Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube][/youtube]
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Funny, just a short time ago people were telling us no way the Big 10 would ever want/take Nebraska....

Greg
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Whatever.  I don't trust Matthew Broderick.  He's very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
Stable genius.
Skersy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Skersy »

Collapse of Big 12 means big uncertainties for KC, Mizzou, KU and K-State

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/12/20 ... nties.html

Interest thoughts on what this does for the Kansas City area and those three schools. What I'm sure is going to happen slowly over the next ten years + is that you are going to see the University of Nebraska grow into a bigger and more prestigious university with coop efforts of the Big 10 Conference. More research dollars, more students, more exposure, more alumni and so on. The interesting to think about is what does this do for the Omaha and Lincoln area. We could be looking someday at one of the top public and private university in the country in our metro area. Like the article talks about you are going to see a hit to the Kansas City area sports landscape and a big hit to the Sprint Center. It makes you wonder if over the next 10 to 20 years if we pick up what Kansas City has lost in terms of not only events but other things that sometimes go hand and hand with athletic exposure.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Starting to sound as if the Big 12 will remain largely intact... I was hoping it would collapse, so we didn't have to give every remaining team in the conference an emotional edge this fall.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just announced on ESPN. Texas will try to keep the conference together.
TV contract: Texas and Oklahoma get $20 mill, the rest of the conference $3-7 mill.
aTm is also staying.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Big 12 (-2) survives
WORLD-HERALD PRESS SERVICES wrote:University of Texas officials have told the Austin American-Statesman that all 10 schools have signed off on a new deal that would keep the league alive. The Daily Oklahoman reported that Texas and Oklahoma stood to bring in about $20 million annual from the television contract with the other schools making about $14 million. The remaining schools also would divide about $20 million in penalties to be paid by Nebraska and Colorado for leaving the league.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wisconsin Football: Could Nebraska Be the Badgers' Next Rival?
Bleacher Report wrote:Could Wisconsin have another rival in the Big Ten? Well, if Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema has anything to say about it, Nebraska—the newest addition to the Big Ten—would be that rival. And, not only would it possibly be for a trophy, but it would be the last regular-season game of the year, a la Ohio State-Michigan. If this does happen, a Nebraska-Wisconsin rivalry has the potential to become one of the great battles in college football.

But, don't jump to conclusions just yet. Although Wisconsin may be the first to make a play for a Nebraska rivalry, they certainly won't be the only one. Iowa, the Big Ten school which will be located closest to Lincoln, will certainly push for a rivalry with the Cornhuskers. And, although it's located over a thousand miles away, Penn State—the last new addition to the conference—could look for a rivalry with Nebraska because of their lack of a true rival within the conference.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think Minnesota will always be Wisconsin's primary rival (ie Paul Bunyan trophy)... and I would think that Nebraska is a natural rival for Iowa however.

One need look only as far as what one of Des Moines' TV stations did last night to see that they're already anxious to start throwing |expletive| our way.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I think this is great.  NU goes to the Big 10 and gets to sit at the big people table & what's left of the Big 12 looks like Bluto & the guys who were sitting on the couch at the beginning of Animal House.  I just can't decide which one is Jugdish.

Meanwhile, I like this post from the KCRag forum....

"Nebraska could actually fade into athletic obscurity.  Like everyone else in the Big XII, they recruited heavily from Texas and I suspect they will lose that recruiting ground.  One of my major concerns about Mizzou going to the big XII was trying to break into recruiting territory where loyalties have long been established, it will be interesting to see if Nebraska can suceed there."

Well, that might be right.  Why play for a team that will be playing Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, etc. when you could be playing Iowa State, Kansas, Baylor, etc.?  NU recruits in Florida and New Jersey and California as well now, so given the move to the Big 10 that will go away too?

