City Council

2012 Creighton Baseball

Post by iamjacobm »

Starting the season 2-0.  

They won 7-3 in 10 innings tonight.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Finished the sweep on Sunday to open the season 3-0. Can't wait for opening night against BYU.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I didn't even catch this.  Creighton plays 13 games in a 16 day stretch this season.  I hope they have some pitching!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:I didn't even catch this.  Creighton plays 13 games in a 16 day stretch this season.  I hope they have some pitching!

wow, that is a tough stretch no matter who you are playing.  I will have to go look at the schedule.  Are any of those double headers, not that that will give any relief to the pitching.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I didn't even catch this.  Creighton plays 13 games in a 16 day stretch this season.  I hope they have some pitching!

wow, that is a tough stretch no matter who you are playing.  I will have to go look at the schedule.  Are any of those double headers, not that that will give any relief to the pitching.
The last one is a double header.  Other than that between March 2-17 they have 13 games!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

A buddy of mine who I shoot with at White and Blue Review will be flying to California to shoot the Berkely, Sacramento and Stockton games.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Early weather predictions have it at nearly 70 degrees for opening day at TDAPO next Tuesday.  Could get a decent crowd, I'll be there for sure.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

3,000+ on hand for opening day to see a quick 2-0 win over BYU.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I got free tickets and went last night.  Was trying to figure out the attendance before they announced it.  I'm not sure if they had 3k or not, my instincts tell me it was pretty close though.  I was below the overhang so I could not see the upper deck.  There were just so many empty seats and just a few concession stands open (which could handle the crowd).

The weather was perfect for it.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:I got free tickets and went last night.  Was trying to figure out the attendance before they announced it.  I'm not sure if they had 3k or not, my instincts tell me it was pretty close though.  I was below the overhang so I could not see the upper deck.  There were just so many empty seats and just a few concession stands open (which could handle the crowd).

The weather was perfect for it.

Greg
The club level and suites had at least 1,000 up there I would say. Think about 3,000 was right on.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Bullpen looked real good again last night in a 3-1 win over La. Tech.

Another good crowd as well. Upper 2,000's legit.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Creighton V UNO tonight at 6pm at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:Creighton V UNO tonight at 6pm at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha.
They could sell 25,000 tickets if that were a football game.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Actually if both UNL and Creighton's programs were clicking as in years past... they could probably get 25k to a baseball game downtown.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

I don't know if we will ever get back to the 2005 attendance where it was basically a CWS crowd. UNL was top 10 and CU was top 25. I could see both schools playing when both are ranked (not this year). But don't know if either one will be in the top 10 ever again.

The weather tonight should be fantastic so I'm hoping for maybe 4,000. We will see, I was impressed with the crowds for BYU and La Tech, about 3,000 (actual) for both of them.

Jays don't leave the state again till April 20th so they could really get things going starting tonight. This team is a different team when it gets to play its style of ball at TDA.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

In defense of my comment, I was commenting on Brad stating it was Creighton v UNO.  Silly me for thinking he could spell UNL.
Stable genius.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Well that was unacceptable.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just to be clear, they did play UNO "Omaha" last night.

Final was CU 2 UNO 3

First time Two teams I cover on a regular basis, have played each other.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Creighton Beats Kansas tonight 7-3.  Decent crow, photos to follow.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Tough weekend but ended on a very positive note Sunday on national TV. Hopefully the Jays can continue their momentum with some games against some weak non conference teams in UNL, SDSU and Iowa coming up. Not much to play for except for pride and a better MVC seed now.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

Post by Huskerbaseball13 »

cp jay 07 wrote:Tough weekend but ended on a very positive note Sunday on national TV. Hopefully the Jays can continue their momentum with some games against some weak non conference teams in UNL, SDSU and Iowa coming up. Not much to play for except for pride and a better MVC seed now.
Sounds like Creighton/Servais is having scheduling issues then...considering Nebraska will end up being one of the highest non-con RPI teams Creighton faces this year.  Is Creighton going Johnny Whole staff tonight?  How long is Blach going for?
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Servais used Wholestaff against KU and it worked great so I expect to see it again tonight. Blach will go one inning or about 30 pitches whichever comes first, ervais likes using these Tuesday games as his midweek bullpen session so expect that.

