Official: Creighton joins the Big East!

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Official: Creighton joins the Big East!

Post by Coyote »

Big East turmoil could trickle down to SLU
STLToday wrote:The seven non-football playing members of the Big East met on Sunday to talk about their future, a future that could possibly include SLU.

The teams could potentially break away, leaving the football teams in some sort of weird hodgepodge while the seven basketball schools – DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova – revert to the league's roots.

If the Big East is going to add teams, the A-10 has the best candidates. Xavier would be atop the list, but Dayton, SLU and Butler would be close behind. Butler isn't Catholic, but is private and has more in common with the other teams than, say, public VCU, with an enrollment over 20,000. Creighton, in the Missouri Valley, would also be a candidate.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I remember reading an editorial about this somewhere (can't remember where now). I think they are probably better off staying in the Missouri Valley.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I remember reading an editorial about this somewhere (can't remember where now). I think they are probably better off staying in the Missouri Valley.
Andy Katz wrote an article in ESPN today that mentioned it.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

this would open up so many new doors for Creighton. I would love to see this catholic conference. CU would have the opportunity to play lots of great schools. I want this to happen!!! And create the Catholic Sports Network for broadcasts!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I remember reading an editorial about this somewhere (can't remember where now). I think they are probably better off staying in the Missouri Valley.
I think that was Shatel.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

lmdramos wrote:this would open up so many new doors for Creighton. I would love to see this catholic conference. CU would have the opportunity to play lots of great schools. I want this to happen!!! And create the Catholic Sports Network for broadcasts!
If you subscribe to that network, will it buy you some time out of purgatory?  I see some great advertising opportunities.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

lmdramos wrote:this would open up so many new doors for Creighton. I would love to see this catholic conference. CU would have the opportunity to play lots of great schools. I want this to happen!!! And create the Catholic Sports Network for broadcasts!
That's just what this struggling conference needs, is more exclusivity via religion.

That normally opens LOTS of recruiting doors.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

This conference wouldn't not be struggling if its created! It would instantly become one of the top 5 conferences in the country.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:
I think that was Shatel.
Yes, that was it.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

lmdramos wrote:And create the Catholic Sports Network for broadcasts!
Ask Texas fans how that is working out for them.  Even the Pac-12 Network is struggling with getting carriage.

If there is a Catholic league forming, their best bet is to work out a national deal with ESPN, NBC, or CBS...especially one that gets their games on one of the over-the-air networks on weekends.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sounds like the Catholic schools are about to ditch the Big East.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

iamjacobm wrote:Sounds like the Catholic schools are about to ditch the Big East.
Yep, that's what it's sounding like. Maybe Notre Dame found a home... minus football, of course.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Hope this happens...and includes creighton
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

lmdramos wrote:Hope this happens...and includes creighton
The talk right now is that if the league stops at 10 teams CU will most likely be left out.  If it goes to 12 CU is in.  We will see how it shakes out, CU has some legit east coast connections at the school right now.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

after reading through all the news articles it looks like Creighton might be left out. Hate for that to happen...it would be so great for Creighton if they did get an invite.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

looks like it will be a 10 team league with the catholic 7 adding Xavier, Butler, and Dayton. I know Marquette really wants Creighton in but the east coast schools have a different agenda. Plus, Xavier won't go anywhere without Dayton...that's why Dayton will get in over Creighton.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Good for Creighton, they have out-performed the MVC and probably deserve a better conference.  The only school I would feel bad for if left behind is Wichita State.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

It would be great. To bad they aren't going to get an invite though. Looks like Wichita State and Creighton will be stuck in a conference they have out grown for a little longer. Although, I do think there is a possibility Creighton could go the Atlantic 10 if they don't (and mostly likely won't) get an invite to the new catholic conference.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

lmdramos wrote:looks like it will be a 10 team league with the catholic 7 adding Xavier, Butler, and Dayton. I know Marquette really wants Creighton in but the east coast schools have a different agenda. Plus, Xavier won't go anywhere without Dayton...that's why Dayton will get in over Creighton.

Where did you see that Creighton is not being invited?

Greg
Jet915
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jet915 »

Recent SI article has Creighton as "near definite" about being invited.  Writer has a good track record of getting these things right.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... -7-future/
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I hope your right!
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Creighton would get pounded in the Big East.  Just because theyre the best in their current conference, doesnt mean they would succeed in another.  Creighton is waaaaaay overrated!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Silverspoon wrote:Creighton would get pounded in the Big East.  Just because theyre the best in their current conference, doesnt mean they would succeed in another.  Creighton is waaaaaay overrated!
I am not a Creighton fan, but if you think they are overrated you at least need to explain why.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Creighton has already made quick work of 2 Pac12 teams and 2 BigTen teams, not even halfway through the season. I think the idea of them being unable to compete outside of their conference has been debunked.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It also isn't exactly the Big East as we know it that they would join.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Nothing against Nebraska, but that was just a jealous Nebraska fan that doesn't want to see Creighton move to a better confernece.
Jet915
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jet915 »

Silverspoon wrote:Creighton would get pounded in the Big East.  Just because theyre the best in their current conference, doesnt mean they would succeed in another.  Creighton is waaaaaay overrated!
Couldn't be any worse than Nebraska in the B1G........... :lol:.  BTW, Creighton is 9-1 in the last two seasons against "BCS" teams.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

My explaination is simple.  Look at Creighton's schedule so far, and who they have beaten.  

