2012 Omaha Nighthawks

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:I don't think the weeknight would be a problem if it was an established and winning program.  Creighton has no problem drawing 17,000 to a basketball game on a weeknight.  People sell out concerts on weeknight all the time too.
Agree but there is one minor diff.  Outdoors and weather.  If they were established that would still have some effect on attendance.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nebugeater wrote:2234 is what the story in the OWH says for attendance on Wed night.
So, who won?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:
nebugeater wrote:2234 is what the story in the OWH says for attendance on Wed night.
So, who won?
LV beat the Nighthawks
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I'm sure attendance was inflated in 2010 because of Rosenblatt. Now it's more on par with what you see at other venues.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:I'm sure attendance was inflated in 2010 because of Rosenblatt. Now it's more on par with what you see at other venues.
I thought in 2010 other teams in the league were drawing 6k-8k a game?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I was a season ticket holder in 2010 and while the BLatt probably had some part of the draw it was far from the reason for 18K.   There were many people that were season ticket people areound me that were there for football and had NEVER been to the Blatt before because they could care less about baseball and nothing else had ever drawn them there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I was way to optimistic about last night.  Although I would account the attendance problems to league unrest a whole lot more than venue or day of the week games are held.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

iamjacobm wrote:I was way to optimistic about last night.  Although I would account the attendance problems to league unrest a whole lot more than venue or day of the week games are held.
They should at least do **SOME** promotion! I don't think I've seen a single TV spot or feature on the local news about the team. :(
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I was way to optimistic about last night.  Although I would account the attendance problems to league unrest a whole lot more than venue or day of the week games are held.
They should at least do **SOME** promotion! I don't think I've seen a single TV spot or feature on the local news about the team. :(
They have been doing promtions on the local sports radio stations and on social media.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Swift wrote:I have no facts to back up my assessment, but I guarantee the UFL is getting paid
or not...

"Also Tuesday, a source with knowledge of the UFL's broadcast deal with CBS Sports Network confirmed the UFL receives no money from the network and must pay all production costs - roughly $150,000 - up front for each game."

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/10/agent-t ... n-paid-yet
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Gotta admit, if you've got a sketchy business plan, I would set aside a few consulting bucks for the UFL guys. How they've ever had investors, is beyond me.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I think they were betting on a long term NFL lockout last year for talent and TV money, which never happened.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I don't know, I would never bet on an NFL lockout. NBA, sure. NHL, obviously yes. MLB, we've seen it before. But not the NFL, nothing long-term, anyway. This whole thing seemed sketchy from the start.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

UFL suspends operations for 2012 season
Omaha Nighthawks wrote:The United Football League announced Oct. 20 that it is suspending operations for the remainder of the 2012 season.

“League ownership has made the difficult decision to suspend operations for the 2012 season,” said Nighthawks general manager Matt Boockmeier. “This decision was made after careful consideration and consultation with all parties involved.”

The suspension comes midway through the UFL season. The Omaha Nighthawks have played four of eight scheduled games, including two of four home games.

“We have done, and will continue to do, everything we can to bring a great brand of professional football to our fans in Omaha,” Boockmeier said. “We are proud of what we accomplished not only this season, but throughout our short history. The organization is grateful to the many fans and partners who have supported us through these last three years.”

Ticket refunds can be requested via the online ticket inquiry form.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

The UFL has officially postponed the second half of the fall 2012 season to the spring of 2013. Also plans to play again in the fall of '13. Thanks for your support. We appreciate it.
Better hope Burke has some weekend dates available cause they won't be playing at TD in the spring. [/img]
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Get to say bye to the Nighthawks and Red Sky in the same week.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Who won the Nighthawks home game last night against Sacramento and what was the crowd like?  

Oh wait, never mind...........
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Anyone think MECA is panicking right now, or did they see this coming from far enough ahead that they have other things planned for the park?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

No chance MECA is panicking. They saw this coming a mile away and had their contract pre-paid. I don't think they're sweating from losing concession sales from 400 people.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TDA was 100% based on just the CWS.  Anything else is just iceing on the cake.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:TDA was 100% based on just the CWS.  Anything else is just iceing on the cake.
They have been saying that from Day 1.  Before there was a UFL or Red Sky.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

The UFL was finished when they started playing with the integrity of the game...so basically from day one.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Bosco55David wrote:The UFL was finished when they started playing with the integrity of the game...so basically from day one.
Note quite sure what you are getting at here.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

I am doughting the UFL comes back, there announcement saturday said they were totaly out of money, there is no chance there playing in spring here. I bet MECA is glad they got there money to allow them to play at TD up front after this went down
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nebugeater wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:The UFL was finished when they started playing with the integrity of the game...so basically from day one.
Note quite sure what you are getting at here.
Weren't there some rule tweaks, like no blitzing or something like that?  I seem to remember it basically being like watching the Pro Bowl or any of the college all-star games.

The UFL was finished when the USFL "won" their anti-trust battle against the NFL in the 1980s.
Stable genius.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Big E wrote:Weren't there some rule tweaks, like no blitzing or something like that?  I seem to remember it basically being like watching the Pro Bowl or any of the college all-star games.
Yeah, pretty much. Another one is that defense could only run four man fronts, so there were no 3-4 defenses and nickel and dime packages were pretty limited. They basically castrated the defensive coordinators in hopes of creating high scoring games, and that basically killed any interest I had in it. I'm sure that many others probably felt the same way I did as well.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

This sounds familiar:

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/Oma ... index.html

Omaha Nighthawks players take legal action
Players say they are missing paychecks

OMAHA, Neb. — After their season was cut short with missing paychecks, Omaha Nighthawks football players are speaking out and taking legal action against the United Football League.

