Nebraska Baseball 2012

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, well you know... with it being Iowa and all.  It does seem as though Northwestern has our athletic competition number in general, doesn't it? (football, volleyball, now baseball... it's as if they take offense to another NU entering the conference)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

Post by Huskerbaseball13 »

For Nebraska to get back to where it belongs they have to be able to take the series against bad teams like Creighton, Northwestern, Iowa etc.....

Certainly continues to be a work in progress.  Right now we look like a team that is very solid, or a team that has their head in the clouds.  That will change over time with what Erstad preaches.  I really like some of the kids they are bringing in this program.  First they need to solidify the starting rotation for the future as thats what we are lacking right now.  Aaron Bummer is a friday night guy and has great stuff, hopefully he will be ready by next year.  If Nebraska wants a chance at an at large they need to win the next two series.  Hopefully they don't have a letdown tonight against a bad Creighton team.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Given Nebraska Baseball's recent track record, I kinda giggle at the notion any fan or person affiliated with the program referring to them as a "bad" team.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

S33 wrote:Given Nebraska Baseball's recent track record, I kinda giggle at the notion any fan or person affiliated with the program referring to them as a "bad" team.
Who is them?  Creighton?  Kind of hard to argue that they AREN'T a bad team this year.  That's certainly not the case every single year...but this year they are struggling.  As for Northwestern and Iowa...they appear to field bad teams every single year.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Huskerbaseball13 wrote:
S33 wrote:Given Nebraska Baseball's recent track record, I kinda giggle at the notion any fan or person affiliated with the program referring to them as a "bad" team.
Who is them?  Creighton?  Kind of hard to argue that they AREN'T a bad team this year.  That's certainly not the case every single year...but this year they are struggling.  As for Northwestern and Iowa...they appear to field bad teams every single year.
Don't know if he was talking about CU but that is a backhanded slap to include CU with Iowa and NU. But yes this has been a nightmare year on the hilltop, if you are talking this season I agree, if you are talking all around program we have a problem here.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Yeah, I was meaning Creighton. Nebraska isn't exactly routing their opponents this year, either.
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Huskerbaseball13 wrote:
I assume many of us would appreciate it if this forum did not become a smack board. Doing it on your own teams site is one thing but that is not what this site is for in my opinion. Emphasizing that Creighton is a "bad" team 3 times is fishing for a reaction and like i said, for another type of board. Cheer for what ever team you want but lets keep the trolling off of here.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

blueblood wrote:
Huskerbaseball13 wrote:
I assume many of us would appreciate it if this forum did not become a smack board. Doing it on your own teams site is one thing but that is not what this site is for in my opinion. Emphasizing that Creighton is a "bad" team 3 times is fishing for a reaction and like i said, for another type of board. Cheer for what ever team you want but lets keep the trolling off of here.
It's not a troll when its the truth.  You can take it however you like though.  This year, if Nebraska were to lose to Creighton it would be considered a bad loss.  As will Northwestern.  In the past, and in some future years Creighton could very well be considered a good win.  But not this year.  In would be good for both programs down the road if both are in position to get a bid.  Nebraska is still not very consistent, some games they look like a team that could do some damage in a regional...other games they look like the Kearney would give them a run for their money.  Would not surprise me if Creighton swept Nebraska....and it wouldnt surprise me if Nebraska swept Creighton.  But unfortunately this year...due to Creightons resume Nebraska has to ATLEAST take 2 or it will be just another bad loss on the record.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

S33 wrote:Yeah, I was meaning Creighton. Nebraska isn't exactly routing their opponents this year, either.
I never said Nebraska was.  Nebraska still is a work in progress...I don't think anyone expected Nebraska to be world beaters again right away.  I do like this coaching staff alot though and what they have done.  With that said, it doesnt matter if Nebraska is routing their opponents....Nebraska is a bubble team right now.  Creighton has zero chances of reaching a regional outside of winning the Mo Valley.  A win tonight really doesn't do much for Nebraska besides holding our RPI in place....a loss does far more damage.  Like I said in the other post...that's not always the case, nor will it be....I'm hoping and expecting down the road Creighton will be another opponent that will help Nebraska's RPI.  But not this year.  Unless Nebraska goes on a tear in the Big 10..if Nebraska were to lose 2 or 3 games to Creighton it be damaging to our resume at the end of the year.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Huskerbaseball13 wrote:
S33 wrote:Yeah, I was meaning Creighton. Nebraska isn't exactly routing their opponents this year, either.
I never said Nebraska was.  Nebraska still is a work in progress...I don't think anyone expected Nebraska to be world beaters again right away.  I do like this coaching staff alot though and what they have done.  With that said, it doesnt matter if Nebraska is routing their opponents....Nebraska is a bubble team right now.  Creighton has zero chances of reaching a regional outside of winning the Mo Valley.  A win tonight really doesn't do much for Nebraska besides holding our RPI in place....a loss does far more damage.  Like I said in the other post...that's not always the case, nor will it be....I'm hoping and expecting down the road Creighton will be another opponent that will help Nebraska's RPI.  But not this year.  Unless Nebraska goes on a tear in the Big 10..if Nebraska were to lose 2 or 3 games to Creighton it be damaging to our resume at the end of the year.
Im sorry but did you just say UNL was a bubble team?