Creighton beat Wisconsin, who lost to a low end Big East team.
 Creighton beat ASU, who lost to a low end Big East team.
 Creighton lost to BSU.
 Creighton beat St Joeseph, who did somehow beat Notre Dame, but lost to the worst team in the Big East.

Thats just so far this year!  If theyre lucky, they might make it past the first round of the tourney, then they will play a real NCAA team, and they will get beat up badly.  This is a horrible program, that has had a couple of bright spots in the past, and a little bit of luck here & there, but they arent made for major conference hoops.  BTW, they usually have a roster with about 30% of their players hailing from Iowa... :koko:

All of this said, I dont care for college hoops anymore since most of the players with talent end up playing one year and leaving, but before that was the case, I was a huge Arizona fan. :rant:
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

"Horrible Program" lol! You win.
Jet915
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jet915 »

Silverspoon, your logic is very flawed.  It's like saying Indiana sucks cause they lost to Butler who lost to Xavier who lost to Wofford.  Creighton plays who is on their schedule, they can't get Kansas, Duke or North Carolina to play them.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Jet915 wrote:Silverspoon, your logic is very flawed.  It's like saying Indiana sucks cause they lost to Butler who lost to Xavier who lost to Wofford.  Creighton plays who is on their schedule, they can't get Kansas, Duke or North Carolina to play them.
Transitive properties don't usually work to well in sports.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Jet915 wrote:Silverspoon, your logic is very flawed.  It's like saying Indiana sucks cause they lost to Butler who lost to Xavier who lost to Wofford.  Creighton plays who is on their schedule, they can't get Kansas, Duke or North Carolina to play them.
Thats because they wouldn't waste their time on them. It would be hilarious if Creighton played any team from Tobacco Road!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

That lousy Creighton team got off to a good start in conference play last night. I was a bit worried about Evansville.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Silverspoon wrote:
Thats because they wouldn't waste their time on them. It would be hilarious if Creighton played any team from Tobacco Road!
They played North Carolina in the tourny last year. lost by 14. If that isn't as "hilarious" as you thought it should be, then just throw Nebraska on that court, should prove to be a gut buster.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

As a Husker fan I know enough about bad basketball over the last few years to say that CU is not a bad basketball team.  They have a lot going for them and have had for some time know.  Sure they lost to NC by 14 but it was basicly a home game for NC too.  

If they get the chnace to make the Conf move and decide that it is the right thing to do I hope they make it.  It will do nothing but make them better in Mens Basketball.  Not sure what it will do to the other sports but that is what their AD deparment needs to figure out given the option.  One thing that will happen if tehy make the move is that recruiting will get even better.  They do fine recruting it seams but if they are recruting into a much more basketball based confernace they will have noew doors open up on the recruiting front.  They have the facilities, they have a fan base, they are a legitimate top 20 or better team and it will be fun to see how far they can go this year.  All that pains me to say as a Husker fan but it is the truth at this point.  I hope that the Hsukers can get the shipped righted but I wll also puill for CU in any game but against the Huskers.  Sorry if some of you don't think tha tis possible but it works for me.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Silverspoon wrote:

If Creighton makes the move to the new league, their strength of schedule won't need to add the schools from Tobacco Road.  And this is coming from a Husker fan, not a CU fan.

Greg
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

nebugeater wrote:I hope that the Hsukers can get the shipped righted but I wll also puill for CU in any game but against the Huskers.  Sorry if some of you don't think tha tis possible but it works for me.
Honestly, I think Tim Miles might be able to pull it off. I didn't think so at first, but with the players he's got, you can blatantly see that they are playing better basketball, but are completely outmanned.

I'd like to see them do well, but it won't be easy.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

S33 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I hope that the Hsukers can get the shipped righted but I wll also puill for CU in any game but against the Huskers.  Sorry if some of you don't think tha tis possible but it works for me.
Honestly, I think Tim Miles might be able to pull it off. I didn't think so at first, but with the players he's got, you can blatantly see that they are playing better basketball, but are completely outmanned.

I'd like to see them do well, but it won't be easy.
I have been a season ticket holder in Lincoln for 13 years.  When asked what I thought of the Tim Miles hire at the time my standard answer was " I will let you know in three years"  THere is a lot of similiarities to when Doc was hired except Doc was not using social media.  All that being said I like the signs so far and I like the way he responds to questions from the media and during post game comments.  We will see but baby steps are OK right now.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Can we just ban this clown. Obviously a troll not bringing any facts to the table.

Also sweet South Park caricature of yourself, didn't know those were still popular.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

cp jay 07 wrote:Can we just ban this clown. Obviously a troll not bringing any facts to the table.

Also sweet South Park caricature of yourself, didn't know those were still popular.
Wow, burn?   :shrug:

Im gonna quit :deadhorse: that is the feeble Creighton hoops program which is far overrated around here until tourney time.  If they make it, Ill check back on this thread.