Tom Shatel in OW-H: Shatel: If OKC can thrive in the bigs,

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jag42
Library Board

Tom Shatel in OW-H: Shatel: If OKC can thrive in the bigs,

Post by jag42 »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120610/N ... an-t-omaha

this column coming from a guy who seemed all too happy the Omaha Aksarben Knights left Omaha in 2007.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

The Oakland A's are looking at moving to Omaha?  WHAT?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Hey id go a bunch.  bring git on.
Go Cubs Go
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

"First, our facilities. The CenturyLink Center seats 17,272 for hoops, about 1,000 less than the Chesapeake Energy Arena in OKC (18,203). MECA President Roger Dixon said CLC would be on the “small side” but would work in the NBA or NHL. Omaha might have to add to the 32 suites, but could, Dixon said."

Where would you add 32 Suites? At the top? The Budzone?

And the Oakland A's coming to Omaha? Wha?

Interesting.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I dare anyone to go find something on this "internet" that Shatel speaks of mentioning the A's coming to Omaha.  The only reference I could find (granted, didn't look real hard) was on a rumor site from 2009.

MLB coming to Omaha is about as likely as Shatel actually having used an internet.
Stable genius.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Big E wrote:I dare anyone to go find something on this "internet" that Shatel speaks of mentioning the A's coming to Omaha.  The only reference I could find (granted, didn't look real hard) was on a rumor site from 2009.

MLB coming to Omaha is about as likely as Shatel actually having used an internet.
Dare accepted, two days ago from Oakland Tribune (not saying this means anything though).

http://www.insidebayarea.com/oakland-tr ... ers-editor
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

I typed "Oakland A's Omaha" into google and all I came across was a letter to the editor (Oakland Tribune) stating there was some chatter on Omaha sports-talk radio about how nicely the A's would fit into TD Ameritrade Park.  Then the letter went on to state if the A's owner didn't want to sell to Warren Buffett, the A's owner might want to move himself to Omaha as he would "love our city and world-class ballpark".

So a letter to the Oakland Tribune editor is enough to get people thinking the A's might move to Omaha I guess.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Sorry folks, but it ain't happening. OKC is about as small market as it gets for the NBA and they have 400K more people in there MSA than Omaha. As has been mentioned before, Omaha's media market is something like 77th. Plus people there didn't even support the AHL team. Unless uncle Warren or somebody like that wants to buy a team and subsidize the heck out of it, it isn't happening. Even then, it isn't happening. Did I mention it isn't happening?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

....so what exactly is it you're trying to say?

;)
Go Cubs Go
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

the1wags wrote:Sorry folks, but it ain't happening. OKC is about as small market as it gets for the NBA and they have 400K more people in there MSA than Omaha. As has been mentioned before, Omaha's media market is something like 77th. Plus people there didn't even support the AHL team. Unless uncle Warren or somebody like that wants to buy a team and subsidize the heck out of it, it isn't happening. Even then, it isn't happening. Did I mention it isn't happening?
I'm not ready to say never but take a look down I-29.  The Sprint Center was built specifically to house an NHL and/or and NBA team.  Years later the locker rooms sit vacant and the best thing you can say about KC's chances are that a few other teams have used the Sprint Center as leverage to either get new arenas and stay or get new arenas and move to a larger market than KC.  Always a bridesmaid.

As to Omaha, if someone with deep enough pockets were interested (read, Rickets and he bought the Cubs), I'm sure it could happen overnight.  Is it a money making proposition?  I personally don't see it.  Of course, I could be wrong.

P.S.  "Our longtime contemporary and peer has had a big-time makeover and wears the major league look well."
When I was more active in the Omaha Chamber TULSA was our peer and we even had a contest to see which Chamber could add the most new members.  We never saw OKC as our peer, always Tulsa.  On the other hand, Mike Kelley went with his best hand and what do the unwashed masses in Omaha care which city in Oklahoma is Omaha's peer?
Last edited by NovakOmaha on Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

NovakOmaha wrote: As to Omaha, if someone with deep enough pockets were interested (read, Rickets and he bought the Cubs), I'm sure it could happen overnight.  Is it a money making proposition?  I personally don't see it.  Of course, I could be wrong.

As odd as it sounds, I think there is an outside chance an NHL or MLB team COULD work here. The state and areas in Western Iowa are starved for any pro-team....I think there is an outside chance it could work into a money making franchise.