This is the best thing to happen to NU since they came up with the recipe for Husker Cheese at the dairy store on the east campus.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NU vs Minn Baseball will be a huge rivalry. NU vs Penn St. Volleyball will be epic. NU Basketball sucks.
NU vs Iowa (Farmageddon) looks like a natural football rivalry, but this was initiated by Wisconsin.
I would have to think Barry Alvarez is behind this. Minnesota has not had a great season in forever.
So in then end the three real coming epic rivalries will be between NU vs Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn St. probably in that order.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The bad news in all this with NU and CU leaving - 4 fewer automatic wins for certain Big XII North teams in basketball....

The good news in all this with NU and CU leaving - conference RPI will skyrocket!    :yes:
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Twiztid1 wrote:And yet through all this we've found out how insignificant basketball is in college athletics.  Football is the only sport that really matters.
Insignificant? Hardly.  Maxed out?  Probably.

98% of the money basketball can reasonably make is already being made via the tournament, and would likely continue to do so if conferences changed dramatically (maybe even dissolved entirely).
Stable genius.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Twiztid1 wrote:And yet through all this we've found out how insignificant basketball is in college athletics.  Football is the only sport that really matters.
True. :)

{ducking and running} :)
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The bad news in all this with NU and CU leaving - 4 fewer automatic wins for certain Big XII North teams in basketball....

The good news in all this with NU and CU leaving - conference RPI will skyrocket!
Why stop at basketball... I was somewhat shocked to learn that NU is second only to Texas in total all sports Big 12 conference titles.  The Big 10 may be surprised to discover that NU can play more than just football.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Stargazer wrote:

The good news in all this with NU and CU leaving - conference RPI will skyrocket!
Why stop at basketball... I was somewhat shocked to learn that NU is second only to Texas in total all sports Big 12 conference titles.  The Big 10 may be surprised to discover that NU can play more than just football.
Other than Kansas basketball program what other Big 12 school has had any team even half way competitive in any sport?
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

There's a lot more than just football/basketball... so we're to believe that when it comes to women's sports, olympic sports, wrestling, etc, etc... that Texas and NU are IT?  Perhaps it's our dominating bowling program.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

DTO Luv wrote:Other than Kansas basketball program what other Big 12 school has had any team even half way competitive in any sport?
????  Oklahoma?

And BTW....
(KU, KSU, ISU, BU, Mizzou) agreed to sign over their share of CU/NU's buyout money to UT/OU/A&M.
LOL!
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

DTO Luv wrote:
Other than Kansas basketball program what other Big 12 school has had any team even half way competitive in any sport?
Actually, the Big12 is probably the most competitive all-around conference in the country. Even football aside.

Everything from wrestling, volleyball, baseball, basketball, skiing, track n field... and a list of others.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Zilla wrote:
(KU, KSU, ISU, BU, Mizzou) agreed to sign over their share of CU/NU's buyout money to UT/OU/A&M.
LOL!
Whoah, where did that come from and why did those idiots fold and sign over the shares?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

All I've seen that as is a rumor at this point.  Did it get confirmed somewhere?
Stable genius.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

It's popped up on a couple tweets and some recent articles around the proposed "deal" to keep the BigXII together.  It's not "done" yet so to speak.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Sounds like extortion to me. Demanding the lesser universities give up their rightful share to CU and NU's fine in order to secure a UT/OU non-departure while knowing that by the "lesser universities" not doing so would result in great harm to their athletic programs and universities as a whole.

And I'm not using "extortion" loosely here. If that "deal" is to be true, it's just wrong. Aren't there a couple attorneys around here to confirm/deny whether this could be considered extortion?  :;):
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

... one of the reasons Nebraska left the Longhorns. But don't give them an upsidedown longhorn hand signal, Vince Young will get upset and go Chuck Norris on you.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big E wrote:All I've seen that as is a rumor at this point.  Did it get confirmed somewhere?
Missouri has trust in Big 12's ability to increase revenue
Missourian wrote:But it remains to be seen how exactly the estimated $20 million in combined fees Nebraska and Colorado now owe the conference for leaving will be doled out.

