Change in Omaha Sports Radio

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Change in Omaha Sports Radio

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Linkin5 wrote: I still don't understand how people like "the drive" on 590, all those guys do is agree with each other and have NO original takes on what is going on, it is a four hour circle jerk.
Lol, that's probably what I like about them.  Instead of arguing over something pointless, they spend more time covering other topics.
I swear that is the M.O. on some sports shows. Somebody has to draw the short straw and take the other side and become the buffoon, the Lee Corso syndrome, or even the Lou Holtz disease. They only take a side no matter how |expletive| up that viewpoint is for 'entertainment' purposes.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I hate it when the hosts feel they have to take opposite sides. If you are paying attention you can usually tell which one is taking a side just to be different.

That being said I'm not fan when the hosts agree on everything. That seems to be the case with Nick and Sasha on GameTime. I actually like him better without Matt Schick, but Nick and Sasha seem to agree on everything.

Again, for me in Omaha there is Sharp and Benning, then everyone else.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The hosts don't have to disagree on everything, just have differing personalities.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I'm in the minority I guess, but I love Unsportsmanlike Conduct in the afternoons. I like John Bishop and his ability to poke holes...although sometimes his laugh can get annoying. Josh Peterson is one I really enjoy listening to.

Vrzal is terrible and should never be on the radio, ever.
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I did hear a few weeks ago that both Nick and Joe of The Drive on 590 have signed multi-year extensions with the station. I actually listen to them now more than I do Unsportsmanlike Conduct. This is the first show on 590 that I can say that with.

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Joe and Nick are pretty much the best thing on local sports talk after 11 am each day. I do wish they stayed more local, but I suspect that their show will evolve in August in that direction.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Isn't July 1 the date that the Huskers's Sports Nightly moves from 1110 to 590?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yes, July 1 is the date they take over Husker sports.

Greg
PobodysNerfect
New to the Neighborhood

Post by PobodysNerfect »

I actually like the Drive. I listen to Sharp and Benning in the morning, and now Russillo in the afternoon. And the Drive right when Russillo is done.That's if I am listening all day, I'm usually in and out of my car and work. I think the Drive is the first ESPN show I can actually listen to an it's eons above the new version of UC. I don't like Joe as much as a radio guy, I find Nick pretty good but I think they work together. I just like that they don't just do one sport or subject. They give teams from the area the time of day and even UNO gets some radio time out of it (have heard both Coach Hansen and Blais on the show frequently) so that's awesome to me.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Dumb question, did Russillo end up replacing SVP's show? I don't get to listen much.

I listen to Sharp and Benning in the morning and the Drive on the way home. Also am lucky enough to get 810 out of KC in my car so I listen to their daytime programming quite a bit.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

810 has an incredibly strong signal. I also get in a lot in my car. I can actually get it a good way towards Des Moines too, which is odd.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I didn't get to listen to that much yesterday, but 590 had Miles, Erstad, I believe Yori, the play by play voice... they sort of had a huge on-air party down in Lincoln with everything Husker.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:810 has an incredibly strong signal. I also get in a lot in my car. I can actually get it a good way towards Des Moines too, which is odd.

Weird story. I was at a KC Royals game a couple weeks ago. Voice behind me sounded familiar. I turned around, and sure enough it was Kevin Keitzman from Between The Lines. Very nice guy. Talked with him a bit and told him I listened from Omaha.

Was with his family. I believe had one of his sons from out of town. You could tell he is very very proud of all things Kansas City, including the Royals.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Listing to KFAB this morning and Jim Rose did a promo for Sports Nightly tonight after one of the sports updates. He had to stop and say, wait, we don't have that any more.

Easy to do when that is the habit but I still had to laugh that Mr perfect made a mistake. :mrgreen:
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nebugeater wrote:Listing to KFAB this morning and Jim Rose did a promo for Sports Nightly tonight after one of the sports updates. He had to stop and say, wait, we don't have that any more.

