Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

2012 College World Series

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

2012 College World Series

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/CWS_ ... 99715.html
College World Series tickets for the 2012 season go on sale April 14.

Baseball fans will be able to purchase a book of 10 General Admission tickets for $80, to view the games at T.D. Ameritrade Stadium.

Those tickets will be made available through area service clubs, all Hy-Vee supermarket customer service counters, the CenturyLink Center Omaha box office and some other locations throughout the metro area, as well as online by visiting http://www.ncaa.com/cws.

General Admission tickets are for non-guaranteed seats in the right outfield and left outfield bleachers, which are located in Sections 125 through 136. That section's got a capacity of about 5,500.

Once those bleachers are filled, admissions will be restricted; however, fans will still be allowed through the gate intermittently to fill unused GA seats or as people leave the stadium.

“GA tickets are not designated for a specific session or date and these seats will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis,” said Carol Foreman, ticket manager of CWS of Omaha, Inc. “As long as the ticket holder arrives early enough to be seated, the tickets are good for all games, including CWS Finals games.”

Customers can pay to upgrade $11 General Admission tickets to reserved seating on game day, depending on seat availability. However, they will be limited to four ticket uprades.

Standing room on the concourse is also available on a game-by-game basis.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

CWS starts one day early, but games will be later

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120424/C ... l-be-later
Steven Pivovar WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Swimming forced baseball fans to alter their schedules while attending this year’s College World Series at TD Ameritrade Park.
Soccer will do the same.

Much was made back in 2009 of the change in CWS dates necessary to reduce conflict with the 2012 U.S. Olympic swimming trials, which begin June 25 at CenturyLink Center. The CWS will begin Friday, June 15, a day earlier than usual. The series also will end a day earlier than usual, on either June 25, or June 26.

Less talked about is the fact that individual CWS game times also will be altered in order to allow ESPN to televise the EURO 12 soccer championships. ESPN also broadcasts the CWS.

Game times on days when there are doubleheaders will be 4 p.m. and 8 p.m., as opposed to 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. in previous years. Games on days when a single game is scheduled will start at 7 p.m., an hour later than usual.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That will make for some late nights.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:That will make for some late nights.
They did it several years ago at it was late.  College games seem to last longer anyways.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think 4pm and 8pm make more sense anyway... I would consider taking off work early to attend the 4pm games versus an entire afternoon... and if this temperature trend holds true... an 8pm start is going to make for much more comfortable evening session games.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Dork Chatelain of course is one of the few people complaining about this, he even went with Omaha's all time favorite excuse for things "Think of the kids". He then even said they should just move the series to ESPNU, yes lets take Omaha's 10 day primetime national spot and move it to a channel which is a extra expense on most cable outlets so probably 50% less could see it. I know a lot of people who just turn on ESPN and watch whatever is on it, I don't know a lot who just turn to ESPNU.

The 8 O'Clock night start is going to be perfect in my opinion, comes on at 9 on the East, 8 Central, 7 Mountain, and 6 pacific, a more primetime national spot. After living in mountain time last year I realized how inconveniant it is to live closer to the west coast for early sporting events, I would get home from work at 5:30/5:45 and the 6 O'clock game would already be in the 3rd inning, I can imagine that people in the pacific time zone were getting home close to the end of the game.

Also the 5 hour rosenblatt games are done, if anything we saw last year this is a pitchers park so I expect not all the games to go 4 hours like Dork thinks.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Dirk sounds like a bit of a whine baby.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm with Dirk on this one.  I hate the 8PM start time.  We all know it's not going to start on time.  Brutal if you have to work in the morning.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S33 wrote:Dirk sounds like a bit of a whine baby.
Its one thing all sports fans in Nebraska and Iowa agree on no matter who they cheer for, dirk chatelain is a d0uche.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We all know who Omaha is going to be cheering for.  Stony Brook Seawolves knocks off LSU.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Arizona, UCLA, Florida, Florida St, Stony Brook, and South Carolina have punched their tickets.
Kent is up by 2 on Oregon. Baylor and Arkansas are scoreless. I wonder how Van Horn will be received if they make it.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

iamjacobm wrote:We all know who Omaha is going to be cheering for.  Stony Brook Seawolves knocks off LSU.
Consider me on the bandwagon.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Arizona, UCLA, Florida, Florida St, Stony Brook, and South Carolina have punched their tickets.
Kent is up by 2 on Oregon. Baylor and Arkansas are scoreless. I wonder how Van Horn will be received if they make it.

Probably no different than in 2009 and 2004 when if memory serves me correct he was treated very well.   For the most part I think the Husker baseball fans understand that he left to go "home" and accept that as a reason.  If it would have been for a different southern school my guess is the "welcome" would be different.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stony Brook
UCLA

Arizona
Florida St

Kent St
Arkansas

South Carolina
Florida
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:
Coyote wrote:Arizona, UCLA, Florida, Florida St, Stony Brook, and South Carolina have punched their tickets.

Probably no different than in 2009 and 2004 when if memory serves me correct he was treated very well.   For the most part I think the Husker baseball fans understand that he left to go "home" and accept that as a reason.  If it would have been for a different southern school my guess is the "welcome" would be different.

That's right.  Loved what Van Horn did here and understood why he left.  I don't know any fellow Husker fans that don't appreciate Dave.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is awesome!

