2011 Nebraska football

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Joe Paterno will not be coaching against the Huskers this weekend.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:Joe Paterno will not be coaching against the Huskers this weekend.
Had to be done.  I was surprised they even considered letting him finish the season.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Had to be done.  I was surprised they even considered letting him finish the season.
The way it was done was horrible though, the man has given over 60 years to your school and made tons of money for it and you fire him over the phone. Really, Trev Alberts thinks that is busch league.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

cp jay 07 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
The way it was done was horrible though, the man has given over 60 years to your school and made tons of money for it and you fire him over the phone. Really, Trev Alberts thinks that is busch league.
At least put him on a leave of absence while they finish the investigation, he didn't even get that.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Obviously you and cpjay haven't read the grand jury indictment. I suggest you do that and then comment.

Last edited by ThatGuy on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

What does reading the report have to do with firing him over the phone? I think most people who though firing him was necessary even thought firing him over a phone call was busch league.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Because any normal person wouldn't care how they fired him had they read the report. Once you facilitate child rape, all bets are off.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

ThatGuy wrote:Obviously you and cpjay haven't read the grand jury indictment. I suggest you do that and then comment.

I read that nasty little report. JoPa is in a bit of a grey area, as far as the legal ramifications go, for dumping him like they did. By doing what they did, they basically admit to an internal cover-up and open the university up to massive civil suits.

I think he should be fired, but with due process.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

S33 wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:Obviously you and cpjay haven't read the grand jury indictment. I suggest you do that and then comment.

I read that nasty little report. JoPa is in a bit of a grey area, as far as the legal ramifications go, for dumping him like they did. By doing what they did, they basically admit to an internal cover-up and open the university up to massive civil suits.

I think he should be fired, but with due process.
That guy, you make it sound like Joe Pa was the one touching the little kids. By law he did all he had to do. Am I saying its right? absolutely not and I can't understand why the law is like that and has not been changed. But by law he did all he had to do. Yes I read the report, the Grad assistant really left a Grey area there also by just telling Joe, why didn't he call the cops or get the kid out of there?

Here is my big problem with this is that no one is making a big deal about Sandusky, the real creep, living at him home til December, which is less than 1000 ft from an elementary school. The media is focusing on Joe and almost making it seem like he is the pedo here while Sandusky just sits at home quietly.

And I am going to agree with S33 on this and say that if Sandusky can live at home til due process and while the justice system works it out and has his court date then Joe should be able to coach til then.

I find it funny that they only fired Joe and let the Grad assistant stay and all the other coaches, like they didn't know anything was going, IMO they all need to be fired at the end of the season, but like S33 said with due process.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

cp jay 07 wrote:Here is my big problem with this is that no one is making a big deal about Sandusky, the real creep, living at him home til December, which is less than 1000 ft from an elementary school. The media is focusing on Joe and almost making it seem like he is the pedo here while Sandusky just sits at home quietly.
This is EXACTLY why Paterno, et al, are losing their jobs.  As far as Penn State and Paterno are concerned, the issue here is the coverup/complacency, not the crime.

A big deal doesn't need to be made of Sandusky because he's going to get Jeffrey Dahmered.
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I understand that the issue has to do with JoPa meeting the bare bones legal requirements.  Set that aside far as continued employment goes, there has to be accountability for knowing what has transpired in the past and allowing Sandusky to continue to be around the program after he "retired", using facilities, having an office (allegedly) bring young boys with him to on campus events and allowing opportunity to exist under JoPa watch where the once reported even could transpire again on University property let alone anywhere else.  This alone is grounds for dismissal in my opinion, regardless of the method.  the BOD did their job in debating it, made their decision, and used what they felt was the most prudent way to let him know possible.  It is possible that they called JoPa and asked him to come to the meeting and he refused thus resulting in the phone discharge.  Going to his home would have been wrong and potentially dangerous with all the fans outside.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

nebugeater wrote:I understand that the issue has to do with JoPa meeting the bare bones legal requirements.  Set that aside far as continued employment goes, there has to be accountability for knowing what has transpired in the past and allowing Sandusky to continue to be around the program after he "retired", using facilities, having an office (allegedly) bring young boys with him to on campus events and allowing opportunity to exist under JoPa watch where the once reported even could transpire again on University property let alone anywhere else.  This alone is grounds for dismissal in my opinion, regardless of the method.  the BOD did their job in debating it, made their decision, and used what they felt was the most prudent way to let him know possible.  It is possible that they called JoPa and asked him to come to the meeting and he refused thus resulting in the phone discharge.  Going to his home would have been wrong and potentially dangerous with all the fans outside.
All reports said a messenger dropped a not off at Joe's house, inside the note there was a phone number to call, Joe called the number, on the other line were two BOT members who said "You have been relieved of your duties there is no need to talk" and hung up. This was before the riots so they could have easily gone to his house and done it or found a better way.

I really don't have problem with the firing, I know it had to be done, but the way they did it was very unprofessional. I am also sick of the Media basically forgetting about Sandusky and focusing all their attention on Joe Pa.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

What I find sad is that so many people knew of this and tolerated it! :(
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cp jay 07 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I understand that the issue has to do with JoPa meeting the bare bones legal requirements.  Set that aside far as continued employment goes, there has to be accountability for knowing what has transpired in the past and allowing Sandusky to continue to be around the program after he "retired", using facilities, having an office (allegedly) bring young boys with him to on campus events and allowing opportunity to exist under JoPa watch where the once reported even could transpire again on University property let alone anywhere else.  This alone is grounds for dismissal in my opinion, regardless of the method.  the BOD did their job in debating it, made their decision, and used what they felt was the most prudent way to let him know possible.  It is possible that they called JoPa and asked him to come to the meeting and he refused thus resulting in the phone discharge.  Going to his home would have been wrong and potentially dangerous with all the fans outside.
All reports said a messenger dropped a not off at Joe's house, inside the note there was a phone number to call, Joe called the number, on the other line were two BOT members who said "You have been relieved of your duties there is no need to talk" and hung up. This was before the riots so they could have easily gone to his house and done it or found a better way.

