Change in Omaha Sports Radio

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Coyote wrote:1620 just posted that they will be announcing "Exciting news for the station....and nobody is getting fired." at 2pm tomorrow.

Wonder if they are going to join the CBS Sports Radio Network?
They technically kinda already are I think, when Rome is they have all the CBS Sports Radio ads running and CBS' sports desk. Of course at night it goes back to Fox Sports so who knows.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Coyote wrote:1620 just posted that they will be announcing "Exciting news for the station....and nobody is getting fired." at 2pm tomorrow.

Wonder if they are going to join the CBS Sports Radio Network?
They technically kinda already are I think, when Rome is they have all the CBS Sports Radio ads running and CBS' sports desk. Of course at night it goes back to Fox Sports so who knows.
OOPS - That should have been me.  Apparently I edited Coyotes post yesterday and not quoted it...  Sorry.

That's what I was thinking when they said it.  It wouldn't surprise me if CBS was pushing hard for all the Rome Affiliates to also go with CBS.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

( I was just going to ask you if you edited my post - I couldn't remember saying that  :P )
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

1620 The Zone Named Flagship Station For Creighton Men's Basketball
Go Creighton wrote:Omaha’s No. 1 home for local sports has secured a three-year deal to air the radio broadcasts for Creighton Men’s Basketball, as the Bluejays transition to the BIG EAST Conference. Under the agreement 1620 The Zone will air the play-by-play broadcast and all ancillary sports coverage for the team, beginning with the upcoming 2013-14 campaign.
Take that Mike'l Severe!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Creighton AD Bruce Rasmussen on 1620 soon.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Apparently Creighton will buy the time slots from NRG just like they did with JBG and then sell their own advertising slots to sponsors.

So now the question is - what will 590 have to offer for local sports?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Since 590 carries the Iowa Hawkeye Football season I wounder if there is any change they will carry the Mens Basketball now that the Jays are gone.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Or will 590 drop Iowa sports and just run ESPN programming 24x7 on autopilot.  I'm not sure what the heck Journal Broadcasting is doing with that frequency, other than squander it.  They dropped the Royals and Chiefs, now they've lost Creighton.  They've apparently given up on local talk.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

HskrFanMike wrote:Or will 590 drop Iowa sports and just run ESPN programming 24x7 on autopilot.  I'm not sure what the heck Journal Broadcasting is doing with that frequency, other than squander it.  They dropped the Royals and Chiefs, now they've lost Creighton.  They've apparently given up on local talk.

Dropped the Chiefs?   They are still listed for the 2013 season as an Affiliate On the Chiefs Radio Network web site.

http://www.kcchiefsradio.com/page.php?page_id=193
Ankeny Husker Freak
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ankeny Husker Freak »

HskrFanMike wrote:Or will 590 drop Iowa sports and just run ESPN programming 24x7 on autopilot.  I'm not sure what the heck Journal Broadcasting is doing with that frequency, other than squander it.  They dropped the Royals and Chiefs, now they've lost Creighton.  They've apparently given up on local talk.
The previous host left to take a job in Seattle and Journal is looking for a replacement.

http://staatalent.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5303
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

The Chiefs have been MIA on 590 for the last two or three seasons.  And yes, Michael Gray left for Seattle over two months ago...but most stations find interim hosts pretty quickly, if only to keep the timeslot warm, because people will assume that 590 isn't interested in local talk otherwise.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The new unsportsman like conduct with Bishop and Severe is brutal to listen to, huge downgrade from Kugler.  I started to listen to Grey's show every day and liked it, good for him he got a better job, but bad for sports talk in Omaha.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Nick Baha comming back to 1620 for a new local show from 11 - 2 daily.  THis was a new post in the Unsportsmanlike Conduct Facebook page.

Here is their post in it's entirty

https://www.facebook.com/#!/unsportsman ... ion=stream

He's baaaaaaaaaack!

Omaha’s sports radio leader “1620 The Zone” (KOZN-AM) will debut another locally-grown sports/talk program with the launch of “The Nick Bahe Show” featuring former Creighton University Bluejay basketball standout Nick Bahe behind the microphone. Bahe joins what has become an entirely live and local lineup as his show will air weekdays from 11am-2pm, in the middle of two of the... area’s top-rated sports programs with men.

