The Big 10 thread

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ShawJ wrote:I think it'll be interesting to see how Nebraska does. I definitely don't think we'll steam roll through the conference. I can see some good games with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan State. Of course, it's hard to tell where teams will be in 2012.
Unless a 1 team add to the Big 10 and a replacement team to the Big 12 is where it stops I would not rule out the new conf alignment starting in 2011.  I am guessing that a part of the ongoing negotiations have to do when when Nebraska received the full share allotment and how that could be used to fund an advanced buyout as is built into the Big 12 bylaws.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

OmahaBen wrote:Nevertheless, Nebraska will surely get a decent increase. The smallest Big Televen school gets 350-400 million in research money. Nebraska currently gets something like $120 million.
Agreed.  Believe it or not, this move is a bigger deal academically than athletically.  Research campus, anyone?

Also looking forward to the inevitable Nebraska hockey team going against UNO.
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big E wrote:
OmahaBen wrote:Nevertheless, Nebraska will surely get a decent increase. The smallest Big Televen school gets 350-400 million in research money. Nebraska currently gets something like $120 million.
Agreed.  Believe it or not, this move is a bigger deal academically than athletically.  Research campus, anyone?

Also looking forward to the inevitable Nebraska hockey team going against UNO.

Craze that at this point the new arena going in in Lincoln has no plans for ice.  Still time to change that but it surprised me even before all this surfaced.  I too think that at some point after being in the Big 10 there will be a Husker Hockey team.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Just remember this Josh... Iowa is enjoying the most success it has ever seen in it's otherwise crappy history during the past few years... while NU is emerging from a lackluster period which, nonetheless, Iowa would have envied over most of it's history.  So, I would HOPE overachieving Iowa could compete with an underachieving Nebraska. :)   I certainly hope that it breaks past tradition... and becomes a competitive series. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I hope they join the Big 10 so I could root for a real Iowa team over Nebraska. No more ISU bandwagoning. If there was such a thing.
DTO
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

from the World Herald...Colorado Joins Pac-10

Well Nebraska is no longer the scapegoat in all this.  Also seems to confirm the possibility of the five other Big 12 schools being invited.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

the1wags wrote:Lap up that koolaide cornheads. Who went to and won a BCS game last year? I'll help you guys out cause I know your slow. It wasn't Nebraska. You guys need to quit living in the 90's. Things have changed. Anyone not dilusional knows it will be a competative series.
[tried to delete this comment but this crazy as$ software wont let me, for whatever reason.]
Last edited by S33 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Stargazer wrote:Just remember this Josh... Iowa is enjoying the most success it has ever seen in it's otherwise crappy history during the past few years... while NU is emerging from a lackluster period which, nonetheless, Iowa would have envied over most of it's history.  So, I would HOPE overachieving Iowa could compete with an underachieving Nebraska. :)   I certainly hope that it breaks past tradition... and becomes a competitive series. :)
^^^what he said ^^^ :;):
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Still living in the past. What's funny is you really believe that nearly a decade of average football was just a fluke and you'll be right back on top. Its pretty pathetic really.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

Nebraska will kick the |expletive| out of Iowa every year!!!  Unless, of course, we lose.  In which case it was a good game and you guys certainly were the better team.   :mrgreen:

Seriously, I see it turning into an instant rivalry.   :yes:
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

the1wags wrote:Still living in the past. What's funny is you really believe that nearly a decade of average football was just a fluke and you'll be right back on top. Its pretty pathetic really.
Smack talk aside, I really have no reservations about facing Iowa every year. They are a solid football team but nothing spectacular, and to date their biggest accomplishment is effectively working as an offensive linemen talent farm for the NFL. That, I actually think will work in Nebraska's favor, as I believe the step up in competition will lead to us jettisoning some of the dead weight (I'm looking at you, Shawn Watson) that we tended to keep around after we deluded ourselves into thinking we were "almost there".
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Anyone else looking forward to lighting up a Cosgrove defense every year?
Stable genius.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Big E wrote:Anyone else looking forward to lighting up a Cosgrove defense every year?
That would be nice, but like I said earlier, we need to get a real offense in Nebraska.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

the1wags wrote:Still living in the past. What's funny is you really believe that nearly a decade of average football was just a fluke and you'll be right back on top. Its pretty pathetic really.
Hey, I'd much rather be living in the past for a team which is sitting number 4 in all time wins versus a team which somehow pulled a couple decent seasons out of their as$es.

