2012 Nebraska Football!!

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Linkin5 wrote:Wow, the defense is at cosgrove levels of bad so far.
Yeah, the old read and react defense.  The DB's have improved enough to become aggressive on D again, just that we haven't been.  Time for a scheme change.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

the only thing that's gonna save this team is the fact that the entire B1G looks like total |expletive| offensively. I haven't seen worse defense since Cosgrove against Texas Tech, circa 2006 ish.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube][/youtube]
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That INT just gave me flashbacks of last year's Wisconsin game.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:That INT just gave me flashbacks of last year's Wisconsin game.
Deja Vu.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:That INT just gave me flashbacks of last year's Wisconsin game.
Deja Vu.
Martinez is playing 500 right now.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Give up 56 freaking points.  This defense cannot handle fast QBs.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

As Streets might say, the Huskers have slithered into the toilet of misery.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

NovakOmaha wrote:As Streets might say, the Huskers have slithered onto the freeway of misery.
FTFY
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Papuchis has to go.  I am tired of Pelini promoting guys with no experience at coordinator positions.  It is almost pompous that he thinks the guys around him and groomed are better than outside established coaches that are available.
mikeymartin1979
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mikeymartin1979 »

These are not your granddad's blackshirts. Super sad performance by our D last weekend. :(
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

mikeymartin1979 wrote:These are not your granddad's blackshirts. Super sad performance by our D last weekend. :(
Used to get some key recruits for skill positions in defense (Safety, etc).  Used to get a lot of big farm kids who were stoked to wear red and were totally into hitting people.  The combination of 8 guys just happy to be there and 3 guys looking for NFL shots made the Defense the Blackshirts.   Now there are hardly any Nebraska kids out there.

Anyone remember the last season where the D linemen and the line backers used to get "pancakes" for particularly good sacks?  We need a Defensive coach who knows how to drive west out of Lincoln, and can out recruit Chadron State, and who knows how to make pancake batter.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Heard on Sports Nightly that the Huskers are looking at playing a game in either Wrigley or Soldier Field in 2014.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

joeglow wrote:Heard on Sports Nightly that the Huskers are looking at playing a game in either Wrigley or Soldier Field in 2014.
It was a Tom Shatel column a few days ago.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

joeglow wrote:Heard on Sports Nightly that the Huskers are looking at playing a game in either Wrigley or Soldier Field in 2014.

A lot of sources covered this in the last 24 + hours.  Seem to be very much in th eearly stages with the 2014 Northwestern game being the target game.  Everything I have heard so far says that Northwestern has not been part of the conversation yet.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... gley-field

Nebraska will travel to Evanston to take on Northwestern on Saturday at Ryan Field, and it could be the last time the division rivals meet in Evanston for a while.

According to Tom Shatel of the Omaha World Herald, it's possible Nebraska and Northwestern could be meeting at Wrigley Field in the future.

“There have been no discussions [with Northwestern],” said athletic director Tom Osborne. “As of right now, we're just talking about possibilities. We've also talked about playing Northern Illinois in Chicago [at Soldier Field].”

If the game did happen, it would not be the first Big Ten game played at Wrigley Field. Northwestern hosted Illinois there in 2010. I covered that game and, while it was a bit of a logistical nightmare -- only one end zone could be used due the other end zone's proximity to a giant brick wall -- it was a great atmosphere for a football game.

Also, the owner of the Chicago Cubs, Tom Ricketts, is an Omaha native who is a Nebraska fan and just happens to live in Evanston. So it would only make sense that he'd be interested in the idea.

The idea being discussed -- and only discussed on the Nebraska side as of now -- is a lot different from the idea coming to fruition. If both schools did agree to the game, something would have to be done about the end zone situation, as the novelty of only being able to use one end zone would wear off quickly.

ANd the OWH story

http://omaha.com/article/20121015/HUSKE ... 59886/1001#
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

As long as they can arrange the field so both teams don't have to go the same direction on offense.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:As long as they can arrange the field so both teams don't have to go the same direction on offense.

That and the capacity is even smaller than the home field for Northwestern isn't it?  

How about Soldier field?  Wouldn't that be more logical from a game prespective.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

after the close win at northwestern, I think it is safe to say that nebraska's toughest opponent is themselves
Go Cubs Go
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That helmet to helmet call was BS.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Linkin5 wrote:That helmet to helmet call was BS.

The call was spot on with the rule as written. The issue is the rule leaves no room for situations like that where the Off player is going down on his own.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebugeater wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:That helmet to helmet call was BS.

The call was spot on with the rule as written. The issue is the rule leaves no room for situations like that where the Off player is going down on his own.
You basically proved my point, unless its flag football there is no other way he could have made that tackle.

Football is getting dangerously close to becoming so officiated that it will be unwatchable.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Games will eventually degrade to Pro Bowl level of play.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Linkin5 wrote: Football is getting dangerously close to becoming so officiated that it will be unwatchable.
Yes. The officiating somtimes is becoming a conflict of interest with the game.  (which is not good)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The problem becomes where you aim to hit. You try to aim for the shoulders or take out the knees but a quarter second after you aim for your spot the target changes. Can you judge intent? When the defender set his target, but it was changed by a receiver's move... You could even go as far as saying this could be - if coached right - equivalent to NBA's flop problem. Almost.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:The problem becomes where you aim to hit. You try to aim for the shoulders or take out the knees but a quarter second after you aim for your spot the target changes. Can you judge intent? When the defender set his target, but it was changed by a receiver's move... You could even go as far as saying this could be - if coached right - equivalent to NBA's flop problem. Almost.
Thank god the NBA is finally going to start fining players for flops.  I was watching a Premiere League soccer game this morning and it was hilarious, some dude got touched on his shoulder and he voluntarily flopped to the ground and then acted surprised when a card didn't get thrown up.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

People are going to downgrade this win because of the injury, but to be fair to Nebraska Rex was on the bench all game too.  Either way this was a monster win for Nebraska.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Denard wasn't exactly moving the ball, either. Minus the help from all the Nebraska penalties, Denard's drives were stale.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well there is a drive for the ages.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska vs Oklahoma '21 & '22
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:Nebraska vs Oklahoma '21 & '22
Maybe.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

And isn't it an away&away?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S33 wrote:And isn't it an away&away?
Wha?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

No, at OU in '21, at NU '22
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

You can't believe the whining from Penn State after the game.  They are also very much in denial about the Sandusky incident.  AND if you want to have fun, say something about Paterno....  

Personally, I think Tom Osborne always had way more class than Paterno.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

NovakOmaha wrote:You can't believe the whining from Penn State after the game.  They are also very much in denial about the Sandusky incident.  AND if you want to have fun, say something about Paterno....  

Personally, I think Tom Osborne always had way more class than Paterno.

TO has more class in one hair folicle than JoPa had total.   The two are not in the same league.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well, so much for playing Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl.
I just hope GA beats AL in the SEC.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bo Pelini on the Jim Rome Show at the bottom of the hour.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

They might as well just bolt that thing down in memorial, I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Well, I'll eat my hat.  After the OSU blowout I had them pegged for 7-5 at best.

Not sure if that says more about me or the rest of the Big Ten.
Stable genius.