Going to be interesting to see how this team plays in a hitters park tonight. And I think both sides can agree that this series thrives when both teams are NCAA caliber teams, (2005-2008 were great series) Looks like neither team will be sniffing the post season this year.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

What a crappy night in Lincoln. CU pitching had UNL shut down all night and the defense lets them score 4 runs in an inning. Errors, errors, errors. Not a typical Creighton team.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I thought it was a gimme for you guys :)
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Nothing is a gimmie for this team but yes a MVC baseball team should beat a Big 10 team. If Stahley plays like he has played all season and does not have 3 Es it is a new ballgame. heck of a night to have your off night.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

cp jay 07 wrote:Nothing is a gimmie for this team but yes a MVC baseball team should beat a Big 10 team. If Stahley plays like he has played all season and does not have 3 Es it is a new ballgame. heck of a night to have your off night.
Not when the Big 10 team is a better program.  Are you saying you expect Nebraska basketball to beat Creighton basketball every single year just because they play in the Big 10?

Of course...you would also think a Mo Valley team should beat Nebraska-Omaha!  

Anyone can play the IF game after the fact.....if Creighton wasn't one of the worst hitting clubs in the nation I'm sure it would have played out differently also.  If you know anything about the game of baseball you would know Nebraska contributed to the Jays making errors by applying pressure on them.  The Jays folded, Nebraska scored runs off of it.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Huskerbaseball13 wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:Nothing is a gimmie for this team but yes a MVC baseball team should beat a Big 10 team. If Stahley plays like he has played all season and does not have 3 Es it is a new ballgame. heck of a night to have your off night.
Not when the Big 10 team is a better program.  Are you saying you expect Nebraska basketball to beat Creighton basketball every single year just because they play in the Big 10?

Anyone can play the IF game after the fact.....if Creighton wasn't one of the worst hitting clubs in the nation I'm sure it would have played out differently also.  If you know anything about the game of baseball you would know Nebraska contributed to the Jays making errors by applying pressure on them.  The Jays folded, Nebraska scored runs off of it.
Putting Pressure on them? Oh you mean hitting ground balls? Outside of the squeez bunt they just took what Creighton gave them. Taking second base on past balls is not putting pressure on. heck they were held hit less the last 4 innings, great pressure.

It would be stupid to sit there and say if CU hit the cover off the ball they would win because they haven't all year, the one thing that they have done all year though is play good defense, they didn't last night. Usually CU does not make those errors and the 4 run inning is avoided.

I know you like to think Nebraska is so far ahead of Creightons program wise but you really should take the rose colored glasses off once and you would see most years they are very equal. Both have great stadiums, both good coaches, jury is still out on Erstad but he should win there, and the one thing Nebraska had over Creighton, the Big 12, they gave up. Now its two midwestern teams in similar baseball conferences where Creighton now has the edge. I know UNL fan thinks the CWS is right around corner but the fact is they are a mid-major baseball program now.

Hey and at least CU played UNO instead of chickening out of a 3 game series with them like UNL did, then UNL played a division 2 team.  ;)
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

cp jay 07 wrote:
Huskerbaseball13 wrote:

Putting Pressure on them? Oh you mean hitting ground balls? Outside of the squeez bunt they just took what Creighton gave them. Taking second base on past balls is not putting pressure on. heck they were held hit less the last 4 innings, great pressure.

It would be stupid to sit there and say if CU hit the cover off the ball they would win because they haven't all year, the one thing that they have done all year though is play good defense, they didn't last night. Usually CU does not make those errors and the 4 run inning is avoided.

I know you like to think Nebraska is so far ahead of Creightons program wise but you really should take the rose colored glasses off once and you would see most years they are very equal. Both have great stadiums, both good coaches, jury is still out on Erstad but he should win there, and the one thing Nebraska had over Creighton, the Big 12, they gave up. Now its two midwestern teams in similar baseball conferences where Creighton now has the edge. I know UNL fan thinks the CWS is right around corner but the fact is they are a mid-major baseball program now.

Hey and at least CU played UNO instead of chickening out of a 3 game series with them like UNL did, then UNL played a division 2 team.  ;)
“It's a very, very rare situation to see us make as many mistakes defensively as we did,” said Servais, whose team had committed two errors in a game only three times before Tuesday. “I give them credit because they sped us up a little bit.”

Your coaches words....not mine.

