Good grief... let's double/triple up on arena football now

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Good grief... let's double/triple up on arena football now

Post by eomaha »

At least they're not waffling like the 'River City' Lancers ... and are going right after the 'Iowa' following. :)
Omaha World Herald wrote: Indoor football's Blackhawks to play at Mid-America Center

They're not sure how many games they'll play, or even how many teams will be in the league, but the Iowa Blackhawks are ready for another season of indoor football.

Team officials announced Wednesday that the Blackhawks will play five home games at the Mid-America Center in the fledgling American Professional Football League. Last year the Blackhawks played just one home game in Council Bluffs to test fan interest in APFL-style football.

Who the Blackhawks will play in Council Bluffs and when they'll play them hasn't been determined. General Manager Jake Hiffernan said he expects his team to play three or four road games before a home game some time in May.

Hiffernan also said the Blackhawks are one of four teams signed to play a full 2005 season, along with the Nebraska Bears, Kansas Coyotes and Missouri Minutemen. Teams also may sprout up in Olathe, Kan., and Wichita, Kan., before the season is scheduled to kick off.

The Bears have previously announced they will play their home games at the Qwest Center Omaha.

Team officials said they hoped to have a 10- or 11-game season before a to-be-determined postseason tournament. Officials also weren't clear about how often each team would play other APFL teams.

Hiffernan also introduced Mike Wolff as the Blackhawks' new head coach. A tryout is scheduled for Jan. 29 at the Mid-America Center, and Hiffernan said those who make the team are paid $50 per game "at the discretion of the club."

For more information on the tryout, Hiffernan can be reached at (712) 366-9326.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Those cousins from Cansas don't know how to spell! Image

OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Wow first we get 3 hockey teams, now 2 indoor football teams. Jeese lets give Council Bluffs another minor leauge baseball team, just to even it out.
Last edited by OmahaDevelopmentMan on Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

This is rediculous. I didn't think just one indoor football team had the chance of surviving here, but three? Who actually watches those games?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Where did these 5 teams come from? The only ones I can think of are the Beef, CB's Blackhawks, and the Bears who I heard of recently. What are the others?
DTO
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

why dont they just take all combined effort to run 3 (or 5?) minor teams and get one pro afl team
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Sorry, I ment to say 3 hockey teams and 3 football teams. I must not have thought about what I was typing.