The Big 10 thread

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Stargazer wrote:It remains to be seen whether the Big 12 even exists a few years from now.
Exactly, the current deal is clearly a short-term solution simply to buy time.

Giving more money and more power to Texas is great for Texas, but not conducive to long-term stability.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

TO in the Jungle at 1 pm today.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Jungle?
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

S33 wrote:Jungle?
Technically... it's "Brubaker in the Jungle"...

But in English, Jim Rome will be interviewing Tom Osborne around 1:10 pm this afternoon on BS-590 AM.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

HskrFanMike wrote:
S33 wrote:Jungle?
Technically... it's "Brubaker in the Jungle"...

But in English, Jim Rome will be interviewing Tom Osborne around 1:10 pm this afternoon on BS-590 AM.
Oh ok. Thanks.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

My bad, should have been more specific haha
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Texas Tech’s Tommy Tuberville on the Big 12: 'I don't think this conference will last long'
Dallas Morning News wrote:“I don’t think this conference will last long because there is too much disparity between all the teams,” Dienhart reports Tuberville having said on the show. “In the SEC, for instance, Vanderbilt makes as much money in the television contract as Florida. Everybody is good with it. Everybody is on the same page. Everyone gets the same votes. That doesn’t happen here in the Big 12."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

University of Texas' Real Target: the Nebraska Walk-On Program
Bleacher Report wrote:At its peak under Tom Osborne, the Nebraska football team may have consisted of near 180 players, including walk-ons, when most teams usually carried no more than the 125 (now whittled down to 85) scholarship limit of players. It was unheard of in other parts of the country to have so many kids willing to walk-on just for a limited chance to play Division I football.

The University of Texas and the legislature knew that a very large majority of Nebraska's walk-on population are and were in-state Nebraska boys from very small towns and very small underfunded school districts. What do the underfunded school districts have to do with it?

The University of Texas pushed through and mandated advanced core requirements in math and science (that are a separate and altogether different issue from the non and partial academic qualifiers) for all incoming freshman athletes, knowing very well that these type of classes just weren’t available in many of the tiny high schools where Nebraska walk-ons traditionally came from. Often times these schools couldn't even afford the books for these classes.

In effect now, the University of Texas, through the policies and rules it crafted 15 years ago, controls who attends the University of Nebraska! It is better left unsaid what I think of that.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Give me a break.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bleacher Report writers aren't professional.  Anybody with an email can write and post an article there so I wouldn't take that all to seriously.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

iamjacobm wrote:Bleacher Report writers aren't professional.  Anybody with an email can write and post an article there so I wouldn't take that all to seriously.
I'm just shocked he didn't break out the "county scholarships" myth that is oft-repeated.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

just stirring the sh!t pot, i say.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

2011 Big Ten title game to Indy

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100805/N ... me-to-indy
www.omaha.com wrote:INDIANAPOLIS — Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the NFL's Indianapolis Colts, will host the Big Ten Conference's first football championship game in 2011.

No date has been set for the title game of the 12-team conference that will include Nebraska next season for the first time. The Huskers are moving from the Big 12, where the league has had a championship game since 1996.

Lucas Oil Stadium, which opened in August 2008, seats 63,000 for Colts games but is expected to be expanded to 70,000 seats when it plays host to Super Bowl XLVI in 2012. The downtown domed stadium has FieldTurf, which is the same surface at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Rumor mill also has the Big Ten divisions being announced tonight.

Hmmm...  just in time for five straight days of college football coverage.  Nice use of free pub, Jim.  We're already in better hands.
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Of course, as soon as I type that the leak hits:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5519832
The Big Ten will announce its much-anticipated, two six-team divisional setup for the 2011-12 season later Wednesday, with traditional football powers Ohio State and Michigan in opposing divisions and new member Nebraska aligned with the Wolverines.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that the two divisions in the Big Ten will look like:

• Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

• Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

The Big Ten issued a press release saying it would announce its divisional alignment at 7 p.m. ET Wednesday. According to sources, the divisions were decided upon Monday.

According to multiple sources, the Big Ten wanted to preserve a number of traditional rivalries such as Michigan-Michigan State, Iowa-Minnesota, Purdue-Indiana and Indiana-Illinois.

