2011 Nebraska Baseball

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeglow
Planning Board

2011 Nebraska Baseball

Post by joeglow »

Great weekend for the Huskers.  #5 UCLA comes to town and Nebraska takes them to extra innings all 3 games, taking 2 of them.  Today's game was 4-0 UCLA through 7.  Nebraska scored 1 in the 8th and 3 in the 9th to send it to extra innings before hitting a walk off homer in the 12th.

Another big series next weekend.
Last edited by joeglow on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I am glad they got UCLA and Fresno to come to Nebraska in early March!  That is a rarity in itself and Nebraska completely took advantage so far.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Looks like college baseball in this state is headed back in the direction of the early 2000s.  Great timing for both with the coming opening of TDAP.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great Shots Nebugeater!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Cool pics!  Hawks Field is nice down there.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Was down to what was called a game Friday night in Lincoln.  Second inning was one to forget for the ages.

I have added some photos to my Flickr thread.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nebugeater ... 086823205/

Here are a few of that is at the link

Jordan Burroughs  Two time National Champ in wrestling throws out the first pitch.  
ImageHusker Baseball vs Ok State308 by nebugeater, on Flickr

ImageHusker Baseball vs Ok State365 by nebugeater, on Flickr

ImageHusker Baseball vs Ok State322 by nebugeater, on Flickr

The Husker bull pin after inning #2
ImageHusker Baseball vs Ok State390 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Just what is the Camera Man in the back taking pictures of?
ImageHusker Baseball vs Ok State301 by nebugeater, on Flickr

ImageHusker Baseball vs Ok State382 by nebugeater, on Flickr

ImageHusker Baseball vs Ok State370 by nebugeater, on Flickr

ImageHusker Baseball vs Ok State354 by nebugeater, on Flickr

ImageHusker Baseball vs Ok State411 by nebugeater, on Flickr
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nice Shots Nebugeater!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

FIRE ANDERSON!
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well Nebraska's season is done.  Anderson needs to go.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Anderson has to get fired, three years not making the B12 tourney is unacceptable.  At the same time it is pretty sad that a team as bad as Creighton is still going to get a bid though.  I don't mean this as a knock to Creighton but they lost the overall series 2-1 against a pretty bad Nebraska team.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Linkin5 wrote:Anderson has to get fired, three years not making the B12 tourney is unacceptable.  At the same time it is pretty sad that a team as bad as Creighton is still going to get a bid though.  I don't mean this as a knock to Creighton but they lost the overall series 2-1 against a pretty bad Nebraska team.
:roll:

You know, it was sad that a team as bad as Nebraska made the Holiday Bowl two years ago. I don't mean this as a knock to Nebraska but they lost at home to a pretty bad Iowa State team.

Creighton also went 2-0 against Kansas, while Nebraska lost 2-of-3. Which is why the transitive property of mathematics doesn't apply to sports.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

OmahaBen wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Anderson has to get fired, three years not making the B12 tourney is unacceptable.  At the same time it is pretty sad that a team as bad as Creighton is still going to get a bid though.  I don't mean this as a knock to Creighton but they lost the overall series 2-1 against a pretty bad Nebraska team.

You know, it was sad that a team as bad as Nebraska made the Holiday Bowl two years ago. I don't mean this as a knock to Nebraska but they lost at home to a pretty bad Iowa State team.

Creighton also went 2-0 against Kansas, while Nebraska lost 2-of-3. Which is why the transitive property of mathematics doesn't apply to sports.

Your comparison is a one game loss while I am talking about a best of three series?  I am a Creighton fan, I have been to a lot of the games this season.  I just simply don't think ANY team from the MVC should make it this year.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

FIRE ANDERSON!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Stargazer wrote:FIRE ANDERSON!!
Word!  Saint Tom Osborne needs to go if he doesn't fire Anderson.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Rumors going around the interwebs saying Anderson is gone....I am waiting for the official word though.

EDIT-10/11 now reporting it as official

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/N ... 18219.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Thank God!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Source Within Program: Nebraska Baseball Coaching Staff Fired
10/11 Sports wrote:A source within the program confirmed to 10/11 News the entire Nebraska baseball coaching staff has been fired. Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne met with the team at 1:30 Sunday afternoon.
Last edited by Coyote on Sun May 22, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Osborne Fires Nebraska Baseball Coach Mike Anderson and Staff
10/11 Sports wrote:Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne announced Sunday that he has made a change in the leadership of the Nebraska baseball program. “I appreciate the efforts of Mike Anderson and his coaching staff, but I have made the decision to change the direction of our baseball program,” Osborne said. “Mike has done an outstanding job with our baseball program academically, and he enjoyed outstanding success on the field early in his head coaching career here at Nebraska. I want to thank him for all of his hard work and everything he has done for our baseball program.”
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

It was over for Mikey as soon as Van Horns last recruit left town. You can only do so much with another mans talent.

