2012 Omaha Nighthawks

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jag42
Library Board

2012 Omaha Nighthawks

Post by jag42 »

will there be a third season?  looks pretty gloomy.  UFL website has not been updated for months.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

No, there haven't been any updates on the UFL site. In fact, most of the sub-pages have dns errors. However I've heard there's supposed to be a March announcement of some sort. So I guess sometime in the next 13 days we'll hear *something*. Hopefully it involves Omaha because our GM left for the Eagles, Moglia jumped ship to Coastal Carolina and there's supposedly a "For Lease" sign in the office window. Same story in Virginia where they have also closed their offices.  

I wonder why they're building up to some March announcement though. Why bother if the UFL is just closing up shop? I'd love to have football in Omaha again but I'm not holding a great deal of positivity given the non-presence of the UFL and its teams.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think all of the Nighthawks stuff is $2.99 at Scheel's....

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:I think all of the Nighthawks stuff is $2.99 at Scheel's....

Greg

Cant be much left.  It was priced that way before Christmas
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

The league closed all the team offices form what the word was on there fourm, they wanted to try and save some money by merging the offices all together. They have been fairly silent on what's going on, hopefully they make an announcement by april how ever if don't say anything by june I think its over for the league as a whole, omaha has to find a new gm and coach before another season as well lucked out not losing our owner, will be sad if they fold was nice to have football here in town to go watch
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Lawlors has a bunch of stuff on clearance as well.  Somebody with access to the UFL's Facebook account posted this on March 1st.

We will be in touch soon, we are making progress behind the scenes towards kickoff this fall for our fourth season!
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

They have been posting that news is coming for a while now, there suppose to make an anouncement by the end of the month, and that is coming up fast here, no one seems to know what's gong on if they will have another season or not
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Shatel: Are Nighthawks closed for business?
Tom Shatel WORLD-HERALD COLUMNIST wrote:"There could still be a 2012 UFL season," Moglia said. "The owners are enthusiastic about making it work. They've talked to the NFL, although I don't think anything serious has been discussed at the highest levels there. They are looking at a lot of options right now. It's a matter of them finding a strategic partner to make a major investment of capital.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

Hold the obituaries. The United Football League is still alive.

Despite the resignation of commissioner Michael Huyghue, losses of more than $120 million in its first three years and rumors that it would fold, the UFL will return in 2012, league founder Bill Hambrecht said Friday.

"We're moving forward," said Hambrecht, the Las Vegas Locomotives' owner. "We fully expect to play."

An official announcement is expected around May 1. The league will conduct a meeting April 16 in Las Vegas to finalize plans for the season.
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/ufl-not-done ... 16555.html
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Some awfully brave investors.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah that's pretty interesting.  If they play at TD this year.  Hopefully MECA gets a chunk of their cost up front in case the season blows up before it finishes.  I wonder if they are still planning a move to spring.  If so it would not make sense to play in Omaha this Fall since they would not have a place to play in the spring.

Greg
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

At this point there saying there going to play again in the fall, no talk of moving to spring next year but if the league does Omaha in boned and no one seems to know what they would do then. Word is that there is an official announcement coming May first on the the 2012 season, league is suppose to go back to five teams
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

According to the paper today the UFL is meeting in Vegas to iron things out for the 2012 season.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

When the UFL says it's meeting in Vegas, do you think they've gotten small enough to just use a hotel room vs a conference room.  Maybe just a 4 or 6 top table at the hotel lounge. :)

Greg
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Here is is the middle of June and no word from the UFL....even though they were going to have an announcement at the beginning of May....doesn't look good.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Everybody willing to admit now this team isn't playing this Fall?

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I did about 2-3 weeks ago...then Mike'l Severe started tweeting about it again.

I just don't see how the Nighthawks pull it off in 2-3 months.  Until they have a viable plan, there's no point in playing this year.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

If they do come back, I don't think an August start will possibly happen. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised by a mid-November timeframe.

However, I just don't see them coming back at this point. They continue to be way too quiet, and I think they've rode off into the sunset at this point.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

As another possibly-related data point, the web site for the Las Vegas Locomotives, another UFL team, has been malfunctioning for some time.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They are going to have to do it without the NFL owning the league.  With the concussion mess going on no way the NFL takes on more players that could have long terms costs with head injuries.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

There were teasing something about the Nighthawks on the 1620 afternoon show.  Had to go to a meeting.  Did anyone here it or was it more than goodby?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

All I heard was the tease as well.
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

We need to be preparing to bring an nfl team here. not settling for ufl
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

The KobeRaptors.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

koberaptor wrote:We need to be preparing to bring an nfl team here. not settling for ufl
Show me a billion dollars (buy a franchise, build a stadium), and then we'll start talking.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The OWH sent out a breaking news email saying the UFL snd the Nighthawks will be playing this fall. Posting from my iPad so not going to link anything right now.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Report: Nighthawks plan return with UFL
Steven Pivovar, World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:The Omaha Nighthawks and the United Football League will open for business in 2012.