Easy to do when that is the habit but I still had to laugh that Mr perfect made a mistake. :mrgreen:
I just found out about 590's the Drive. Got to say that I hope that their Husker coverage doesn't damage too badly their ability to cover ANY OTHER THING. I get that the Huskers are big here, but the function of a sports talk show I most like is that they cover stuff that is on the way up. If Creighton's Vball team is on the cusp of national contendership, I want to know. When a minor team starts to be something special, that is when it is fun to get a ticket and take a fly on a game. I need these guys to be the radar of sports in the area.

Pertinent to previous topics, I too find it refreshing that they don't just argue opposites of an issue when there is clearly only one side that is rational. This season's NHL draft and trades that were compelled by the salary cap is one such recent topic. Clearly, the cap affected the trades and some teams are dumping people that they would have liked to keep, but can't.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Not local but it fits here as well as anywhere without a new thread.

It looks like Colin Cowherd is leaving ESPN and will be taking a role with Fox Sports.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/16/media/c ... ving-espn/

http://thebiglead.com/2015/07/16/colin- ... hats-next/
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

With 590 becoming the home of the Huskers for the Omaha market it looks like the Iowa Hawkeyes have found a new home in Omaha. They are listed as being on KCRO. Both the AM and FM side of the dial. AM 660 and FM 94.5. Do these two silmulcast all,the time or is it separately programmed? Not stations I listen to. How is there coverage of the area?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I didn't get to listen to it yet, but it sounds like Nick Bahe announced he has cancer on his show today. Good luck to him.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:I didn't get to listen to it yet, but it sounds like Nick Bahe announced he has cancer on his show today. Good luck to him.
Crazy thing is how they found it. He was really dizzy went in for test and they said he had 2 strokes. When they were trying to figure out why he had the strokes, the found the tumor in his chest.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

T's and P's to Bahe, from everything I have ever seen and heard he is a great guy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow (Wednesday). He got a lot of love from Fox1 tonight.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I didn't get to listen to it yet, but it sounds like Nick Bahe announced he has cancer on his show today. Good luck to him.
Crazy thing is how they found it. He was really dizzy went in for test and they said he had 2 strokes. When they were trying to figure out why he had the strokes, the found the tumor in his chest.
Such an evil disease. I lost my father to it.. My youngest sister battled and overcame breast cancer 2 years ago..

Let's hope that Nick will battle and overcome this as well...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I hope he pulls through fine. He's really come into his own on TV, which is cool to see.

I myself had a tumor in my chest; went through Chemotherapy and thankfully didn't have to have the invasive surgery.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Facebook friends with Nick's sister-in-law -- she just posted this ---

Thank you all for your love and support. Things took longer than we anticipated but Nick is out of surgery and getting to a room. He's doing great as is Kim. Everyone is tired but all went well. They will know more Monday about causes, what it was etc. Until then, thank you for the continued love and support.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

At this point Nick has a tumor that they have to test to see if it was cancer.

Either way it is not a good situation for the new father. While I don't like how he relates everything to basketball and Creighton I still find myself entertained by his program everyday. He seems like a great friendly guy to have a few beers with I wish him the best.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Not 100% Omaha but Lane Grindle is leaving the Husker broadcast team to take a position with the broadcast team for the Milwaukee Brewers.

Guessing that it could set up nice to replace Uecker at some point.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/ ... 13941.html
Phoenix — The Milwaukee Brewers announced Friday that University of Nebraska broadcaster Lane Grindle will join their radio booth as the third voice of the club behind Bob Uecker and Jeff Levering on WTMJ-AM (620) radio broadcasts and the Brewers Radio Network.

Grindle, 34, fills the void left when Joe Block departed as Uecker's sidekick to go to the Pittsburgh Pirates, and Levering was elevated from the No. 3 spot to that position. Grindle will join Levering for road broadcasts on trips that Uecker does not make.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nick Bahe wrote: ‎@NickBahe
Been a wild ride but I'm happy 2 announce that test results on my tumor came back benign. Thank u so much 4 your support the past few weeks.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I was at the Husker home opener baseball game today and listing to the radio PbP too. They talked about Grindle and said that today was his first day doing anything for the Brewers. He was doing a spring training game today.