“We really believe in the importance of providing Omaha listeners with comprehensive local programming content that is dedicated to our area’s most relevant sports franchises and the people making headlines. Having Nick return to The Zone provides our listeners with an entirely live and local programming lineup airing at the height of the weekday workday,” said Andy Ruback, 1620 The Zone General Manager.

With its debut on August 5th, “The Nick Bahe Show” will be live during weekday middays, strategically placed between two of the station’s top rated local programs “Sharp & Benning in the Morning” from 7am-11am and “Unsportsmanlike Conduct” hosted by John Bishop and Mike’l Severe” airing Monday-Friday from 2pm-6pm.

Bahe, who played Division 1 Basketball at Creighton under Dana Altman and at Kansas under Bill Self, is a graduate of Southeast High School in Lincoln where he earned multiple athletic awards as the 2003 Gatorade Nebraska Player of the Year, was quarterback on the All-State Football Team, and was nominated to the McDonald’s All-America team. Although he was always a standout athlete, he said the opportunity to return to broadcasting is his true passion.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I read somewhere that 590 had chose a duo for their local morning sports program. Anyone hear who that may have been?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:I read somewhere that 590 had chose a duo for their local morning sports program. Anyone hear who that may have been?
have not seen or heard anything yet.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

YOu think this new Nick Bahe show will be a one guy show or will there be an anoucment of a second person.  One man sports talk is hard to do.  At a Minimum there needs to be a good producre that has some on air time too.  Guessing there will be a co host.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So where is the Jim Rome show going?

Edit: Never Mind, I see he is moving to 1180.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote:Since 590 carries the Iowa Hawkeye Football season I wounder if there is any change they will carry the Mens Basketball now that the Jays are gone.

Was listing to 590 last night and they ran a promo saying that they were bringing the best basketball confernace to the air in Omaha and the Hawkeye Men's basketball coverage would be added to their linup this fall.

EDIT:
Wow, just looked at their web site for the first time in forever.  there is NOTHING local on there.  That whole operation must be on autopilot.  The link to BLOGS had nothing on it and there was no local news or information that wasn't just a feed of a link from a national artical.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebugeater wrote:YOu think this new Nick Bahe show will be a one guy show or will there be an anoucment of a second person.  One man sports talk is hard to do.  At a Minimum there needs to be a good producre that has some on air time too.  Guessing there will be a co host.
I love Nick Bahe, but they do need someone to balance out his craziness on the air.  I can't wait for him to come back though, the new unsportsman like conduct is brutal.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I wonder if 590 has given up trying to do a local daily talk show.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:I wonder if 590 has given up trying to do a local daily talk show.

Greg
According to the D-Bag Matty P they have hired a afternoon host from Iowa who is a Iowa homer. Seems like 590 is really trying to be Iowa fans station in Eastern Iowa and Omaha.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cp jay 07 wrote:

Greg
According to the D-Bag Matty P they have hired a afternoon host from Iowa who is a Iowa homer. Seems like 590 is really trying to be Iowa fans station in Eastern Iowa and Omaha.

That might as well try. Everything else they have tried has failed so wouldn't hold much hope for it working.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

If they go with the Iowa homer, plus the Iowa football/basketball I really can't see myself ever turning to that station from 1620.

Greg
Ankeny Husker Freak
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ankeny Husker Freak »

cp jay 07 wrote:

Greg
What's funny is that the person 590 has hired isn't even a full time host, he's more like a sidekick/producer of the PM drive show on KXNO (Perrault's former Des Moines station).

Edit:  According to his Twitter account, he's been hired as a CO-host.

Service Master just left, their gadgets still showed quite a bit of mosture. They said we could turn the dehumidifers off for a bit, those are the heat producing things. Current humidity was in the house was 34%. Hoping this cold front is as strong as advertised.

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Im fine with 24/7 espn as an option.  I frankly hope they keep it up.  I'll be especially happy when football season rolls around as I couldnt care less what Bo's latest antics are or when the D will get their black shirts.  It was fun when everyone was melting down about Callahan, not so much now.  

I'd also be really surprised if a second local morning show in the market was better for ratings than Mike and Mike.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cdub wrote:Im fine with 24/7 espn as an option.  I frankly hope they keep it up.  I'll be especially happy when football season rolls around as I couldnt care less what Bo's latest antics are or when the D will get their black shirts.  It was fun when everyone was melting down about Callahan, not so much now.  