The Big Ten is also expected to announce a consistent crossover game in football similar to Ohio State-Michigan that will be played each year. Expect to see longtime rivals Wisconsin and Minnesota playing every season.
I'm assuming sanity will prevail and UM-OSU are a protected cross-over game.

And how awesome is having the schools in Chicago and Minneapolis in this division?  I might become a NW season ticket holder.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So I'm thinking Nebraska-Penn State for a crossover game (or Wisconsin if Barry Alvarez has his way).
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Independent BYU signs deal with ESPN and Notre Dame.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/f ... index.html

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the next two members of the current Big 12, circa 2015ish.
Stable genius.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

ND and BYU to the Big 12 would not shock me.  For teams that want to form their own network and be treated as special it's the perfect league.  I don't mean that as an insult either.  The OWH article last weekend was interesting.  Amazing how Nebraska was further along than Texas in forming it's own TV network.

Greg
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Greg S wrote:ND and BYU to the Big 12 would not shock me.  For teams that want to form their own network and be treated as special it's the perfect league.  I don't mean that as an insult either.  The OWH article last weekend was interesting.  Amazing how Nebraska was further along than Texas in forming it's own TV network.

Greg
Which article?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The E-edition special feature on the B12/B10 saga.  It was only available to subscribers initially, but I read it for free last night and now can't find it.  I'm sure it's on there somewhere.
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

• Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

• Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.
I am actually surprised that Wisconsin will be placed in the East.
Will we see NU v IA on the Friday after Thanksgiving?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just as I thought:
Nebraska's Big Ten Schedules

10/1 @Wisconsin
10/8 Ohio State
10/15 bye
10/22 @Minnesota
10/29 Michigan St.
11/5 Northwestern
11/12 @ Penn State
11/19 @Michigan
11/26 Iowa

9/29 Wisconsin
10/6 @Ohio State
10/13 bye
10/20 @Northwestern
10/27 Michigan
11/3 @MSU
11/10 Penn State
11/17 Minnesota
11/24 @Iowa

Ohio State and Michigan will play each other every year on the last day of the Big Ten season

The first Big Ten football championship game will be played in Indianapolis at Lucas Oil Stadium, the home of the NFL's Colts.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big E wrote:Independent BYU signs deal with ESPN and Notre Dame.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the next two members of the current Big 12, circa 2015ish.
BYU has also signed a three game series with Texas.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just to see how the divisions match up - according to Sagarin:

6  Ohio State           89.27  
10  Penn State         86.40
29  Wisconsin          79.66  
58  Purdue                71.69  
77  Illinois                68.93  
94  Indiana               64.31
                     Ave = 76.71

16  Nebraska            82.50
18  Iowa                  82.20  
46  Michigan State   75.70
52  Michigan            73.83
60  Northwestern      71.50
67  Minnesota           70.39
                   Ave = 76.02
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Coyote wrote:
Big E wrote:Independent BYU signs deal with ESPN and Notre Dame.

BYU has also signed a three game series with Texas.
ND has games with Texas during the same time frame, I think.
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big E wrote:ND has games with Texas during the same time frame, I think.
@ Oklahoma 2012
Oklahoma 2013
Texas 2013 (tentative)
Missouri 2015
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Easy-peasy, Japaneasy.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So I'm guessing the Big 10 doesn't want to see us winning the title game in our first year?   We host Ohio State and Iowa... and travel to Wisconsin, Michigan and Penn State.  We play Michigan/Penn State/Iowa in a three game stretch!

Throw in Fresno State, Washington, and Wyoming... and I'd venture to say that we have one of the toughest schedules in the nation.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big E wrote:Easy-peasy, Japaneasy.
ND has finally made a decision to schedule real games to boost their computer rankings.
They also have in the near future games with Utah, Pitt, Conn, S FL, Miami, Wake, WSU, ASU, Cin...

I say great - I love to see them lose.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:So I'm guessing the Big 10 doesn't want to see us winning the title game in our first year?   We host Ohio State and Iowa... and travel to Wisconsin, Michigan and Penn State.  We play Michigan/Penn State/Iowa in a three game stretch!