In a press conference given by Beebe on Tuesday morning, he indicated that Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Iowa State and Missouri were willing to forego their shares of the penalty money to Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma in an attempt to keep them from jumping conferences.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Two things OK State actually has the most national championships in the conference and Texas is now the supreme ruler of the Big 12(10).  Good luck with this decision to bow down to UT in 5 years other 9 schools.
Skersy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Skersy »

If we need any confirmation that Nebraska's move to the Big 10 was a smart move then just look at the comments from league members of both conferences about us. Big 10 members have welcomed us with open arms and kind words and the Big 12 talks down to us like they will be better off with out us. Note to Big 12 schools that are staying put especially Missouri...you started the talk of leaving the conference because major issues like money not being handed out evenly and not every school acting on the best interest of the conference yet on the best interest of their school like Texas wanting their own tv network verse a conference network. So enjoy the next six years of the Big 12 because thats when I predict this conference is going to dissolve because the financial separation will alone get worse with schools like Kansas, Kansas St and Iowa St getting less money and the big boys like Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma getting more money.
Skersy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Skersy »

So the Big 12 (now 10) remains alive -- and remains troubled. If freshly empowered Texas continues to want more revenue share and more say-so, and if its Big 12 peers continue to chafe about the imbalance of power, an already shaky alliance won't get any stronger.

Sure, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State and Baylor are happy today -- they were just spared conference homelessness. But happiness is a temporary emotion. If the revenue gap continues to widen between the most favored programs (add Oklahoma and Texas A&M to that list) and everyone else, so will the on-field gap.

The melding of Big Eight and Southwest Conference schools was never an easy alchemy. Just because two old Big Eight schools are out -- one cranky, one flaky -- that doesn't create perfect harmony.
ESPN agrees....
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

Big 10 Games to watch:  Nebraska - Ohio State, Nebraska - Michigan, Nebraska - Penn State, Nebraska - Iowa, Nebraska - Wisconsin. Looks like a win-win for NU and the Big 10. And what about a non-conference game between Nebraska and Oklahoma?

What is left for the Big 12 Game-o-the-Weak? Texas - Oklahoma might have a national draw as long as the winner is going to a BCS bowl, but what else? Texas - A&M? Okalahoma - A&M? Texas might thrive with their own network and A&M and OU hold their own on tradition but the little 7 will wilt. I just don't see the conference generating the TV revenue that is projected based on just two or three big conference games a year. Who'd a thunk the Big 12 would become a basketball conference?

Yea, I'll miss watching Nebraska stomp Colorado..but I'll root for anyone that is stomping on Colorado including USC, Standford, Oregon, Arizona....

I do think Perlman and NU have done a very good job of improving academically over the last 20 years. I too had heard the Big 10 didn't think NU could make the grade academically back when Penn State was added to the league. The BIG 10 is a good move for Nebraska.
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big Ten A.D.s say East-West split not a given
Rich Kaipust WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:The alignment of divisions is one of the most intriguing elements to be decided — and the most common sentiment is for an East-West split. Not so fast, say both Alvarez and Minnesota Athletic Director Joel Maturi. “I have a gut feeling — and this is Joel Maturi guessing, this is no discussion — but I don’t think it’ll be done just geographically,” Maturi said. “A lot of fans tend to think it will. Competitively, longtime rivalries are going to be looked at and tried to be protected. We all have a different view of what that might be.” “I want to make sure our schedules are balanced from a competitive standpoint. We need to make sure they’re fair. And I just want to make sure that if we’re to split into divisions that you don’t have some barriers that say you only play people on the other side of the division fence on a very infrequent basis.”
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just looking at the new bowl vacation destinations:

