The Big 10 thread

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

S33 wrote:Wonder why the Big12 hasn't thought to tell Fox Sports and Versus to go blow a donkey and create their own network?
Texas wants their own.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

You know, between Rice, Houston, Baylor, A&M, UT, TT, UTEP, TCU, Southern Methodist, and North Texas, they may as well start their own league.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Sooooo...in a far fetched farce of athletic, um, jockeying...

UNL moves to the Big 10.  UNO declares Division I and takes UNL's place in the Big 12 and all of a sudden Husker Nation's collective head explodes...

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

almighty_tuna wrote:Sooooo...in a far fetched farce of athletic, um, jockeying...

UNL moves to the Big 10.  UNO declares Division I and takes UNL's place in the Big 12 and all of a sudden Husker Nation's collective head explodes...
Good thing you're pretty.
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

the big 14?  Doesn't have quite the ring to it that the big 10 does.  That's why they didn't switch from the big 10 to the big 11 after adding Penn State.  But it would be fun to go see nebraska play in chicago.
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

thenewguy wrote:the big 14?  Doesn't have quite the ring to it that the big 10 does.  That's why they didn't switch from the big 10 to the big 11 after adding Penn State.  But it would be fun to go see nebraska play in chicago.
Except the Big XII already owns rights to the names Big 14 and Big 16....
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

icejammer wrote:
thenewguy wrote:the big 14?  Doesn't have quite the ring to it that the big 10 does.  That's why they didn't switch from the big 10 to the big 11 after adding Penn State.  But it would be fun to go see nebraska play in chicago.
Really?  How come?
Go Cubs Go
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

S33 wrote:Wonder why the Big12 hasn't thought to tell Fox Sports and Versus to go blow a donkey and create their own network?
They still have, I think, two years left on the current contract with Fox Sports....so not much they can do at the moment.  And Yes, we won't hear anything official until around June 30th.  That's the fiscal end of the year for the Big XII and the deadline for teams to give their 2 year notice that they are leaving the league.

IF this happens, one thing I would love is for them to have a yearly out-of-conference game with Oklahoma.  It's a pipe dream, but I'd love to have that rivalry game back.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

thenewguy wrote:
icejammer wrote:
Really?  How come?

When the Big 12 was formed they secured the rights to Big 12, Big 14, and Big 16 at that time.  Looking ahead I guess.  It was well covered at the time.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The Big 10 won't need to change their name if they hit 16... just their base unit. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Because the various Fox Sports networks are available in about 90 million homes in the US.  Versus is back up to about 75 million homes in the US, now that DirecTV gave up on their vendetta.

The Big Ten Network.... just celebrated cracking the 45 million home barrier.

It's an interesting dichotomy.  The Big Ten Network is doing even better than they dreamed financially; it's turned a $66 million profit above the rights fees they pay back to the member schools.  But that financial benefit comes at the expense of visibility.  Less than half of the cable/satellite homes in this country get BTN.

That's why Nebraska is being pursued for the Big Ten. It's not the TV's in Nebraska...it's another brand name to convince cable companies to pick up BTN.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

On 1620 they were saying something about the Pac10 inviting 6 of the Big 12 teams including Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma to join the Pac-10.

I think it was the Big 12 South but changing Baylor out for Colorado.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

http://omaha.com/article/20100603/BIGRE ... the-pac-10
Lee Barfknecht, Omaha World-Harold wrote:2:25 p.m.: Are the bombs about to drop on the Big 12 Conference?

Orangebloods.com, the Texas rivals site, is reporting this afternoon through anonymous sources that six Big 12 teams have been invited to join the Pac-10 -- Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Colorado.

The story by Chip Brown, former Texas beat writer at the Dallas Morning News, indicates that the expanded league would have two eight-team divisions. Arizona and Arizona State would go in with the six current Big 12 schools.

Advertising
We're walking the hallways right now looking for details.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

the latest from frank the tank (commenting on the orangebloods.com report that the Pac-10 will "swallow up half of the Big 12")

frank the tank wrote:My understanding is that Nebraska is a lock to be invited to the Big Ten.  I have had multiple independent corroborations that the main substance of the infamous Northwestern message board rumor (which has disappeared from the Rivals site in the same manner as the missing minutes from the Watergate tapes) is correct, where the Big Ten’s intended invitees are Nebraska, Texas and Notre Dame.

I’ve received indications that Nebraska could be invited to the Big Ten quickly (possibly in the next week), where the conference would grant the school a fully vested revenue share (including a full stake in the Big Ten Network) in order to cover the higher Big XII exit fees for a 1-year notice period for leaving.  This would allow the Huskers to begin Big Ten play for the 2011 football season.