Very, very outside chance.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Take a look at any other Major League Ballpark and compare it to TD Ameritrade.  Besides the obvious seating capacity, club seats, and luxury box dilemma, the place just plain doesn't have the "feel" of a major league ballpark.  Evidence to that fact is the overall cost of the facility.  $125 million is barely a quarter of what new MLB stadiums run these days.

Also did the google search after posting that this AM, nothing.  

Now the Qwest Center does feel like a professional arena, but like others mentioned, why would a league go to Omaha over KC?  They wouldn't.  The place is move in ready for an NHL or NBA team.  Omaha would have to put 100 mil into the place first.  Think the taxpayers of Omaha would be willing to spend another $100 million after having already invested 500 million into the CL/TDAP/Hilton?  Doubt it.

Besides, Omahans will not spend $50 bucks to see the Omaha whatevers take on the Golden State Warriors or Columbus Blue Jackets.  

Fun thought, but the fact that he thinks it will happen in his lifetime is ridiculous.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Take a look at any other Major League Ballpark and compare it to TD Ameritrade.  Besides the obvious seating capacity, club seats, and luxury box dilemma, the place just plain doesn't have the "feel" of a major league ballpark.  Evidence to that fact is the overall cost of the facility.  $125 million is barely a quarter of what new MLB stadiums run these days.

I agree completely on this... I really wish they would add SOMETHING to increase the character of TD Ameritrade, especially in the outfield. Fountains, trees, some unique vending structures...SOMETHING.

That said, I don't think it would take 100 million more to get the CenturyLink to NHL or NBA Caliber.. (or were you talking about 100 for both the Centurylink and TD Ameritrade to get up to Pro levels?)
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Where there is smoke, there is fire:

It's an open secret the Omaha Storm Chasers (Class AAA; Pacific Coast League) have been on the market, but it now appears a sale of the team is imminent.

The purchasers, which includes an investment banker already with an ownership stake in a short-season A team, is in the final round of negotiations to buy the team, despite scuttlebutt that a sale has already been consummated.

Storm Chasers President/GM Martie Cordero sent along the following comment:

"It is true that a business group is in negotiations to acquire the Omaha Storm Chasers.  As the discussion and negotiations progress through the required channels of the Major League Baseball, Minor League Baseball and the Pacific Coast League, we will provide you with updates. All other information is confidential at this time."

The Storm Chasers are owned by Bill Shea, Warren Buffett and Walter Scott. The purchase presumably involves Shea's part of the team.

There may also be some pleasant surprises associated with a sale, we hear.

http://ballparkdigest.com/201206084998/ ... ge-of-sale
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Define "pleasant surprises".
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

HskrFanMike wrote:Define "pleasant surprises".
They leave town opening the way for the Iowa Cubs to come to TDAPO.   :popcorn:
Stable genius.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Omaha, Nebraska: The Next MLB, NBA, or NHL Expansion City?
J.P. Scott wrote:What you will find, however, is a rabid population of sports fans who show up in droves when it matters.

The first evidence of this can be found on a winter night inside downtown Omaha’s CenturyLink Center. The Creighton University men’s basketball team plays home games there. The Blue Jays perform in front of average crowds of over 13,000, often exceeding 17,000. This places them in the top 25 in national attendance every season. That’s not bad for a mid-major Missouri Valley team whose main rivals are Northern Iowa, Wichita State, and Southern Illinois.

The University of Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks hockey team, who also plays home games at the CenturyLink Center, average nearly 8000 in attendance. That was good enough for fourth in the NCAA last season, trailing only tradition powers Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Minnesota.

The bottom line is this: If the owners of struggling professional sports teams are looking for a market with passionate and dependable fans, they should look at Omaha, Nebraska. Centrally located, ready to expand, and full of enthusiasm, Omaha is open for business.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good to see some national publicity...even though the numbers are off (Creighton averaged over 16,600 at their games).
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Bleacher Report, huh?

Guess it's just a matter of time before the Yankees are playing in a new stadium in Gretna.
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big E wrote:Bleacher Report, huh?

Guess it's just a matter of time before the Yankees are playing in a new stadium in Gretna.
We don't want they Yankee's in GRETNA!!!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Good to see some national publicity...even though the numbers are off (Creighton averaged over 16,600 at their games).
Bleacher Report is pretty much as reputable as that newspaper opinion column link I posted.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Take a look at any other Major League Ballpark and compare it to TD Ameritrade.  Besides the obvious seating capacity, club seats, and luxury box dilemma, the place just plain doesn't have the "feel" of a major league ballpark.  Evidence to that fact is the overall cost of the facility.  $125 million is barely a quarter of what new MLB stadiums run these days.

