2012 Nebraska Football!!

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

2012 Nebraska Football!!

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like the powers to be are thinking a bit outside the box for one home game in 2012.  Be interesting to see how far they take it.  IF it gets too bold it may free up some of these old time season tickets do to heart attacks!

Husker uniforms to get futuristic look
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120402/N ... istic-look

NU athletic director Tom Osborne told the Associated Press Monday afternoon that the Huskers will wear an alternate uniform in one of its home games next year. Osborne told the AP the unfinished design, by adidas, wasn’t “outlandish,” but it would look “futuristic.”

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I like this. TO never ceases to amaze me, he has done so many great things while in his short stint at UNL.  He has the perfect balance of maintaining tradition while moving towards the future.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I'm looking forward to seeing this design. Although I hope it is not an all black or all red design. Has any one found examples of some of Adidas' newer designs?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stole this from another board that is discussing this.  Though it was funny enough to share.

Just to take the final bit of air out of the balloon with regard to one of the oldest, stalest and weakest jokes of all time, I think the Huskers ought to come out of the tunnel that game wearing helmets with the letter "K" on them.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing this design. Although I hope it is not an all black or all red design. Has any one found examples of some of Adidas' newer designs?
Adidas does a good job of not going overboard like Nike does IMO.

Michigan wore this one last year.

ND dropped the shamrock on the helmet last season.

Here is a fan made Husker one which looks amazing it would infuriate the traditionalists though.
vargas
New to the Neighborhood

Nebraska Football 2012

Post by vargas »

I've heard lots of grumblings from Husker fans that another season of 9-4 or worse puts Bo squarely on the hot seat in their eyes.  Picked to finish 3rd in the Legends Division.  What's your prediction folks?

Personally, I don't feel that we will even reach the 9-4 record this year.  We have lost too much on defense and I don't see TM making the huge leap that the "experts" are saying he'll make this year.  I see an 8-5 season.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube][/youtube]
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Bo has maybe two years left to make some big time headlines or he is out.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

bigredmed wrote:Bo has maybe two years left to make some big time headlines or he is out.
I highly doubt that. The only way he has two years left is if we finish under .500 the next two years.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing this design. Although I hope it is not an all black or all red design. Has any one found examples of some of Adidas' newer designs?
All Red:

[youtube][/youtube]
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The conspiracy theorists want to know:

Is the lust for the color black on football uniforms behind the collapse of UNO's football program, so that UNL could just recycle the old uniforms?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

ShawJ wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Bo has maybe two years left to make some big time headlines or he is out.
I highly doubt that. The only way he has two years left is if we finish under .500 the next two years.
If we keep sucking at key elements of the game, such that teams that are arguably D2 at best can score at will against us, keep sheltering the girlfriends of our "star" quarterback from prosecution, and keep blowing big games by double digits, he won't have the support to go sub 500 two years in a row.

Pelini has little in the way of cache' in the bank.   NU has to recognize that the clock is ticking away.   They either do something in the Big 10  this year, or its going to be a struggle to recruit top talent going forward.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

bigredmed wrote:
ShawJ wrote:
If we keep sucking at key elements of the game, such that teams that are arguably D2 at best can score at will against us, keep sheltering the girlfriends of our "star" quarterback from prosecution, and keep blowing big games by double digits, he won't have the support to go sub 500 two years in a row.

Pelini has little in the way of cache' in the bank.   NU has to recognize that the clock is ticking away.   They either do something in the Big 10  this year, or its going to be a struggle to recruit top talent going forward.
Fair enough.

I guess I'm more lenient on Bo than others who follow the program a bit more closely. To me he seems like a young coach (in terms of head coaching experience) that needs some time to learn. Although the inconsistencies that you mention are a bit puzzling.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Recruiting, play calling, speed at certain positions, a quarterback who, when he throws, doesn't make people cringe, and so on.....

Osborne had some less than stellar years.  He also got better and never made predictions.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

NovakOmaha wrote:Osborne had some less than stellar years.  He also got better and never made predictions.
Yes, and I can clearly remember all of the flak he took for "Not being able to win the big one!"
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

TO inherited a national championship program, Bo inherited a mess.  We still almost ran TO off to Colorado in 1978.  Bo has more than a year.

Greg
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Greg S wrote:TO inherited a national championship program, Bo inherited a mess.  We still almost ran TO off to Colorado in 1978.  Bo has more than a year.

