2012 Omaha Nighthawks

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Swift wrote:
Greg S wrote:I wonder if the UFL is getting any money from CBS Sports for the games?

Greg
I have no facts to back up my assessment, but I guarantee the UFL is getting paid, if for no other reason than that a TV station is only a mechanism with which to sell ads. And you can only sell ads if you have content. So basically, TV stations buy content to convert them to ads.

Basing it off the NFL (from numbers found on google), NFL gets $3.785 billion per year from all TV contracts (in the 2010 season). There are 256 total games per year, which calculates out to $14,785,156 per game in revenue from the TV networks (feel free to check my math, it's not my forte). If we say the UFL has a value of 10% of the NFL, then that would be...what...$1.4 million per game? And the 2011 UFL season was supposed to have 12 games, so...$16.8 million per year in revenue from CBS Sports Network.

All speculative, of course. 10% is probably generous.
In previous seasons the UFL had to buy their way on to TV.  I know they got behind on their payments to Mark Cuban's channel......

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Greg S wrote:
Swift wrote:
Greg S wrote:I wonder if the UFL is getting any money from CBS Sports for the games?

Greg
I have no facts to back up my assessment, but I guarantee the UFL is getting paid, if for no other reason than that a TV station is only a mechanism with which to sell ads. And you can only sell ads if you have content. So basically, TV stations buy content to convert them to ads.

Basing it off the NFL (from numbers found on google), NFL gets $3.785 billion per year from all TV contracts (in the 2010 season). There are 256 total games per year, which calculates out to $14,785,156 per game in revenue from the TV networks (feel free to check my math, it's not my forte). If we say the UFL has a value of 10% of the NFL, then that would be...what...$1.4 million per game? And the 2011 UFL season was supposed to have 12 games, so...$16.8 million per year in revenue from CBS Sports Network.

In previous seasons the UFL had to buy their way on to TV.  I know they got behind on their payments to Mark Cuban's channel......

Greg
Yep.  They actually paid quite a bit to try and get their name out there.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Swift wrote:

Greg

All that being said in year 1 & 2 I am sure that the UFL PAID the networks they were on to carry the game.  They WERE the advertiser.

And as for the value compaired to the NFL   Probably more like 0.0000005 %
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

nebugeater wrote:
Swift wrote:

Greg

All that being said in year 1 & 2 I am sure that the UFL PAID the networks they were on to carry the game.  They WERE the advertiser.

And as for the value compaired to the NFL   Probably more like 0.0000005 %
Good point on both counts. Though from what I've been able to find they only paid production costs, which doesn't make them an advertiser as much as it makes them a production partner, but it's still unusual and shows a lack of confidence on the part of the Network.

Also, I clearly did no research before offering those numbers, as I had no idea the UFL's ratings were so poor: http://www.adweek.com/news/television/c ... eal-142226
The UFL’s ratings were modest at best—according to Nielsen, the very first game (California Redwoods-Las Vegas Locomotives) drew merely 205,000 viewers on Versus.

The ratings picture didn’t get any prettier in 2010. Over the course of eight Thursday night UFL games, Versus averaged just 78,000 viewers.
I was trying to compare those numbers to regular CBS Sports Network numbers, but was unable to find any online, because:
While no one is expecting NFL-size ratings for the UFL, the deal gives CBS Sports Network more live sports content to go along with its coverage of Major League Lacrosse and Professional Bull Riding. At any rate, the network does not offer ratings guarantees to its advertisers, as its deliveries are not officially measured by Nielsen.

And then there's this: http://www.sunbiz.org/scripts/liendet.e ... n_seq=0001
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Home Games at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha.

2012 schedule

Week 1 (All times Eastern)
Wednesday, Sept. 19: Sacramento at Las Vegas, 9 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 21: Virginia at Omaha, 7 p.m.

Week 2
Wednesday, Sept. 26: Virginia at Las Vegas, 9 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 28: Omaha at Sacramento, 11 p.m.

Week 3
Wednesday, Oct. 3: Omaha at Las Vegas, 9 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 5: Sacramento at Virginia, 7 p.m.

Week 4
Wednesday, Oct. 10: Las Vegas at Sacramento, 9 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 12: Virginia at Omaha, 7 p.m.

Week 5
Wednesday, Oct. 17: Las Vegas at Omaha, 9 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 19: Sacramento at Virginia, 9 p.m.