I agree completely on this... I really wish they would add SOMETHING to increase the character of TD Ameritrade, especially in the outfield. Fountains, trees, some unique vending structures...SOMETHING.

That said, I don't think it would take 100 million more to get the CenturyLink to NHL or NBA Caliber.. (or were you talking about 100 for both the Centurylink and TD Ameritrade to get up to Pro levels?)

I think it would take significant money to upgrade the the Link to NHL and NBA calibler.  You'd have to at least double the amount of suites (without losing overall capacity).  You'd need more club style seating as well.  Along with having to build a practice arena for the team.

I love the NHL but you're talking serious bucks to take a family to a NHL or NBA game.  I'd rarely go to the NBA.

Greg
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Linkin5 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Good to see some national publicity...even though the numbers are off (Creighton averaged over 16,600 at their games).
Bleacher Report is pretty much as reputable as that newspaper opinion column link I posted.
I know. But I came across it and had to post it.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Greg S wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

I think it would take significant money to upgrade the the Link to NHL and NBA calibler.  You'd have to at least double the amount of suites (without losing overall capacity).  You'd need more club style seating as well.  Along with having to build a practice arena for the team.

I love the NHL but you're talking serious bucks to take a family to a NHL or NBA game.  I'd rarely go to the NBA.

Greg
I agree, the pros are out of budget for about 80% of the families in town.  When KCO Kings were here, the schedule and the cost conspired to crush attendance here.   Need to be sure that we have a market for the Tuesday night games at full price.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Speculation can be fun, but let's be realistic. It doesn't matter how many fans show up for the games. It is about building a profitable brand, and to do that, you need a lot of people buying in. Omaha is a decent sized city, but the regional market is very small in comparison to about 30 other cities who have yet to land any big league teams.

If you are under the age of 30, maybe in your lifetime.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Big E wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote:Define "pleasant surprises".
They leave town opening the way for the Iowa Cubs to come to TDAPO.   :popcorn:
As much as I'd like that (being a Cub fan), that ain't happening unless I win the Powerball tonight.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Playing in this theoretical world.

I don't think the cost would be to prohibitive for Omaha.  Omaha would come in the bottom fifth for prices in the league no doubt.  If people are willing to spend $35 a pop for lower bowl tickets I don't see why those same people wouldn't pony up for $50 NBA tickets.  Talk about a social event.

On baseball prices KC Royals have cheaper tickets than Creighton does.  I can get a ticket to the Royals for 8 bucks, 10 bucks for Creighton.  

I really think some of you are underestimating the value of being "seen" in this city.  Since Creighton is the hot ticket it is important to be there for a lot of people with money.  The same would apply to a pro league.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

A pro sports team would do awesome here, it would just potentially come at the cost of other established teams of Nebraska and the metro, which understandably I can see why those with deep pockets would be hesitant to try and bring in a club.

I am still confused why Tampa Bay has a MLB team, they have poor facilities and fan support even when they are good.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Linkin5 wrote:I am still confused why Tampa Bay has a MLB team, they have poor facilities and fan support even when they are good.
They are the #14 TV market. End of story.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

ThatGuy wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I am still confused why Tampa Bay has a MLB team, they have poor facilities and fan support even when they are good.
End of story?  You may want to ask the owner why they are possibly looking to move the team due to that poor fan attendance and Tropicana Field.  TV market size is nice, but it won't get you too far if you your city doesn't care about the team.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Let's hear some objective talking points as to why Omaha could support a professional team, of any sort.

Green Bay Packers aside (because they were found in 1919, supported by a packing company, and this was before it was a "big money" league), there are NO examples in recent history of markets/cities the size of Omaha supporting such teams, what makes Omaha different?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Linkin5 wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:
End of story?  You may want to ask the owner why they are possibly looking to move the team due to that poor fan attendance and Tropicana Field.  TV market size is nice, but it won't get you too far if you your city doesn't care about the team.
I agree with that.   I don't follow the KC Royals at all.  When they come on the TV, I change the channel.   I can't figure out why being in a big market is such an asset if everyone in that market thinks your team stinks and changes the channel when your team is on.   Any marketing person want to give me a hand in understanding this?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S33 wrote:Let's hear some objective talking points as to why Omaha could support a professional team, of any sort.

