College Baseball Conference Tournaments in Omaha

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

My impression is the Valley really wants to move this thing around.  Wichita, Mo St. Creighton, Ill st. and Bradley all play in extremely quality facilities.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I do think this opens the door for the B1G 10 to have their tourney here now.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big 10 Conference Tournament
2013 - Target Field
2014 - TD Ameritrade Park

2014 Mo Valley at Werner Park?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That would be great.  We really need NU to make it when it's here, I'm pretty confident they will.  I think it will be a major mess in Minnesota at Target Field.  The Big 12 tourney is a much bigger deal and it failed miserably at the Ballpark at Arlington.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Big 10 Conference Tournament
2013 - Target Field

This a guess or was it anounced?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:Big 10 Conference Tournament
2013 - Target Field

This a guess or was it anounced?
Announced

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120518/BIGRED/705189889
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yep, Mike'l tweeted it about 1:30 or so then they announced it on the show when it started at 2:00
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

My guess is the Valley will be in Wichita in 2014. Looks like the MVC will go with a 4 year swing with MSU, Ill State, WSU, and CU.

I can't see them playing in Omaha in 2014 and letting the Big 10 take their stadium and playing in Papillion instead.

Look for the MVC back in Omaha in 2015.
Last edited by cp jay 07 on Fri May 18, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Is this an "NCAA event"?

More specifically, can they sell beer?
Stable genius.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Big E wrote:Is this an "NCAA event"?

They sold beer at the Valley last year but if UNL is the host we will have to see what Mr. "I think prohibition is a great idea" Osbourne says about it.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I have a feeling this will do well attendance wise.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Big E wrote:Is this an "NCAA event"?

They sold beer at the Valley last year but if UNL is the host we will have to see what Mr. "I think prohibition is a great idea" Osbourne says about it.
You have to have beer to get people to attend Creighton events.  :)

It will be a B1G 10 call on beer.  I know the Big 12 did not allow it in the stadium at the last Big 12 football championship game I went to at Arrowhead.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Linkin5 wrote:I have a feeling this will do well attendance wise.
If NU is there it will do better than the MVC tourney.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Glad it was announced.  A bit disappointed that it wasn't for a four year deal like the last few cycles of the B10 tourney have been.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:Glad it was announced.  A bit disappointed that it wasn't for a four year deal like the last few cycles of the B10 tourney have been.
Wouldn't be bad for the B1G to rotate year by year now.  Columbus, Minneapolis, Omaha and Indianapolis all would be great host cities.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MECA was not offering a 4 year deal for Omaha.  They would not even offer a 2.  They were giving the MVC first dibs on the stadium.  They only offered the BIG 10 every other year because of the Mo Valley.

The BIG 10 Tourney in Minneapolis will be a fiasco in Target Stadium.  Way way too big.  The Big 12 has a much better baseball tourney and could not make a go of it at the Ballpark at Arlington.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Didn't I read that the 2013 MVC is going to I'll St or do I remember wrong and it is 2014

Greg S wrote:MECA was not offering a 4 year deal for Omaha.  They would not even offer a 2.  They were giving the MVC first dibs on the stadium.  They only offered the BIG 10 every other year because of the Mo Valley.

The BIG 10 Tourney in Minneapolis will be a fiasco in Target Stadium.  Way way too big.  The Big 12 has a much better baseball tourney and could not make a go of it at the Ballpark at Arlington.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:Didn't I read that the 2013 MVC is going to I'll St or do I remember wrong and it is 2014

Greg S wrote:MECA was not offering a 4 year deal for Omaha.  They would not even offer a 2.  They were giving the MVC first dibs on the stadium.  They only offered the BIG 10 every other year because of the Mo Valley.

Greg
When the bidding process was going on MECA did not know where the MoValley was going so they could not/chose not to offer the B1G 10 consecutive years.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: College Baseball Conference Tournaments in Omaha

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-bas ... 14aab.html
The conference office announced today that the Big Ten Baseball Tournament will feature an eight-team field for the first time in conference history, beginning with the 2014 event. The 2014 Big Ten Baseball Tournament will be held May 21-25 at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Neb., home of the College World Series.

The tournament's double-elimination format will culminate with a single championship game on Sunday, with the winner earning the tournament title and the conference's automatic berth to the NCAA Championship. All eight teams will begin play in one of two brackets, with the No. 1, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 8 seeds appearing in one bracket and the No. 2, No. 3, No. 6 and No. 7 seeds appearing in the other bracket.

The tournament begins with four contests on Wednesday and Thursday and two games slated for Friday. Saturday will feature the winners of each bracket facing the remaining one-loss team from the opposite bracket in the semifinals. As many as four games are scheduled for Saturday, with the opportunity for two if necessary games to be played to determine Sunday's championship game participants.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

Post by Huskerbaseball13 »

Thanks for bumping this! Quite a bit of fail in this thread. Amazing that Nebraska was still able to pull in top 15 recruiting class despite that "death sentence" lingering over their head. So much fail.

If the Big East ever decides to hold their conference tourny in Omaha I look forward to the droves of Villanova baseball and Georgetown fans taking over the city.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

For the two or three games Nebraska is there it will be pretty well attended. For the rest of the way, you'll have few.

So, essentially just like the MVC tourney.
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

When Nebraska is not playing it will be like the MVC. When Nebraska is playing it will be unlike anything resembling the MVC.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The total attendance for the entire tournament was 6000 last year, the current record for the entire tournament is 12000. Omaha is going to shatter that, obviously the Husker games are the main part of it, but there will be a good amount of people there for the other games. People will show up to watch a really good IU squad.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Huskerbaseball13 wrote:
If the Big East ever decides to hold their conference tourny in Omaha I look forward to the droves of Villanova baseball and Georgetown fans taking over the city.
Yeah I am sure the Purdue fans have already sold out the Hilton, and don't even call the Holiday Inn cause I am pretty sure Northwestern fans have that booked up as well :roll:

Unfortunately due to conference realignment Omaha went from being able to host the MVC and Big 12 tourneys to having to host the Big East and Big 10. Kind of a shame.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

cp jay 07 wrote:
Huskerbaseball13 wrote:
Yeah I am sure the Purdue fans have already sold out the Hilton, and don't even call the Holiday Inn cause I am pretty sure Northwestern fans have that booked up as well  :roll:

Unfortunately due to conference realignment Omaha went from being able to host the MVC and Big 12 tourneys to having to host the Big East and Big 10. Kind of a shame.
Sadly while the likes of Northwestern and Purdue are poor baseball programs they still care and put more into their program than most Big East schools. The Nebraska staff has proven it can still recruit at a very high level with the move to the Big 10. Creighton baseball was already at a disadvantage with the scholorship limit in baseball....recruiting to the Big East will just make it that much tougher. Will Servais be able to pull in the same type of talent he was able to get in the Valley? I guess we will find out.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

iamjacobm wrote:The total attendance for the entire tournament was 6000 last year, the current record for the entire tournament is 12000.  Omaha is going to shatter that, obviously the Husker games are the main part of it, but there will be a good amount of people there for the other games.  People will show up to watch a really good IU squad.
Yep....those numbers will be topped easily this year. If NU vs Indiana find their way into the championship game again I wouldnt be surprised to see more than 12,000 for just one game. Indiana will have another CWS type team again this year.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Listen before this turns into a dumpster fire of us going back and forth lets just call a spade a spade and admit the Big East and Big 10 are not baseball conference's. We can sit and bicker all day about this but I imagine you are smart enough to realize that the Big 10 could give two sh!ts about baseball and the same goes for the BE.

The Big East has St. Johns and CU and probably a surprise team every now and then (Seton Hall last year) and the Big 10 has UNL and Indiana (if they can keep it up). Neither conference really has a traditional baseball power like the MVC or Big 12 did.

Also before you go on about recruiting with Scholarship limits lets remember the Big 10 probably has the stupidest rule in all of College baseball with regards to committed recruits signing with the MLB so the fact Erstad has been able to recruit like he has so far is a miracle and I would be interested to see if he can keep it up.

At the end of the day the Big 10 will be all Husker fans and next year assuming the BE comes to Omaha like its rumored it will be all CU fans, neither conference has a WSU or Texas that will bring actual fans other than close friends and family to the games.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Neither conference is a baseball conference, but the Big 10 is putting a lot more money towards the sport. New and redone stadiums all over the conference. More to come once they get the new TV deals in a few years.

Back to the original point, the Big 10 baseball tourney is not much of a draw but NU will bring in very large crowds for it's game. A deep run by the Big Red will make a huge difference in the attendance numbers.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Huskerbaseball13 wrote:
Yeah I am sure the Purdue fans have already sold out the Hilton, and don't even call the Holiday Inn cause I am pretty sure Northwestern fans have that booked up as well  :roll:

Omaha was never going to be a regular stop in the Big 12. Maybe every once in a while, but they've got that thing dialed in for OKC. The MVC drew very sparse crowds when here, not much of a loss.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

I wouldn't call 7k for the championship game "sparse" (Of course it is in TDA but that's a whole nother debate) let's not forget the MVC was plagued by weather delays also during their run. 4 games in a day if I remember right and the home team having to play at 9 AM and 9:40 PM because of delays and set backs. Not exactly great times. I am sure if UNL had a weekday 9 AM start against Purdue Downtown it would be just as sparse of a crowd.