I would still like to point out that Iowa and Nebraska have different versions of "average." Average for Iowa is .500, at least historically. Average for Nebraska are 8 win seasons. Enjoy Iowa's brief moment of success. =)
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

S33 wrote:
Hey, I'd much rather be living in the past for a team which is sitting number 4 in all time wins versus a team which somehow pulled a couple decent seasons out of their as$es.

I would still like to point out that Iowa and Nebraska have different versions of "average." Average for Iowa is .500, at least historically. Average for Nebraska are 8 win seasons. Enjoy Iowa's brief moment of success. =)
History, all time, blah blah blah. Like I said, living in the 90's and beyond.

Lets look at the last decade (yeah, yeah Jeff I know. See the line above).

2000 season till now (decade of football)

Nebraska is 84-44 for a .656 win percentage.
Iowa is 80-45 for a .64 win percentage.

Wow the difference is amazing.  :roll:

Again, the funny thing is you guys think that the last 10 YEARS are an anomaly for Nebraska and the titles are right around the corner. WAKE THE |expletive| UP, THE NINETIES ARE OVER!!!!! Nebraska IS a good program. I'm not debating that at all. I'm also not saying Iowa is some great dynasty program either. I'm simply saying that the delusional Big Red fans that say stupid |expletive| like "Nebraska is going to roll right through the Big 10" are high on crack. You'll have good years, you'll have mediocre years. Such is life. You WON'T have another run like the 90's, book it.

I'm done with this BTW, because debating football with Husker fans is like trying to drive nails with a stick of butter.
Last edited by the1wags on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Oh, snap! Love the stick of butter reference.
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

the1wags wrote:I'm done with this BTW, because debating football with Husker fans is like trying to drive nails with a stick of butter.
:clap:
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

the1wags wrote:You WON'T have another run like the 90's, book it.
And what leads you to believe that?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Bosco55David wrote:
the1wags wrote:You WON'T have another run like the 90's, book it.
And what leads you to believe that?
I'm still trying to figure out where he got any of us stating that Nebraska would....I mean "we", since he said "You".
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I may have moved to Michigan but I still root for the Huskers.  It's been interesting listening to local sports radio opinion about Nebraska's pending move.  I have yet to hear much smack about Nebraska and mainly the hosts and callers have been either ambivalent or positive about the prospect.  Personally I'm looking forward to games between Nebraska and Michigan, Ohio State, etc.   I think they would be more fun than games with Kansas and Iowa State.  That's just my opinion.

Anyway, I opened my Detroit Free Press today and read the following Mitch Albom column.  He doesn't put down Nebraska...he puts down the system.  I'm not sure I I agree as I just don't think you can put the genie back in the bottle, but I do lament the loss of tradition.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100611/C ... -Big-Green
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

the1wags wrote:
S33 wrote:

History, all time, blah blah blah. Like I said, living in the 90's and beyond.

Lets look at the last decade (yeah, yeah Jeff I know. See the line above).

2000 season till now (decade of football)

Nebraska is 84-44 for a .656 win percentage.
Iowa is 80-45 for a .64 win percentage.