A person with knowledge of the situation told The World-Herald on Friday night that the 4-year-old league intends to play this fall. Omaha, a UFL member the previous two seasons, again will field a team.

“Omaha will return,” the person said. “They plan to announce the details in the coming days that will include the schedule, where they’ll play and who will be on the staff.”

The person said the league will announce that it intends to play an eight-game schedule. The starting date for the season is still to be determined.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The where they will play part was interesting.....

Greg
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

wonder if they'd move to UNO's Caniglia Field?  or stay at TDAPO?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It would have to be TD, Canigilia is all torn up.

Greg
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Greg S wrote:It would have to be TD, Canigilia is all torn up.

Greg
I believe the construction at Canigilia will be done mid August. Still not sure if it would be usable though.

http://www.unogateway.com/news/caniglia ... BAlgGlWpbY
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ShawJ wrote:

Greg
I believe the construction at Canigilia will be done mid August. Still not sure if it would be usable though.

I heard they have already removed the bleachers on the north and east sides...
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Brad wrote:
ShawJ wrote:

Greg

I heard they have already removed the bleachers on the north and east sides...
Oh, never mind then. Standing room only?  :D
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Maybe they're considering some of the area high school football fields.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/cbs-spo ... um=twitter

CBS Sports Network To Air United Football League Games
CBS Sports Network and the United Football League announced an agreement today that will bring the four-year-old league’s games to a national television audience. CBS Sports Network will televise two games per week every Wednesday and Friday live throughout the UFL’s eight-week season, culminating with the Championship game in late November. Coverage kicks off on Wednesday, Sept. 19 and Friday, Sept. 21. CBS Sports Network, the cable home of CBS Sports, is available to more than 99 million households across the country.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Anybody see this comment in the story lol?

"My son and I don’t agree on much. He, a fastidious conservative in the mold of Alex P. Keaton and I, a flower child who was born in the wrong generation. We’d bicker to the point where both of us have tears streaming down our faces and our throats are ready to close up from all of the yelling. But last fall, a little miracle named the UFL helped save my family as for one afternoon, the pain and suffering of our lineage was mitigated by the superb running game of our Las Vegas Locomotives. Sure, we don’t see eye to eye on much, but I know that every time when we hang up the phone and he finishes with “Go Locos”, it really means, “I love you, dad”. So today, with this announcement, I hope that other families can find the healing that I did."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coverage kicks off on Wednesday, Sept. 19 and Friday, Sept. 21.
How the heck to day hire a coach, sell season tickets, field a team, set up camp, hire a staff, and book the trade in less than 2 months?

The last night of RedSky the trade was running out of stuff because it was the "last night of the year" according to the lady at the concession stand.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Swift wrote:http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/cbs-spo ... um=twitter

CBS Sports Network To Air United Football League Games
CBS Sports Network and the United Football League announced an agreement today that will bring the four-year-old league’s games to a national television audience. CBS Sports Network will televise two games per week every Wednesday and Friday live throughout the UFL’s eight-week season, culminating with the Championship game in late November. Coverage kicks off on Wednesday, Sept. 19 and Friday, Sept. 21. CBS Sports Network, the cable home of CBS Sports, is available to more than 99 million households across the country.

That's a big development, having a large network backing it. Hopefully this finally succeeds, I have my doubts...but I can hope!

The early turn-around time with the season starting so soon seems odd.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I wonder if the UFL is getting any money from CBS Sports for the games?

Greg
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Greg S wrote:I wonder if the UFL is getting any money from CBS Sports for the games?

Greg
I have no facts to back up my assessment, but I guarantee the UFL is getting paid, if for no other reason than that a TV station is only a mechanism with which to sell ads. And you can only sell ads if you have content. So basically, TV stations buy content to convert them to ads.

Basing it off the NFL (from numbers found on google), NFL gets $3.785 billion per year from all TV contracts (in the 2010 season). There are 256 total games per year, which calculates out to $14,785,156 per game in revenue from the TV networks (feel free to check my math, it's not my forte). If we say the UFL has a value of 10% of the NFL, then that would be...what...$1.4 million per game? And the 2011 UFL season was supposed to have 12 games, so...$16.8 million per year in revenue from CBS Sports Network.

All speculative, of course. 10% is probably generous.