Question for Crieghton Fans

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Question for Crieghton Fans

Post by Greg S »

Do you want to join Catholic schools that broke away from the Big East or stay in the Valley?  Really looking for CU fans opinions here.  Haven't really been able to get a feel for which way the CU fans or leaning on this one.

Greg
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

As a CU & general sports fan I would prefer to see Creighton in a competitive conference, regardless of religious affiliation, which would give them, and Omaha, a larger stage and exposure. Whether that's the Catholic conference or whatever. Though, in a conference like the MVC where CU is really the big fish in many sports, the advantage of getting NCAA bids from conference championships isn't a bad thing.

Thinking about the fan base, one negative I see about joining the Catholic conference is the travel. Most of those schools are way out east and conference championships would not be a quick drive to STL, no jaunts down I-80 for Drake or whatever. Not to mention the talk last year about the MVC conference looking for a new home and Omaha being in that mix. Bottom line for me is I couldn't care less if the Catholic schools want to have their own special sports club, but would rather see CU join it for the competitive advantage and not just to be "in the club". All that said, they ARE a Jesuit school, which is their own priority and identity.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

For me personally, I would love it because there is an extremely strong chance I could be going to DePaul next year and it would give me a nice connection home, since my dad works at Creighton and my brother is grad assistant for the soccer team, so I would be able to wear some Creighton Blue on some days! :)

But for Omaha and Creighton? Hard to say...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Not a fan, but am a fan of Omaha and it's economy.  Creighton is a big fish in an evaporating pond.   The Valley isnt competitive in a national level in any sport except mens soccer and bball, and if you take out Creighton, not even then.  

They and Omaha would be better served by a higher profile conference.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I would love to see them join the new big east. But what is this you talk about the MVC looking for a new home and it could be Omaha? This is the first I am hearing about this.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

How much benefit do you think being home to MVC would be to Omaha?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I don't think much with the MVC, though I was a little surpised how big the new Big 10 building is that's going up in Chicago.

http://www.ratioarchitects.com/assets/u ... arters.pdf
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Greg S wrote:I don't think much with the MVC, though I was a little surpised how big the new Big 10 building is that's going up in Chicago.

Yeah, because when I think of the B1G I think of Chicago
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Greg S wrote:I don't think much with the MVC, though I was a little surpised how big the new Big 10 building is that's going up in Chicago.

Yeah, because when I think of the B1G I think of Chicago
Is that sarcasm?