Nebraska Basketball 2011-2012

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

S33 wrote:Put it this way, it doesn't do anything for Nebraska, they still suck and got lucky against a top rated opponent who overlooked them. The only team this affects is Indiana, who will drop in the rankings and should be super embarrassed.

To say Indiana overlooked them is not giving credit where it is due.  I was there last night as for most home games.  They have played some awful BB this year and beyond.  Last Night Ind played a solid game.  Was it there best, or course not they lost.  But they far from laid an egg.  The Huskers play felt difforent last night.  I got a text at about the 10 min mark lst night when were were down + 10 and it could have easly slipped to a 25 point loss saying "here it goes again"  My reply at that point was " we have been here before and it gets out of hand but tonight just feels difforent.  That was my take even when the  game looked to be out orf reach.  Not sure what to put my finger on but they never rolled over and played better as the game progressed. I am by no means am Doc apologest, it is time for a change.  The point about this making it more likly that he says is accurate.  To say that Indiana gave it aways takes away from what the guys did on the court last night.  Sure it may be a one game wonder but we will see.  I think more wins are going to be hard to come by but I will be there supporting them at the games or from afare.  I hope they prove me and may others wrong and come up with some more great wins but only time will tell.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Yes, it was a great win. But without consistency, they have nothing. I still think Doc needs to go.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

S33 wrote:Yes, it was a great win. But without consistency, they have nothing. I still think Doc needs to go.
Nothing there I don't agree with. Just hate to see the guys on the floor not get the credit they deserve when they sure get the criticism when it goes the other way (from myself included).
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

10 PF, 10 TO, 25% FG, 11% 3pt and 20 pts at the half. Only down 16. Doc Sadler makes me miss the days of Collier.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

9 field goals and 19 turnovers right now. If you paid for a ticket to this you are a dolt.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ThatGuy wrote:9 field goals and 19 turnovers right now. If you paid for a ticket to this you are a dolt.

really,  I have season tickets and I will be there to support the players and the school.  I don't have to like what is going on.  Is that somehow worse that a bandwagon fan that only follows a team in good times?  I resent the implication that because I choose to support the school I am one of your so called DOLTS
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebugeater wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:9 field goals and 19 turnovers right now. If you paid for a ticket to this you are a dolt.

really,  I have season tickets and I will be there to support the players and the school.  I don't have to like what is going on.  Is that somehow worse that a bandwagon fan that only follows a team in good times?  I resent the implication that because I choose to support the school I am one of your so called DOLTS
I'm a huge fan too and will be at the games no matter what but for the first time I am actually hoping the team loses its remaining games to ensure Doc gets fired.  I love Doc and thought he could get it done this year but it's become painfully clear it's not going to work.  And besides the product you see on the court our recruiting class is atrocious.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:

I'm with you.  Was not able to make last nights game but will be going down for several more before the end of the season.  That was ugly but my support for NU and NU basketball never wavers.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Just beat Iowa in Iowa City 79-73, that is no typo they actually scored that much.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

First Big Ten road win, and no longer in the cellar.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

..... and Iowa had an 11 point lead in the second 1/2
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nebraska scored on 16 of 17 possessions during a stretch in the 2nd half.  That is UNREAL for any team let alone this Nebraska team.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Nice win in Iowa City.  Enjoyed watching.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

For those interested there are some $5 Hy Vee tickets available for next Sunday's game at 12 against Minnesota.  The game is early enough to go down to Lincoln and get back with time to spare for the Super Bowl.  I'm taking the whole family.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lost to Northwestern.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Did I read right ... Nebraska and Northwestern are the ONLY two major conference schools which haven't won a game in the NCAA tourney.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Stargazer wrote:Did I read right ... Nebraska and Northwestern are the ONLY two major conference schools which haven't won a game in the NCAA tourney.
Yes.

Northwestern has never even been in the tournament.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:Did I read right ... Nebraska and Northwestern are the ONLY two major conference schools which haven't won a game in the NCAA tourney.

There is one more that has never won a NCAA tourney game but who it is slips my mind right now.  The wild card on the "other" team is that they have not played D1 for nearly as many years.

EDIT:  The third team to not win is South Florida
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Yet another bad loss to Minn today.   Here are a few pics.

Huskers vs Minn Basketball 150 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Huskers vs Minn Basketball 109 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Must have been a hug because there was no whistle

Huskers vs Minn Basketball 210 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Huskers vs Minn Basketball 215 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Huskers vs Minn Basketball 143 by nebugeater, on Flickr
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nice pics Nebugeater!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

It's pretty sad how close NU has been in a number of conference games this season... not been able to finish.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Here is Lee Barfknecht's take on the Husker Mens Basketball program being stuck in a six year cycle. Will the end of the season complete this cycle?

From Today's OWH
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120206/B ... ba-collier

Some Highlights ( or lowlights if you will)

Read it all and it covers much of the same that is being talked about by those that are still talking about Husker BB.
Nebraska's original version of "The Six-Season Itch" starred Bob Devaney and Moe Iba in 1986. The remake involved Steve Pederson and Barry Collier in 2006.
The question now is whether the third picture in this series — with Tom Osborne and Doc Sadler in the main roles — is set for release soon.
Nebraska (11-11, 3-8 ) lost at home to Minnesota, the ninth-place team in the Big Ten which played without its injured star. The Huskers are one game out of last place with what Sadler said before the season was his best team.
Currently, it takes little effort to tie in story lines from the Iba and Collier days to Sadler's six seasons — lack of star power, low-scoring games, in-state talent going elsewhere (Mike Gesell to Iowa) and dwindling fan interest.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Why are Kevin and Mike'l talking Altman to Nebraska?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:Why are Kevin and Mike'l talking Altman to Nebraska?
Stirring the pot.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

No need to worry about that horrible loss last night guys, Doc said he was proud of the players!  

We have got to make a coaching change.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Linkin5 wrote:No need to worry about that horrible loss last night guys, Doc said he was proud of the players!  

We have got to make a coaching change.
To be clear on what he said he was very specific that he was proud of how they played on D but very disappointed with the O play.  I believe 100% it is time for a change but lets be accurate on what he said.  He was very critical of a lot of aspects of the game and of his performance.  I listed to the complete coaches comments as I was driving home from the game.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The fundamental problems with college basketball:

1. The home court advantage is huge (75% odds that the home team wins), so no good team wants to travel during non-conference games, thus teams like Creighton travel all over because to play good teams, they have to give them home and home deals where their opponents get both home games.   Teams like NU can't get better because they can't travel enough to build their recruiting base and without some big opponent home games, they can't even stunt cast at home in hopes of getting one big crowd and showing off what they have.  

2.  There are simply too many basketball teams for the available talent.   Between the NBA, and other lesser pro leagues, and D1, D2, D3, and NAIA, there are simply too  many games.   Look at the TV schedule, any night of the week, you have some bball game on the schedule and most of them don't mean anything, even to the schools/teams involved.

3.  The  good players go pro early, and the remaining players can't hold the interest of people saturated with BBall options so places like NU have a hard time ever getting bigger crowds.  No crowds make recruiting top tier talent hard.

Nebraska can get good at a sport like Track and put itself on the map back in the 1970s and stay a contender till now.   There are just not that many track teams and so each meet means something, and Nebraska can recruit good players on a consistent basis.  

Football is too expensive for a lot of places to support and so the few teams that are  around, can attract enough good players to be at least good enough to make the "any team can beat any other on any given Saturday" line not seem like a joke.   In BBall, you can't speak that line without cracking up.   There are dozens of teams that suck hard and will lose to any number of better teams on any given day (no need to wait till Saturday).   If the NCAA would quit subsidizing these universities with the March Madness money, we would see fewer bottom feeder teams,  and if conferences would let schools in without a full list of teams, then schools like NU could cut BBall, and invest its money into a men's sport that would be competitive and watchable.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'd be happy if we could just play in the middle of the Big 10.

I can't remember exactly how he put it... but Doc said something to the effect of... the new conference requiring more on the offensive side of the ball than what we had at Nebraska... like some how we were suffering from being too Big 12 oriented or something.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

bigredmed wrote:The fundamental problems with college basketball:
1) Anyone with talent is in the NBA already.

2) Basketball sucks.

3) Erin Andrews isn't required to wear a tank top.
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Huskers lose on the road at Penn St today 67 - 51   The slide to hopeless play has taken on its own life.  If there is not a change at the of the season I will be shocked.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

nebugeater wrote: If there is not a change at the [end] of the season I will be shocked.
Me too, but I have been killing it betting against Nebraska this year. So, I'm OK with Doc sticking around forever.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

He has to be gone at the end of the year.

He gave up and his players gave up.

If Doc returns next season they may as well move their home games to the Pershing.  That is all the seating they will need.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:He has to be gone at the end of the year.

He gave up and his players gave up.

If Doc returns next season they may as well move their home games to the Pershing.  That is all the seating they will need.
This season and decade is an embarrassment.  I really don't have much faith in TO hiring a good coach either.  Doc has proven to be a great coach but horrible recruiter.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think he's gone.  I bet TO will lean on Boehm and hire a search firm for the next coach..

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Greg S wrote:I think he's gone.  I bet TO will lean on Boehm and hire a search firm for the next coach..

Greg
Good god I hope he does not lean on Boehm.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Linkin5 wrote:
Doc has proven to be a great coach but horrible recruiter.
I don't know what has lead you to believe he is a great coach, but that is laughable.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Husker Women are wrecking teams in their first B1G Tournament.  They are the 6th seeded team in the tournament and have won their games 88-56, 80-68 and 77-62.

Championship game tomorrow vs. Purdue.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Game on ESPN2 @ 3 PM cent if you want to watch.  I watch most of the Ohio St game on Sat.  The Husker woman were down by 13 I believe with 7 Min left in the first half.  The switch flipped and they were up 6 or 8 and half and were up by 20 or so for most of the second half.  I only with the men's team played with as much passion.  
iamjacobm wrote:Husker Women are wrecking teams in their first B1G Tournament.  They are the 6th seeded team in the tournament and have won their games 88-56, 80-68 and 77-62.

Championship game tomorrow vs. Purdue.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:
Greg S wrote:I think he's gone.  I bet TO will lean on Boehm and hire a search firm for the next coach..

Greg
Good god I hope he does not lean on Boehm.
Pathetic first half, NU is getting hammered by the ESPN announcers. Dale Webber seems to be available now.