The Big 10 thread

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

If the Big 10 has 12 teams, who pray tell are the Little 2?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nativeomahan wrote:If the Big 10 has 12 teams, who pray tell are the Little 2?
Depends which sport.  Football?  Minnesota and Indiana easy.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

iamjacobm wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:If the Big 10 has 12 teams, who pray tell are the Little 2?
Depends which sport.  Football?  Minnesota and Indiana easy.
Depends on what time frame you're looking at - if you're looking all-time, then Northwestern and Indiana.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I stand corrected.  Incessant whining on internet message boards does work:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5930029
Jim Delany has spent more than two decades as commissioner of the Big Ten, overseeing two conference expansions and the formation of the Big Ten Network.

None of it prepared him for the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the conference's new division names.

Delany said during an interview with WGN AM-720 in Chicago on Thursday that the names Legends and Leaders were picked to highlight the conference's rich history, and that "to a great extent it's fallen on deaf ears." Many fans have instead mocked the names and asked officials to reconsider, which Delany said could happen after the first of the year.
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

I vote for Snow and Rust
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The thing I do like about the names being non-directional or geographical is it allows for easy realignment down the road if necessary.  I really think the B12 suffered when the on-field power was consolidated in one division (first the north, then the south).

Hopefully the B10 will consider realignment once Nebraska dominates the conference to give Iowa a chance.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

NCAA requires loss of contests for six Ohio State football student-athletes
Five football student-athletes from The Ohio State University must sit out the first five games of the 2011 season for selling awards, gifts and university apparel and receiving improper benefits in 2009, the NCAA has determined.

A sixth football student-athlete must sit out the first game in 2011 for receiving discounted services in violation of NCAA rules.

The violations fall under the NCAA’s preferential treatment bylaws.

In addition to missing five games next season, student-athletes Mike Adams, Daniel Herron, Devier Posey, Terrelle Pryor and Solomon Thomas must repay money and benefits ranging in value from $1,000 to $2,500. The repayments must be made to a charity.

Student-athlete Jordan Whiting must sit out the first game next year and pay $150 to a charity for the value of services that were discounted because of his status as a student-athlete.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... t-athletes

Dang, Nebraska is their 6th game...
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I was kind of hoping, given the circumstances (so much for a 2011 Heisman) that Pryor would pursue opportunities in the NFL.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I would not doubt that Pryor would be looking at this - but he would not be going as a quarterback.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Meh, not overly impressed with Pryor, anyway.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Do we support the Big 10 in this bowl season or consider our rpi? Right now I find it hard to root for Mizzou over Iowa.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I am rooting Big 10.  Mostly because of the match ups though.  The teams the Big 10 plays that I really don't like: Texas Tech, Florida, Missouri, TCU, Alabama.  The three opponents I kind of like are Baylor, Mississippi St. and Arkansas.  

I am for sure rooting hard for Michigan St. and Wisconsin.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I hate Mizzery... go Hawkeyes!
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I can't decide who I hate more.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Big E wrote:Hopefully the B10 will consider realignment once Nebraska dominates the conference to give Iowa a chance.
As much of a fan as I think I am, I wouldn't at all be surprised if we get our proverbial clock cleaned the first season! (Shellacked?) :)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Yeah, that schedule looks a little less than coincidental.  A ten-win season should be considered a huge success next year.

Unless, of course, this Bubba Starling cat comes along and consumes the English with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Big E wrote:Unless, of course, this Bubba Starling cat comes along and consumes the English with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.
That name! Jeesh! (Did his parents really name him Bubba?)
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

S33 wrote:Meh, not overly impressed with Pryor, anyway.
He certainly hasn't lived up to the hype. He plays like a poor man's Tim Tebow and will probably have to convert to receiver in the NFL.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Tressel resigned this morning.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:Tressel resigned this morning.
ESPN has Urban Meyer number 1 on the list to replace him with Bo at #2.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:

Greg
Plenty of time for this to be figured out.  The DC will be interim HC for the year and they will fill to position after the next season, or so says the Columbus paper.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:

Greg
They will go this whole season with Fickell as HC so we wont see any action until 2012.  I bet he ends up as the coach in the end.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I bet interim does pretty good next year and stays.  Michigan fan is ecstatic right now, high fives are a plenty in Ann Arbor.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think how hard the NCAA hits OSU will have an impact on the next coach as well.  Will be hard to move an established coach to a team that will be limited on TV, bowls, and scholarships.  You'll also be following Tressel (did not leave the best situation but he won big at OSU, dominated Michigan and won a National Title).  I'd rather follow Bill Callahan than Tom Oscborne....

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Apparently the SI article that is due to come out is pretty scathing.  I guess tOSU AD asked Tressell if it was true or not, when he said yes they let him know he could either resign or get fired.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Well, doesn't sound like Pryor will be their quarterback next year.  Apparently is linked to over a half dozen cars over the three years he's been at tOSU.  This is something that has been known but before it was glossed as "borrowing", this SI column coming out is going to be bad...