Greg
TO went two decades without a championship, after inheriting a national championship program so I'm at a loss as to that logic.  In 78 I was a student at UNL and two things are true:  1) He never intended to leave.  2) There were more than a few who were willing to help him pack.  It was a long road to the 90s.

Bo might have more than a year but it would be nice to see progress.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

While TO took decades to win NCs he was winning conference championships on a regular basis.  I like Bo and by no means think he should get fired barring some really bad seasons, but the program really needs to not get complacent finishing second or 3rd in the division and playing in the Capitol-One Bowl.  Bo needs to get to Indy fairly soon, like 2013.  All the cards are in place for a special 2013.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

iamjacobm wrote:While TO took decades to win NCs he was winning conference championships on a regular basis.  I like Bo and by no means think he should get fired barring some really bad seasons, but the program really needs to not get complacent finishing second or 3rd in the division and playing in the Capitol-One Bowl.  Bo needs to get to Indy fairly soon, like 2013.  All the cards are in place for a special 2013.
By "cards" you mean a cakewalk schedule?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

S33 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:While TO took decades to win NCs he was winning conference championships on a regular basis.  I like Bo and by no means think he should get fired barring some really bad seasons, but the program really needs to not get complacent finishing second or 3rd in the division and playing in the Capitol-One Bowl.  Bo needs to get to Indy fairly soon, like 2013.  All the cards are in place for a special 2013.
By "cards" you mean a cakewalk schedule?
That among other things.  You expect Martinez to be better as a fourth year starter than he was last year, the WR group should be stacked, only one real contributor on the o line is a senior this year.  Cornerbacks will be practically the same squad in 2012 and 2013.

We will see how 2012 goes though.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

One of Nebraska's highest ranked recruits for 2013 is transferring from his high school in College Station, TX to Lincoln Southwest for this season.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Here it is Sunday evening and I have no clue who UNL played yesterday, or who won.  Life is good.
lnkS
Home Owners Association

Post by lnkS »

nativeomahan wrote:Here it is Sunday evening and I have no clue who UNL played yesterday, or who won.  Life is good.
:roll:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nativeomahan wrote:Here it is Sunday evening and I have no clue who UNL played yesterday, or who won.  Life is good.
Why did you post in here then?  Pretty childish.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Great game yesterday.  Loved the playing calling then the execution of those plays.

Greg
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Linkin5 wrote:
Why did you post in here then?  Pretty childish.
Because I thought perhaps this thread, titled as it is, would give me the answer, without my having to turn on local TV "news" when I return to Nebraska.  It didn't.  So I guess I am not a lone wolf.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

So if you were happy that you did not know, why did you go looking for the answer?

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Anybody hear when Bo said Tim Marlowe is "day to day, week to week".  Thats a pretty positive spin on a BROKEN CLAVICAL.  I love his generalities.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I guess I thought he said that about Burkhead... I was thinking he said Marlowe would be 'a few weeks' (sounds like it will be end of October at earliest).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

WR looks deep, not terribly worried about Marlowe.  Hopefully Burkhead is all good pretty quick, I guess he is pretty adamant about playing this Saturday.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:I guess I thought he said that about Burkhead... I was thinking he said Marlowe would be 'a few weeks' (sounds like it will be end of October at earliest).

On the post game interview with the EXCLUSIVE netowork he said basicly the same thing for both guys as I heard it.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:WR looks deep, not terribly worried about Marlowe.  Hopefully Burkhead is all good pretty quick, I guess he is pretty adamant about playing this Saturday.
Yeah we are stacked at WR.  I selfishly wish they'd burn Westerkamp's RS, I can't wait to see him play.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm really hoping we don't need Jordan or Tommy this year.  Would love to see both redshirt.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Anybody going to the game this weekend?  I actually know quite a few people that are flying out, should be a lot of red.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

a buddy of mine invited me, but he's going down Thursday so he can watch Johnny Stanton(sp?) play Friday. Not missing two days of work to see a HS football game... :?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S33 wrote:a buddy of mine invited me, but he's going down Thursday so he can watch Johnny Stanton(sp?) play Friday. Not missing two days of work to see a HS football game... :?
There was a article on owh about how many husker fans were there, Stanton's grandpa thanked the fans that came in the comments section of the article.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Wow, the defense is at cosgrove levels of bad so far.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:Wow, the defense is at cosgrove levels of bad so far.
This defense is a freaking joke tonight.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Wow, the defense is at cosgrove levels of bad so far.
This defense is a freaking joke tonight.
Only got worse.  What is going on with Bo and his D?