Wow the difference is amazing.  :roll:

Again, the funny thing is you guys think that the last 10 YEARS are an anomaly for Nebraska and the titles are right around the corner. WAKE THE |expletive| UP, THE NINETIES ARE OVER!!!!! Nebraska IS a good program. I'm not debating that at all. I'm also not saying Iowa is some great dynasty program either. I'm simply saying that the delusional Big Red fans that say stupid |expletive| like "Nebraska is going to roll right through the Big 10" are high on crack. You'll have good years, you'll have mediocre years. Such is life. You WON'T have another run like the 90's, book it.

I'm done with this BTW, because debating football with Husker fans is like trying to drive nails with a stick of butter.
OK, throw out the 90's then. 60-3 is so incredible, it's unrealistic to expect that again.

So compare Iowa and Nebraska in the 80's.

Compare them to the 70's.

Compare them to the 60's even.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Nebraska 10+ win seasons, 1960s: 2

Nebraska 10+ win seasons, 1970s: 4

Nebraska 10+ win seasons, 1980s: 7

Nebraska 10+ win seasons, 1990s: 6

Nebraska 10+ win seasons, 2000s: 4

Iowa 10+ win seasons, 1960s: 0

Iowa 10+ win seasons, 1970s: 0

Iowa 10+ win seasons, 1980s: 2

Iowa 10+ win seasons, 1990s: 1

Iowa 10+ win seasons, 2000s: 4

Iowa 10+ win seasons since 1889:  7 (that's right...  Iowa's entire football history is roughly as successful as the 80s were for Nebraska.)

Nebraska losing seasons, 2000s: 2

Iowa losing seasons, 2000s: 2

By my math, NU and Iowa are basically on par for the last decade, with a slim :sarcasm: advantage going to NU for the previous 100 years.

Oh, and then there's always the bitchification of the Iowa DB:

[youtube][/youtube]
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It's official, from Lee Barfknecht:

Nebraska has officially accepted an invitation to join the Big Ten Conference, The World-Herald learned early Friday afternoon.

Two sources from conference offices said that Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany contacted BIg 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe on Friday morning to inform Beebe that Delany had officially invited Nebraska to join.

A source with direct knowledge of the situation said Nebraska accepted.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

http://omaha.com/article/20100611/NEWS/ ... he-big-ten
Omaha.com wrote:Nebraska has officially accepted an invitation to join the Big Ten Conference, The World-Herald learned early Friday afternoon.

Two sources from conference offices said that Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany contacted BIg 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe on Friday morning to inform Beebe that Delany had officially invited Nebraska to join.

A source with direct knowledge of the situation said Nebraska accepted.

The regents further added: "Josh and Iowa suck."
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

News Conference:

Perlman: this is an event that occurred over a very short period of time.
will ask for authorization to apply for membership.
Optimistic Big 10 will accept.
I do not believe that we bear that responsibility if the Big 12 should break up.
"I will today ask you to authorize University of lincoln to apply for admissio to the Big Ten Conference.''
I'm optimimstic they will approve it.''
Every university must perserve its own interests. Nebraska did not start this discussion.
"One school leaving does not destroy a conference.....Nebraska did not start this.''
As looked at landscape, Nebraska was in a vulnerable position.
Tom Osborne and I thought Nebraska was in a very vulnerable position.
We held informal discussions with the Big Ten. They told us what they were seeking. Tom and I gave Nebraska's position.
Came to Big 12 meetings, greeted by rumors of Pac 10 expansion. Confirmed those discussions had taken place.
If Nebraska stayed, the southern schools would stay. Given ultimatum to affirm committment at the meetings.
If NU stayed, the 6 would stay. Asked what if Mizzou left, if Colorado left, response was that they would stay.
What was the nature of commitment to say in Big 12? Public statement, unequivocal from Perlman.
Could assign media rights to conference for long-term if wanted a true, binding commitment. Texas was not willing to do that.
Beebe said make public commitment for "forseeable future through at least 2016."
Obligation to NU was to protect from vulnerability. So reengaged Big 10.
Big 10 would give careful consideration to application, shared same values athletically and academically.
We would come in under their principles, on the financial side.
I am comfortable financial arrangements, value of Big 10 and value NU brings to Big 10. Hope competitive in 2011.
1 more season in Big 12
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Perlman: NU will assign media rights to Big 10 conference.
I think we are more closely aligned culture, academic and athletic aspirations of Big 10
NU built significant recruiting academically in Chicago and midwest.
Big 10 network allow all Nebraskans see almost all NU's games of all sports.
NU significant programming on network to reflect academics of NU.
Special shared courses will allow NU to participate and save in purchasing, especially for research.
Most important bring NU stability Big 12 cannot offer
Even if Big 12 held together, couldn't give assurance would remain the same for 3 years. We would most likely not have another option.
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Perlman: Concerns among fans about travel distance. But Big 10 network will carry the games.
We have longstanding traditions with institutions in Big 12 - that's a downside to leaving.
Great respect for Texas, but have to act in NU's best interest.
Any penalty on NU would be inappropriate from leaving

