Change in Omaha Sports Radio

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Glad to know I'm not the only one that is completely annoyed by that, derog. He acts as if every 25 words Matt strings together are 10 George Carlin/Paton Oswalt/Richard Pryor jokes wrapped into one sentence. Obviously, I don't listen to that show either.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

It was great for them to go local in the AM but they seem to have botched the show.  Used to listen in the AM to them when I could but not any more.  I know plenty of sports fans that have the option and to a one no one is listing to them any more.  Too lazy too look and maybe there isn't anything real recent out right now but wounder what their ratings are like and what direction they are headed.  They could really do something with this time slot.  From the last time I have listed it seems like there has been 10 min of sports talk ( or just plain TALK) and 50 min of bits and sound bites in every hour they do.   Some is OK but this is crazy.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Twiztid1 wrote:New local show starts today from 2-6 pm on 590.  It's hosted by the sports guy from TnT and another guy.
And like usually, nothing on the 590 website about it.

Petey Mac does a good job.  I remember when he would fill in for Travis back in the day.

Too bad it wasn't on 9-11...
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

I'm willing to give them a shot. Hope Michael Gray is interesting or funny because the other guy is not. Nice advertising 590...just found out about this on here.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Since 590 dropped the Royals that station is dead to me.

Greg
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

It's Schick and Nick minus the annoying laugh.

No thank you.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Greg S wrote:Since 590 dropped the Royals that station is dead to me.

Greg
hear hear
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ankeny Husker Freak
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ankeny Husker Freak »

ThatGuy wrote:It's Schick and Nick minus the annoying laugh.

No thank you.
That's what I thought as well.  I listened for about a day and a half and went back to Unsportsmanlike Conduct on my phone at work.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

What are you 10?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

1620 The Zone will have a sister station starting Monday

1180 The Zone 2
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

ThatGuy wrote:My opinion here.

Petros and Money is the most entertaining "sports" show on the radio since Kylie and Booms years ago.

My ears bleed if I listen to Schick and Nick for more than 1 minute. I guess Schick is OK, but Nick's annoying laugh after each and every thing Schick says makes me want to rip the radio out of my car.

Kevin Kugler is fairly solid, but the other dude is super annoying, unless they are talking about the NFL draft.

I can't believe Omaha has a AAA team and nobody carries KC Royals Games.
I think Petros and Money are brutal.

Not a fan of Schick and Nick either.

I do like Kugler and Severe.

I can't believe Rome is still on.  Same show he was doing 15 years ago.  His callers are horrible.  I don't care about smack amongst them.

The Royals have been added to to 1620 and 1180, hopefully all of their games will be carried in the future.

I do like the idea of 1180 going sports full-time as well.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Greg S wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:My opinion here.

Petros and Money is the most entertaining "sports" show on the radio since Kylie and Booms years ago.

My ears bleed if I listen to Schick and Nick for more than 1 minute. I guess Schick is OK, but Nick's annoying laugh after each and every thing Schick says makes me want to rip the radio out of my car.

Kevin Kugler is fairly solid, but the other dude is super annoying, unless they are talking about the NFL draft.

I can't believe Omaha has a AAA team and nobody carries KC Royals Games.
I think Petros and Money are brutal.

Not a fan of Schick and Nick either.

I do like Kugler and Severe.

I can't believe Rome is still on.  Same show he was doing 15 years ago.  His callers are horrible.  I don't care about smack amongst them.

The Royals have been added to to 1620 and 1180, hopefully all of their games will be carried in the future.

I do like the idea of 1180 going sports full-time as well.

Greg
Schick and Nick gets funnier the more you listen to them, there are reoccurring jokes and themes that are pretty good.  I have always liked Unsportsmans like conduct due to the good interviews and Kugler is awesome.  

Anybody know what happened to Petey Mac on that brutal afternoon sports show on 590?  This show has got to be one of the worst I have listened to in a while.  It is approaching Zach and Jack levels of terribleness.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

1180 has always been 1620's "sister station"...in fact, originally 1620 was supposed to replace 1180 to free up radio bandwidth.  1180 was a sports station before they moved it to 1620, and then they ran other things (Radio Disney) for a while until they were supposed to shut it down.  Which they did for a while, then the FCC basically relented and said that 1180 could go back on the air.

Glad to see Tim Brando on in the market.  I thought that NRG made a mistake bringing Fox over from 590, but I guess they had to do it to get Rome.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nice to be getting Dan Patrick back in town.  I'll listen to him over Rome.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

iamjacobm wrote:Nice to be getting Dan Patrick back in town.  I'll listen to him over Rome.
He is good.  To be fair, white noise is a step up from Jim Rome.
nebugeater
City Council

Kevin Kugler

Post by nebugeater »

I am hearing from a source that I feel is solid and reliable that Kevin Kugler is leaving the show he helped launch on 1620.  Not sure on exact time but it supposed to not be too far off.

That makes me wonder (if true) what is next for him?

Is he taking on a larger roll with the Big 10 Network,  Is his roll with NCAA or NFL coverage growing or moving to TV rather than radio? Is he just tired of the daily show and has enough other things going on to not need it?  

