College Baseball Conference Tournaments in Omaha

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: College Baseball Conference Tournaments in Omaha

Post by Coyote »

Radio had mentioned Nebraska may be slated for the 9 am game; and if that happened how idiotic the B1G officials would be...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah, I would thing in any of these tourneys, the host team or closest, goes to primetime to maximize ticket sales. That does note seem to be the way they go though.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nebraska needs to win the series against Illinois and this most likely wont be an issue.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

I was wondering the same thing. I get Nebraska will draw but you cannot honestly tell me that Nebraska will draw that many for a 9 AM game on Wednesday against a lower half Big 10 team. 1 PM would be a little better but people still have work and kids still have school so again it is not perfect.

Actually the Big 10 bracket looks like a cluster with no real primetime games for the first 2 days. 5 PM people are just leaving work and who wants to start a Baseball game at 9, especially in this town where people bitched about CWS games getting moved to 8.

I saw the Big 10 decided right before the season to move to 8 teams but you think they would have sat down and looked at a schedule and said 4 games might be a little much. I know the MVC does an 8 team tourney with 3 games a day with the Host getting prime time every day.

This tourney will draw on the weekend but I am interested to see what these games times on Wednesday and Thursday draw, especially I UNL is playing at 9 AM.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

First AB of the B1G Tournament results in a homer, who says the park is too big! :lol:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Judging by the citycam view from Channel 6, there appears to be a decent crowd there for the Nebraska/Ohio St game.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Judging by the citycam view from Channel 6, there appears to be a decent crowd there for the Nebraska/Ohio St game.
They said an estimate of over 6K on the radio. They also said there was nothing official yet. If it is over 5K it will be more than the total attendance at all of last years tourny if I remember correct.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Where did my post go?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Where did my post go?
First you forget what you going to post and now you don't remember that you didn't post! :;):
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:Where did my post go?
First you forget what you going to post and now you don't remember that you didn't post!    :;):
I think someone moved it to the thread about the skerz.... I remember enough to remember that I seldom post in a husker thread :;):
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There are to threads on the game going on right now. :P
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:There are to threads on the game going on right now.    :P
But I barely even read the Husker Thread let alone post in it.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

There were some significant issues with ticketing at the game today. The base price of the tickets is reasonable at $10, but the fees are 70%, making the total $17. Lots of walkups to buy tickets and avoid the tickemaster fees. Many fans were still in line during the fourth inning.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:There were some significant issues with ticketing at the game today.  The base price of the tickets is reasonable at $10, but the fees are 70%, making the total $17.  Lots of walkups to buy tickets and avoid the tickemaster fees.  Many fans were still in line during the fourth inning.

Greg
Also the tickets are good for the whole day, but apparently you can only leave once and get reentrance. Makes it tough to stick around the whole day.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

So then, is there only one attendance announced per day, we won't get attendance numbers per game?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:So then, is there only one attendance announced per day, we won't get attendance numbers per game?
Yeah looks like they do session attendance. I would guess maybe 9K I have seen predictions a little higher and a little lower than that.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:So then, is there only one attendance announced per day, we won't get attendance numbers per game?
10,324. Last year's total attendance was 6K and the BiG tourney record is 12K.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:
10,324.  Last year's total attendance was 6K and the BiG tourney record is 12K.
Coyote wrote:10,424. Single day B1G Tournament attendance record.
Twitter numbers again?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
10,324.  Last year's total attendance was 6K and the BiG tourney record is 12K.
Coyote wrote:10,424. Single day B1G Tournament attendance record.
Twitter numbers again?
:banghead:

Message board info.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They were talking about about these same attendance numbers on 1620 this morning.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Hopefully better today. Some were still in line for tickets during the 4th inning. I heard the concessions were taking 3 innings from start to finish. Epic fail on MECA's part. They would have been fine with this staff for the MoValley. :D

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/more-st ... b2370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Kudos to the City for their brilliant move to increase parking revenues by closing 4 blocks of Cass St to on-street parking for a paving project, so the normal downtown workers who use street parking move further north, taking away dozens of parking spots that ballgame attendees could be using.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:Hopefully better today. Some were still in line for tickets during the 4th inning. I heard the concessions were taking 3 innings from start to finish. Epic fail on MECA's part. They would have been fine with this staff for the MoValley. :D

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/more-st ... b2370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg
I am hearing the Big 10 told MECA to expect 7,000 max on opening day. Remember the Big 10 and UNL is running this.

When CU got 14 thousand against Seton Hall there were not problems really.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

With the dramatic win yesterday, really great weather and the game starting at a more fan friendly time from the delay earlier the crowd could be really big tonight. 15K+ wouldn't shock me.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Posted this is in the Husker baseball thread as well. The two day attendance is now 22,183. The previous record of 12,219 was in 2012 in Columbus, OH.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Re:

Post by HskrFanMike »

cp jay 07 wrote:Werner would fit the B1G tourney much better than TDA would. Think about it we are talking about a low major baseball conference where fans do not travel. I watched last years championship from Penn States stadium and there might have been 1,000 people there. The fact is is that the B1G does not care about baseball, they have their own recruiting rules which pretty much screw all their teams and the fact that their most southern team is now Lincoln, Nebraska does not help either.

Nebraska fans will have to realize that while the move to the B1G helped a lot of their teams it was pretty much a death sentence to the baseball team.