Throw in Fresno State, Washington, and Wyoming... and I'd venture to say that we have one of the toughest schedules in the nation.
An article earlier tonight stated NU's 2011 & 12 schedule features only one team that did not play in a bowl after the 2009 season:

Washington.
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Coyote wrote:
Big E wrote:Easy-peasy, Japaneasy.
ND has finally made a decision to schedule real games to boost their computer rankings.
They also have in the near future games with Utah, Pitt, Conn, S FL, Miami, Wake, WSU, ASU, Cin...

I say great - I love to see them lose.
I meant easy in terms of transitioning those games to a league schedule.
Stable genius.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

Stargazer wrote:So I'm guessing the Big 10 doesn't want to see us winning the title game in our first year?   We host Ohio State and Iowa... and travel to Wisconsin, Michigan and Penn State.  We play Michigan/Penn State/Iowa in a three game stretch!

I'm guessing the Big 10 wants to see large stadiums filled with fans and plenty of butts parked in front of the TV.  Ohio State/Wisconsin/Michigan/Penn State/Iowa mean five prime ABC TV games. Gotta be better than watching Big Texas football. No whining!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I've never been more sure that we're going to see a playoff within the decade than I am right now.  There's no way the B10 can run schedules like this and regularly kick out teams that 12-0 or 13-0 and playing for the NC.  Same with the PAC-12.  Wait until the B12 adds whoever they add (my money is on BYU and ND).  The SEC is already there.  Every one of those conferences (sorry ACC and Big East, you're along for the ride with the power conferences) will have a beef if an 11-2 or 12-1 conference champ is left out of the NC discussion.

ABC/ESPN basically controls the exposure and coverage of the entire sport, and they know better than anyone what kind of revenue a playoff will generate.

There's no way this doesn't happen.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

An article earlier tonight stated NU's 2011 & 12 schedule features only one team that did not play in a bowl after the 2009 season:

Washington.
I think they mean the non-conference schedule.  What about Michigan?  Indiana?  Illinois?  Did any of these play in bowls?? (I'm too lazy to look, but pretty sure none of them did)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Correct.  Sorry I wasn't clear on that.
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Stargazer wrote:

Washington.
I think they mean the non-conference schedule.  What about Michigan?  Indiana?  Illinois?  Did any of these play in bowls?? (I'm too lazy to look, but pretty sure none of them did)
Michigan is the only conference opponent to not play in a bowl
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Big E wrote:Wait until the B12 adds whoever they add (my money is on BYU and ND).
Why would Notre Dame turn down the Big Ten just to join the Big Twelve?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

OmahaBen wrote:
Big E wrote:Wait until the B12 adds whoever they add (my money is on BYU and ND).
Why would Notre Dame turn down the Big Ten just to join the Big Twelve?
There's no way the B12 continues without a conference championship game.  Whether that means the conference completely dissolves or they expand back to 12 or more is TBD.  Either way, whatever the B12 does sets off another round of fun.  The only question is will they do it before the B10 does.

I see Jim Delaney making one last effort to get ND by threatening more expansion plans.

Either A:  If you join us we'll only also go after Rutgers and call it good.

or B: If you don't join us we're going after Rutgers and any other large market team in the Big East (think Pitt, UConn, Cincinnati, etc), thereby destroying the Big East as a BCS conference and your non-football scheduling becomes impossible.

If any one of the BCS conferences goes past 12 teams to 14 or 16, you can bet that one or more other conferences will follow.  Pretty soon, scheduling as an independent becomes a nightmare.  Assuming Texas isn't an independent at that point (or that the SEC, PAC12 and MWC haven't absorbed what's left of the B12), the most likely candidates for the B12 to stay together are BYU and ND, as they both bring national and regional markets that the B12 currently doesn't have (the B12 cares not for TCU.)

This is nowhere near close to over.  It just might be quiet for a couple years as TV contracts trickle out.
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote: I see Jim Delaney making one last effort to get ND by threatening more expansion plans.
He already did that by saying they would expand "possibly" to 9 conference games in 2015.  This will force a number of Big 10 to drop ND from their nonconference, leaving ND in a bad spot.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

But....I thought the 'Skers were going to blow through the Big 10/12, since it's so inferior to the real Big 12/10, according to all the fans.    :;):
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan