College Baseball Conference Tournaments in Omaha

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: College Baseball Conference Tournaments in Omaha

Post by nebugeater »

First, I know that TDA is the home park for the Jays but why not try and get both tourny's to Omaha at the same time?

Have two Champ games at TDA on Sunday as two separate sessions. Play the early rounds of the B1G at TDA, and even though it is not the home park play the earlier rounds of the Big East at Warner Park. Would have some people bent out of shape but think outside the box and it could work.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Greg S wrote:There was talk on 1620 this week on the Big East not having their baseball tourney going forward.  With it being a one bid league, you have issues like this year, where the best team with the best chance in the tourney (Creighton) is not going.  Throw in the fact there was no interest in the games based on attendance, you wonder.  They certainly are making any money on  it.

Greg
That is a good thought.  The tournament did little to spike any interest.  I think most games had less than 1,000 at them.  And of course, Creighton gets hosed by not winning the thing.
Did they even get 1k at the games? I saw one pic and it looked closer to 100. Did look like a cool ballpark though.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think you are right Greg. I don't think many of the games had more than 100 fans at them.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Just so sad how bad the big east is in baseball. The MVC was almost a 3 bid league this year.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Hosting the 2015 Big East Tournament at TD Ameritrade Park.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Since the Big 10 will be in Minneapolis this year, this is a good get. I think TD will be able to better staff Big East crowds.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Attendence prediction for this tourney? 2,000 total?
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Probably less than 8k (but may get close to that) , as long as Creighton makes the finals (which they should considering how bad Big East baseball is). I think they will get a decent crowd for the finals. It will all be up to Omaha to support this, no one will travel for it. Did they even get 2k this year?

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not sure they got 200 in Brooklyn.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I have to plead ignorant on the Format that the Big East uses for the tourny. How many games / sessions are there? Without knowing that I would hope that they can average over 1000 per session. Omaha and the area can do that If the weather cooperates I would think
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:I have to plead ignorant on the Format that the Big East uses for the tourny.  How many games / sessions are there?  Without knowing that I would hope that they can average over 1000 per session.  Omaha and the area can do that If the weather cooperates I would think
Top 4 teams - not double elimination. Here was this years schedule:
Coyote wrote:2014 BIG EAST Baseball Tournament Schedule

Thursday, May 22
Game 1: No. 1 Creighton vs. No. 4 Xavier – 4 p.m. (BIGEAST.com)
Game 2: No. 2 St. John’s vs. No. 3 Seton Hall – 7 p.m. (BIGEAST.com)

Friday, May 23
Game 3: Game 1 loser vs. Game 2 loser – 4 p.m. (BIGEAST.com)
Game 4: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner – 7 p.m.(BIGEAST.com)

Saturday, May 24
Game 5: Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 loser – 3 p.m. (BIGEAST.com)

Sunday, May 25
Game 6: Game 4 winner vs. Game 5 winner – 1 p.m. (FOX Sports 1)
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Last year was a 4 team tourney but since it will actually be hosted by a school this year, unlike last year where it was just in Brooklyn, I could see them bumping it up to 6 just make sure Creighton gets in. Even though if they need that to qualify in this league things will be very very bad on the Hilltop.

Also it looks like this means the Big 10 and Big East will rotate yearly. Good for Omaha to have a conference tourney every year.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

Post by Huskerbaseball13 »

Jim Delaney is in Omaha this afternoon for an announcement in regards to the Big 10 Baseball Tournament. Did the Big 10 lock up a long term deal in Omaha? NO idea what else it could be.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Huskerbaseball13 wrote:Jim Delaney is in Omaha this afternoon for an announcement in regards to the Big 10 Baseball Tournament.  Did the Big 10 lock up a long term deal in Omaha? NO idea what else it could be.
On the radio they said it was to announce the 2016 Tournament would be in Omaha.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Heard Big 10 is announcing 2016 and 2018 tourney in Omaha. Gonna rotate with the Big EAST (2015,2017,2019) so there will be a conference tourney every year in Omaha. Pretty cool.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Man, talk about growing an even bigger College Baseball fan base...
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

cp jay 07 wrote:Heard Big 10 is announcing 2016 and 2018 tourney in Omaha. Gonna rotate with the Big EAST (2015,2017,2019) so there will be a conference tourney every year in Omaha. Pretty cool.
So... in 2016 and 2018 TD Ameritrade Park will be filled with Husker fans for a series of Husker home games gifted by the Big 10, and in 2015,2017,2019 you'll have plenty of parking around north downtown.

Plan accordingly.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nice for Delaney to consider baseball big enough to travel to Omaha for the announcement. B1G baseball probably used to get a press release.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Nice for Delaney to consider baseball big enough to travel to Omaha for the announcement. B1G baseball probably used to get a press release.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out when you break the B1G Tournament attendance record in the first inning of the first game, that you are doing something right...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Nice for Delaney to consider baseball big enough to travel to Omaha for the announcement. B1G baseball probably used to get a press release.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out when you break the B1G Tournament attendance record in the first inning of the first game, that you are doing something right...

IS it doing something right or having a gift fall in your lap
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well, I don't think it would have happened except for TDA...

Now that DTO baseball is extended another week... Will that spur any more DTO development around TDA?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Well, I don't think it would have happened except for TDA...

Now that DTO baseball is extended another week... Will that spur any more DTO development around TDA?
I agree it is TDA, Omaha, The Huskers, Collage Baseball tradition in the area. The only part that the B1G did is putting it here. The rest took care of itself. Of course it helped that the Huskers made it to the finals but I am confident that the numbers would have broke records without Husker success all be it by no where near the margin.

I think the Big East Numbers will surprise a few people too

IMO another week is not the tipping point for added development. That is unfortunate
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Gary Sharp ‏@GarySharp1620 wrote: Jim Delaney said the Big 10 was only offered dates for 2016 & 2018 in Omaha
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Probably not, but I hear the company that makes white tents is moving their HQ here.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I don't think permanent development. So much of the stuff around TD is temporary. That building by the 'Blatt, the Lids store, etc....I don't think an extra 5 days, every other year does much. Still very good news though. Too bad the Big East is blocking this from being every year.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:

Too bad the Big East is blocking this from being every year.

Greg
You do realize the years the Big 10 isn't there the Big EAST will have dates in the building so don't see how it is a bad thing? Just cause your team isn't playing doesn't mean it is bad.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I actually really like the idea of alternating years. It keeps each set of teams fresh for the casual fans.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:I actually really like the idea of alternating years.  It keeps each set of teams fresh for the casual fans.
It will also show if Omaha really is pulling better attendance numbers than other cities....
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Too bad the Big East is blocking this from being every year.

Greg
You do realize the years the Big 10 isn't there the Big EAST will have dates in the building so don't see how it is a bad thing? Just cause your team isn't playing doesn't mean it is bad.

I do. Was thinking more along the lines of economic impact/attendance. I guess we can better evaluate after this year, once we see what the Big East draws in Omaha. Maybe I will be surprised and it will be comparable.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:

I do.  Was thinking more along the lines of economic impact/attendance.  I guess we can better evaluate after this year, once we see what the Big East draws in Omaha.  Maybe I will be surprised and it will be comparable.

Greg
I am realistic and know 19 thousand are not going to show up for that title game but CU should be in the title game every year (This conference is god awful) and if it is marketed right, which for the most part CU has shown it can do, I have no doubt 9-10 K will be there. It all depends on how the home team in the tourney does. If OSU doesn't choke against UNL and UNL has to play elimination games at 9 in the morning I am pretty sure attendance would have been different.

I remember the last time the MVC was at TDA the Matt was standing room only before the WSU game and had a tent in the parking lot so they have to be happy.

This year will be huge for CU and also the Big EAST, they screwed up the tourney in Brooklyn, can not do it in Omaha.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The story in the World Herald mentions that Omaha is still in the running for the 2018 Big Ten Men's Basketball tournament but New York is the preferred destination. I love that the baseball tournament is being extended but getting basketball is a whole new ball game. Big 10 bball has long been considered a top conference.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Greg S wrote:

I do.  Was thinking more along the lines of economic impact/attendance.  I guess we can better evaluate after this year, once we see what the Big East draws in Omaha.  Maybe I will be surprised and it will be comparable.

Greg
I am realistic and know 19 thousand are not going to show up for that title game but CU should be in the title game every year (This conference is god awful) and if it is marketed right, which for the most part CU has shown it can do, I have no doubt 9-10 K will be there. It all depends on how the home team in the tourney does. If OSU doesn't choke against UNL and UNL has to play elimination games at 9 in the morning I am pretty sure attendance would have been different.

I remember the last time the MVC was at TDA the Matt was standing room only before the WSU game and had a tent in the parking lot so they have to be happy.

This year will be huge for CU and also the Big EAST, they screwed up the tourney in Brooklyn, can not do it in Omaha.
With either tourney, the crowds are dramatically different based on how the home teams do. Odds are definitely better for CU since the Big East is so bad in baseball. If they are rolling, the Big 10 with Huskers is a completely different animal. I think the Big East is just a four team deal and not just smaller crowds but fewer dates. Not only did the Big 10 draw well when NU was playing, the locals came out even for the non-NU games which was a pleasant surprise. Last year MECA was completely caught off guard by the crowd size at multiple sessions. Under staffed and ran out of items. Hopefully they are better prepared the next time the Big 10 arrives.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The 2015 Big East Baseball Tournament starts today at TDAPO.

Go Jays!

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

4,824 see the Jays comeback to beat Seton Hall 7-4 tonight.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

How was the afternoon crowd?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:How was the afternoon crowd?
I could be wrong, but I think they just count all-day attendance. I believe that is what the Big 10 did last year and this year too. Obviously the night crowd for the Jays would have made up a majority of those in attendance though.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Just got an email from CenturyLink Center. They are doing 2 for 1 tickets for the Big East baseball championship this weekend.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:Just got an email from CenturyLink Center. They are doing 2 for 1 tickets for the Big East baseball championship this weekend.

Greg
They have had an ad in the paper all week for it as well.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

1,734 see the Jays move on after beating Seton Hall 12-1.
If they win the noon game they will play a second game against St. John's at 3:30
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Mother Nature not helping ticket sales at all.