Change in Omaha Sports Radio

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cp jay 07
Human Relations

Change in Omaha Sports Radio

Post by cp jay 07 »

1620 is losing their affliation with ESPN and switching to Fox Sports while Big Sports 590 is picking up ESPN and using their shows and personalities.

1620 has released their new schedule and looks like this
8-11 Schick and Nick
11-2 Jim Rome
2-6 Kevin and Michele
Petros and Money
J.T. The Brick

590 has not released their schedule yet but I expect it to look like this.
Mike and Mike in the morning
Cowherd in the Afternoon
Whatever ESPN show uses as their afternoon show.
Brian Kenney in the Evening
Along with Creighton basketball and the local hour shows they have been using to fill time.

I think this is a win win for both stations. 590 gets added respectability with ESPN and some good evening shows and weekend shows. 1620 gets a 6 hour morning/afternoon time slot that will kill (and for some people Kevin and Michele). Schick and Nick and Rome will be a great 1-2 punch and both shows are very similar so they will compliment each other nicely.

From a personal standpoint it always sucked having to turn back and forth between Schick and Nick and Rome in the 11 hour so this is great. Otherwise I still won't listen to Kevin and Michele and the Garbage they put on the air and mostly keep the dial on 590 with the exception of 8-2
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Love the Kevin and Mike'l show.  Did I hear that Kevin is doing the Creighton game this week?  If so, that's funny.

That Petros show at night is a fiasco.

Hopefully 590 is still a part of the Royals Radio Network.

Greg
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Greg S wrote:Love the Kevin and Mike'l show.  Did I hear that Kevin is doing the Creighton game this week?  If so, that's funny.
Kugler is great, at least as a play by play guy, which is why he gets national gigs doing that. His sidekicks (first Bob, now Mike'l) have both sucked hard.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:Did I hear that Kevin is doing the Creighton game this week?  If so, that's funny.Greg
Tomorrow's game is on net HD! and Kevin will do the play by play on TV.  First HD game of the year.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote:
Greg S wrote:Did I hear that Kevin is doing the Creighton game this week?  If so, that's funny.Greg
Tomorrow's game is on net HD! and Kevin will do the play by play on TV.  First HD game of the year.
We better hit hair and makeup first, Brad.  ;)  Gotta make the baseline look good!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Love the Kevin and Mike'l show.  Did I hear that Kevin is doing the Creighton game this week?  If so, that's funny.

Greg

Who knows.  They dropped the Chiefs this year.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Think this is a step towards 590 bring back any daily live / local programming at some point?
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg
Have not heard anything about the Royals on 590. I also hope they didn't drop them like they did the Chiefs, but then again 590 dropped the Chiefs this year and look what happened so maybe we want 590 to drop the Royals.

I believe I heard 1620 has picked up more Cubs games now, not like in the past where you will get maybe 20 Cubs games on 1620 then some on 1180 then some won't even be broadcast in Omaha.

As for Kevin doing the game on Wednesday I'm sure he won't even mention it on USC on Wednesday or Thursday even though he will be right there, untill Michele makes a Creighton joke cause he hates Creighton and the Jesuits for some reason.

On another side note it will pretty much be Racer night at the Jays game with Les coaching for Bradley and Kevin doing the play by play. They should have done the dollar beer night tomorrow to give it that Racer feel.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cp jay 07 wrote:untill Michele makes a Creighton joke cause he hates Creighton and the Jesuits for some reason.
Mike'l went to a School that was a rival of the Jesuits.  Its basically like Mike'l is a Yankee Fan and Creighton is the Red Sox.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cp jay 07 wrote:

Greg
Have not heard anything about the Royals on 590. I also hope they didn't drop them like they did the Chiefs, but then again 590 dropped the Chiefs this year and look what happened so maybe we want 590 to drop the Royals.

I believe I heard 1620 has picked up more Cubs games now, not like in the past where you will get maybe 20 Cubs games on 1620 then some on 1180 then some won't even be broadcast in Omaha.

As for Kevin doing the game on Wednesday I'm sure he won't even mention it on USC on Wednesday or Thursday even though he will be right there, untill Michele makes a Creighton joke cause he hates Creighton and the Jesuits for some reason.

On another side note it will pretty much be Racer night at the Jays game with Les coaching for Bradley and Kevin doing the play by play. They should have done the dollar beer night tomorrow to give it that Racer feel.