Big Ten Bowl Tie-ins - Hello Florida
  • Rose Bowl Game: Pasadena, California (Big Ten champion against Pac-10 champion)
  • Capital One Bowl: Orlando, Florida (Big Ten #2 pick against SEC #2 pick)
  • Outback Bowl: Tampa, Florida (Big Ten #3 pick against SEC #3/4 pick)
  • Gator Bowl: Jacksonville, Florida (Big Ten #4/5 pick against SEC pick)
  • Insight Bowl: Tempe, Arizona (Big Ten #4/5 pick against Big 12 pick)
  • Texas Bowl: Houston, Texas (Big Ten #6 pick against Big 12 #6 pick)
  • Dallas Football Classic: Dallas, Texas (Big Ten #7 pick against Conference USA or #8 Big 12)
  • Little Caesars Pizza Bowl Detroit, Michigan (Big Ten #8 pick against MAC champion)
Big XII Bowl Tie-ins
  • Fiesta Bowl: Glendale, Arizona (Big 12 No. 1 vs. BCS At-Large)
  • Cotton Bowl: Dallas, Texas (Classic Big 12 No. 2 vs. SEC No. 3/4/5)
  • Insight Bowl: Tuscon, Arizona (Big 12 No. 3 vs Big Ten No. 4/5)
  • Holiday Bowl: San Diego, California (Big 12 No. 4 vs Pac-10 No. 3)
  • Alamo Bowl: San Antonio, Texas (Big 12 No. 5 vs Pac-10 No. 2)
  • Texas Bowl: Houston, Texas (Big 12 No. 6 vs. Big Ten No. 6)
  • Pinstripe Bowl: Bronx, New York (Big 12 No. 7 vs Big East No. 4)
  • Dallas Football Classic: Dallas, Texas - 2010, 2012 (Big 12 No. 8 or Conference USA vs Big Ten No. 8)
  • EagleBank Bowl: Washington, D.C. - 2011, 2013 (Big 12 No. 8 vs ACC No. 8)
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

mrdwhsr wrote: I do think Perlman and NU have done a very good job of improving academically over the last 20 years. I too had heard the Big 10 didn't think NU could make the grade academically back when Penn State was added to the league. The BIG 10 is a good move for Nebraska.
They interviewed someone from Penn State a couple of weeks ago.  He was pretty candid about Penn State academically not even close to the Big Ten when PSU joined.  If you compare then and now you'll see what Penn State was able to do & you'll also see the future for NU.  

There is an old line" If you want to play better tennis, play tennis with people who are better than you.  Nebraska wasn't helped by being in the big 12, in any way.  Hanging with the likes of Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan, etc. vs. Iowa State, Kansas State, etc. is a no brainer.  Hey, NU might even play better tennis.  I'd look for a lot more research $$ coming NU's way in the not too distant future.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

UNL has actually done a phenomenal job of starting to raise the bar over the last 10 years... this Big 10 association should just accelerate that.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

They interviewed someone from Penn State a couple of weeks ago.  He was pretty candid about Penn State academically not even close to the Big Ten when PSU joined.  If you compare then and now you'll see what Penn State was able to do & you'll also see the future for NU.
"Someone" is not entirely candid, Penn State was very respected academically prior to their admission to the Big 10, certainly moreso than the bottom tier of Big 10 schools.
NovakOmaha wrote:There is an old line" If you want to play better tennis, play tennis with people who are better than you.  Nebraska wasn't helped by being in the big 12, in any way.  Hanging with the likes of Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan, etc. vs. Iowa State, Kansas State, etc. is a no brainer.  Hey, NU might even play better tennis.  I'd look for a lot more research $$ coming NU's way in the not too distant future.
While Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan, etc. are more highly regarded than Iowa State, Kansas State, etc., universities that live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing sticks - I'd turn around what you say and assert that the Big 12 wasn't being much helped by Nebraska, as they're middle of the pack in the Big 12 academically.  I'd quite frankly be shocked if Nebraska is ever ranked higher than the top 4 Big 12 schools in my lifetime or ever got out of the bottom rung of Big 10 schools academically.  With that said, I will say that Nebraska is light-years ahead of where they were 25 years ago.