Most years they are pretty equal?  Sorry, that's just simply not true.  Since 2000 Nebraska holds a 27-11 advantage over Creighton...and has won the series 8 out of 11...one more win this year and it will be 9 out of 12.  That's not equal...unless you also want to say Nebraska basketball has been equal with Creighton basketball in the same time frame!  Creighton will ALWAYS be at a disadvantage in comparison to Nebraska because of scholarships and MONEY.  Creighton will never have an edge over Nebraska baseball because of those two reason.  Nebraska will continue to pick and choose the talent out of Nebraska and bring in more talent out of the region.  Creighton's tuition will continue to hurt them regarding recruiting...and they will never have the same cash flow Nebraska baseball does.  The talent level will continue to be on Nebraska's side as it has been for a very long time.

As for UNO...why in the world would it make sense for Nebraska to schedule a series with them??
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

How about we go from the last 5 seasons,  UNL leads 6-8 but CU leads NCAA bids 2-1, you can brag about how you killed us during the DVH era all day long but those days are long gone. CU now has a top notch facility which they lacked before.

As for ducking UNO, its not that you didn't play them, its that you went with a division 2 school when you could have just got UNO who is at least division 1.

You act like you are so above UNO, the fact is in baseball you get as many games as you can, alot of big 10/ big 12 teams will/have played them, in fact UNO plays Iowa and K state this year so its not like people won't play them. After scheduling Doane and UNK the past few years I would think UNL would be happy to get a D-1 game at home in early March/late Feburary. Keep playing NAIA and D-2 teams though, resume builders I guess.

Anyway we have had this debate countless times, and Im sure we will again so I am done for now, see ya on the 24th, hopefully CUs defense actually shows up.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

cp jay 07 wrote:How about we go from the last 5 seasons,  UNL leads 6-8 but CU leads NCAA bids 2-1, you can brag about how you killed us during the DVH era all day long but those days are long gone. CU now has a top notch facility which they lacked before.

As for ducking UNO, its not that you didn't play them, its that you went with a division 2 school when you could have just got UNO who is at least division 1.

You act like you are so above UNO, the fact is in baseball you get as many games as you can, alot of big 10/ big 12 teams will/have played them, in fact UNO plays Iowa and K state this year so its not like people won't play them. After scheduling Doane and UNK the past few years I would think UNL would be happy to get a D-1 game at home in early March/late Feburary. Keep playing NAIA and D-2 teams though, resume builders I guess.

Anyway we have had this debate countless times, and Im sure we will again so I am done for now, see ya on the 24th, hopefully CUs defense actually shows up.
That's just the thing...they ARENT resume builders...a game vs a Kearney has ZERO to do with Nebraska's RPI win or lose.  A game vs UNO now...would.  Wouldnt surprise me to see Nebraska play UNO 1 time ever couple years.  But I don't ever foreseer them having a series against them.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the game tonight vs. Nebraska
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What building you in?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:What building you in?
Landmark Center 14th Floor
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Creighton on a huge run in the MVC.  Lowest seed and they have been wrecking teams by 5,6 and 7.

In the championship tomorrow night against Southern Ill.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

One win away from the most unbelieveable NCAA tourney run anyone has ever seen, this team was left for dead in April and now they are ready to shock the world.

Another thing is if the Jays do make it they will obviosuly be sent to a top 8 seed regional and be the 4 seed, but what 1 seed wants to see a pitcher like Ty Blach, he has shutdown two of the best hitting teams in the country this month in Dallas Baptist and Indiana State (Both in the NCAA field when CU played them ISU probably out on the bubble now). Ty also has not allowed an earned run in I believe over 18 innings now. CU will not be your typical 4 seed with over 10 seniors having experience from last years regional team. Tomorrow night will be a fun game to watch.

Huskerbaseball13 was right, a team from the state has a great shot at making the NCAA tourney this year ;)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yeah!!!! Mo Valley Champs and heading to the Tourney!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Yeah!!!! Mo Valley Champs and heading to the Tourney!!!
That is |expletive| awesome!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

That was absolutely ridiculous. Can't believe they pulled it out but very happy for them. How long will that missed fly ball haunt that outfielder. Wowza...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Was Creighton supposed to be good this year and underachieved during season or was there supposed to be a big drop off and they just over achieved in tourney?  Anybody know were current baseball RPI's are?

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Creighton headed to LA against UCLA.  Going to be tough.