2016 U.S. Swim Trials

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: 2016 U.S. Swim Trials

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Phelps Diet: 12,000 calories / day
Apparently a few Adult Beverages too... Arrested for DUI.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Suspended for 6 months, is off the 2015 Championships team.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Phelps is competing again!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:Phelps is competing again!

As I said a page ago.... expect tickets to sell out even faster than they normally would have :lol:
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

This is such a great event to be hosting again. So good for downtown, the arena and the hotels.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is a really really cool article.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/omaha-s-wor ... 1c082.html
Unger said the feedback received from athletes after the ’12 meet also helped organizers decide Omaha was the place to be.

“We probably quizzed 25 to 30 athletes and asked them, ‘Hey, what do you think?’ ” Unger said. “Ninety to 95 percent of them said, ‘Why would you move it?’ ”
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great praise for the city of Omaha.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:This is a really really cool article.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/omaha-s-wor ... 1c082.html
Unger said the feedback received from athletes after the ’12 meet also helped organizers decide Omaha was the place to be.

“We probably quizzed 25 to 30 athletes and asked them, ‘Hey, what do you think?’ ” Unger said. “Ninety to 95 percent of them said, ‘Why would you move it?’ ”

That's really awesome. I think if we could keep this event like we do the CWS, can you imagine how awesome it would be?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

My cousin works for USO men's water polo. They want to do a demo game in Omaha during the trials, but US Swimming is blocking them. We need our local leaders to figure out how to add these guys in 2016. It would be cool to have both aquatic events and would get Omaha even more ink.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Olympic coaches glad to see Trials back in Omaha
“I’ll tell you one of my favorite things about Omaha is being out at a restaurant, talking to people in Omaha,” Marsh said. “It’s such a pleasant place with pleasant people, and you feel welcome in a genuine way.” “I think Omaha has put on the
two best swimming events that I’ve ever been to,” Marsh said. “First trials, then they outdid it the second time.”

“I think that we’ve already proven now with two trials that the environment in Omaha is absolutely electric and a tremendous place for people to make an Olympic team,” Bowman said. “I know as a coach, for me, the trials are much more stressful than the games themselves because you have to get the job done on a certain day.

“Omaha, and the trek to Omaha, for young kids all over the country has been almost like a Mecca move in swimming where people need to be there,” he said. “They need to get their eyes on that unique event, because it isn’t anywhere else like that. That’s a testament to the job that you guys have done in Omaha.”
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Already sold 150K tickets.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Ticket sales for 2016 Swim Trials off to fast start
Omaha Sports Commission President Harold Cliff said Tuesday that about 2,000 more all-session passes have been sold than at this point four years ago.
Cliff also said that booked hotel room nights already are over 26,000 for the 2016 Trials, which would be almost 2,000 more than 2012’s total. That should help with the overall economic impact for 2016 potentially approaching $40 million for Omaha.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Surfing in Omaha? You'll be able to at this year's U.S. Olympic Swim Trials
Surf Omaha is a portable pool that shoots water backward toward users, who can choose to lie on their stomach and arms on a boogie board or stand on a surfboard. The unit will be surrounded by an area for spectators to take photos and view surfers.

The cost to ride Surf Omaha hasn’t been determined, but Farrell expects it to be “somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 to $30,” he said. Riders will share a 30-minute session with seven other people, while in-water experts will be available to help teach.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That. Would. Be. So. Cool!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Pool upgrades mean swimmers won’t be only ones making debuts at U.S. Olympic Swim Trials
» Myrtha will no longer use the precast concrete blocks to form the base under the pool, as it did in 2008 and 2012. Instead, it will ship a prefabricated steel foundation with all holes pre-drilled at the factory, allowing the base and walls to be more easily pieced together in Omaha.

» The pools are now built with a “movable head wall” that can be adjusted even after being filled with roughly 1 million gallons of water. John Ireland of Myrtha Pools said it will be the first time that innovation is used in the U.S.

» The competition pool will be about a meter wider than the two others built in the CenturyLink Center, allowing for ropes on the outside of Lane 0 and Lane 9. Those lanes, only used in some preliminary morning swims, previously were bordered by the walls.