As for Big 10 teams putting more money in their programs it looks like Northwestern is really doing it big. The CU sports complex softball field thinks this is pathetic.
heck and Purdue basically plays at Seymour Smith Park in Indiana it looks like. Nice bench seating.

Trust me I know Big East Parks are just as bad but I am not going to make excuses and say the league is making an effort when teams are still playing at glorified high school parks, it's called being a realist and I know most Nebraska fans have an issue being one. I.E. thinking Nebraska football is still relevant in the national spotlight.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Purdue needs to update their own facilities page(shows how much they care about baseball I guess). The have a new decent stadium now.

Both conferences are bad. I think the B1G is not nearly as low as the BE and seems to have at least a handful of teams that are trying.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Is there really Big 10 vs Big East baseball smack talk here? What smells worse, baby |expletive| or dog |expletive|?
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

cp jay 07 wrote:I wouldn't call 7k for the championship game "sparse" (Of course it is in TDA but that's a whole nother debate) let's not forget the MVC was plagued by weather delays also during their run. 4 games in a day if I remember right and the home team having to play at 9 AM and 9:40 PM because of delays and set backs. Not exactly great times. I am sure if UNL had a weekday 9 AM start against Purdue Downtown it would be just as sparse of a crowd.

As for Big 10 teams putting more money in their programs it looks like Northwestern is really doing it big. The CU sports complex softball field thinks this is pathetic.
heck and Purdue basically plays at Seymour Smith Park in Indiana it looks like. Nice bench seating.

Trust me I know Big East Parks are just as bad but I am not going to make excuses and say the league is making an effort when teams are still playing at glorified high school parks, it's called being a realist and I know most Nebraska fans have an issue being one. I.E. thinking Nebraska football is still relevant in the national spotlight.

One would think that you would have learned in the past decade that you should do research before posting. As someone else noted...Purdue now plays in a new park. Northwestern just raised 5 million in funds to renovate Wildcats Rocky Miller Park. So not excuses...it's called facts!

Oh and here is another fact...despite NU not winning any title in quite some time it would be hard to argue they arent relevant in the national spotlight considering all the play they still get nationwide. Oh and...they had the #13 most viewers last year in regards to people watching their games on the tube. But no...not relevant at all in the national spotlight! :hi:

http://college-football.si.com/2013/12/ ... longhorns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You probably should have stopped many posts ago when talking about the "death sentence"....or "NU won't be able to recruit." Fast forward a few years and NU is bringing in its best recruiting classes ever while Creighton baseball will now be competing with UNO for recruits. And the top in state baseball players still want to play for the Big Red. I guess the more things change...the more they stay the same.

I don't see Creighton on this list....

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ ... e-country/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

NCAA baseball conference argument, this is busch league you guys.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Can someone provide a link to a Husker Spazzatoid Message board? I think this last page needs to be sent there. Or at the very least a Big 10 or Big East board.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Here's an article from a few years ago on the millions Big 10 schools are pouring into their facilities in baseball. Since this article Nebraska has upgraded with the Alex Gordon indoor practice facility, and Minnesota built the baseball field that is referred to in the article.

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/stadium ... alent.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When the MVC tourney was announced for Omaha years ago, all we heard was that in addition to CU, WSU would bring thousands of fans. Did not materialized. All we got were excuses on why the crowds never showed. I will take the over (7k) on the Big 10 tourney outdrawing the MVC. It's all on Nebraska to do it. I am on record that TD is too big for the Big 10 or the MVC (and most definitely the new Big East). Any of these would be a better fit at Werner. I will be going to TD for this year's tourney.

Comparing conferences, neither the Big 10 or the Big East is a baseball conference. But for right now and the future, the Big 10 is better.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Nice to see they have already sold 4,600 all session tickets for the B1G tournament.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:Nice to see they have already sold 4,600 all session tickets for the B1G tournament.

Greg
Almost at last years total of only 6,444 for all 11 games. It is possible that they get more than that in the first or second games.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Hopefully they start promoting it more the next couple of weeks. I really think they could pull 10k or more on the weekend.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The key is when NU plays, and also that NU advances.

Greg