2011 Nebraska Baseball

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

He said he was a horrible hitting coach.
He wants to get a great recruiter, a great pitching coach and someone with fire.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:He said he was a horrible hitting coach.
He wants to get a great recruiter, a great pitching coach and someone with fire.
Yeah he basically said he isn't great at any specific part of the game, but to me he seems like a born leader.  Guys will want to play hard for him and with a strong assistant squad this program could go far under his leadership.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Jim Rome would always call him one of the biggest red @$$es in all of baseball.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

I don't follow college sports anymore due to the hypocrisy and greed, but this seems really dumb. It would be like Nebraska hiring Eric Crouch to run the football team based on him winning the Heisman.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ThatGuy wrote:I don't follow college sports anymore due to the hypocrisy and greed, but this seems really dumb. It would be like Nebraska hiring Eric Crouch to run the football team based on him winning the Heisman.
Eric Crouch didn't play 16 years of pro sports and Erstad isn't a prick like Crouch.  This guy knows his baseball he may or may not be a good coach, but he knows the sport.  Give him a few good assistants and he could make some noise.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

I honestly though UNL would want to get rid of the Sanders era, not hire one of his players.

Risky move, smart move to bring Bolt in though for recruiting purposes.

So does this mean that when Doc is fired next year we will see coach Tyrone Lue take over the head coaching position.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

cp jay 07 wrote:I honestly though UNL would want to get rid of the Sanders era, not hire one of his players.

So does this mean that when Doc is fired next year we will see coach Tyrone Lue take over the head coaching position.
No, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Eric Piakowski pretty soon though.   :lol:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:I honestly though UNL would want to get rid of the Sanders era, not hire one of his players.

Doc will be around for years to come because of all the love he gets from Creighton fans...

Greg
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Anyone catch the part of Erstad's press conference when he said he doesn't have much experience in certain areas like recruiting, and that he would lean on his assistants for that?

Since when is unqualified considered qualified - in a cutesy, ironic, "well he's a Nebraska guy", sorta way? I don't get it.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

S33 wrote:Anyone catch the part of Erstad's press conference when he said he doesn't have much experience in certain areas like recruiting, and that he would lean on his assistants for that?

Since when is unqualified considered qualified - in a cutesy, ironic, "well he's a Nebraska guy", sorta way? I don't get it.
They'll be fine, especially if you get Will Bolt as one of the assistants.

Greg
Ankeny Husker Freak
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ankeny Husker Freak »

Great move on the part of Erstad to bring in Bolt as an assistant coach.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ankeny Husker Freak wrote:Great move on the part of Erstad to bring in Bolt as an assistant coach.
Fantastic news!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Cody Asche went to the Phillies in the 4th.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska hires Silva as pitching coach
World-Herald Bureau wrote:Nebraska baseball coach Darin Erstad announced the second addition to his coaching staff on Friday, as Ted Silva has been hired as the Huskers' pitching coach. Silva comes to Lincoln from the West Coast, where he has spent the past four seasons as the pitching coach at UC Irvine and Loyola Marymount.
Is this a good hire? They will be talking about Silva on 1620 shortly
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think it is a great hire.  Getting a coach from a very good west coast program to keep his exact same job title at a B1G Ten school probably doesn't happen often.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rumor has it that Erstad has a low salary so they could throw money at him.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I heard the same thing.  He took less to get better assistants.  Makes sense he made over $50 million as a player.

Greg
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, some how I can't imagine money is much of a concern for Erstad... sort of the same situation with Joe Moglia.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Re:

Post by Coyote »

Greg S wrote:

Doc will be around for years to come because of all the love he gets from Creighton fans...

Greg
Of all people rumored for the Knicks position, Tyronn Lue has been mentioned as a outside shot. From director of basketball development for the Celtics and now an assistant under Doc Rivers with the Clippers, his career sure has taken a turn I never imagined...
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Re:

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Greg
Of all people rumored for the Knicks position, Tyronn Lue has been mentioned as a outside shot. From director of basketball development for the Celtics and now an assistant under Doc Rivers with the Clippers, his career sure has taken a turn I never imagined...

How does this fit the 2011 Baseball thread? :;):
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:How does this fit the 2011 Baseball thread?   :;):
It was the only thread where Tyronn Lue was mentioned, hence the perfect place for a NBA head coach post....
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:How does this fit the 2011 Baseball thread?   :;):
It was the only thread where Tyronn Lue was mentioned, hence the perfect place for a NBA head coach post....
Got it.... makes perfect since!

Hard to believe he wasn't mention in the thread where the Doc - Miles coaching change was happening.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!