The old practice facility at the Kroc Center is owned by the Salvation Army, who also said the UFL owes them money. The players said their paychecks were overdue in October.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Now that players form the the Nighthawks and the Locomotives are filling suit against the league to get paid I highly dought that the UFL is coming back in the spring like that were saying when the cut last season short.  Not a good sign this is happening now
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Turtle9160 wrote:Now that players form the the Nighthawks and the Locomotives are filling suit against the league to get paid I highly dought that the UFL is coming back in the spring like that were saying when the cut last season short.  Not a good sign this is happening now
There will never EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER be another mainstream football league in the United States, ever.

Between the NFL and college football, the market is saturated, and the UFL was dead from its inception.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

S33 wrote:
Turtle9160 wrote:Now that players form the the Nighthawks and the Locomotives are filling suit against the league to get paid I highly dought that the UFL is coming back in the spring like that were saying when the cut last season short.  Not a good sign this is happening now
There will never EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER be another mainstream football league in the United States, ever.

Between the NFL and college football, the market is saturated, and the UFL was dead from its inception.
There will never be a SUCESSFULL maisteral football league UNLESS it is backed by the NFL and I think that is very possible in the next few years.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

nebugeater wrote: There will never be a SUCESSFULL maisteral football league UNLESS it is backed by the NFL and I think that is very possible in the next few years.
I just am not seeing where the need is for an NFL farm system. Do you mean something like AAA baseball?

And, if so, I would find it really tough to get excited about it, I mean, we all have our college team, and most of us, an NFL team. I'm not sure how to work in a 3rd team level in the same sport... I know I explained that like total sh*t, but I hope you know what I mean.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

S33 wrote:
nebugeater wrote: There will never be a SUCESSFULL maisteral football league UNLESS it is backed by the NFL and I think that is very possible in the next few years.
I just am not seeing where the need is for an NFL farm system. Do you mean something like AAA baseball?

And, if so, I would find it really tough to get excited about it, I mean, we all have our college team, and most of us, an NFL team. I'm not sure how to work in a 3rd team level in the same sport... I know I explained that like total sh*t, but I hope you know what I mean.
I think the only way an NFL development league could find a niche is if they straight by passed college football.  Make it so you can go pro right out of high school, but if you aren't ready for the show you can be in a professional league with professional training and coaching at a lower level until they are ready.  I mean a guy like Clowney could be in the NFL right now instead of having to play another year in college.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

iamjacobm wrote:I think the only way an NFL development league could find a niche is if they straight by passed college football.  Make it so you can go pro right out of high school, but if you aren't ready for the show you can be in a professional league with professional training and coaching at a lower level until they are ready.  I mean a guy like Clowney could be in the NFL right now instead of having to play another year in college.
Yeah, then we strip college football of 5 star recruits?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

S33 wrote:Yeah, then we strip college football of 5 star recruits?
Basically.  It would devastate college football, but it would really be the only way a development league works in my eyes.  Watching the very best of the 18-20 year olds in a AAA league before they end up on a NFL roster would be a heck of a lot more entertaining then watching a bunch of undrafted free agents or has beens trying to get the last roster spot on a NFL team.

I don't think anything like that ever happens, just the only way I could see it working.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Think Monte Te'o's girlfriend could have afforded the life-saving cancer treatment had he been a paid athlete in the "development league"?
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

iamjacobm wrote:Basically.  It would devastate college football, but it would really be the only way a development league works in my eyes.  Watching the very best of the 18-20 year olds in a AAA league before they end up on a NFL roster would be a heck of a lot more entertaining then watching a bunch of undrafted free agents or has beens trying to get the last roster spot on a NFL team.

I don't think anything like that ever happens, just the only way I could see it working.
A development league could work...but it won't "devastate college football".  Not when college football outdraws pro football.  The NBDL hasn't devastated college basketball.  College football has tradition and pomp/circumstance going for it.  It's not going anywhere.  The NFL has the highest quality of play.  A development league won't have either.  There's a niche for it and one that can make it work, but it's not going to kill either sport.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HskrFanMike wrote:A development league could work...but it won't "devastate college football".  Not when college football outdraws pro football.  The NBDL hasn't devastated college basketball.  College football has tradition and pomp/circumstance going for it.  It's not going anywhere.  The NFL has the highest quality of play.  A development league won't have either.  There's a niche for it and one that can make it work, but it's not going to kill either sport.
If the top 100 high schoolers every year could skip college for a paycheck it would hurt college footballs product.  Devastate was a bad word choice.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:
S33 wrote:

I think the only way an NFL development league could find a niche is if they straight by passed college football.  Make it so you can go pro right out of high school, but if you aren't ready for the show you can be in a professional league with professional training and coaching at a lower level until they are ready.  I mean a guy like Clowney could be in the NFL right now instead of having to play another year in college.

The NFL has tried a development league before.  Now you have the issues of concussions and such.  The NFL will not be getting into the minor/developmental league business again.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Re: 2012 Omaha Nighthawks

Post by Coyote »

Moglia now has Coastal Carolina at #1, recently vacated by N Dakota St.