Green Bay Packers aside (because they were found in 1919, supported by a packing company, and this was before it was a "big money" league), there are NO examples in recent history of markets/cities the size of Omaha supporting such teams, what makes Omaha different?
We live in an area of the country where there is no other major draws, no mountains or oceans.  As well this part of the country loves sports and supports a major college program, and it is my opinion would support a major league program.  Minor league sports are nice but it just doesn't have the same inticement.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Tom Shatel in OW-H: Shatel: If OKC can thrive in the bigs,

Post by iamjacobm »

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13256 ... mlb-future
Montreal, Charlotte, North Carolina, San Antonio, Portland, Oregon, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, northern New Jersey, Mexico City or Monterrey, Mexico, are among the markets that could eventually land on baseball's radar as potential locations for new or relocated franchises.
Ok, so Omaha wasn't mentioned, but I have to think we would be more attractive than some of the other cities mentioned. Are they really going to consider doubling up the OKC market with two franchises? Vegas is a bunch of transplants, they will get the same support that FL teams get. I get that Omaha is a smaller market than these cities, but I have always thought getting 100% market share of a smaller city would be better than playing second or third fiddle in a bigger market. Maybe I am wrong. Kind of shocked Austin isn't put above SA either.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Charlotte would be my choice out of the cities listed. OKC I don't see supporting two pro teams, Montreal didn't support the team before, Las Vegas no, Portland and San Antonio would work, and I don't see the MLB realistically ever going to Mexico.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Linkin5 wrote:Charlotte would be my choice out of the cities listed. OKC I don't see supporting two pro teams, Montreal didn't support the team before, Las Vegas no, Portland and San Antonio would work, and I don't see the MLB realistically ever going to Mexico.

I think Charlotte would be a contender. Montreal had a horrible, horrible stadium. The two franchises hurt the most by the 1994 strike in my opinion were Montreal and Kansas City. Both were playing fantastic baseball at the time, Montreal was never the same, and KC basically dismantled and went into lockdown mode until they got there ownership situation settled. Both fanbases were really really disenfranchised with baseball after losing that season. Baseball has never really seemed to catch on in Portland. Also I think the Portland franchise would face an uphill struggle, they'd have to share their revenues in the way the Nationals do with the O's. I could see the second one coming down to San Antonio or Montreal.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

For what its worth Charlotte just built a brand new AAA stadium DT. Have no idea if it is like Indy where it can be expanded easily or if they will build another new DT stadium.

Portland has never supported baseball and would have Seattle to contend with so we can probably scratch that one. Plus they seem to be on this soccer fad after kicking the beavers out of the stadium to make it soccer specific.

I think if Montreal got the DT stadium they were talking about building before it failed and ownership sold to MLB they could be a real contender here. Everyone remembers the Expos drawing poorly in the end but you have to remember it was a league owned team playing in a run down stadium and playing games in Puerto Rico sometimes. The Expos were actually a decent franchise for a while and the spring training games being played in Montreal are drawing really really well.

OKC is tarping the upper deck at Bricktown for Dodger games now and have been having attendance problems. They are in the same boat as Memphis, in the spring/early June they can't draw against the NBA and in the fall everyone focus' on football, that leaves them with a month or 2 to actually draw. This would be the same thing that San Antonio would have to compete with. The Spring Training games in the Alamodome did not draw as well this year I believe.

Vegas is interesting cause I think it could actually work but the 3 other Major sports are going to hold off until they see how the NHL experiment goes. I know the 51's draw absolutely awful but put a stadium on the strip instead of one in the ghetto and you could be onto something.

Unfortunately for Omaha it comes to down to whether we want the CWS or MLB. There is no doubt in my mind we could support it even with KC being 3 hours away but if a team played at TD Ameritrade we would lose the Series and I really don't see Omaha having 2 25 thousand plus stadiums considering people lost their minds having one and a 6'000 seat stadium in the burbs.

The one thing I have thought about Omaha for, and this sounds terrible and I don't wish this to happen of course, but Omaha would be a top contender for a team if a Katrina like event happened to an MLB stadium and they needed to relocate for a year. There are not that many 25 thousand seat baseball specific stadiums that are readily available in July, August and September. It is a terrible thing to think about but that is how OKC got on the map for the NBA.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

In the crazy hypothetical that we would get a MLB franchise I would absolutely tell the CWS goodbye and add 10k to the stadium to get to 35k.