US News & World Report College Rankings

Big 10 Schools:
Northwestern - #12
Michigan - #27
Illinois - #39 (tie)
Wisconsin - #39 (tie)
Penn State - #47
Ohio State - #53
Minnesota - #61 (tie)
Purdue - #61 (tie)
Indiana - #71 (tie)
Michigan State - #71 (tie)
Iowa - #71 (tie)

Big 12 Schools:
Texas - #47
Texas A&M - #61 (tie)
Colorado - #77
Baylor - #81
Iowa State - #88
Kansas - #96 (tie)
Nebraska #96 (tie)
Missouri - #102 (tie)
Oklahoma - #102 (tie)
Kansas State - NR (Tier 3)
Oklahoma State - NR (Tier 3)
Texas Tech - NR (Tier 3)
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

icejammer wrote:
"Someone" is not entirely candid, Penn State was very respected academically prior to their admission to the Big 10, certainly moreso than the bottom tier of Big 10 schools.
NovakOmaha wrote:There is an old line" If you want to play better tennis, play tennis with people who are better than you.  Nebraska wasn't helped by being in the big 12, in any way.  Hanging with the likes of Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan, etc. vs. Iowa State, Kansas State, etc. is a no brainer.  Hey, NU might even play better tennis.  I'd look for a lot more research $$ coming NU's way in the not too distant future.
While Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan, etc. are more highly regarded than Iowa State, Kansas State, etc., universities that live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing sticks - I'd turn around what you say and assert that the Big 12 wasn't being much helped by Nebraska, as they're middle of the pack in the Big 12 academically.  I'd quite frankly be shocked if Nebraska is ever ranked higher than the top 4 Big 12 schools in my lifetime or ever got out of the bottom rung of Big 10 schools academically.  With that said, I will say that Nebraska is light-years ahead of where they were 25 years ago.

US News & World Report College Rankings

Big 10 Schools:
Northwestern - #12
Michigan - #27
Illinois - #39 (tie)
Wisconsin - #39 (tie)
Penn State - #47
Ohio State - #53
Minnesota - #61 (tie)
Purdue - #61 (tie)
Indiana - #71 (tie)
Michigan State - #71 (tie)
Iowa - #71 (tie)

Big 12 Schools:
Texas - #47
Texas A&M - #61 (tie)
Colorado - #77
Baylor - #81
Iowa State - #88
Kansas - #96 (tie)
Nebraska #96 (tie)
Missouri - #102 (tie)
Oklahoma - #102 (tie)
Kansas State - NR (Tier 3)
Oklahoma State - NR (Tier 3)
Texas Tech - NR (Tier 3)
Who really gives a Saint Bernard's furry as$... We all know this move was almost 100% motivated by football and football only. So, unless you want to discuss  the future |expletive| beatings Nebraska is about to hand out to Iowa and the other mediocre football schools the conference is littered with, then no point of debating further.  :)
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

S33 wrote:Who really gives a Saint Bernard's furry as$... We all know this move was almost 100% motivated by football and football only. So, unless you want to discuss  the future |expletive| beatings Nebraska is about to hand out to Iowa and the other mediocre football schools the conference is littered with, then no point of debating further.  :)
That's a gross oversimplification.  If this was motivated by football and football only, I think Nebraska would have stayed in the Big XII.  It certainly sounds like Texas wasn't going to go anywhere, and their lapdogs A&M and Oklahoma weren't going anywhere.  Colorado, probably...but they don't matter.  Missouri probably isn't going anywhere either.

I'm not saying that football didn't matter in this discussion, but when all was said and done, I think it's a wash at best for football at Nebraska. Maybe more money, depending on what the new Big XII television contract does.  Better bowl possibilities, yes.  Better rivalries?  Hardly; the Big XII had jumped in front of the Big Ten in recent years.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

It remains to be seen whether the Big 12 even exists a few years from now.