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sp ... 0/zzz.html
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just heard on the radio that the car count might be up to 50.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So, sanctions in the USC neighborhood or the SMU neighborhood?
Stable genius.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Big E wrote:So, sanctions in the USC neighborhood or the SMU neighborhood?
I am thinking somewhere between the two.  SMU never deserved the death penalty though.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I heard a little wrong:

"The NCAA and Ohio State are also probing more than 50 car purchases by Buckeyes players, their families and friends."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:
I am thinking somewhere between the two.  SMU never deserved the death penalty though.
While SMU may not have deserved the death penalty - they deserved something as severe. They were on Probation 5 times prior to 85 when they were put on a 3 year probation. Their ultimate blunder was Bill Clements the Chairman of their Board of Governors, and Governor elect of Texas. Even after being put on probation he kept the slush funding of athletes. So this went straight to the top of the program.

For USC and OSU it appears it only went as high as the head coaches. If for OSU it was only selling of memorabilia the 5 game suspension would have stayed. But Tressel lied and we know what happened to Dez Bryant for lying that he did not have lunch with Primtime. And Tressel already lied to the NCAA while at Youngstown St.

That said, OSU had to have pressured Tressel to resign - otherwise they would have to explain why they retained his services, so now that he is gone - the only question is about the supposed 50 cars and school knowledge. Tressel should be banned from the NCAA for several years, and OSU should get something similar to USC.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
While SMU may not have deserved the death penalty - they deserved something as severe. They were on Probation 5 times prior to 85 when they were put on a 3 year probation. Their ultimate blunder was Bill Clements the Chairman of their Board of Governors, and Governor elect of Texas. Even after being put on probation he kept the slush funding of athletes. So this went straight to the top of the program.

For USC and OSU it appears it only went as high as the head coaches. If for OSU it was only selling of memorabilia the 5 game suspension would have stayed. But Tressel lied and we know what happened to Dez Bryant for lying that he did not have lunch with Primtime. And Tressel already lied to the NCAA while at Youngstown St.

That said, OSU had to have pressured Tressel to resign - otherwise they would have to explain why they retained his services, so now that he is gone - the only question is about the supposed 50 cars and school knowledge. Tressel should be banned from the NCAA for several years, and OSU should get something similar to USC.
Perhaps I should restate that.  If SMU got the death penalty then there should have been other programs out there at the same time that should have got it as well, the Eric Dickerson episode with A&M was just the tip of the iceberg what the aggies were doing during that period that would be deemed illegal but ultimately got swept under the carpet.

While some are happy about tOSU getting busted it makes me nervous as heck as a Nebraska fan.  If you don't think there is some form of this going on in Lincoln, or the capability of this occurring in the future you are naive.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:Perhaps I should restate that.  If SMU got the death penalty then there should have been other programs out there at the same time that should have got it as well, the Eric Dickerson episode with A&M was just the tip of the iceberg what the aggies were doing during that period that would be deemed illegal but ultimately got swept under the carpet.

While some are happy about tOSU getting busted it makes me nervous as heck as a Nebraska fan.  If you don't think there is some form of this going on in Lincoln, or the capability of this occurring in the future you are naive.
I think the NCAA saw what happened to SMU and would have to be forced to enforce another death penalty. As for other programs getting that ax... we will never know why SMU was singled out and the other violating schools left alone. I still think it was because it went all the way to the Board of Governor's approving payments to players even after they were cited. Clements later stated why he didn't admit to knowledge of this: because there was not a bible in the room.

ESPN Radio was talking about other schools today. When the NCAA puts a school under a microscope because of maybe even minor infractions - look out. I agree with you, from boosters providing no show jobs, cars at discounts, pocket cash, selling tickets almost any school could be found with violations. After Armen Keteyian's book in the late 80's I thought NU's program was going to suffer. You never know when the hammer might come down.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Considering the previous issues under Tressel (at YSU and OSU under Earle Bruce) I can't see how the NCAA can't come down harder than they did on USC.  They simply have to to maintain credibility after their limp-wristed swipe at Alabama and Mississippi State and the Congressional interest in the BCS.  Yes, I know the NCAA and BCS are separate... which is exactly why the NCAA needs to at least pretend to be on the moral high-ground after the Fiesta/Junker fiasco.

I don't think this thing is even close to being done, either.  You're going to see some finger pointing and in-front-of-the-bus throwing on an American Gangster level by the time this all wraps up.
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

As time goes on - and now they say the 6 memorabilia infractions now are 28 going back to 2002 - I don't see this ending soon. More rumors coming out of students and expensive cars driven by players...

I think the NCAA wants to start sending messages to schools. They have shielded their bread and butter schools in the past. But after USC - OSU might be their next message.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

The big state schools should start their own league and tell the governing powers to go to heck. There are probably 50-60 schools that could pay football/basketball players and still rake in money.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

ThatGuy wrote:The big state schools should start their own league and tell the governing powers to go to heck. There are probably 50-60 schools that could pay football/basketball players and still rake in money.
Yeah, wouldn't that do great things for college football... You know, there is a reason why myself and millions of other people hang on to college football and couldn't give a |expletive| less about the NFL... see lockout. Ah, just imagine a bunch of college kids with collective bargaining rights.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They wont get the death penalty.  SMU got it for breaking the same rules they got put on probation for.  Ohio St. is probably looking at last season vacated and something similar to USC's current punishment.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Apparently Pryor doesn't really care about what is going on, following article shows that he just showed up at a team meeting yesterday in ANOTHER new car.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... aaf-wp2035
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Why would he?  Assuming no explicitly illegal activity, there's literally zero incentive for Bush, Clarett, Newton, Pryor, et al, that are going to make millions to start making those millions a little bit earlier and in smaller chunks.

Only difference is Maurice the Space Cowboy was just stupid about it.
Stable genius.