Stanley Cup

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Stanley Cup

Post by Coyote »

So Boston wins it.

You get an evening with the cup -- what would you do?

BigE = The Vagavulin Cup
Big E
City Council

Re: Stanley Cup

Post by Big E »

Coyote wrote:So Boston wins it.

You get an evening with the cup -- what would you do?

BigE = The Vagavulin Cup
Lagavulin, dammit.  Lagavulin.
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just announced on ESPN, now that the Bruins have the cup, Celtics won a few years ago, as with the Red Sox, the NE Pats are now the longest lacking Championship team in the city! Go figure.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Did Vancouver not get the memo that you are supposed to riot when you win a championship?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I think it's safe to say that Boston is America's best sports city. Sorry New Yorkers.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S33 wrote:I think it's safe to say that Boston is America's best sports city. Sorry New Yorkers.
No doubt.  The professional team there with the longest championship drought are the Patriots.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:Did Vancouver not get the memo that you are supposed to riot when you win a championship?
That is just Vancouver's thing.  They did it in the 90s when they lost the cup too.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E, with all the damage they caused, does this mean they are 5.6 billion in debt now? heee....heee...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I don't pay any attention to the NHL.  I figured they were rioting because I wasn't subsidizing their kids' education or their home mortgages.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:I don't pay any attention to the NHL.  I figured they were rioting because I wasn't subsidizing their kids' education or their home mortgages.
Actually, in Canada, you do both. They even had a nice little mortgage bailout in '08   :;):

One thing I will never understand is why so many Americans think Canada has their |expletive| together - they really don't. They have a population of 33 million, but on scale, their problems mirror ours. Grass is greener perception I think.

Oh yeah, they also print excess currency - just like us!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

S33 wrote:
Big E wrote:I don't pay any attention to the NHL.  I figured they were rioting because I wasn't subsidizing their kids' education or their home mortgages.
Actually, in Canada, you do both. They even had a nice little mortgage bailout in '08   :;):

One thing I will never understand is why so many Americans think Canada has their |expletive| together - they really don't. They have a population of 33 million, but on scale, their problems mirror ours. Grass is greener perception I think.

Oh yeah, they also print excess currency - just like us!

On thing Canada has over us is that it's cleaner.  Been to several cities there and can't believe how little litter there is.  I also think they have much less gun crime up there.

Greg
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

S33 wrote:I think it's safe to say that Boston is America's best sports city. Sorry New Yorkers.
With probably the worst fans, Philly excepted. What's funny is they will still have a little brother complex when it comes to New York.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

OmahaBen wrote:
With probably the worst fans, Philly excepted. What's funny is they will still have a little brother complex when it comes to New York.
A significantly more frugal, cleaner, better educated little brother, mind you. :;):  Having lived in Boston for only four years, it seems that it all stems from New York attempting to impose its unequivocal greatness--in every way possible, regardless of reality--over everyone else.  Ironically the two cities you cited as having the worst fans are also the two closest to New York.  You know what they say... you can always tell how someone is feeling by how you feel after spending time with them.  Likewise, you can tell how shitty New York really is by how much Philadelphia and Boston suffer from being so close to it. :lol:
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

omaja wrote:
OmahaBen wrote:
A significantly more frugal, cleaner, better educated little brother, mind you. :;):  Having lived in Boston for only four years, it seems that it all stems from New York attempting to impose its unequivocal greatness--in every way possible, regardless of reality--over everyone else.  Ironically the two cities you cited as having the worst fans are also the two closest to New York.  You know what they say... you can always tell how someone is feeling by how you feel after spending time with them.  Likewise, you can tell how |expletive| New York really is by how much Philadelphia and Boston suffer from being so close to it. :lol:
So you're saying that when Kansans and Iowans (and Creighton and UNO fans) |expletive| about Nebraska football - it's actually an indictment of Nebraska fans? Good to know.

I like Boston as a city. I love Fenway Park (though not as much as Wrigley). But whenever you have fans chanting "Yankees suck" at a hockey game against Toronto in January, you know you've got issues.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Not at all.  I don't think you can really compare the Boston-New York relationship to many others (maybe Dallas-Houston or LA-San Francisco?).  I'm not excusing the way Boston fans sometimes behave, just offering an explanation for it.  When you see Boston fans lashing out at New York in an unrelated victory, it is really returning the favor for all of the belittling New Yorkers constantly throw Boston's way, sports-related or not.  To outsiders it might be seen as having issues, and it certainly isn't very classy behavior, but I find it hard to fault any instance where people can dish back a little of that arrogance New York loves to flaunt.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Linkin5 wrote:No doubt.  The professional team there with the longest championship drought are the Patriots.
I think that changes this year, FYI. Patriots are my pick to win the Super Bowl.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bosco55David wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:No doubt.  The professional team there with the longest championship drought are the Patriots.
I think that changes this year, FYI. Patriots are my pick to win the Super Bowl.
bowl.
I assume you meant Patriots west are your pick to win the Super.   :)
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

iamjacobm wrote:I assume you meant Patriots west are your pick to win the Super.   :)
Sadly, we lost that title when we dumped Josh. While the Broncos are a much better team than their 2010 record, they're still a bit off from realistically competing for the Super Bowl.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bosco55David wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I assume you meant Patriots west are your pick to win the Super.   :)
Sadly, we lost that title when we dumped Josh. While the Broncos are a much better team than their 2010 record, they're still a bit off from realistically competing for the Super Bowl.
I have always heard the Chiefs called that never the Broncos.  That was where I was hinting at.  Poor attempt at being clever on my part I guess.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
I have always heard the Chiefs called that never the Broncos.  That was where I was hinting at.  Poor attempt at being clever on my part I guess.
I as well Jacob, with Cassel, Romeo Crennel at D cord, Scott Pioli as GM, and Charlie Weiss being O cordinator (now florida gator) they have some strange connections to Patriots.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

iamjacobm wrote:I have always heard the Chiefs called that never the Broncos.  That was where I was hinting at.  Poor attempt at being clever on my part I guess.
I saw it used more on the Broncos because Josh was the one assistant that Belichick had given the most power to and as a result Josh basically emulated everything Belichick did in New England. Then again maybe my perception was skewed because of how big of a deal some Bronco fans made of it.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Thread revival. Andre Sustr is actively playing for Tampa Bay. If they win, it will be two former UNO players to hoist the cup and the first active duty player.

Go Tampa Bay!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They mention Sustr coming from UNO and playing for Dean Blais on almost every broadcast of Tampa. I remember the NHL crew, including Doc Emrick and Pierre Laguire broadcasting a came a couple years ago here when the NHL was on a work stoppage.

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Greg S wrote:They mention Sustr coming from UNO and playing for Dean Blais on almost every broadcast of Tampa.
Then for the recruiting bump, we want him to play in every game and have a great series.