I really don't have problem with the firing, I know it had to be done, but the way they did it was very unprofessional. I am also sick of the Media basically forgetting about Sandusky and focusing all their attention on Joe Pa.

I had missed that detail.  It could have been handled better.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Early on, I was one of the few who felt like Paterno was getting the shaft (so to speak)... but as it's become increasingly apparent just how long this has been kept under wraps by Penn State... it's hard for me to believe that Paterno didn't know full well that this phone call could be coming at ANY time over the past DECADE.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice road win over a ranked team - and Texas loses to boot.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Wasn't at all surprised to see Ron Brown leading that pre-game prayer... NU came away looking pretty classy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube][/youtube]
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Shatel wrote a great column on this yesterday.

Greg
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

OmahaBen wrote:
Greg S wrote:I agree, uninspiring.  Like the idea and what it stands for though.
The idea of the Heroes Game is already played; it's called Army-Navy (because, let's face it, in this climate you know darn well the "citizen heroes" being honored are going to be in uniform 99 out of 100 times).

But apparently Hy-Vee couldn't afford to sponsor an actual bowl game, so they came up with this |expletive| instead. I'm guessing the Trophy's going to a bronzed American Flag?

The Heroes being honored have been announced and they are not members of the armed services.....

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111123/N ... es-at-game
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I don't care if they're honoring Helen Keller or Mohandas Gandhi, the "heroes" gimmick is stupid. And selling the game out to HyVee proves it's nothing more than a marketing gimmick.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It might be a stupid gimmick to some but in this day and age with everything going on, I'd rather hear and see those doing great things get honored more often.  In Kansas City they honor someone at every home Royals game in the Buck O'Neill seats.  I never get tired of hearing about these people during the broadcasts.

Sponsorships are just a part of sports. It's every where.  Mutual of Omaha sponors UNO's Stampede Tourney. Hy Vee sponsors a lot of sports and teams in the markets they serve.  They are big in KC on the Royals and also sponsor the Storm Chasers here.  I went to the OU Texas game a few years ago and it was sponsored by Dr.  Pepper.

Greg
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

S33 wrote:I don't care if they're honoring Helen Keller or Mohandas Gandhi, the "heroes" gimmick is stupid. And selling the game out to HyVee proves it's nothing more than a marketing gimmick.
heck YEAH.  Give us our "If it bleeds, it leads" mentality.  This, "lets recognize people for great deeds sh*t is for the birds."
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Iowa, you just lost your first of MANY to come.  I am sorry you have to play us every year.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Greg S wrote:It might be a stupid gimmick to some but in this day and age with everything going on, I'd rather hear and see those doing great things get honored more often.
What, exactly, is so different about this day and age than any other in the grand scheme of things? And how does that make this dumb@$$ gimmick any more meaningful now than it would have been, say, 30 years ago when NU and OU were fighting it out on Thanksgiving weekend?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

When I heard brief stories about our respective state heroes, I was thinking "I'll see your state's child rescuer and raise with a child rescuer who is a 3-time cancer survivor'.  But then later, I heard Iowa's hero also took on some 100+ foster kids during the course of his life.  Self sacrifice trumps personal hardship... Iowa's hero wins.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Some people will not like anything no matter what.  Internet forums convince me of this.

Sponsorship is part of things everywhere

That is why the CWS is played at TDA park and not Rosenblatt.
The CU basketball is played and the CLINK and not at the Civic
The Rose bowl has a title sponsor  ( The Grandaddy of the all o so they say)
The list goes on and on.

In some ways we have come full circle.  Early TV shows where all with a named title sponsor often in the show name and mentioned by the on air talent.

Good for HyVee in stepping up and sponsoring this game and the trophy.  I hope they get something out of it too in terms of customers because it helps pay the bills.  They are a solid Midwest based company that employee many people in the region.  From what I know they are good to work for too.

As for Hero's, got a better idea?  I like it and it can be a different reason each season that someone is selected.  We need to hear more about the everyday hero's that are around us and often get overlooked in search of the next sensationalist news story.

and as for fabricated, every trophy game started somewhere.  Think that everyone as in favor of everyone old pig bucket golden shoe game trophy the first time it was presented.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

1620 just said that there are over 9000 tickets for sale for this weekend's big 10 championship.  Going for as little as $18.  That doesn't include ebay or any of the other outlets.
Last edited by Brad on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Big 10 Championship?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:Big 10 Championship?
Yes, thanks.  I fixed it now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Carl Pelini to FAU?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Coyote wrote:Carl Pelini to FAU?
Uhhh, what? Can you at least provide some basis behind that?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

S33 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Carl Pelini to FAU?
Uhhh, what? Can you at least provide some basis behind that?
It sounds done.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ing-source
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nebraska playing uSC Jan. 2 in the Capitol One Bowl.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Playing the OBC one more time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Someone put Nebraska Defensive Coordinator 2011- on Mike Stoops's Facebook page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Stoops
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Happened to see that former NU running back Roy Helu has had 3 consecutive 100 yard games.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Uffda wrote:Happened to see that former NU running back Roy Helu has had 3 consecutive 100 yard games.
Did I hear correct that this was a Rookie record also?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Looks like the cops found Mike Caputo taking a short siesta inside his truck at his local 7 Eleven with a blood alcohol content of .103. Not too shabby  :lol:

http://www.ketv.com/husker-football-ext ... etail.html