Big 10 Grows again

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Big 10 Grows again

Post by nebugeater »

There is a 1:30 central time press conference just anounced that will be on the Big 10 network.  It is to anounce that maryland will be joining the Big 10.  Their Regents aproved this AM
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I'm good with Maryland but please do not add Rutgers.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Linkin5 wrote:I'm good with Maryland but please do not add Rutgers.
Why not?  If anything I'd want it exactly the opposite of what you said.

Either way, it's 100% about TV sets.  Nebraska should count itself incredibly lucky to have been in on the ground floor of the realignment nightmares, because there's more coming and no one in their right mind would leave the Big Ten and it's TV contract.
Stable genius.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm happy to see both of them join. It seems like it could only be good for Nebraska. Mo' money, mo' money.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Hearing that Ill will move to the Legends dicision and MD and RT will join the Leaders.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Big E wrote:

Either way, it's 100% about TV sets.  Nebraska should count itself incredibly lucky to have been in on the ground floor of the realignment nightmares, because there's more coming and no one in their right mind would leave the Big Ten and it's TV contract.
Because I am looking at it as someone who doesn't want a subpar athletic program in the B1G, rather than how many television sets it adds.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

From what I just heard both of their academic programs are better than NU's. Both athletic programs are cash stressed, but bring a huge market. So will BTN now carry Lacrosse?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Rutgers and Maryland are the only viable choices for expanding into the northestern seaboard market. That's another 50 million people added to the B1G market area, about equal to our entire market currently.

I'll take a few more cupcake games a year (assuming one year Nebraska will be good enough to have a cupcake conference game) and an increased revenue stream anyday.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Linkin5 wrote:
Big E wrote:

Because I am looking at it as someone who doesn't want a subpar athletic program in the B1G, rather than how many television sets it adds.
Then eliminate 7 or 8 current schools from the big ten.
Stable genius.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

So do you think we are heading towards super conferences? It sure looks that way to me.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Big E wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Big E wrote:

Then eliminate 7 or 8 current schools from the big ten.
You are saying there are 7-8 current B1G schools that have worse/on the same level athletic programs than Rutgers?  

Even if that was true then why water the league down even more?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Linkin5 wrote:You are saying there are 7-8 current B1G schools that have worse/on the same level athletic programs than Rutgers?
No. I'm saying there are 7-8 current schools with subpar athletic programs.  Not necessarily as bad as Rutgers, but definitely subpar.  Take NU, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State off the table and what do you have?  Even a couple of those are suspect if you're going to be really picky (and I include Nebraska on the suspect list over the last decade).  Guess part of it matters what you consider "sub-par", as well.  Having a good basketball team doesn't cut it in my book.
Linkin5 wrote:Even if that was true then why water the league down even more?
All of the above being said, it doesn't matter.  This is 100% about selling the BTN, and that depends on two things: football and TV sets.  Period.  End of discussion.  Rutgers and Maryland could bring a CRAPLOAD of the former.

Now, I readily admit this is a huge gamble, but if it pays off...  holy |expletive|.  I also kind of hope they have a good chunk of the deal put together behind closed doors and are just waiting for some formalities, but that's purely my speculation.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They were discussing it on the radio Yesterday.  Those 50+ Million TV sets times whatever the B1G charges cable providers to carry that channel was a |expletive| ton amount of money.  It was in the Millions of dollars per school per year.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

S33 wrote:Rutgers and Maryland are the only viable choices for expanding into the northestern seaboard market. That's another 50 million people added to the B1G market area, about equal to our entire market currently.

I'll take a few more cupcake games a year (assuming one year Nebraska will be good enough to have a cupcake conference game) and an increased revenue stream anyday.
Syracuse, BC, Pitt? Many more fans, tradition and Alumni $

Rutgers is a joke of a athletic program, they did a stadium expansion to go to 50,000 but not can't even sell tickets so they are in debt, and now they have to come up with at least 20 million or wait 27 months to join the B1G. Darren Rovel has been tweeting some great facts about how Rutgirls does NOT bring the B1G NYC, it brings them a couple douchey guidos in NJ who started following college football in 2007. Oh and their BBall program gets outdrawn by high school teams in NJ. Schiano is gone so it will be interesting to see what happens when Flood has to recruit against the likes of OSU and the rest of the B1G

As a Syracuse fan I think the ACC is a better fit being an East Coast school but Im worried on what happens when the 4 16 team super conferences start picking, tradition can only go so far.

Also kinda odd neither school has hockey considering the B1G just added hockey and is still only has 6 teams I believe. Thats where I thought BC had an advantage.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

cp jay 07 wrote:Darren Rovel has been tweeting some great facts about how Rutgirls does NOT bring the B1G NYC, it brings them a couple douchey guidos in NJ who started following college football in 2007.
The thing most are overlooking on this one is it doesn't have to be Rutgers fans in the NYC area or Maryland fans in the DC areas. It just has to be enough subscribers to "move the needle" as the following article points out:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... -is-itself

Again, a risk, but I think a very shrewdly calculated one.  Time will tell.  Nebraska wasn't added because of the 1.8 million people in Nebraska.  Nebraska was added because they are one of the few national brands that would light up cable providers' phones looking for the BTN.

