like UNO's basketball budget not matching that of other MVC schools and UNO not being a basketball first school.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/shatel-swim ... 6ec8f.html
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

UNO athletics, Baxter Arena appear to be on more firm financial footing after year of concern

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/uno ... 8a384.html
By Rick Ruggles / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The University of Nebraska at Omaha athletic department’s finances appear to be somewhat more solid after a year of alarm.

The university funneled about $6.7 million to the athletic department and Baxter Arena for 2016-17, down from about $8.7 million the previous year.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:UNO athletics, Baxter Arena appear to be on more firm financial footing after year of concern

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/uno ... 8a384.html
By Rick Ruggles / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The University of Nebraska at Omaha athletic department’s finances appear to be somewhat more solid after a year of alarm.

The university funneled about $6.7 million to the athletic department and Baxter Arena for 2016-17, down from about $8.7 million the previous year.
Well, it's a positive step at least.
No posts exist for this topic
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Cut expenses by $1 million, the NU central office paid off some of the bonds to reduce the mortgage by $500k a year and hit the students for another $500k with fees.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Granted it was Northwestern, but UNO Baseball opens the season with a series win over a Big Ten team.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MAVERICKS MOURN PASSING OF DON LEAHY

http://omavs.com/news/2018/2/23/adminis ... leahy.aspx
UNO wrote:OMAHA, Neb. – The Omaha Athletic department regrets to announce the passing of athletic director emeritus Don Leahy today.

"It is difficult to overstate Mr. Leahy's impact, not only on our department, but on the campus as a whole," said Trev Alberts, Vice Chancellor of Athletics. "His long-time association with Omaha Athletics brought about profound change to the department and positively affected countless student-athletes, fellow administrators and staff.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha 8
Nebraska 7
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Good for UNO. They need to beat NU this year. Hopefully UNO can get rolling again in conference play. Nebraska has not been this bad in awhile.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Allen picked Wichita State.

Greg
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Greg S wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:46 pm Allen picked Wichita State.

Greg
Shockers' Teddy Allen has appeal denied by NCAA, can't play this season

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... lay-season
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

As I was reading this article, I saw that Shaquil Barrett played at Boys Town and then UNO - then they shut down football and he ended up at Colorado State. According to the article his coach contacted NU and they respond.

Shaquil Barrett’s unique path to the NFL, the Bucs and the quarterback

The outside linebacker, in his first Tampa Bay season, doesn’t waste an opportunity to hone his craft as a pass rusher, and he is off to the NFL’s best sack start since Michael Jackson’s Thriller was dominating the Billboard charts. Barrett, 26, has eight sacks in three games. The only player with that many that fast since the NFL began to keep track of sacks in 1982 was the Jets’ Mark Gastineau in 1984.

On the football field, he stood out immediately. His speed was evident. With Shaquil and Kevin leading the way, Boys Town, playing in one of Nebraska’s smaller classifications, went to two state title games. As a senior, Shaquil blocked six kicks.

“You could tell probably two practices into him getting there his sophomore year that this kid needed to play for us right away,” said Shaquil’s coach at Boys Town, Kevin Kush. “He was a nightmare for anybody, and we could play him anywhere. He knew every position, every line stunt.”

•••

In 2010, the brothers went to Division II Nebraska-Omaha. Shaquil played football, and Kevin was a wrestler. But both programs were disbanded a year later.

Kush made a call to Nebraska, telling a friend on the staff about Shaquil, but he never received a call back. Colorado State was the only Division I team interested in Shaquil. He started three seasons there, 2011-13, and won Mountain West defensive player of the year honors as a senior, but went undrafted.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/20 ... arterback/
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Trev mentioned today on 1620 that the next facility that UNO needs is a track.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:52 pm Trev mentioned today on 1620 that the next facility that UNO needs is a track.
Are they able to build one around the soccer field?
Fort Calhoun
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fort Calhoun »

I wondered why they removed the track when they converted the football field into a soccer field. Many school have a soccer field surrounded by a track
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Couldn’t they fit in a track facility south of the baseball and softball complex?
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:07 pm
Brad wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:52 pm Trev mentioned today on 1620 that the next facility that UNO needs is a track.
Are they able to build one around the soccer field?
I don't think so. A soccer field is wider than a football field.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha makes more history, advances to title game
Omaha achieved yet another piece of history at The Summit League Women's Basketball Championship becoming the first No. 8 seed to reach the title game after beating fifth-seeded Western Illinois 69-55 Monday in the opening semifinal at the Sanford Pentagon.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Fort Calhoun wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:58 pm I wondered why they removed the track when they converted the football field into a soccer field. Many school have a soccer field surrounded by a track
The problem was the existing structure of Caniglia Fields grandstand pushes it too close to the field to have a track around it and a soccer field in the middle, especially since the soccer field is wider than a football field.

The other issue with putting a track around Caniglia is that the land between the soccer field and the parking garage has been turned over to campus housing for future development. Take a look at the 2014 housing master plan. They have an ambitious housing structure planned for the future that will encourage students to watch the soccer games from their dorm rooms. I'm guessing Covid has put this on the back burner for some time, but I hope it gets built...

https://www.unomaha.edu/student-life/ho ... gstudy.pdf
Last edited by omaha79 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Linkin5 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:19 pm Couldn’t they fit in a track facility south of the baseball and softball complex?
That will likely happen. If you look at the 2013 Master Plan, much of which has come to fruition, the rest of the area for the Center Street Campus includes indoor/outdoor tennis courts and an overall athletic facility that will include indoor practice fields, likely a track, and locker room spaces for teams that don't currently have one. This would be the area from the bike path West to the old soccer field and to where the old UNO Dome was...

https://facilities.unl.edu/MasterPlan/U ... 20Plan.pdf
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coach Kemp has been named the interim AD for UNO. Anyone not see this becoming permeant?

I hope he becomes the permeant AD, he would be a great fit as the next AD for UNO.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Brad wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:16 pm Coach Kemp has been named the interim AD for UNO. Anyone not see this becoming permeant?

I hope he becomes the permeant AD, he would be a great fit as the next AD for UNO.
If it’s permanent I think it would only be for a couple years.

Trev leaving was not great timing with UNO just having a new chancellor. Kemp going permanent would be ok short term until the new chancellor really gets a feel for UNO. I don’t thing he’s be a long term solution or fit.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Greg S wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:32 pm
Brad wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:16 pm Coach Kemp has been named the interim AD for UNO. Anyone not see this becoming permeant?

Trev leaving was not great timing with UNO just having a new chancellor. Kemp going permanent would be ok short term until the new chancellor really gets a feel for UNO. I don’t thing he’s be a long term solution or fit.
Why?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed1 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:41 pm
Greg S wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:32 pm

Why?
Well for starters, he's 68.

Greg
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Ok, was unaware of his age. Thanks. Still, he was a good developer of the hockey program.