They were talking about the CU game being on NET and Keven doing to the call yesterday on USC.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

nebugeater wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:

Greg

They were talking about the CU game being on NET and Keven doing to the call yesterday on USC.
Surprising, I thought 1620 had a ban on talking about Creighton basketball, except for Bahe's one hour show on Monday night. They will tell you what Bo had for lunch the past 5 days though.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

cp jay 07 wrote:Surprising, I thought 1620 had a ban on talking about Creighton basketball, except for Bahe's one hour show on Monday night. They will tell you what Bo had for lunch the past 5 days though.
There is no ban on talking Creighton basketball on 1620. It's just that, well, not many people who listen to 1620 care about Creighton basketball. Some of that is because Nebraska (and Omaha) cares more about football.  Some of that is because the Creighton fans used to listen to 590 in the past when they actually had local shows, and still harbor resentment over the fact that 590 couldn't survive with Creighton talk.
lnkS
Home Owners Association

Post by lnkS »

HskrFanMike wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:Surprising, I thought 1620 had a ban on talking about Creighton basketball, except for Bahe's one hour show on Monday night. They will tell you what Bo had for lunch the past 5 days though.
There is no ban on talking Creighton basketball on 1620. It's just that, well, not many people who listen to 1620 care about Creighton basketball. Some of that is because Nebraska (and Omaha) cares more about football.  Some of that is because the Creighton fans used to listen to 590 in the past when they actually had local shows, and still harbor resentment over the fact that 590 couldn't survive with Creighton talk.
What, you mean to say that calling Mike'l (that's a terrible spelling already) Michelle over-and-over like a spurned middle schooler is resentful?
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

lnkS wrote:What, you mean to say that calling Mike'l (that's a terrible spelling already) Michelle over-and-over like a spurned middle schooler is resentful?
You mean not talking about the marquee basketball team in the state and in your own city because of high school grudges is not professional. That reminds how much I HATE MT. Michael, those damn Benedictines .OK back to the huskers threads linkS, people are actually having a discussion here.

I have given up listening to the |expletive| they spew. I realize that from August to December is husker football talk and that is not going to change. But they really do not need to talk husker football in January especially since they do not even play in January anymore. heck talk about husker basketball for the one o.k. season they are having in 15 years.

I think another local show on 590 that does actually talk Creighton athletics can survive with good management and a host that is not a doosh like Matt could be. 590 needs some better management as Perrault was quick to point out but also a good host will help.  

I think the fact that BlueJay Banter has a post game show on 590 and a weekly hour long show that has been around for a year and the fact that 1620 has an hour show also shows there is a crowd that does not wanna hear what classes the UNL football team skipped today.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cp jay 07 wrote:
lnkS wrote:What, you mean to say that calling Mike'l (that's a terrible spelling already) Michelle over-and-over like a spurned middle schooler is resentful?
You mean not talking about the marquee basketball team in the state and in your own city because of high school grudges is not professional. That reminds how much I HATE MT. Michael, those darn Benedictines .OK back to the huskers threads linkS, people are actually having a discussion here.

I have given up listening to the |expletive| they spew. I realize that from August to December is husker football talk and that is not going to change. But they really do not need to talk husker football in January especially since they do not even play in January anymore. heck talk about husker basketball for the one o.k. season they are having in 15 years.

I think another local show on 590 that does actually talk Creighton athletics can survive with good management and a host that is not a doosh like Matt could be. 590 needs some better management as Perrault was quick to point out but also a good host will help.  

I think the fact that BlueJay Banter has a post game show on 590 and a weekly hour long show that has been around for a year and the fact that 1620 has an hour show also shows there is a crowd that does not wanna hear what classes the UNL football team skipped today.

Not intending to start something but do you listen.  Sure there is Husker football talk daily, but that is what the majority of the audience wants.  They do a decent job of talking about many other local sports too.  This includes CU basketball and baseball among many others.  Just that it is not 2 -3 hours of CU talk doesn't mean they get no coverage.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

nebugeater wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:
You mean not talking about the marquee basketball team in the state and in your own city because of high school grudges is not professional. That reminds how much I HATE MT. Michael, those darn Benedictines .OK back to the huskers threads linkS, people are actually having a discussion here.

Not intending to start something but do you listen.  Sure there is Husker football talk daily, but that is what the majority of the audience wants.  They do a decent job of talking about many other local sports too.  This includes CU basketball and baseball among many others.  Just that it is not 2 -3 hours of CU talk doesn't mean they get no coverage.
Ill flip over sometimes if DP is at commercial so you are right I should not really judge, but the times I have heard them talk about Creighton it's short lived, Severe mocks it, make fun of the fact they serve beer or something, then move on. Also there are alot of Jays fan who have the same opinion as me, a thread at the cafe is discussing it now actually.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

cp jay 07 wrote:Ill flip over sometimes if DP is at commercial so you are right I should not really judge, but the times I have heard them talk about Creighton it's short lived, Severe mocks it, make fun of the fact they serve beer or something, then move on. Also there are alot of Jays fan who have the same opinion as me, a thread at the cafe is discussing it now actually.
It's not really worth getting worked up over in my opinion. Most sports radio (and especially anything ESPN related) is nothing more than glorified sports gossip. TMZ for sports fans. Online fan communities typically give you better insight and X's and O's knowledge than radio or TV anyways.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cp jay 07 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:

Ill flip over sometimes if DP is at commercial so you are right I should not really judge, but the times I have heard them talk about Creighton it's short lived, Severe mocks it, make fun of the fact they serve beer or something, then move on. Also there are alot of Jays fan who have the same opinion as me, a thread at the cafe is discussing it now actually.