I'd also be really surprised if a second local morning show in the market was better for ratings than Mike and Mike.
I completely agree, nothing against the huskers, but I can't listen to that much husker talk (or any team with a rabid fan base).  Thank god for the internet so I can listen to what I Want.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OK, Speaking of local sports radio, what really is left besides Unsportsmanlike Conduct?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:OK, Speaking of local sports radio, what really is left besides Unsportsmanlike Conduct?
Benning and Sharp in the morning.

The husker show on KFAB all night
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

590 or 1620 no longer has a Jays show? Only during the season? What about UNO, again, only during Hockey Season?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:590 or 1620 no longer has a Jays show? Only during the season? What about UNO, again, only during Hockey Season?
Bluejay Banter:
https://www.facebook.com/bluejaybanter

I think UNO is only during the season.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:
cdub wrote:Im fine with 24/7 espn as an option.  I frankly hope they keep it up.  I'll be especially happy when football season rolls around as I couldnt care less what Bo's latest antics are or when the D will get their black shirts.  It was fun when everyone was melting down about Callahan, not so much now.  

I completely agree, nothing against the huskers, but I can't listen to that much husker talk (or any team with a rabid fan base).  Thank god for the internet so I can listen to what I Want.
Like right now, when they broke in to hear from Bo at media days...

Looks like I will be listening to CBS Sports Radio in Baltimore today...
http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/cbs- ... adio-1300/
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Coyote wrote:590 or 1620 no longer has a Jays show? Only during the season? What about UNO, again, only during Hockey Season?
UNO barely gets coverage during hockey season.

I too get so sick of wall to wall skers during the fall and wall to wall Jays during the winter.  It needs to stop.  Though, I simply stopped listening.  Sirius XM in drive time is decent.  Certainly better than listening to blathering jock sniffers who sound like they quit taking their OCD meds about August and won't start again till April.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Brad wrote:
Brad wrote:

Like right now, when they broke in to hear from Bo at media days...

Looks like I will be listening to CBS Sports Radio in Baltimore today...
http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/cbs- ... adio-1300/
What did he have for lunch?  Im dying to find out so I can have some too!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Zone 1 AKA 1620
5-7 Steve Czaben
7-11 Sharpe and Benning
11-2 Nick Bahe Show
2-6 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
6-9 Petros and Money

Zone 2 AKA 1180 the Deuce
5-8 The Erik Kuselias Show
8-11 Dan Patrick
11-2 Jim Rome
2-6 Under Center w Donovan McNabb and Mark Malone
6-9 The Jon Stashower Show
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

1620 the Zone wrote:Bishop and Bahe will cover every men's basketball game, home and away, beginning with the Creighton-Northern State exhibition game on November 1 at CenturyLink Center Omaha. In addition to pre-game and post-game shows affiliated with each Creighton-produced game broadcast, 1620 the Zone will also provide expanded coverage for each contest with its own pre-game show and post-game show from the studio or at a remote site to be determined.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
1620 the Zone wrote:Bishop and Bahe will cover every men's basketball game, home and away, beginning with the Creighton-Northern State exhibition game on November 1 at CenturyLink Center Omaha. In addition to pre-game and post-game shows affiliated with each Creighton-produced game broadcast, 1620 the Zone will also provide expanded coverage for each contest with its own pre-game show and post-game show from the studio or at a remote site to be determined.
No more more T-Scott?  Wow.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:
No more more T-Scott?  Wow.
Part of the press release that said they were moving to 1620 stated somewhere that there would be changes to the anouncing crew to be made at a later date if I remember correctly.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

KXSP Adds 'The Drive'
All Access wrote:Journal Sports KXSP-A (AM 590 ESPN Omaha)/Omaha is adding a new local afternoon show, "The Drive," with former  Clear Channel Sports KXNO-A/Des Moines host and producer Joe Quinn and Three Eagles Communications/Columbus, NE Sports Director Nick Handley.  The new show will air 2-6p (CT) beginning Monday (8/5).

“Joe and Nick’s combined experience of covering sports in Nebraska and Iowa mirrors our huge AM 590 signal. AM 590 listeners will really enjoy these two young yet experienced broadcasters bringing their perspective to sports each afternoon.”
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Way to screw up the first day on the new station...

Looks like I am going to be streaming Rome on another city's sports station today.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Way to screw up the first day on the new station...

Looks like I am going to be streaming Rome on another city's sports station today.

what went down