Oh a monkey just flew by my window.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The Northwestern series loss was bad.  Nice to see NU win again last night though.  Glad to watch it on the BTN.  Erstad and his staff have a lot of work to do.

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Nebraska was a potential bubble team until they lost to Northwestern.  Now they are well off that, and the only way to change that is to start sweeping series both at home and on the road...and even that might not be enough with a Big Ten schedule.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

cp jay 07 wrote:
Huskerbaseball13 wrote:
Im sorry but did you just say UNL was a bubble team?

Oh a monkey just flew by my window.
Perfectgame has Nebraska as one of the last 10 teams out before the Creighton WIN......which unfortunately does nothing to help our resume.  Nebraska still has a chance to play itself in to a regional....considering that, I'd most certainly consider them a bubble team.  Of course, they have to take care of business and win the next two series.  Our non-con was designed for Big 12 play so there is not much wiggle room which is exactly why I said Nebraska needed to take care of bad teams like Creighton, NW, and Iowa who all have very poor records and RPI's.  I don't anticipate Nebraska getting an at-large because I just don't see them getting hot enough with the starting pitching....but that doesn't mean they arent a bubble team right now. If Nebraska can finish in the top 2 of the Big 10 they will be in the thick of things.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

You know your 77 RPI is 4th best in the Big 10 which has been a 1 bid league the past two seasons. In comparison 77 is also the 4th best RPI in the MVC which is also ranked 6 spots higher in the RPI. So by your logic both the Big 10 and MVC has 8 teams on the Bubble?

Losing a series to NW is a bubble killer.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

cp jay 07 wrote:You know your 77 RPI is 4th best in the Big 10 which has been a 1 bid league the past two seasons. In comparison 77 is also the 4th best RPI in the MVC which is also ranked 6 spots higher in the RPI. So by your logic both the Big 10 and MVC has 8 teams on the Bubble?

Losing a series to NW is a bubble killer.
RPI is not the only thing the NCAA looks at.  If Nebraska can finish in the top 60 of the RPI(they will need to win the next two weekend series to do so)...they will have a shot at an at-large.  In the end...I don't think it will happen due to the non conference.....but for you to say Nebraska is not a bubble team right now is wrong.  Hopefully they can win the Big 10 tourny and it will be a moot point.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

See this is where I think UNL baseball fans will have to get used to a new way of thinking cause if you are in the Big 12 right now with this record you are in/ last 4 out. This record in the Big 10 though is try to win a few to get on the bubble.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

As Mike said earlier, that Northwestern series loss knocked Nebraska off the bubble.  I do agree with others that I really like this new coaching staff.  

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

As a Nebraska baseball fan that attends many games every year my view on the reality of things is that the Huskers ARE NOT a bubble team right now.  With a strong finish of winning every series and sweeping one or two they MIGHT be.  My reality is though that this will not happen this year.  They are still relearning how to win.  A long with that a first time head coach, even with all his experience, is learning.  They have the potential of winning the Big 10 Tourny and that is there only sure way in. The hidden wild card in this, and I have stated it before other places, is Will Bolt.    I really think WB is the perfect complement to DE as head coach.  IT is like having two HC's on staff.  WB is coaching third when we are at the plate and he is on fire many times.  

I really like this staff.  There is progress as I see it this year already.  The future is bright.  Sure the Big 10 is a big roadblock to getting to where the Huskers were but it also gives them a change to dominate in future years and bring this conf along in BB.  The schedule this year doesn't set up a good RPI with out of Conf Help but if you believe what is being said about how they will schedule in the future that will be improved.  We need better pitching no doubt.  It will come by coaching and recruiting and it can be done without those ALL STARS.  

This team has a lot of opportunity to make a statement this year yet.  Lets see what happens on the road at OSU and at home against Purdue the next two weeks.  It would be great for them to make a regional this year but I will not be upset if they do not.  Disappointed, yes but not upset.  There is a lot of youth on this team and they are improving as the season goes on.  That cannot be said about the teams fielded the last 3 or 4 years.  

As for the Jays / Huskers debate.  Get over it.  Baseball in Nebraska is better when both teams are successful.  This year Nebraska is the better team on paper.  The last couple year it has probably been the Jays.  Problem is best team on paper doesn't always win, it is baseball.  GO Huskers, and GO Jays in every game except three!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Good series win over OSU... win over Purdue and they'll be looking pretty good.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

nebugeater wrote:As a Nebraska baseball fan that attends many games every year my view on the reality of things is that the Huskers ARE NOT a bubble team right now.  With a strong finish of winning every series and sweeping one or two they MIGHT be.  My reality is though that this will not happen this year.  They are still relearning how to win.  A long with that a first time head coach, even with all his experience, is learning.  They have the potential of winning the Big 10 Tourny and that is there only sure way in. The hidden wild card in this, and I have stated it before other places, is Will Bolt.    I really think WB is the perfect complement to DE as head coach.  IT is like having two HC's on staff.  WB is coaching third when we are at the plate and he is on fire many times.  

I really like this staff.  There is progress as I see it this year already.  The future is bright.  Sure the Big 10 is a big roadblock to getting to where the Huskers were but it also gives them a change to dominate in future years and bring this conf along in BB.  The schedule this year doesn't set up a good RPI with out of Conf Help but if you believe what is being said about how they will schedule in the future that will be improved.  We need better pitching no doubt.  It will come by coaching and recruiting and it can be done without those ALL STARS.  

This team has a lot of opportunity to make a statement this year yet.  Lets see what happens on the road at OSU and at home against Purdue the next two weeks.  It would be great for them to make a regional this year but I will not be upset if they do not.  Disappointed, yes but not upset.  There is a lot of youth on this team and they are improving as the season goes on.  That cannot be said about the teams fielded the last 3 or 4 years.  

As for the Jays / Huskers debate.  Get over it.  Baseball in Nebraska is better when both teams are successful.  This year Nebraska is the better team on paper.  The last couple year it has probably been the Jays.  Problem is best team on paper doesn't always win, it is baseball.  GO Huskers, and GO Jays in every game except three!
Both SEbaseball and Perfectgame has Nebraska in their next 10 out.  Hard to argue Nebraska ISN'T a bubble team when they keep popping up on everyone's radar to receive an at-large.  In reality, Nebraska will have to take the Purdue series weekend to keep that going.  Big series.  It's unfortunate our non-con schedule was geared towards us playing in the Big 12 this year as if we would have beefed up the non-con schedule a bit we would be sitting pretty to receive an at-large.  Would just be icing on the cake if this team could reach a regional because with the young talent on the roster and the recruiting success our coaches are having we will be set up to be a very good team in a year or two.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

A few Photos from the Sunday game against Purdue

Husker Baseball vs Purdue 0192 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Husker Baseball vs Purdue 0129 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Husker Baseball vs Purdue 0113 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Husker Baseball vs Purdue 0137 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Husker Baseball vs Purdue 0142 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Husker Baseball vs Purdue 0149 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Husker Baseball vs Purdue 0166 by nebugeater, on Flickr

These, along with more from today have been added to this set on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nebugeater ... 957858480/
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Nice pics!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Would have been nice to have made it to a game.  I'm going to see the Big Red Tuesday night here.  Purdue looks like the real deal.

Greg
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

Greg S wrote:Would have been nice to have made it to a game.  I'm going to see the Big Red Tuesday night here.  Purdue looks like the real deal.

Greg
Beating Purdue Sunday would have gone a long ways.  Unfortunately the Skers couldnt get it done.  Nebraska needs to finish strong and finish second in the Big 10 so they get a bye.  Thus far I think this team has exceeded their expectations.  Really like what this coaching staff has been able to do and with the young talent we have combined with this coaching staff's ability to recruit we could be very good in a year or two.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Pitching is where the Huskers are hurting the most.  It also takes the longest to "fix"  The guy that left the team (name slips me right now) that was set to be the ace after turning down a solid draft slot might have made a difference but who knows.  The Fri losses are killers.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They need to clean up on their mistakes as well.  They can be sloppy at times.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Good to see the crowds still turning out for NU.  Saw they had another 5k yesterday.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Looks like we might get 12-13k for the Nebraska game in Omaha tonight.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Crazy start to the B1G tourney.  NU almost does the impossible comeback in game 1 then blows out PSU in game two.  Erstad has some work to do going forward.  Not dull though now.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:Crazy start to the B1G tourney.  NU almost does the impossible comeback in game 1 then blows out PSU in game two.  Erstad has some work to do going forward.  Not dull though now.

Greg
Have Ohio St. at 11 today and play Michigan St. at 2:30 if they win that one.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Nice to see Purdue will be hosting a regional.  They earned it.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Nice to see Purdue will be hosting a regional.  They earned it.

Greg

hosting but it is 90 miles from their "home" field.  Playing on the nearest minor league park.  I believe they are building a new facility that will be ready next year.  Their current park seats less than 1000.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:
Greg S wrote:Nice to see Purdue will be hosting a regional.  They earned it.

Greg

hosting but it is 90 miles from their "home" field.  Playing on the nearest minor league park.  I believe they are building a new facility that will be ready next year.  Their current park seats less than 1000.

Yeah there are a ton of baseball upgrades going on in the B1G right now.

I think all but 2 of the teams are playing in new or renovated fields right now, or are being built.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Michigan State made it in as well, good for those guys.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That's cool, two teams from the B1G.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Greg S wrote:That's cool, two teams from the B1G.

Greg
Definitely good for the B1G.  The B1G isn't a great baseball conference but it is definitely better than most give it credit for.  

Also congrats to Creighton, what a crazy way to end the year!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah it's nice to see so many of the schools upgrading their baseball facilities.  With the money in that conference they can afford to upgrade their non-revenue sports.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Not trying to start anything but just saw that one of UNL's biggest recruits, that kid from Montana, was drafted fairly high by the Braves.

Now usually this would not be that big of a deal in college baseball and in fact if you consider yourself a big program you expect this, but due to the dumb rules the Big 10 has this could be a huge problem for UNL because not only might they lose their best recruit but they will also lose that scholarship.

Just wanted to get a few Husker fans opinion on this, and after one year of Big 10 baseball what you think. Poor Stadiums, no crowds, double digit RPI etc.

Not trying to start a MVC Big 10 debate just what you guys think.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lose the scholarship for 4 years as I understand the rule.  It really is a dumb rule and handicaps the program.

Some of the schools are actually investing in stadium upgrades, Indiana and Purdue will debut new stadiums next season.  No matter how much the schools invest the conference will continue to be a joke as long as that rule is in place.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:Not trying to start anything but just saw that one of UNL's biggest recruits, that kid from Montana, was drafted fairly high by the Braves.

Now usually this would not be that big of a deal in college baseball and in fact if you consider yourself a big program you expect this, but due to the dumb rules the Big 10 has this could be a huge problem for UNL because not only might they lose their best recruit but they will also lose that scholarship.

Just wanted to get a few Husker fans opinion on this, and after one year of Big 10 baseball what you think. Poor Stadiums, no crowds, double digit RPI etc.

Not trying to start a MVC Big 10 debate just what you guys think.
OK I checked with Jon Nyatawa of the OWH.  The scholarship is not lost.  We can only over sign by 1 in Big 10.  For this scholarship, not even lost for this year,  NU can redistribute those dollars within the roster.

I do wish the B1G had more liberal over signing rules like the other conferences.  Other than that been pleasantly surprised with B1G baseball.  Obviously not as good as the Big 12, but better than expected.  I honestly thought we'd finish first this year.  I was afraid we'd keep Coach Anderson, he easily win the conference then we'd be stuck with him.

It was good to see Purdue host the regional and to have two bids for the conference.  Did not see that coming.

Was also happy to see so many new and upgraded stadiums in the conference.  All but 2 are either new, or remodeled recently, or in the process.  You have to figure that continues with the money that flows into that conference.  

We're spoiled around here on college baseball attendance.  We can't compare NU's crowds to other schools.  I was shocked when I saw how UCLA's stadium compared to Haymarket and how small the attendance was for their regional win over Creighton.

Greg
Last edited by Greg S on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.