Another thing to think about when talking about attendance is who Nebraska is playing. Back when they were playing Texas and all the other serious CWS contenders in the Big 12 you could maybe get 20,000 but I don't think they would show up to see the powers that are Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois.
:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:
Oops. After 2 days, total attendance over 22,000 at this point.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

It seems like we always break records when we host things.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Delany praises Big Ten tourney in Omaha
KEN HAMBLETON / Lincoln Journal Star wrote:Despite the fact this year’s tournament at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha has drawn more than 40,000 people, with Sunday’s championship game between Indiana and Nebraska to go, and last year’s tournament at the home of the Minnesota Twins drew about 6,000 fans total, Delany said future tournament sites are out of his hands.

“We couldn't be more pleased to be in the No. 1 place for college baseball and the turnout of Nebraska and Omaha fans," Delany said. "We were not surprised by the turnout, but it's better than we felt it would be.

“This tournament set the bar here in every way.”

Delany added that Omaha serving as an anchor for the league tourney has not been discussed.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ok, MECA and Conference question, who gets what revenue?

1) ticket sales; are tickets allotted per team?
2) concessions; do the conferences get a cut, or does that all stay with MECA.
3) parking; besides The Yard, is that MECA ' sir the city's or is there so difference.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Today's game
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (142.89 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Greg S wrote:Hopefully better today.  Some were still in line for tickets during the 4th inning.  I heard the concessions were taking 3 innings from start to finish.  Epic fail on MECA's part.  They would have been fine with this staff for the MoValley.    :D

Greg
I am hearing the Big 10 told MECA to expect 7,000 max on opening day. Remember the Big 10 and UNL is running this.

When CU got 14 thousand against Seton Hall there were not problems really.
We were on the club level today and MECA was again understaffed, both on the 1st and club levels. One of the officials from MECA was apologizing for the waits. I asked him how much of this fell on Nebraska as the host school. He said none. Nebraska had no more say on MECA's planning and staffing than any of the other schools. Said it was not like when there is a host school for the volleyball or basketball tourneys at Century Link. I then asked if B1G should share the blame, he said not really. Staffing and planning was all on MECA and they were estimating and navigating ticket sales.

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

In fairness to MECA, I'm not sure ANYBODY saw yesterday's crowd coming. They should have expected 9k-10k on Wednesday; Jon Nyatawa said they were expecting 9k on Monday. So they shouldn't have been caught off guard. Yesterday, I was hoping for 15k, and I'm one of the more optimistic guys out there. But I was blown away when traffic on I-80/I-480 resembled morning rush hour.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

There was a lot of talk on Saturday about 20k on Sunday. If you get 12 at 9am on Saturday, knowing the Huskers and their faithful, the Sunday crowd did not surprise me. I was surprised it caught them off guard. Tons of tickets being sold immediately after Saturday's game, After MECA's apology on Wednesday, they promised it would not happen again.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It got so loud in there during the Husker Power chant, I could not hit the gun fire from the Bob Kerrey Bridge area :D

Greg
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

Post by Huskerbaseball13 »

Greg S wrote:There was a lot of talk on Saturday about 20k on Sunday.  If you get 12 at 9am on Saturday, knowing the Huskers and their faithful, the Sunday crowd did not surprise me.  I was surprised it caught them off guard.  Tons of tickets being sold immediately after Saturday's game,  After MECA's apology on Wednesday, they promised it would not happen again.  

It got so loud in there during the Husker Power chant, I could not hit the gun fire from the Bob Kerrey Bridge area :D

Greg
I guess it's a good thing they didn't hold the event at Werner Park. :hammer:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Huskerbaseball13 wrote:
Greg S wrote:There was a lot of talk on Saturday about 20k on Sunday.  If you get 12 at 9am on Saturday, knowing the Huskers and their faithful, the Sunday crowd did not surprise me.  I was surprised it caught them off guard.  Tons of tickets being sold immediately after Saturday's game,  After MECA's apology on Wednesday, they promised it would not happen again.  

Greg
I guess it's a good thing they didn't hold the event at Werner Park.   :hammer:

The key with the games at TD is that you have Nebraska come in strong and once they get there win. It helped that NU came in as a 2 seed (plus winning it in the final game this year), plus the comeback on Wednesday. If Nebraska does not stage the great comeback Wednesday it gets a little more interesting on crowd size.

Greg
Last edited by Greg S on Wed May 28, 2014 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They built Werner so the Storm Chasers wouldn't get blocked out of their stadium on weekends like this past one. While the B1G was breaking records downtown Werner was setting high attendance numbers too. No way Werner would give up their stadium on Memorial Day weekend every year for conference tournaments. TD has all the free time in the world and should be used.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:

Greg
If you hit the gunfire, you might be dead. So it's probably best that you didn't.
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Make that hear. Thankfully so far you can only hear nearby gunfire at TD but no one has been hit by it.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

There was talk on 1620 this week on the Big East not having their baseball tourney going forward. With it being a one bid league, you have issues like this year, where the best team with the best chance in the tourney (Creighton) is not going. Throw in the fact there was no interest in the games based on attendance, you wonder. They certainly are making any money on it.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:There was talk on 1620 this week on the Big East not having their baseball tourney going forward.  With it being a one bid league, you have issues like this year, where the best team with the best chance in the tourney (Creighton) is not going.  Throw in the fact there was no interest in the games based on attendance, you wonder.  They certainly are making any money on  it.

Greg
That is a good thought. The tournament did little to spike any interest. I think most games had less than 1,000 at them. And of course, Creighton gets hosed by not winning the thing.