Osborne: Seeing press reminds when lost a bowl game.
Perlman took beating at Big 12 meetings, sometimes I did.
Echo Perlman regarding importance culture, fit, philosophy, compatability.
We take academics seriously
Weather, sounds odd to say. WE're obviously not in the sun belt.
Weather puts some sports at disadvantage. More apples to apples in Big 10.
Stability of Big 10 important, want to grab onto it because athletics can be unstable
Cannot ignore Big 10 stability. Realized schools asking us to stay in Big 12 had talked to as many as 3 other conferences.
To us a commitment would be for the long haul and it would be something that we would not change.
Might affect Texas recruiting. Will get more in midwest, east coast. Continue recruit California and southeast.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Osbourne: 2 occasions asked coaches here what preference would be. Tried not to steer discussion, vote came out 100 percent in favor Big 10.
These are the people that are going to have to make it work.
Will enhance many of our sports, swimming in particular.
Concerns fed to him ... Distance for football fans. No short Kansas drives. But feel footprint Big 10 and 12 is about the same. 10 more accessible if travel by air, particularly Minneapolis and Chicago.
Disloyal? Who are you supposed to be loyal to? Must be athletics, fans, coaches and people of Nebraska.
Research dollars and enhancement of Innovation Campus will improve student learning.
Student-athletes? Travel time will be no more, probably less. Will fly more but connections better.
Greed? This will not be a windfall. Hope to be made whole. Will be no automatic windfall for athletics.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Osbourne: Breaking up Big 12? 1 school leavig a conference does not
break up a conference. 6 schools leavig a conference breaks up a conferences.
We have not hidden any agenda. Dealt with only 1 conference and been straight up with them. Haven't worked with other schools to depart with NU.

"That's enough from me."

Hawks introduce resolution
8-0 in favor.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big Ten's Delany notifies Big 12 about Nebraska invitation
Chicago Tribune wrote:Big Ten spokesman Scott Chipman said at 2:50 p.m. that the league has received a letter of application from the University of Nebraska and that the Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors will review it. That review and vote will evidently be done quickly. Nebraska president Tom Perlman and athletic director Tom Osborne will be appearing at a 5 p.m. news conference in Lincoln.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Big E wrote:http://omaha.com/article/20100611/NEWS/ ... he-big-ten
Omaha.com wrote:The regents further added: "Josh and Iowa suck."
You can always count on the OWH to state the obvious first...

:;):
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There is a rumor that Jim Delany will be at the 5 pm press conference!
Beebe: Delany called this morning indicated understanding NU would apply for membership and that conference would accept.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Delany is at the press conference - Big Ten presidents voted at 4 today - voted unanimously to accept Nebraska on July 1, 2011
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

There is an interesting dynamic going on with this.  On radio, tv, newspapers and in postings on the internet, folks from big 10 states, cities & schools, for the most part, are welcoming and many are excited about NU joining.  Things like "Can't wait to welcome you to your first game at <the big house, the horseshoe, etc>"  Things like that.  A poster from Oklahoma lamented the loss of NU-OU games but nonetheless wished NU well.  

