Change in Omaha Sports Radio

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Change in Omaha Sports Radio

Post by Coyote »

Greg S wrote:Is Matt Vrzal the official co-host now?
I have been wondering that since he has been a constant sidekick for months now.
I though they were just testing him out...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That was my thought as well. I have not seen or heard anywhere that it's official but it does not seem to be ending either.

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Brad wrote:How come 1180 Zone 2 the Deuce is screwed up at least once a week if not more???

I can't seem to find any contact information for them, they don't have a Facebook or Twitter account, 1620's Facebook page hasn't been updated in almost a year....

don't have a radio station you can't run!
5011 Capitol Ave.
Omaha, NE 68132
Phone: 402.342.2000
Fax: 402.342.6146

General Manager: Andy Ruback
Email: ARuback@NRGMedia.com
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HskrFanMike wrote:
General Manager: Andy Ruback
Email: ARuback@NRGMedia.com
Thanks, I will try that one next time. Someone PM'd me a different email address, but that person never responded...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nick and Schick coming up on 1620. I hope that Nick doesn't just laugh through the whole broadcast. He can be annoying at times...
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Coyote wrote:Nick and Schick coming up on 1620. I hope that Nick doesn't just laugh through the whole broadcast. He can be annoying at times...
Can be?

Granted... I'm biased because I have little interest in three hours of Creighton and NBA talk..
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I always thought their original show was a train wreck. Repeating the same joke over and over, over the top laughing. I actually think Nick is better in his new format.

Greg
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

HskrFanMike wrote:
Coyote wrote:Nick and Schick coming up on 1620. I hope that Nick doesn't just laugh through the whole broadcast. He can be annoying at times...
Can be?

Granted... I'm biased because I have little interest in three hours of Creighton and NBA talk..
I'm an admitted jay sker and appreciate coverage of both, but that statement is asinine. They overwelmingly talked Huskers and that is a fact.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Copy of a Facebook post made by John Bishop a few Min ago.
It's take a long damn time, but I am happy to announce that Josh Peterson is my new co-host on Unsportsmanlike Conduct. His mix of youth, energy and knowledge is really going to make up for my feeble old mind.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Can't believe all this time for an in house host.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Thank baby jesus it's not Matt Vrzal or Vrsal or however the heck you spell his name.

Josh and John have decent chemistry.
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I agree on Vrzal. OK for a fill in but not perm. The show got boring at times.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:I agree on Vrzal.  OK for a fill in but not perm.  The show got boring at times.

Greg
I agree. He just didn't have enough energy to make the show interesting. Josh does. That said, he also is able to contain himself enough to where he isn't a spaz like Bahe.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone heard anything about why the 1180 Zone 2 the Deuce streaming has not worked all week?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Anyone heard anything about why the 1180 Zone 2 the Deuce streaming has not worked all week?

No idea but 1620 the Zone has been working fine, but I am sure you know that. You would think that it would be both or neither.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:Anyone heard anything about why the 1180 Zone 2 the Deuce streaming has not worked all week?

No idea but 1620 the Zone has been working fine, but I am sure you know that.  You would think that it would be both or neither.
No, I can't remember the last time I turned on 1620. I go find the 1180 shows on stations in other cities when 1180 is not working.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad can't handle Husker talk 24/7
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Brad can't handle Husker talk 24/7
I can't handle any talk 24-7, its just not a husker thing. That said, the last thing I want to hear about this week would be the whole clapping BS...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The whole reason that 1620 was good back when unsportsmanlike conduct started was that they weren't husk-jay parrots. You could hear about other stuff. If that is gone, there is really little that attracts me to any sports radio in Omaha. Non-stop skers all fall and then non-stop blue jays all winter. Yuck.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Michael Bishop has made USC unlistenable, the guy is awful. The other guys on 590 are pretty boring too, besides Sharp and Benning Omaha sports talk is awful.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Good thing they don't have former QB Michael Bishop, and instead have John Bishop. Makes it only slightly more of a joy to listen to.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Lol, my bad, apparently I have early 2000s Kansas state on my mind.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:Lol, my bad, apparently I have early 2000s Kansas state on my mind.
Haha, when I first saw that I had to do a double take. I wonder whatever happened to him, I think he went to the CFL.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Does Matt Parrault still do radio here in town? He was the only guy I actually liked listening to a few years back.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I believe Perrault is living out of his car somewhere.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Perrault has been off the air for years. He was a Bluejay jock sniffer. Hated the Huskers, and was orgasmic over Creighton. UNO could have played so well the dead came back to life just to see the final minutes, and he wouldn't talk about it. Sadly, as biased as he was, the station he worked for managed to find replacement shows that sucked even worse.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I follow Perrault on Twitter and see his tweets once in a while. I believe he is doing radio on the east coast somewhere near his home stomping grounds. While I never really liked listening to him that much I think he had some talent. His topics that he wanted to run into the ground where not my fav but he seemed to do his homework and stay somewhat constant.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I know he left the New Hampshire ESPN radio gig earlier in the year. Not sure if he has landed any where else yet.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