THERE IS NO SCHOOL MORE LIKELY TO END UP IN THE BIG TEN THAN NEBRASKA.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So I wonder what is going to happen to KU/KSU/ISU ?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mountain West. It is what Kansas deserves for voting with Tejas.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:So I wonder what is going to happen to KU/KSU/ISU ?
Higher on my list is wondering what is going to happen to the Huskers.   Nothing is set yet and it is a very turbulent landscape.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

nebugeater wrote:
thenewguy wrote:
icejammer wrote:
Really?  How come?

When the Big 12 was formed they secured the rights to Big 12, Big 14, and Big 16 at that time.  Looking ahead I guess.  It was well covered at the time.
Of course, the Big XII has to prove it actually uses the marks to maintain its rights. Normally that isn't an issue, but the Lanham Act requires a mark to be used in commerce to prevent squatting like this.

Since I haven't exactly seen them use the "Big 14" or "Big 16" mark anywhere, it's at least questionable whether they'd have a case should the Big 10 desire to change its name.

Edit: in fact, a quick search on the Patent and Trademark Office's site shows that the Big Twelve has had to re-file its trademark to the "big 14" twice, since the first two times the marks were considered abandoned. Doesn't look like they ever tried to trademark "Big 16."
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I still think they should stick with the hexadecimal Big 0x10 .
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big 12 breakup a federal case?
Joseph Morton WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:If that happens, at least two lawmakers — one from Kansas, the other from Iowa — suggested that congressional action is possible. “Don't be the domino that blows college football up into four major conferences and gets rid of the NCAA,” a World-Herald reporter heard the Kansas senator tell Nelson. “It isn't going to do anybody any good when those dominoes start falling.”

Roberts suggested a Big 12 break-up could result in only four major conferences and even the demise of the NCAA. “I think the big concern here that Congress could take a look at is how the network television contracts are driving different schools to consider different conferences to attract the money — and those that will be in those big conferences, or super conferences, will get the money and others won't,” Roberts said.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Seaton: Two hidden agendas seems to be driving realignment
Manhattan Mercury wrote:First, I believe the Big Ten's agenda is to corner Notre Dame. The Big Ten (which has 11 members) wants to get to 12 so that it can have a football championship game. More importantly, it also wants to expand the reach of its TV network. What it really wants, it seems to me, is Notre Dame's national TV appeal. It has previously been unable to get Notre Dame to join, but by intentionally setting off this speculative frenzy, it has raised the possibility of the creation of mega-conferences — with Notre Dame on the outside looking in. Think of it this way: The Big Ten has effectively put a gun to Notre Dame's head, saying: "Either join us now as the 12th member, or else be forced to join us later as the 16th, with less money and less influence."

Second, I think Nebraska's agenda is really to try to change the structure of the Big 12. They feel like they're entitled to be a power in football, and they don't like the way Texas has used the gusher of TV money in the Big 12 era to position itself as the center of the conference.  So they're using this situation as a way to try to leverage a different revenue-sharing arrangement out of the Big 12.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Notre Dame Is at Center of Expansion Discussion
New York Times wrote:In March, on an unseasonably warm morning in New York City, Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick seemed to push the collegiate conference expansion discussion from theory to reality. He told a small group of reporters that the Irish would reconsider their football independence if it appeared that “seismic” change to the college football landscape was on the horizon. Three months later, it appears that Swarbrick and Notre Dame have the ability to prevent that potential seismic shift. Who said that Notre Dame, even in times of football struggle, was irrelevant?

It is clear that the Irish would prefer to stay as an independent, which Swarbrick has vehemently maintained, but he is potentially facing a conundrum: Does Notre Dame become the 12th team in the Big Ten or does it risk being forced to later join the conference as the 16th team? Well, it is not a stretch to think that Notre Dame’s attempt to stay an independent could create a setting for “seismic change.” The Big 12 would disappear. The Big East could be raided by the Big Ten and perhaps the Atlantic Coast Conference. That could mean that suddenly, Notre Dame would not have a place for all of its teams in other sports to play; a majority of the nonfootball teams are in the Big East. Hence, “a scenario” has been created.

So as college sports brace for drastic change — or perhaps little change — everything appears to hinge on Notre Dame. Can the Irish stay as an independent and still maintain a stake in playing for the national title? No one is sure. But during this tense time, Notre Dame’s independent football fate has turned into a billion-dollar question.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Coyote wrote:Seaton: Two hidden agendas seems to be driving realignment
Manhattan Mercury wrote:First, I believe the Big Ten's agenda is to corner Notre Dame. The Big Ten (which has 11 members) wants to get to 12 so that it can have a football championship game. More importantly, it also wants to expand the reach of its TV network. What it really wants, it seems to me, is Notre Dame's national TV appeal. It has previously been unable to get Notre Dame to join, but by intentionally setting off this speculative frenzy, it has raised the possibility of the creation of mega-conferences — with Notre Dame on the outside looking in. Think of it this way: The Big Ten has effectively put a gun to Notre Dame's head, saying: "Either join us now as the 12th member, or else be forced to join us later as the 16th, with less money and less influence."