On the other hand, folks from Iowa, Kansas and Missouri are having quite a day bashing NU.  Not surprising.

Spin it however you want it's a good move, both athletically and academically.  I'm not kidding.  Look for significantly more research $$ to flow to Lincoln, as well as cooperation.  Penn State is an example.  They lagged the other big 10 schools when they joined and now are on par.  This is a no brainer considering the alternatives...stay in big 12, join pac 10, some other conference.  Just doesn't make as much sense.  

Ok.  It's done.  Move on.  Make it work for NU.  Be glad you aren't Turner Gill or the Kansas Basketball team....
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Big E wrote:Nebraska 10+ win seasons, 1960s: 2

Nebraska 10+ win seasons, 1970s: 4

Nebraska 10+ win seasons, 1980s: 7

Nebraska 10+ win seasons, 1990s: 6

Nebraska 10+ win seasons, 2000s: 4

Iowa 10+ win seasons, 1960s: 0

Iowa 10+ win seasons, 1970s: 0

Iowa 10+ win seasons, 1980s: 2

Iowa 10+ win seasons, 1990s: 1

Iowa 10+ win seasons, 2000s: 4

Iowa 10+ win seasons since 1889:  7 (that's right...  Iowa's entire football history is roughly as successful as the 80s were for Nebraska.)

Nebraska losing seasons, 2000s: 2

Iowa losing seasons, 2000s: 2

By my math, NU and Iowa are basically on par for the last decade, with a slim :sarcasm: advantage going to NU for the previous 100 years.

Oh, and then there's always the bitchification of the Iowa DB:

[youtube][/youtube]
Why don't you go back and talk about how the first Nebraska caveman got fire and how that affects the program today. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

PS. How come you left off the 40's and 50's? Oh yeah, because they sucked |expletive|.

Seriously, I don't think anything beyond ten years has much (if any) effect on how a program will go from now on. Think about this. The kids starting college this fall were 5 the last time Nebraska won a title. Just because you remember it, doesn't mean they do.

ANYWAYS, its a done deal now and all Husker hate aside, I think its a good fit. There should be some good football games and (to tie this in with the development geek nature of this site) this very well could provide Omaha a boost as well. I'm assuming that with the large increase in research dollars that is on the way, that UNMC should be seeing a good chunk of coin? UNMC is part of UNL technically right?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just hope the NU vs Iowa game is not known as Farmageddon as I have been hearing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am in northern California in a small grape farming town at a local bar... All I hear is Nebraska, Nebraska, Nebraska....
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Coyote wrote:I just hope the NU vs Iowa game is not known as Farmageddon as I have been hearing.
Lol, that's actually pretty funny.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

the1wags wrote:Why don't you go back and talk about how the first Nebraska caveman got fire and how that affects the program today. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

PS. How come you left off the 40's and 50's? Oh yeah, because they sucked |expletive|.

Seriously, I don't think anything beyond ten years has much (if any) effect on how a program will go from now on. Think about this. The kids starting college this fall were 5 the last time Nebraska won a title. Just because you remember it, doesn't mean they do.

ANYWAYS, its a done deal now and all Husker hate aside, I think its a good fit. There should be some good football games and (to tie this in with the development geek nature of this site) this very well could provide Omaha a boost as well. I'm assuming that with the large increase in research dollars that is on the way, that UNMC should be seeing a good chunk of coin? UNMC is part of UNL technically right?
Same song different dance.  First, it was Colorado.  Then Kansas State.  next up was Kansas and Missouri.

I love it when these teams have 4-6 good years and suddenly think they are the sh*t.  They throw out |expletive| like "oh, you are just living in the past."  Fortunately, in a few years, they are gone.