Nebraska Football 2017

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Postby bigredmed1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote::what: h
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Presser at Noon today, in about 35 minutes, officially introducing Scott Frost as NU head football coach..

The long road back to relevance begins today :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


I wish we could all agree that this guy gets 4 years to get a system running, then two years to make a dent in the conference, and then 1 year to be a national contender (top 20 consistently through the season) before we see him get an extension. 7 years is long enough, get to relevance or pack it in.


I think the key to this is, Moos and Frost are on the same page. This process to relevance won’t happen overnight.. I think the length of the contract indicates belief in that..

For me, my expectation (and I wrote this here in an earlier post) is for the Huskers to at least be competitive in every game. I saw the look of a team that quit against a below average Minnesota team this year. NU can lose 5 games the next season and 3 or 4 in 2018.. But don’t get blown out, don’t quit and at least- COMPETE...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Team doesn't quit= year 1.
Team competitive in every game= year 2.
Team gets shot at Western division (not necessarily winning it) = year 3.
Team gets real shot at the division or wins division= year 4/5.
By year 6, they are credible in the big 10, or we start looking for new coach before an extension puts us deeper into the hole.

Busguy2010
Human Relations
Posts: 518
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Postby Busguy2010 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:31 pm

Rex Burkhead anyone? Added two rushing touchdowns today

So far this year he has 3 rushing and 3 reception TD's. The Patriots know how to utilize this guy and he looks like the Rex we all knew and I highly recommend setting aside some time to watch him play. It's refreshing to see a former Husker great making his mark after being relatively quiet early in his career.

In twelve games with the Patriots, he has accounted for 6 touchdowns, VS. 4 touchdowns in three years with the Bengals

Patriots play two more games this year we'll be able to see... Next Monday night and Sunday afternoon on 12/17

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6294
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:54 pm

bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote::what: h
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Presser at Noon today, in about 35 minutes, officially introducing Scott Frost as NU head football coach..

The long road back to relevance begins today :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


I wish we could all agree that this guy gets 4 years to get a system running, then two years to make a dent in the conference, and then 1 year to be a national contender (top 20 consistently through the season) before we see him get an extension. 7 years is long enough, get to relevance or pack it in.


I think the key to this is, Moos and Frost are on the same page. This process to relevance won’t happen overnight.. I think the length of the contract indicates belief in that..

For me, my expectation (and I wrote this here in an earlier post) is for the Huskers to at least be competitive in every game. I saw the look of a team that quit against a below average Minnesota team this year. NU can lose 5 games the next season and 3 or 4 in 2018.. But don’t get blown out, don’t quit and at least- COMPETE...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Team doesn't quit= year 1.
Team competitive in every game= year 2.
Team gets shot at Western division (not necessarily winning it) = year 3.
Team gets real shot at the division or wins division= year 4/5.
By year 6, they are credible in the big 10, or we start looking for new coach before an extension puts us deeper into the hole.


Your progression for progress seems reasonable to me...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

Original
Home Owners Association
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:19 pm

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Postby Original » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:55 am

Not being from Nebraska (N.B. I hated Scott Frost in the 90s, because every year, K-State would be rolling along and then lose to Nebraska), I have four comparisons for Scott Frost for Husker Fans. Similar profile of beloved program icons, coached great players on their way up, then got a major conference job.

Steve Spurrier
Turner Gill
Johnny Majors
Steve Sarkisian

Good luck!
Last edited by Original on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 3942
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: west Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Postby Stargazer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am

and UCF hires another former QB who led his school to a national title.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20830
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Postby Coyote » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:38 pm

Frost is named Home Depot Coach of the year.
Taylor Wilson on campus this weekend.
Image

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6294
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:48 pm

Stargazer wrote:and UCF hires another former QB who led his school to a national title.


Yes- Josh Heupel, former Oklahoma QB from their 2000 National championship team..

Interesting hire...

Ciao.,LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6294
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Coyote wrote:Frost is named Home Depot Coach of the year.
Taylor Wilson on campus this weekend.


A big thumbs up on both :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

mrsticka
Human Relations
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Postby mrsticka » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:07 am

Meanwhile, Riley is going back to Oregon State. But this time as assistant head coach.

Busguy2010
Human Relations
Posts: 518
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Postby Busguy2010 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:25 am

mrsticka wrote:Meanwhile, Riley is going back to Oregon State. But this time as assistant head coach.


I don't get Oregon State's love affair with Mike Riley.

mrsticka
Human Relations
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Postby mrsticka » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 am

Busguy2010 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:Meanwhile, Riley is going back to Oregon State. But this time as assistant head coach.


I don't get Oregon State's love affair with Mike Riley.

You could ask. :;):


Return to “Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest