Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Press Conference at 3:30

To address future of NU BB.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Multiple reports that he is gone.  Even mentioned by ESPN announcers during the Wisconsin-Indiana game right now.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

OWH reports that Sadler is out.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Thursday...
Doc/OWH wrote:I truly expect to fulfill this contract.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Wish he could have made it work.  Very sad when he spoke at the press conference.

Sounds like NU is going to open the checkbook on the hire.  I'm really hoping it's not Dana Altman.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I want John Groce but we'll see who they hire.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

John Groce, Ohio
Ben Howland, UCLA
Gregg Marshall, Wichita State
Tim Miles, Colorado State
Shaka Smart, VCU

Doc Sadler to SMU
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

If Gregg Marshall comes to Nebraska I will would be, um, shocked.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Husker fans throwing out Buzz Williams from Marquette?  What kind of stuff are they smoking?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Husker fans throwing out Buzz Williams from Marquette?  What kind of stuff are they smoking?
I don't think it will be Williams, but I do remember people thinking Husker fans were nuts when they suggested NU to the Big 10.  The anti-Husker fans came up with all sorts of reasons why NU to the B1G was not going to happen....

Greg
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Greg S wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Husker fans throwing out Buzz Williams from Marquette?  What kind of stuff are they smoking?
I don't think it will be Williams, but I do remember people thinking Husker fans were nuts when they suggested NU to the Big 10.  The anti-Husker fans came up with all sorts of reasons why NU to the B1G was not going to happen....

Greg
My point was more that Marquette is a 1,000,000,000,0000x better job than Nebraska...besides the fact that he is one of the highest paid coaches in the country.  That wouldn't be a step down, that would be a jump off of a cliff.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Greg
My point was more that Marquette is a 1,000,000,000,0000x better job than Nebraska...besides the fact that he is one of the highest paid coaches in the country.  That wouldn't be a step down, that would be a jump off of a cliff.
Cool post, bro.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Linkin5 wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Greg
Cool post, bro.
?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sounds like Tim Miles of CSU is the guy.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Nice to see he has a good recruiter on staff with connections.

Greg
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

So, Tim Miles is the "high-profile" purchase? This should be interesting. I think it's safe to say that NU athletics will be "meh", at best, for years to come.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

S33 wrote:So, Tim Miles is the "high-profile" purchase? This should be interesting. I think it's safe to say that NU athletics will be "meh", at best, for years to come.
He isn't "high profile," but he seems like a good hire.  He has built a winner at all his other stops, knows the region and is entirely excited for the job.

He will also be great with the media funny honest guy and uses multimedia to connect with the fans, even tweeting durning halftime.

Nebraska basketball takes a different breed and Miles seems like a great give to give the reins to right now.  I am really excited to see what he can do here!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I hope this hire pans out, I think it will have a lot to do with Miles's ability to bring Coleman over.  He's got strong Chicago AAU ties and could be a difference maker.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:I hope this hire pans out, I think it will have a lot to do with Miles's ability to bring Coleman over.  He's got strong Chicago AAU ties and could be a difference maker.
Thats a done deal.  Coleman is coming.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I hope this hire pans out, I think it will have a lot to do with Miles's ability to bring Coleman over.  He's got strong Chicago AAU ties and could be a difference maker.
Thats a done deal.  Coleman is coming.
Nice!  Just saw this news.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

lol - well thank god he tweets during halftime! I do hope he does well, though. I just find what he's done so far a bit of a stretch to assume it will translate into wins on a Big Ten level, but who knows.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

S33 wrote:I just find what he's done so far a bit of a stretch to assume it will translate into wins on a Big Ten level, but who knows.
I'm hoping the rationale is that he has a track record of taking absolute nothing programs to a certain level of respectability.  It's not like he's piling up 20 win seasons anywhere.

Right now, I think the only realistic expectation for him is turning the program into a place a hot commodity coach might actually consider in the next ten years.

Best of luck, Timmy.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Not piling up 20 win seasons... but bringing teams from losing to 20 wins in relatively short time, and this season beating some pretty decent competition along the way.

Becoming a middle of the pack Big 10 team... getting back to NIT... then NCAA, maybe even winning that first game... that's all I would ask for at this point... maybe recruiting a future NBA player that will help us get there.

He's without doubt the nerdiest coach out there... they won't see us coming.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

S33 wrote:lol - well thank god he tweets during halftime! I do hope he does well, though. I just find what he's done so far a bit of a stretch to assume it will translate into wins on a Big Ten level, but who knows.
I was just trying to say he is a break from the mold of the past coaches.  He can connect with the fans better than the past two coaches and probably better than any other coach at UNL right now, that will be a big help to getting people in the seats.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Actually I thought Doc was about as personable a coach as you could get.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Stargazer wrote:Actually I thought Doc was about as personable a coach as you could get.
He is a really nice guy.  I never was really drawn to his personality though.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah I really liked Doc.  Wish it could have worked here for him.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Doc ends up as an assistant at Iowa State.