Keep in mind NU was coming off it's worst decade of football in 60 years when they were added to the B10.  It's the same reason NBC kept showing Notre Dame during the 5-7 years of Bob Davies and the 3-9 years of Charlie Weis.
Stable genius.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A big thing is that News Corp9Fox Sports parent company) is now a huge stake holder in YES Network.  The talk is that they will leverage YES and B1G Network that you have to take both in the New York market.  If a Yankee fan wants to watch his team he is going to have to subscribe to B1G too.  The numbers there are something like 15 million households.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Big 10 Grows again

Post by Coyote »

With Maryland joining the B1G next year, people are watching the ACC Baseball tournament, where as #6 seed they have defeated #3 seed Virginia and #2 seed FSU to start.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ACC Championship

#9 Georgia Tech. 12:00
#6 Maryland. ESPN 2
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

With the subscriber agreements BTN has been signing in NYC, it appears Rutgers did bring in that TV market.

Greg
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

The only reason Rutgers were even offered into the B1G is because the BTN wanted the NYC market. :yes:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Exactly. However, some debated on here that it would deliver the NYC market. It did.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Exactly.  However, some debated on here that it would deliver the NYC market.  It did.

Greg
Would love to see what the contract cost is for these carriers vs carriers in the other B1G areas. That, and the jury will still be out on the # of viewers.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Well I can vouch for cable prices in NYC being about double what they are here.. so with that in mind I'm assuming they jacked the rates up vs other areas. For the most part though NYers aren't really into Rutgers and most identify with Penn State and Notre Dame being their favorite teams.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

guitarguy wrote:Well I can vouch for cable prices in NYC being about double what they are here.. so with that in mind I'm assuming they jacked the rates up vs other areas. For the most part though NYers aren't really into Rutgers and most identify with Penn State and Notre Dame being their favorite teams.

I would lean towards the per subscriber cost for the B1G network to be less in the NY area than in the rest of the footprint BECAUSE they are not screaming for it.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

While I do agree that would make more sense.. From what I observed in NYC is that these companies don't care at all to make things affordable in an attempt to get more subscribers. There is only 3 providers for the entire NYC Metro area ( Cablevision, Time Warner, DirectTv ) the first 2 are the more offending companies with unreasonable prices while DTV is cheaper and already has BTN.
Last edited by guitarguy on Tue May 27, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Can you even get DirecTV in the urban areas with all of the skyscrapers?

Listened to Jim Delany talk quite a bit this weekend about the expansion, and it isn't about Rutgers and Maryland, the schools. They are just vehicles that open up those metro areas. What the Big Ten wants to do is energize the alums of Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State in those markets, specifically by bringing those teams into those markets.

The BTN money is big. What's even bigger is going to ESPN/ABC, Fox, CBS, and NBC in a year or two, to talk about a new TV contract that energizes not only people in the midwest, but also has gained traction in New York City.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Well regarding DirectTv in Manhattan.. most people don't LIVE in Manhattan so its not as much of an issue with Satellite reception.. ( the people who do live in Manhattan pay ridiculous rent payments every month so an extra 50 a month on cable is nothing ).. It's pretty common in the other buroughs though.

NYC has a lot of rules about granting cable contracts and only grants a contract to the highest bidder and to the companies who employ only union workers. ( Messed up I know )
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Maryland and Rutgers are now officially members of the B1G. B1G now has East and West divisions. RIP Legends and Leaders.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dave Wannstedt is now part of the B1G Network? :roll:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Dave Wannstedt is now part of the B1G Network? :roll:

Well they always need someone to hold the Parabolic mike on the sideline
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

At the B1G Media day, 6 of the 14 radio stations covering the B1G are from Nebraska.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:At the B1G Media day, 6 of the 14 radio stations covering the B1G are from Nebraska.

OK, that is crazy
I would guess
1620 (omaha) since they are there for sure.
590 (omaha)
1240 AM ( lincoln) ??
1110 KFAB(omaha) are they counting them since Shawn Callahan is there but not really for them but as a reporting affiliate.
1400 (lincoln)

OK that would be five. Who else and who on this list is wrong?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:
Coyote wrote:At the B1G Media day, 6 of the 14 radio stations covering the B1G are from Nebraska.
ha! I was going to try to guess the 6 myself, but only came up with your same 5. Maybe a the Tri-City station?

OK, that is crazy
I would guess
1620 (omaha) since they are there for sure.
590 (omaha)
1240 AM ( lincoln)  ??
1110 KFAB(omaha) are they counting them since Shawn Callahan is there but not really for them but as a reporting affiliate.
1400 (lincoln)

OK that would be five.  Who else and who on this list is wrong?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Is The Bottom Line(OWH) technically radio? Online radio?