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/06/13/brow ... -to-omaha/
Cribbs — the former Kent State football player and current Cleveland Browns wide receiver — bought 53 CWS tickets and rented a charter bus. Now he’s inviting fans to fill the open spots for a three-day trip.
Pay $150 and you get a seat on the bus, food and drink for the trip, a hotel room Friday night, a T-shirt and a ticket to Saturday’s game (Kent State plays Arkansas at 4 p.m). Not bad right?
Cleveland to Omaha — that’s more than 13 hours on a bus. But there will apparently be games, music and movies to entertain. Plus, it appears that Cribbs will be there, too.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't remember the street signs last year.  8 streets in downtown have signs of the team nicknames.  Farnam is Razorback Ave for example.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

So far according to a KETV poll, the favorite is Stony Brook. Doesn't surprise me much.

Who is your College World Series favorite?
Arizona - 6% (43 votes)
Arkansas - 7% (55 votes)
Florida - 5% (35 votes)
Florida State - 5% (35 votes)
Kent State - 5% (37 votes)
South Carolina - 12% (93 votes)
Stony Brook - 56% (418 votes)
UCLA - 5% (37 votes)

And someone finally made the connection to the neighborhood in SW Omaha:
Fans Excited Over "Local" CWS Team
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

FYI, The CWS Circulator is Free to First National customers that show their FNB Check Card.
First National Bank wrote:Thank you for being a valued customer of First National Bank. Whether you're headed to the big college baseball championship or simply enjoying the festivities downtown, First National Bank wants to make your experience more enjoyable by allowing you to ride the Metro Stadium Circulator for FREE. Just show the bus driver any First National Bank debit or credit card between June 14th and June 25/26, and your ride is on us.

The Stadium Circulator is a 10-minute bus loop that runs everyday during the baseball championship games. It connects downtown parking garages with the Old Market and TD Ameritrade Park.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I'm sure this happened in Omaha offices everywhere with all the newly minted Stony Brook fans.

[youtube][/youtube]
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nice to see a little more HRs so far this year.  9 total last year and 3 in 3 games so far this year.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

No kidding!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

almighty_tuna wrote:No kidding!!
I forgot the one Arkansas had earlier in the game make that 4 so far.  Although I think they have a been in the bullpens.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Slide Show from Last Night's FSU game:

http://www.seminoles.com/view.gal?id=121276

I was hired by FSU for the 2012 CWS.

Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

OSILayer8Support wrote:So far according to a KETV poll, the favorite is Stony Brook. Doesn't surprise me much.
Well, for those who don't know my background, that was the team I was cheering for.

Depressing game last night! (LOTS of empty seats!) Kinda bummed to see them take two absolute hammerings this early in the series.

Oh well ... :(
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

They had some tough pairings right off the...um...bat. Both were really tough losses for any CWS team, let alone a first timer. Unfortunately they won't be back next year since they're losing 7 starters (mostly juniors) to the draft. I don't know that Kent will do much better. I'm saying Arizona and SC in the final.

I've got some pics of SB's games over at whiteandbluereview.com and the Stony Brook website. Here's one from yesterday.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Gallery from the FSU vs SBU game on Sunday:

http://www.seminoles.com/view.gal?id=12 ... tYear=2011

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photos from last night's FSU game at the CWS.

http://www.seminoles.com/view.gal?id=12 ... tYear=2011

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Nice grab. I had a fantastic shot of that play as well, but the 3rd base coach seemed to feel it was more important for me to feature his rear in the center of my frame.  :?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Here are some thoughts of mine...

Espn had some really good shots last night from the pedestrian bridge.  also noticed the big green first national logo (not sure how long it has been there) when we were walkin to our car and if it was there only for the cws.  

and has anyone seen any attendance figures?
Go Cubs Go
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

thenewguy wrote:Here are some thoughts of mine...

Espn had some really good shots last night from the pedestrian bridge.  also noticed the big green first national logo (not sure how long it has been there) when we were walkin to our car and if it was there only for the cws.  

and has anyone seen any attendance figures?
Listening to the game last night on the radio ( 8PM game) while at the Stormchasers game they said that as of the last game last night attendance was down about 12K from a year ago through the same game.  They also said that almost all if not all of it could be atributed the the Wed night game that got pushed to 11AM on Thur.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They are all over the pedestrian bridge tonight.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

thenewguy wrote:also noticed the big green first national logo (not sure how long it has been there) when we were walkin to our car and if it was there only for the cws.
They had that last year for the CWS as well. Likely projected from the smaller FNB building across Dodge. It's a laser.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Here's a gem from yesterday

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

South Carolina vs Arizona. Here we go !
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:South Carolina vs Arizona. Here we go !
Should be a heck of a series!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

almighty_tuna wrote:
thenewguy wrote:also noticed the big green first national logo (not sure how long it has been there) when we were walkin to our car and if it was there only for the cws.
They had that last year for the CWS as well. Likely projected from the smaller FNB building across Dodge. It's a laser.

Last year they also lit up the top of FNC in green a la the holiday season.  Maybe they thought it was overkill with the logo too.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That was awesome.  I got a good shot of it in the bull pen I will get posted up later.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Date Night at the ball park.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote:That was awesome.  I got a good shot of it in the bull pen I will get posted up later.
I was next to the grounds crew guys on the 3rd base side posing them over the walkie talkie.  :lol:  Your angle was way better than mine for that though. haha love shenanigans