With Grindle gone Nick Handley from 590 in Omaha will be joining the PbP team for radio for the rest of the year. This was announced during the game on the radio broadcast. They stated it "for the rest of the year" enough times that it sounds to me like it is so far for the balance of this year only. He was in the booth for the later innings and will be there tomorrow and for the weekend games.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nick does a great job as the PA for UNO hockey, I can see him being good at a baseball PbP.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Overall I enjoy the Drive on 590. One thing though that they beat to death is the little nick names for the regular contributors. I think it's Nick that is most guilty. They do it a ton. Michael Bruntz is Bruntzie, Eric Olson is Ollie, etc. Once I noticed how often they do it, it got really annoying quick.

Greg
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I'm not pleased that 590 replaced Rusillo and Kannel with yet another local show to talk Huskers all the damn time. I assume thats exactly why they did it and I know I'm in the minority but still... I also think that having listened to Severe only for about 30 minutes total now that he is not a great host. I enjoyed him with Kugler, but Kugler ran the show and that made a big difference. I much preferred the national talk to more local |expletive|. :grr:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's weird when he does not have a guest on. Needs to interact more with his producer, like Nick Bahe does. I will listen more once football season ends. Bahe does way too much basketball for my tastes once we hit the new year.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

cdub wrote:I'm not pleased that 590 replaced Rusillo and Kannel with yet another local show to talk Huskers all the darn time. I assume thats exactly why they did it and I know I'm in the minority but still... I also think that having listened to Severe only for about 30 minutes total now that he is not a great host. I enjoyed him with Kugler, but Kugler ran the show and that made a big difference. I much preferred the national talk to more local |expletive|. :grr:

Severe is just awful. Unsportsmanlike conduct upgraded big time when they lost him and added Josh Peterson.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think 1620's USC is at it's worst right now. John Bishop tries to hard to be funny (has the fakest laugh) and Josh can be overly jovial at times. Just a weird show at times. For the first time, I actually listen to 590 in the afternoon's now. I think they have the better show.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OK, I missed this... Didn't Mike'l Severe go to an OWH podcast to start a new online type of Internet radio format, yet I hear The Bottom Line now on AM radio...? Did that experiment die?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:OK, I missed this... Didn't Mike'l Severe go to an OWH podcast to start a new online type of Internet radio format, yet I hear The Bottom Line now on AM radio...? Did that experiment die?

He is still part of the OWH and streams.

It is now simelcast of 590

Here is what I guess..... This was always part of the plan but Mike'l had a non compete for a specific amount of time to be on the "radio" in the market. Once that expired it was expanded. I do believe there was a station or two that simulcast the OWH show sooner than 590 ( no idea if they still do) that happened much sooner but they were not in the Omaha market.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Coyote wrote:OK, I missed this... Didn't Mike'l Severe go to an OWH podcast to start a new online type of Internet radio format, yet I hear The Bottom Line now on AM radio...? Did that experiment die?

He is still part of the OWH and streams.

It is now simelcast of 590

Here is what I guess..... This was always part of the plan but Mike'l had a non compete for a specific amount of time to be on the "radio" in the market. Once that expired it was expanded. I do believe there was a station or two that simulcast the OWH show sooner than 590 ( no idea if they still do) that happened much sooner but they were not in the Omaha market.
That's was my guess too. Also, at first I thought they were only simulcasting part of the show, but now they are doing all 3 hours.

I have also noticed over the past few years that the media in Omaha has really "partnered up". OWH and Scripps were the final "team" to form. Seems like Clear Channel and WOWT have been together forever, then NRG and KETV got together.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So during the intro for The Bottom Line, they say "online on omaha.com and now available on your favorite radio stations"

I'm guessing by the "S" on the end of stations, they are hoping to syndicate on more than just 590.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:So during the intro for The Bottom Line, they say "online on omaha.com and now available on your favorite radio stations"

I'm guessing by the "S" on the end of stations, they are hoping to syndicate on more than just 590.

Weren't they simulcasting on a over the air station outside the Omaha market before 590? Maybe that has changed and I also may not be rembering it correctly.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just heard from a very reliable source that Omaha NRG Media is in a bad state. No GM right now along with many of the top staffers. The President of NRG was in town last week trying to get things back on track. Anyone else know anything about this?