Second, I think Nebraska's agenda is really to try to change the structure of the Big 12. They feel like they're entitled to be a power in football, and they don't like the way Texas has used the gusher of TV money in the Big 12 era to position itself as the center of the conference.  So they're using this situation as a way to try to leverage a different revenue-sharing arrangement out of the Big 12.
I think Nebraska has a hidden agenda here...but it has absolutely ZILCH to do with sports or Texas or television.  The World-Herald had the story this morning.
Simply associating with the Big Ten could pull up UNL's academic reputation, making it easier to attract top students and win federal research grants, several professors said.

But there are also concrete ways UNL could be improved by a move to the Big Ten.

Chief among those is the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, a group of the Big Ten universities and the prestigious University of Chicago, which doesn't play NCAA Division I sports. The CIC leads a slew of collaborations between its members.

The group shares more than 60 specialized undergraduate classes. For example, students at Michigan can easily take a foreign language course not available at Michigan but offered at Minnesota, said Thomas Sullivan, the University of Minnesota's provost.

It shares a fiber-optic network that drives down the cost of computing, and a Google partnership will eventually result in the complete digitization of each Big Ten university's library.

The CIC also makes it easier for doctoral students and university researchers at various Big Ten schools to partner, said Barbara Allen, director of the CIC — research collaborations that bring in some of the gigantic federal grants that every university wants.

“It's great to play on Saturday, but all the rest of the time we're working on curriculum, research, infrastructure,” said Sullivan, the University of Minnesota provost. “It's much broader than the sports we see on TV.”

The possibility of partnering with prestigious Big Ten universities is catnip to high-powered UNL researchers such as Charles Wood, director of the Nebraska Center for Virology. The University of Wisconsin-Madison and Northwestern University have outstanding programs in virology and cancer research, he said.

Collaborating with those and other Big Ten schools “would probably enhance the (UNL) academic program, not only for virology but for other academic programs as well,” he said.

Penn State University is proof positive that associating with the Big Ten would most likely enhance any university, professors and administrators there say.

In 1990, when Penn State joined the conference, the university's professor salaries were lower than those of their new counterparts. Penn State also brought in fewer top-notch students and fewer federal research dollars than many other Big Ten schools, said Nichols, the former faculty president.

Now the college is virtually indistinguishable from other Big Ten schools. It collected and spent some $400 million in federal research money in 2008 — the 15th highest total in the country — and was rated the 15th best public university in the country last year.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100609/N ... -field-too

I've been told the money involved on the academic side dwarfs the money on the athletic side of the house.  Granted, the incremental costs to the athletic department of switching to the Big Ten are much lower than the incremental costs of increasing research. But when you consider the investment UNL is making at the former State Fairgrounds, it's becoming clear that if the Big Ten wants Nebraska, it wouldn't matter what the Big XII did.  Move the Big XII championship game to Lincoln, play all eight conference games in Lincoln, move the Big XII basketball tournaments to Omaha. turn Bevo into a giant Husker burger, give Nebraska half of the entire conference's TV revenue...it wouldn't matter.  Nebraska would still go to the Big Ten.
Last edited by HskrFanMike on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Seaton: Two hidden agendas seems to be driving realignment

That is what I seem to think if Nebraska can get Texas to give Nebraska some of the perks Texas has had since the beginning of the Big XII than they will probly be willing to stay.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have also heard the academic spin to Nebraska's switch to the Big Eleven, and am beginning to see this as one of the major reasons. I was trying to find that commission sited on the article - but my brother used a different name that I was searching for. The research money is what they may be after.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Fox Sports Ohio claims the offer is official.  I believe it when I see it at this point.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/06/09/10/R ... eedID=3724
By Jeff Seemann
Fox Sports Ohio
June 9, 2010

After a weekend of denials and hushed discussions, the Big Ten will expand to 12 teams as early as Friday. Reports are emerging that the Nebraska Cornhuskers will become the 12th team in the league.

The Big Ten has officially offered an invitation to Nebraska.
Not much more to the article than what you've already read aside from that all important "officially" claim, but this is the first one I've read that has made said claim.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

After reading some more on how U Texas pulls the strings in the Big12, I'm all for it. Plus, if Nebraska and Iowa could play on a bi-yearly basis instead of once every ten years, it would shut some people up on both sides.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

HskrFanMike wrote:I've been told the money involved on the academic side dwarfs the money on the athletic side of the house.
CIC has $5.6 BILLION, divide that by 12 and its $467 million.
Last edited by Coyote on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Chip Brown from orangebloods.com was just on SportCenter live as the leads story basically saying the deal is done and expect the formal announcement Friday, if not sooner.  