And then the next question is who repalces him on 1620?

Damon Benning?  He is on a lot and hold his own.  Not coaching now so this may be an option.
One of the guys from the AM show?  Sure hope not.
John Bishop?  Has a pretty solid gig in Lincoln if I am correct.

Anyone alse heard any rumbling to this effect?
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I have not heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me.  I don't know what pays the bills for him:  local sports talk, NFL/NCAA play-by-play, BTN and NET moonlighting, or voiceovers for commercials...but it has to be quite the grind.  And he has the talent to be bigger than Omaha, if he wanted to leave the area.

Who replaces him?  My instinct suggests they'll look outside the market, but it could be Damon Benning.  John Bishop is program director at KLIN in Lincoln; I doubt he'd do it.  Maybe David Gustafson, who's now in Columbus and did Creighton baseball on 1620.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

How about John Fricke?  He does fill in work for Fox Sports Radio.  He lives in Atlanta I belive.  Bleeds Husker Red and I have seen him post on a couple BBS's in the past that he would love to get back to Nebraska.  I belive he did some PbP for second level sports for the Huskers at one time and is a UNL grad.  He deffinalty has an opinion if you ever hear him on Fox
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

No offense but why would a new guy need to bleed husker red? I've never thought Kugler was a husker homer.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

blueblood wrote:No offense but why would a new guy need to bleed husker red? I've never thought Kugler was a husker homer.
A new guy doesn't need.  Just point out his ties to Nebraska.  I agree on Kevin, he is not a Husker homer and calls it like he sees it.  My take on Frecke Bleeding Husker Red is because on his National shows if they are talking college he always seems to find a way to bring Nebraska into it.  By the way, no offense taken!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Please keep the jay-sker homers away from the radio.   We have too many of them already.   Would much rather listen to someone who can talk intelligently about UNO, non-spectator participation sports, and pros.
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

bigredmed wrote:Please keep the jay-sker homers away from the radio.   We have too many of them already.   Would much rather listen to someone who can talk intelligently about UNO, non-spectator participation sports, and pros.

Totally agree.  The national radio shows do well without it, it would be nice to have a local angle on it. I think there is an audience for it.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Maybe Gary Sharp?  I wonder if he would come back to the area.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm assuming it's Kevin leaving but aren't we supposed to get the big Nighthawks annoucement this week?  

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

If it was a Nighthawks announcement, Mike'l Severe would have said something more specific about it.

Please make sure you tune into Unsportsmanlike conduct on Wednesday for a very special announcement. Live from the Aqua Zone.

Gary Sharp would be good as well.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

We have a lot of people who are into participation sports.   We have morethat are looking to start, or add a new game.   It would be cool to have a day or two a week where they talked about this.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Kuglar leaving Next Thursday 7/5.  Expanded Roll at BTN.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:Kuglar leaving Next Thursday 7/5.  Expanded Roll at BTN.
Replacement named next week.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

SO is it true that this AM it was anounced that Nick Bahe​ is leaving the 1620 morning show?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:SO is it true that this AM it was anounced that Nick Bahe​ is leaving the 1620 morning show?
My co-worker told me that Shick is going to be the PM co-host with Mike'l and Nick was going to do other things.  Not sure what that means.

There will be a new show on in the Morning.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Not sure what to think of that.  WIll give it a shot but I hope his AM act does not come to the PM slot.
Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:SO is it true that this AM it was anounced that Nick Bahe​ is leaving the 1620 morning show?
My co-worker told me that Shick is going to be the PM co-host with Mike'l and Nick was going to do other things.  Not sure what that means.

There will be a new show on in the Morning.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jason Peter and _______________ in the Morning...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

1620's press release says that Nick Bahe is leaving to do something outside of radio....

Greg
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Brad wrote:Jason Peter and _______________ in the Morning...

Read some where else they are bringing in someone from Lincoln as the second guy. I'm sorry but husker morning, noon and night?  Gawd, enough already.  I suppose Schick and Nick talked husker 90% of the time anyway but does anyone have any guts in this town? Are there that few listeners to radio that no one can give us a choice? I have nothing against husker fans or shows and an all Jay show is not my answer but wow anyone ever hear the word overkill? Jason Peter? This thing bombs and fast.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Lincoln guy?  Where did you see this?  

Greg
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

blueblood wrote:
Brad wrote:Jason Peter and _______________ in the Morning...

Read some where else they are bringing in someone from Lincoln as the second guy. I'm sorry but husker morning, noon and night?  Gawd, enough already.  I suppose Schick and Nick talked husker 90% of the time anyway but does anyone have any guts in this town? Are there that few listeners to radio that no one can give us a choice? I have nothing against husker fans or shows and an all Jay show is not my answer but wow anyone ever hear the word overkill? Jason Peter? This thing bombs and fast.
Idk, man. During basketball season, I hear very little about Nebrasketball, and mostly Creighton. And for good reason, Nebraska basketball blows harder than Andy Dick on Hollywood Blvd.