bigredmed wrote:Perrault has been off the air for years. He was a Bluejay jock sniffer. Hated the Huskers, and was orgasmic over Creighton. UNO could have played so well the dead came back to life just to see the final minutes, and he wouldn't talk about it. Sadly, as biased as he was, the station he worked for managed to find replacement shows that sucked even worse.
Hey don't throw him in with us, we hated him just as much as you. I think Perrault is the only person to unite CU, UNL, UI, and ISU fans on one subject, how big of a Dbag he is.

Also Your first line describes the new Perrault in town, Greg Sharpe on 1620, just replace Jays with Huskers and you have his model. I don't know how anyone can listen to Sharpe and Benning over DP on 1180.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This all begs the question: would a balanced local radio program maintain sufficient ratings and commercial revenue for a GM to keep it on the air? And I'm not just talking about a NU/CU balance. Granted 'local' programming caters to what their listeners are interested in, but looking at Omahans preference for NFL, NHL, NBA and even MLB teams, would a more general discussion on professional sports draw interest, or is Omaha only attentive to college sports with a little PCL talk every once in a while, or even USHL once a year? Does Omaha have the talent, could get and keep the talent to provide thus format? Do we have a station with the knowledge in marketing such a format?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:This all begs the question: would a balanced local radio program maintain sufficient ratings and commercial revenue for a GM to keep it on the air? And I'm not just talking about a NU/CU balance. Granted 'local' programming caters to what their listeners are interested in, but looking at Omahans preference for NFL, NHL, NBA and even MLB teams, would a more general discussion on professional sports draw interest, or is Omaha only attentive to college sports with a little PCL talk every once in a while, or even USHL once a year? Does Omaha have the talent, could get and keep the talent to provide thus format? Do we have a station with the knowledge in marketing such a format?
No UNO Talk??? :;):

I think too many people in this state want Huskers 24-7.

I haven't caught Nick Handley's show on 590 recently. I would hope the Public Address announcer for UNO Hockey would talk a little UNO Hockey. May be I should tune in today.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote: No UNO Talk???   :;): .
I threw that in with "or is Omaha only attentive to college sports with..." :?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The peak of the product from Unsportsmanlike Conduct was when they would talk about anything. We didn't get Homers that only talked about Huskers or Jays. We didn't get ESPN "Pro-Only" D-bags that looked down on college. MOST of all we got guys who talked about guy-oriented topics. We need a show that will cover the usual teams and UNO and the other smaller teams.

I want a show that is run by people who are into sports and into cool stuff that I can do on the week-end. If UNO soccer is really building up, I want to know (before the next game), because as a STH for Hockey, I have 4 free tickets to anything in UNO sports and I might want to catch a game. I won't know to do this till after the game is over and the OWH covers it. If I have a show that really covers sports, I will know in advance.

We need a show that has the balls to cover non-traditional sports. Anyone aware that trapshooting is one of the biggest sports in high school in Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota? That is without teams in Omaha (except CP and Marian). Anyone know that Midlands has a shotgun team with scholarships and a coach from the US Olympic team? Anyone know that a girl from Marian got selected for the Olympic development team in trapshooting? Anyone know about the "Family Fun Shoot" at Pheasant Bonanza last Saturday where you got unlimited sporting clays and dinner for $45? A real sports radio show would have the stones to cover shooting sports and not cave to PC gun haters. Especially when some new thing or cool event is coming up.