I personally expect Will Bolt from Texarkana to be the new head coach.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

cp jay 07 wrote:It was over for Mikey as soon as Van Horns last recruit left town. You can only do so much with another mans talent.

I personally expect Will Bolt from Texarkana to be the new head coach.
Everybody is throwing Bolt's name around, he would be extremely young as a head coach.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Bolt is extremely young but you have to look at where UNL's program is at right now. They are going to a pretty bad baseball conference, big 10s current RPI is 17, they have come off two horrible seasons and they are a northern school. Pretty much facilities are the only thing going for them right now.

The names I am hearing UNL fan throw out there are unbelievable. Brian O'Connor which would never happen for a number of reasons. Childress, why would he want to come back after you didn't give him the job in the first place and now you are in the big 10. Servais, Ed likes the situation at CU, he got the new stadium, he is finally getting the states and cities attention, and a new indoor facility is being built at Creighton, there is no way Ed would take a step back by going to UNL. He has also turned down the ACC and Mt West before.

You pretty much have to build a program from scratch again like Van Horn did, except now you don't have the Texas schools helping you. Also UNL is now a stepping stone program even more, it will be tough to keep a coach in a northern league if a southern school comes calling. Bolt would at least give you a young energetic coach who probably will have some loyalty.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Like you mentioned facilities and possibly salary if Nebraska is willing to pay 300,000 a year again are the real only positives on the job.  The B1G Ten doesn't do baseball which will make it very hard for Nebraska to make a powerhouse.  It does help that UNL is the premier job in the B1G 10 for baseball though, but it wont draw a coach from an established program.  Nebraska will have to find the next up and comer and hope to hold onto him for 10 years and maybe he likes it here and decides to not jump for a bigger program.  

I think the expectations need to be changed as well.  Nebraska baseball should be happy with hosting a regional and perhaps making a run to a super regional or even the CWS in very special years.

Nebraska should OWN the B1G 10 in baseball I hope they find a good coach.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brian O'Connor?  Rod Delmonico? Jim Scholastic? Mark Kingston? Jim Schlossnagle? Scott Stricklin?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think NU will be fine.  Haymarket  Park is a great college facility.  They've got the indoor facility coming up, so the next coach knows Nebraska is committed.  

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Osborne won't rush search
Jon Nyatawa WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:The Husker coaching staff — minus Anderson — is “still working” and will remain in place until the baseball program's new coach decides otherwise, Osborne said Tuesday on the “Sports Nightly” radio show on the Husker Sports Network. “Certainly it doesn't mean they're going to be here forever, but we do value those guys and their contributions,”
Looks like only Anderson is gone right now.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

cp jay 07 wrote:Brian O'Connor which would never happen for a number of reasons

Indeed.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:Brian O'Connor which would never happen for a number of reasons

Indeed.
?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Illinois - the winner of the Big 10 Tourney - earned a 4th seed out at Fullerton. I hope Nebraska plans on getting a good non conference schedule together - or this may be all they could expect winning the Big 10.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

To be fair Illinois went 27-25 and Nebraska went 30-25.  I think it just shows how awful the Big 10 is at baseball.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Texas and others have said they will schedule Nebraska for non-conference.  The Big 10 is weak in baseball.  Nebraska going in will be the premier program.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Erstad is the new HC.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

This is about like Iowa State hiring Fred Hoiberg for it's basketball coach... great history with the school and team... but what does he bring in terms of coaching experience.  I hope he turns out to be a great one.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Stargazer wrote:This is about like Iowa State hiring Fred Hoiberg for it's basketball coach... great history with the school and team... but what does he bring in terms of coaching experience.  I hope he turns out to be a great one.
Rumors around that Will Bolt has been approached for an assistant job.  Hopefully Erstad is up for the task.  Playing for a former MLB #1 pick should be a good recruiting tool though.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:
Stargazer wrote:This is about like Iowa State hiring Fred Hoiberg for it's basketball coach... great history with the school and team... but what does he bring in terms of coaching experience.  I hope he turns out to be a great one.
Rumors around that Will Bolt has been approached for an assistant job.  Hopefully Erstad is up for the task.  Playing for a former MLB #1 pick should be a good recruiting tool though.
Hope this works out.  Would be interesting if Bolt came back as an assistant.  That would be great.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There will be a NU Press Conference on 1620 in a few minutes.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I loved how honest he was in the press conference.  He gets Nebraska and played with a style that he can bring to this program.  I think he will be a great coach.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:I loved how honest he was in the press conference.  He gets Nebraska and played with a style that he can bring to this program.  I think he will be a great coach.
Can you  give a few sentence overview.  Didn't get to hear any of it.