Also assume the B12 dies a quick, ugly death as the South-minus-Baylor+Colorado bolts for the Pac16.
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

All signs are pointing to a Nebraska move to the Big Ten.
ESPN wrote:A source close to the Nebraska program told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that athletic director Tom Osborne informed athletic staff members within the past 24 hours that the Cornhuskers were going to make the move to the Big Ten conference.

A source close to the Nebraska Board of Regents told Orangebloods.com the regents met informally Wednesday and have agreed to move to the Big Ten and that a formal announcement Nebraska is leaving will come Friday -- the deadline set by the Big 12 for Nebraska and Missouri to state whether they intend to leave the conference.

However, the source told Katz the consensus within the athletic department is that Nebraska wouldn't separate itself from the Big 12 without some assurance that a Big Ten invitation would come. Katz's source said the direction of the school is leaning toward the Big Ten, but there was no indication of when the Big Ten invitation would occur. The Big Ten has set no date for any announcement in the coming weeks, leaving open the possibility that Nebraska could be left in limbo.

Missouri appears to be falling down the list of priorities for the Big Ten. An athletic director with knowledge of the Big Ten told Orangebloods.com, "Missouri is getting cold shoulder from Big Ten." The Big Ten announced late last year it is considering adding at least one school, and possibly more, to add a league championship game in football and broaden the reach of its cable television network.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska to leave Big 12 for Big Ten
Chicago Tribune wrote:A source with knowledge of the expansion talks has confirmed to the Tribune that Nebraska will be invited to apply for Big Ten membership. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Sunday that the league "could act and act again" - meaning that expansion could occur in phases.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Coyote wrote:Nebraska to leave Big 12 for Big Ten
Chicago Tribune wrote:A source with knowledge of the expansion talks has confirmed to the Tribune that Nebraska will be invited to apply for Big Ten membership. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Sunday that the league "could act and act again" - meaning that expansion could occur in phases.

ESPN was reporting on it too.  Been running on the ticker for a while now.  Plus, all my friends are lending their expert opinion on why nebraska sucks, or why nebraska will own the big 10.  Funny how that works. :)
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

thenewguy wrote:or why nebraska will own the big 10.  
In baseball for sure. The NU vs Minnesota matchups will turn into a great rivalry.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah a new guy at work before I moved was tellling me (or anyone that would listen) how Nebraska would own the Big 10. Every year.  :roll:

Anyone that actually believes this needs to put down the koolaide and/or be sterilized.

My honest opinion is that they will fit in well, and yes be very competitive. But if you think they are going to roll Penn St, Ohio St, Iowa, Michigan, etc every year, go play in traffic. It won't be a cakewalk for anybody.
lnkS
Home Owners Association

Post by lnkS »

the1wags wrote:Yeah a new guy at work before I moved was tellling me (or anyone that would listen) how Nebraska would own the Big 10. Every year.  :roll:

Anyone that actually believes this needs to put down the koolaide and/or be sterilized.

My honest opinion is that they will fit in well, and yes be very competitive. But if you think they are going to roll Penn St, Ohio St, Iowa, Michigan, etc every year, go play in traffic. It won't be a cakewalk for anybody.
Well, probably not Penn State, Ohio State, or Michigan (although in their current state, hopefully).
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

the1wags wrote:My honest opinion is that they will fit in well, and yes be very competitive. But if you think they are going to roll Penn St, Ohio St, Iowa, Michigan, etc every year, go play in traffic
Just Iowa, |expletive|.  

:;): <---smiley, which makes swearing OK
Stable genius.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

I'll be perfectly happy to exchange stomping Colorado on a yearly basis for stomping Iowa on a yearly basis.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Lap up that koolaide cornheads. Who went to and won a BCS game last year? I'll help you guys out cause I know your slow. It wasn't Nebraska. You guys need to quit living in the 90's. Things have changed. Anyone not dilusional knows it will be a competative series.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I think it'll be interesting to see how Nebraska does. I definitely don't think we'll steam roll through the conference. I can see some good games with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan State. Of course, it's hard to tell where teams will be in 2012.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Coyote wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote:I've been told the money involved on the academic side dwarfs the money on the athletic side of the house.
CIC has $5.6 BILLION, divide that by 12 and its $467 million.
the CIC money does not get divided equally, however. Michigan and Wisconsin (and U of Chicago, as a founding Big Ten member and still member of the CIC) pull down roughly a billion a piece.

Nevertheless, Nebraska will surely get a decent increase. The smallest Big Televen school gets 350-400 million in research money. Nebraska currently gets something like $120 million.