Give me that. Give me more than 10 minutes between commercials. Give me someone who is not just another jock sniffing Jaysker homer. Give me a station that has a signal you can hear all over Omaha, and you got a listener.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Perrault has been off the air for years.  He was a Bluejay jock sniffer.  Hated the Huskers, and was orgasmic over Creighton.  UNO could have played so well the dead came back to life just to see the final minutes, and he wouldn't talk about it.  Sadly, as biased as he was, the station he worked for managed to find replacement shows that sucked even worse.
Hey don't throw him in with us, we hated him just as much as you. I think Perrault is the only person to unite CU, UNL, UI, and ISU fans on one subject, how big of a Dbag he is.

Also Your first line describes the new Perrault in town, Greg Sharpe on 1620, just replace Jays with Huskers and you have his model. I don't know how anyone can listen to Sharpe and Benning over DP on 1180.
It's funny is Gary Sharp was actually forced off the air in Lincoln on Sports Nightly years ago, because he was not "pro Husker" enough. That's how he ended up in Florida.

I actually think Sharp and Benning are as good as it gets around here (close to when Kevin Kugler was on the air). They obviously talk Huskers but they also hit the local high school scene, NBA, NHL (Sharp really knows hockey), and with Sharp doing so much UNO stuff now, UNO sports. They do talk Creighton as well but not nearly as much as Nick Bahe and John Bishop.

Sharp and Benning finished #27 last year in the top 30 sports talkers nationally from Radio Ink Magazine....

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Sharp is good, I don't mind him. Damon "everyone is my man" Benning is insufferable to listen to. So condescending and brings little to entertain. He may know football, but not much else.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

I will admit Sharp is good for hockey talk. It just seemed like whenever they talked about the Jays the morning after a game Sharp would not seem interested, make jokes about them, or just admit he didn't watch the game. I never thought I would say this but Benning actually brings up good points when talking about Jays basketball and I actually really enjoyed listening to him morning after games.

Since CU has gone over to 1620 I can't tell you a thing about 590 honestly. None of the ESPN programs interest me and getting a guy from Columbus, NE to do afternoon talk didn't really excite me either.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

cp jay 07 wrote:Also Your first line describes the new Perrault in town, Greg Sharpe on 1620, just replace Jays with Huskers and you have his model. I don't know how anyone can listen to Sharpe and Benning over DP on 1180.
It's Gary Sharp. And his show with Damon Benning is the best sports talk show in the area. Period. Solid, unhyped, and substantive. It's a local show, so if you want all-national talk, you'd have to go to Dan Patrick (who's horrible BTW).

Greg Sharpe is the play-by-play announcer of Nebraska football and baseball, and the regular host of Sports Nightly...and you'd expect that to be primarily Husker based, because it's run out of Lincoln by the network that syndicates Nebraska sports broadcasts.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

bigredmed wrote:Perrault has been off the air for years.  He was a Bluejay jock sniffer.  Hated the Huskers, and was orgasmic over Creighton.  UNO could have played so well the dead came back to life just to see the final minutes, and he wouldn't talk about it.  Sadly, as biased as he was, the station he worked for managed to find replacement shows that sucked even worse.
Perrault got ran out of town because he wouldn't suck up to management. Radio isn't any different then most jobs. If you are not kissing up to your bosses you get fired no matter how talented you are. The ones that have been around the longest are the ones that know how to stroke the bosses the best. Talent is secondary at best.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Perrault got ran out of town because he wouldn't suck up to management. Radio isn't any different then most jobs. If you are not kissing up to your bosses you get fired no matter how talented you are. The ones that have been around the longest are the ones that know how to stroke the bosses the best. Talent is secondary at best.
There is nobody else around. Holy |expletive| I should have known your d0uche a$$ is Perrault.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Linkin5 wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Perrault has been off the air for years. He was a Bluejay jock sniffer. Hated the Huskers, and was orgasmic over Creighton. UNO could have played so well the dead came back to life just to see the final minutes, and he wouldn't talk about it. Sadly, as biased as he was, the station he worked for managed to find replacement shows that sucked even worse.
There is nobody else around. Holy |expletive| I should have known your d0uche a$$ is Perrault.
You hate Perrault and you hate me and you have a potty mouth and yet I'm the bad guy. I get it. These internet forums are like the Bizzaro World that Seinfield used to talk about. Here in internet Bizzarro World good is bad, geeks are cool, up is down, hot is cold............I get it! :yes: