College Baseball Conference Tournaments in Omaha

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: College Baseball Conference Tournaments in Omaha

Post by Coyote »

Jays lose to the Regular Season Champs St John's 7-8, I didn't see the attendance though. It will be interesting to see what seed the BEast conference champs get...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I saw on D1baseball that attendance in the box score was listed at 1,866.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Beats the Big 10 tournament final. Only 658 to see Michigan beat Maryland.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Big 10 tournament attendance:

Day 5 attendance 2015: 658
Day 5 attendance 2014: 19,965

Total attendance 2015: 7,384
Total attendance 2014: 62,044

Over 8x more fans at the tournament in Omaha. I think that bodes well for future tournaments being scheduled in Omaha beyond the ones that already are.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Earlier this week, there was a "notes" column in the World-Herald that suggested that the Big East might consider scuttling their conference tournament. The Pac-12 doesn't hold a tournament, they noted, and it's not like it helps anybody get into the tournament. The Big East is a one-bid league no matter who wins the tournament. When you consider the costs of flying three teams into Omaha and housing them here, the tournament is probably a money loser.

Move the Big East conference schedule back a week, and open up another weekend for non-conference games instead. Might be able to improve team's RPI more that way.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:Beats the Big 10 tournament final. Only 658 to see Michigan beat Maryland.

This was easy to see coming. Hopefully this is the final time at Target Field. I would say the same for Big 10 Tourneys in MLB stadiums, but there is a rumor that the Big 10 wants to hold this one of the East Coast MLB stadiums (Camden Yards or Yankee Stadium are the most commonly mentioned).

I'd like to see the Big 10 every year at TD. If that's not an option because of the Big East, then Werner Park is much better than anything else they've had. The Big East would be perfect for Werner as well.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Big 10 announcing on Tuesday upcoming sites:

http://www.kmtv.com/news/local-news/big ... ment-sites

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Big 10 announcing on Tuesday upcoming sites:

http://www.kmtv.com/news/local-news/big ... ment-sites

Greg

Since the news Cof is from TDA I am guessing there is some good news for Omaha :;):
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

My thoughts exactly.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

With the Big Ten Baseball Tournament set to return to Omaha, Neb., in 2016 and 2018, the conference announced an extension for TD Ameritrade Park to serve as the host venue from 2019 through 2022. The 2016 Big Ten Baseball Tournament will be back in the home of the NCAA Division I Men’s College World Series from May 25-29 after setting record attendance numbers in its debut in 2014.

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-basebl/s ... 16aaa.html
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Is the Big East back in Omaha next year (2017) that is the one gap that is not identified for the B1G location now through 2022
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Wondering what happens in 2017? Are they waiting to see if the Big East is going to be in Omaha, or are they planning on doing something on the East Coast?

I'm glad their experiment in MLB stadiums seems to be over. That was destined for failure.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:Is the Big East back in Omaha next year (2017) that is the one gap that is not identified for the B1G location now through 2022
The site of the 2017 Big Ten Baseball Tournament will be announced at a later date.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Posted this in the MECA news thread:
skinzfan23 wrote:Are they going to announce that the tournament is staying for at least 5 years.
I was partially right...I figured if they were in Omaha making the announcement, chances were that it would be more than one year. I am excited for this and for downtown. While it may be hard to replicate those numbers if NU is knocked out one year, I am sure that the numbers would at least be respectable unlike the ones in Minneapolis.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:Posted this in the MECA news thread:
skinzfan23 wrote:Are they going to announce that the tournament is staying for at least 5 years.
I was partially right...I figured if they were in Omaha making the announcement, chances were that it would be more than one year. I am excited for this and for downtown. While it may be hard to replicate those numbers if NU is knocked out one year, I am sure that the numbers would at least be respectable unlike the ones in Minneapolis.
Yeah, will be good to have 8 teams and their support staff in town regularly in May for hotels.

I didn't go two years ago, but I assume they didn't sell alcohol. Any word on if that is going to be allowed considering the CWS is allowing it?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They sold it on the club level 2 years ago.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Ticket sales for this year's tournament:
As of last week, there were 4,875 all-session tickets sold to the conference's 2016 tournament, according to Butch Hug, Nebraska associate athletic director for facilities and events. That's slightly ahead of the 2014 pace to this point — when 4,600 all-session tickets were purchased by the end of April.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Is the Big East back in Omaha next year (2017) that is the one gap that is not identified for the B1G location now through 2022
The site of the 2017 Big Ten Baseball Tournament will be announced at a later date.

That is what prompted the question.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah it was those mentions of 2017 that made me ask. Looks like Shatel has the answers. Big East back in 2017.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/blogs/tom-s ... 8708c.html
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

By the way, according to Shatel's column, the Big Ten Tournament will serve alcohol.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Attendance was way down this year, which was expected, with NE not making it, IA getting eliminated early on and the heat:

'We're just here because it's perfect' — Omaha helps make Big Ten tournament a success despite sparse crowds

The five-day, 13-game event drew 12,404 to TD Ameritrade Park last week, with 1,931 taking in Minnesota’s 6-4 championship win over Purdue on Sunday. Temperatures touched triple digits while the scorching sun prompted most to seek shady perches.

The total is up considerably from the 2017 tourney at Indiana’s home field, where 6,712 endured stormy conditions most of the week. The 2015 event at Target Field in Minneapolis — which Minnesota didn’t qualify for — drew 7,384.

Still, this year’s event fell far short of the two previous times the Big Ten tournament came to Omaha. The 2014 edition brought in 62,044, culminating with a record-setting 19,965 watching the Sunday bout between the Huskers and Kyle Schwarber’s Indiana team. The 2016 tournament drew 33,728 — despite Nebraska’s 0-2 showing — thanks in part to Iowa’s run to the championship that drew a large walk-up crowd totaling 10,350.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah the double hit of no Nebraska and Iowa's quick exit hurt. The bonus is it was still better than Minneapolis and Indian for attendance. I was hoping they'd get to 10k and they did 12k.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Lots of Husker baseball games give Big Ten tournament a major attendance boost

The final crowd for the Huskers and Ohio State was 17,503 — second-best in college baseball this spring.

The five-day total added up to 47,790 in 15 games. That is up from last year’s 12,404, when the Huskers didn’t qualify for the event in Omaha, Iowa was a quick out and there were two fewer games.

But both numbers still dwarfed recent years when the tournament was not at the home of the College World Series. The 2017 edition at Indiana’s home field in Bloomington drew 6,712, and the 2015 version at Target Field in Minneapolis attracted 7,384.

The Big Ten expanded to an eight-team tourney format in 2014, and that inaugural event in Omaha remains the best attended at 62,044 in 13 games. The final between Nebraska and Indiana brought 19,965, the largest single-game conference tournament crowd in NCAA history.