Week 6 (games Tuesday and Thursday)
Tuesday, Oct. 23: Sacramento at Omaha, 9 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 25: Las Vegas at Virginia, 6 p.m.

Week 7
Wednesday, Oct. 31: Omaha at Las Vegas, 9 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 2: Virginia at Sacramento, 9 p.m.

Week 8
Wednesday, Nov. 7: Las Vegas at Sacramento, 9 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 9: Omaha at Virginia, 9:30 p.m.

Championship game
Friday, Nov. 16. Site to be determined, 9 p.m.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wow more games than I expected.  I actually might go to a few, crowds might not be as good as they used to be with their mess last year but they are a fun cheep time.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Any anouncement on ticket prices yet?  ( I have not looked)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

also. now that they have a schedual and a place to play the easy stuff remains,  All they need are players, coaches, staff, training location, marketing. ect and they will be ready to play!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:also. now that they have a schedual and a place to play the easy stuff remains,  All they need are players, coaches, staff, training location, marketing. ect and they will be ready to play!
The easy stuff? :;):

Its going to be impressive if they can put a team together and get them competitive in 50 days!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:also. now that they have a schedual and a place to play the easy stuff remains,  All they need are players, coaches, staff, training location, marketing. ect and they will be ready to play!
The easy stuff? :;):

Its going to be impressive if they can put a team together and get them competitive in 50 days!

Wonder where the influx of funding came from?  Can't see it being the TV contract.  At best I see that as a break even thing.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

From the owners.  Pelosi and Co are loaded.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

2011 Nighthawk OC was promoted to HC for 2012, Bart Andrus.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:2011 Nighthawk OC was promoted to HC for 2012, Bart Andrus.
Where did you hear that?  The FB Page and the Web Site have nothing on them...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:2011 Nighthawk OC was promoted to HC for 2012, Bart Andrus.
Where did you hear that?  The FB Page and the Web Site have nothing on them...
http://espn.go.com/united-football-leag ... four-teams
UFL spokesman Larry Weisman also announced Wednesday that Bart Andrus is the new coach of the Omaha Nighthawks. Andrus was the team's offensive coordinator in 2011.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Someone from the Nighthawks was just on 1620 and he no mention of any coaches...
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

They announced the coach last night on the news, whatever station we had on, I forget. :)

Do they even have enough players for a team?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Omababe wrote:They announced the coach last night on the news, whatever station we had on, I forget. :)

Do they even have enough players for a team?
They have Maurice Clarett... If they don't have enough players, he'll just steal the ball and go home.
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

Hey Guys! It's Brian from Myth. As I'm finishing up a Sports Management degree (only 3 weeks left!), I've taken a position with the Nighthawks for the 2012 season. Lots of stuff that is happening behind the scenes right now. Coaching and front office staff are in place. The crazy part is...the players aren't even an issue right now. In a league like this, most players are in NFL training camps right now and as players are released, they will be looking for other opportunities. Of course, there are some players that don't travel to camps and they are already showing up in Omaha. This year is shaping up differently than others and that's a good thing (I was an intern last year). No matter what has happened in the past, when the UFL kicks off this year, history will be made. No other Professional Football League (except the NFL) has survived to kick off a 4th season in the United States. It was a rough road and many people have invested money, sweat, and time...looks like it is starting to pay off. Enjoy!

If anyone would like to volunteer or intern for college credit, hit me up at brianmurzyn@yahoo.com
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Is everything set with MECA to play at TD?

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:Is everything set with MECA to play at TD?
Not yet, still working on it.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120808/SPORTS/708089816
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

Greg S wrote:Is everything set with MECA to play at TD?

Greg
Dotting i's and crossing t's....the Nighthawk schedule is already showing on the videoboard outside the stadium, so it must be close.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Can't wait. Itching to renew my season tickets. Another Nighthawk first down.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bart Andrus, head coach
Don Lawrence, assistant to the head coach
Matt Griffin, offensive coordinator
Ron Heller, offensive line
Art Valero, running backs
Steve Heimann, wide receivers
Robert Hunt, tight ends

Pete Kuharchek, defensive coordinator/linebackers
Rex Norris, defensive line
Richard Kent, defensive backs
Travis Andrus, special teams
Russ Purnell, special teams
Mike Morand, defensive quality control
Matt Boockmeier, director of football operations

"We have talked to Troy Smith, and he does have some interest in possibly returning," Andrus said. "Anytime you have continuity from one season to another - with a quarterback, in particular -that's going to go a long way toward improving on numbers for the next season."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Team tryouts this Saturday.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Team tryouts this Saturday.
Team or cheerleader team tryouts?  Saw a release about cheer tryouts I thought was this weekend but haven't seen anything about players.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yeah, I saw the cheerleader tryouts a few days ago, but this is:
The Omaha Nighthawks will hold open team tryouts for the 2012 season Saturday, Aug. 18, at the Kroc Center, located at 2825 Y Street.