Well on my drive home yesterday it was almost a 50 - 50 split between CU and NU basketball talk.  They mocked the Jays but they Mocked the Huskers equally.   Just they way it is.  I guess it falls into the category that any pub is good pub !
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They've been pretty hard this week on NU.  Poking fun at NU basketball's "greatest" moments.  I'm an NU fan, thought it was funny, but I'm not sensitive on that type of thing anyway.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Something definitely needs to be done to get Chiefs back on Omaha sports radio.  I think Lincoln's 1400 is the closest chiefs station we have.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Linkin5 wrote:Something definitely needs to be done to get Chiefs back on Omaha sports radio.  I think Lincoln's 1400 is the closest chiefs station we have.
HOLY |expletive|, heck JUST FROZE OVER. Linkin5 and I are in agreement on something.

I would be surprised if a team that has 6 pro bowlers and made the playoffs last year and is only 2 and a half hours away is not on the radio next year. The 3 games I went to this year there was quite a caravan of Chiefs fans heading up and down I-29 I noticed.

I know in Omaha the only way you could listen to the Chiefs games is on 97.3 out of Blair and you would lose the signal if you went south of Dodge.

I mean heck the Raiders were on 1180 this year for some reason.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

cp jay 07 wrote:I mean heck the Raiders were on 1180 this year for some reason.
Ughh Raiders.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From What I gather, 590 is really embracing the ESPN Radio Change and 1620 is playing it off?  I heard a ton of advertising for 590 the past weekend.  1620 has not said a lot and their website now look very similar but doesn't feature any of the ESPN stuff anymore.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

1620 was talking about the switch a ton today.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:From What I gather, 590 is really embracing the ESPN Radio Change and 1620 is playing it off?  I heard a ton of advertising for 590 the past weekend.  1620 has not said a lot and their website now look very similar but doesn't feature any of the ESPN stuff anymore.
One thing is 590 has no where to go but Up.  1620 doesn't need to promote a change and the more they make it status unchanged the better.  they live off their local programing. and westwood one PbP
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

anyone else not able to get on 1620's website today?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks Mark!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This has to be a |expletive| joke. Unsportsmanlike Conduct is now unnecessary roughness with Matt Siegel and Houston Alexander?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:This has to be a |expletive| joke. Unsportsmanlike Conduct is now unnecessary roughness with Matt Siegel and Houston Alexander?
you know what is a Joke, 590's website!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:This has to be a |expletive| joke. Unsportsmanlike Conduct is now unnecessary roughness with Matt Siegel and Houston Alexander?
The running joke for the last 1 - 2 weeks has been they are going of the air with the changes on Feb 1.  This is just the attempt at the final punch line.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:
The running joke for the last 1 - 2 weeks has been they are going of the air with the changes on Feb 1.  This is just the attempt at the final punch line.
Yeah - got punk'd by Houston Alexander - who used this as a springboard to announce his next fight.
Ankeny Husker Freak
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ankeny Husker Freak »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Yeah - got punk'd by Houston Alexander - who used this as a springboard to announce his next fight.
as an avid listner to USC via podcasts here in Des Moines, it was all I could do to not bust out in laughter listening to that at work.

BTW, 590 is doing a national search for a local PM drive time show:

http://staatalent.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3451
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Did they swap signal strengths as well?  To me (with my broken car antenna) 1620 now seems to come in more clear and 590 seem to be less clear.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Does anyone find the amount of sound clips on Shick and Nick completely annoying.  Its almost to the point I can't even listen.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Does anyone find the amount of sound clips on Shick and Nick completely annoying.  Its almost to the point I can't even listen.

1000% agree.  The sound clips and fake interviews have made it so I hardly have it on in my office any more when I am there during the show.  IMO it started off much better than it is now and has went steadily down hill.   Wish they would get their act together, it seemed to have potential.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Brad wrote:Did they swap signal strengths as well?  To me (with my broken car antenna) 1620 now seems to come in more clear and 590 seem to be less clear.
FWIW, I can pick up 590 in Des Moines. not even close to getting 1620.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

My opinion here.

Petros and Money is the most entertaining "sports" show on the radio since Kylie and Booms years ago.

My ears bleed if I listen to Schick and Nick for more than 1 minute. I guess Schick is OK, but Nick's annoying laugh after each and every thing Schick says makes me want to rip the radio out of my car.

Kevin Kugler is fairly solid, but the other dude is super annoying, unless they are talking about the NFL draft.

I can't believe Omaha has a AAA team and nobody carries KC Royals Games.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

ThatGuy wrote:I guess Schick is OK, but Nick's annoying laugh after each and every thing Schick says makes me want to rip the radio out of my car.
YES, DEAR GOD, YES! I have to change the channel when I hear him laugh. It's made it so that I won't even change the channel there anymore when they are on.