USFL Omaha

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

USFL Omaha

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like another league is looking to take the UFL place and do things a little different.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... or-league/
The USFL is back.

No, it’s not an April Fool’s joke.  The four-letter league from the 1980s that started with modest aspirations and then allowed success to go to its head, prompting a Trumped-up failed competition with the NFL and a successful lawsuit that yielded just enough to buy 60 percent of a five-dollar footlong, plans to return as a true NFL minor league.

52-year-old Jamie Cuadra has acquired the brand, and he plans to launch a cost-conscious league with teams in cities that have neither pro football nor major league baseball.
Players will receive $3,000 to $3,500 per game, far more than the Arena League pays.  And the NFL will have “unfettered access” to the players, allowing them to leave whenever they want.

Target cities include Akron, Ohio, Portland, San Jose, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, Austin, Texas, Memphis, Raleigh-Durham, N.C., Birmingham, Ala., Omaha, Neb., and Baton Rouge, La.  The USFL also hopes to hire a Commissioner with “Hall of Fame credentials,” with Cuadra in the background running the business.
If the UFL is going away I hope this gets a shot in Omaha.  It probably wont get the same fan support as people will be a bit jaded, but a few downtown football games are welcome from me.  What ever the league calls themselves.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Only way they play downtown in the spring is at Central High School.  I just don't see the NCAA condoning football being played at TD Ameritrade Park anytime from April through June.  After July 1, they won't mind...but prior to that...  no way.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I missed that they want it as a spring league.  Damn.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

iamjacobm wrote:I missed that they want it as a spring league.  darn.
Spring? For football?

That's ... that's uh, that's un-American!