Registration will begin at 7:30 a.m. Punters, kickers and long snappers will begin their workout at 8 a.m., followed by offensive and defensive linemen at 9:30 a.m.; running backs, tight ends, linebackers and quarterbacks at 11 a.m.; and wide receivers, defensive backs and quarterbacks at 12:30 p.m.

Prospective players should allow ample time to register and warm up prior to their start time. All athletes must sign a waiver of liability to participate. There is a UFL standard fee of $80 for each player.

The 40-yard dash and pro shuttle will be timed during the workout, which will take place on a pro-lined artificial sport-turf surface.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Cool.  Hope they can get decent players.  One thing about the league IMO is that the player level was pretty solid. I wounded if the uncertainty of last year will keep some talent from signing on.

Coyote wrote:Yeah, I saw the cheerleader tryouts a few days ago, but this is:
The Omaha Nighthawks will hold open team tryouts for the 2012 season Saturday, Aug. 18, at the Kroc Center, located at 2825 Y Street.

Registration will begin at 7:30 a.m. Punters, kickers and long snappers will begin their workout at 8 a.m., followed by offensive and defensive linemen at 9:30 a.m.; running backs, tight ends, linebackers and quarterbacks at 11 a.m.; and wide receivers, defensive backs and quarterbacks at 12:30 p.m.

Prospective players should allow ample time to register and warm up prior to their start time. All athletes must sign a waiver of liability to participate. There is a UFL standard fee of $80 for each player.

The 40-yard dash and pro shuttle will be timed during the workout, which will take place on a pro-lined artificial sport-turf surface.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Over 100 people tried out today.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:Over 100 people tried out today.
Out of curiosity, about how much does a pro football player make playing for the Nighthawks?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omababe wrote:
Coyote wrote:Over 100 people tried out today.
Out of curiosity, about how much does a pro football player make playing for the Nighthawks?
It was 50K for the season, not sure if that changed after the rocky offseason.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Will be interesting to see what the salaries are and the types of players they get.  The first year of the Nighthawks the excitement really got going when they signed Jeff Garcia and Ahman Green.  The second year we had Maurice Clarett.  They need to have some players with name recognition.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I would bet once the NFL rosters are set there will be a few "name" players that are either on their way Up, Down, or trying to get back that will play in the UFL for a chance to show their skills to get back to an NFL roster.  If you wnat back it beets 100% training time to show your skills.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

any ticket info yet?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nighthawks’ coach no stranger to tight schedule
Steven Pivovar World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:Camps could open next weekend, which would give teams about three weeks to prepare for the start of the season. The Nighthawks have submitted a preliminary 70-man training camp roster to the league, but Andrus expects plenty of changes in the coming days as National Football League teams begin paring their rosters.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Seeing how it is 24 days until game day you would think that they would have ticket info out.  At least cost and a date that they can be purchased.  The schedual is now on there web site as current but every link that referes to tickets goes to a page that says comming soon.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

nebugeater wrote:Seeing how it is 24 days until game day you would think that they would have ticket info out.  At least cost and a date that they can be purchased.  The schedual is now on there web site as current but every link that referes to tickets goes to a page that says comming soon.
From Shatels column today sounds like they still don't have a lease signed with TD.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cp jay 07 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Seeing how it is 24 days until game day you would think that they would have ticket info out.  At least cost and a date that they can be purchased.  The schedual is now on there web site as current but every link that referes to tickets goes to a page that says comming soon.
From Shatels column today sounds like they still don't have a lease signed with TD.

Guess I need to read the OWH.   Time is running out isn't it?  Maybe they will end up at Werner park.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

nebugeater wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:

Guess I need to read the OWH.   Time is running out isn't it?  Maybe they will end up at Werner park.
Most high school fields are bigger...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The 53 man roster and practice squads are now set in the NFL, so we should see some activity on the Nighthawks roster.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Their new website is now live:
http://www.omahanighthawks.com