After the Trials, the warmup pool will be headed to a facility in West Fargo, North Dakota. Ireland said the competition pool also has been sold, but the name of the buyer has not yet been made public.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald story today:
Around Omaha, the extra visitors add to an estimated 29,000 hotel rooms already booked in conjunction with the Trials. That figure was around 23,500 in 2012.
And only a small amount of tickets remain for the final session July 3, making a complete sellout possible after three sessions sold out in 2012.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Tickets for Olympic swimming trials in Omaha nearly sold out
KETV wrote:USA Swimming says that thanks to “unprecedented demand,” the first seven days of the trials are sold out.

Fewer than 600 tickets are available for the last session on July 3.

According to USA Swimming, in 2012 there were three sold-out sessions, and there were none in 2008.

The strong sales guarantee that Omaha will set a new American attendance record for a swimming event, according to USA Swimming.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

"Also, fans will be treated to special performances from ”O” by Cirque du Soleil, the aquatic masterpiece seen in Las Vegas."

Letting my rainbow flag fly.....YASSSSS KWEEENNN. That will be amazing.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is amazing that it is nearly sold out. I can understand that last day being a little tougher sell since a lot of people are holding their 4th of July parties that day and the Storm Chasers fireworks and College Home Run Derby and fireworks are that same day.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:That is amazing that it is nearly sold out. I can understand that last day being a little tougher sell since a lot of people are holding their 4th of July parties that day and the Storm Chasers fireworks and College Home Run Derby and fireworks are that same day.

All that and this is not a novelty being the third time in town. Great news though. Hope those with tickets fill the seats!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yeah, I am continually amazed at the support the Omaha community gives events like this. I know we have heard it time and again, but that is why they keep coming. The amateur events loved to have crowd support and in very large cities that just doesn't happen. Examples of this in Omaha include (CWS, US Swimming Trials, NCAA College Volleyball Finals, NCAA basketball 1st/2nd round and regionals, The International Horse Competition)

The Centurylink Center has proved to be an amazing asset to the community.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Attendance figures like that encourage things to return year after year. So that's some really good news!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

U.S. Swim Trials officials hoping final-night pageantry brings complete sellout at CenturyLink Center
As of Monday, fewer than 600 tickets remained for the Trials’ final session on July 3. The first seven days, and 14 sessions, already have been sold out.

Current ticket sales ensure that the 2016 Trials will exceed 200,000 in attendance. Previous U.S. Trials held at the Century­Link Center included attendance over 167,000 in 2012 and over 160,000 in 2008.
Pretty impressive that they are going to break the attendance record by around 25%!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We should see over 500,000 people come through downtown in a 2.5 week period between the CWS and Swim Trials, if the CWS attendance is strong and add in the CWS opening festivities and the home run derby/fireworks we could see 600K in DTO over that period.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

KETV just showed the Swim Trial pool under construction, the siding going in today... I think they said it should be filled by Monday, a week ahead of schedule.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (154.7 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

More info on the surf machine:

A portable pool that shoots water backward toward riders, who can choose to lie on their stomach and arms on a boogie board or stand on a surfboard. Surf Omaha will cost $30 for a 55-minute session shared with 11 other riders, Farrell said.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I was at the U.S Olympic Training center in Colorado Springs over the weekend; they really, really talked up how nice the Omaha facility is and how much they like it here.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Pool Update:

CenturyLink Center Omaha Exterior:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great pictures Brad....can't wait to see it all in person soon.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Great pictures Brad....can't wait to see it all in person soon.
Thanks. Sounds like its going to be even better this year.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

It's looking great.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Great pictures Brad....can't wait to see it all in person soon.
Thanks. Sounds like its going to be even better this year.
I wish that I had tickets this year...I had been to the previous two but with a newborn I decided to skip it this year.

I can imagine that the new scoreboard and ribbon boards the presentation will be better too.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad, did you get any pictures of the outside of the CLink with the LED lights being all different colors? I saw it last night on the news.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Brad, did you get any pictures of the outside of the CLink with the LED lights being all different colors? I saw it last night on the news.
No, didn't know they were up and running yet. I will get one soon.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Brad, did you get any pictures of the outside of the CLink with the LED lights being all different colors? I saw it last night on the news.
I was referring to the regular lights, not the swimmer LED lights. It looked like the light they have turned pink for breast cancer or red, white and blue, were all different colors last night. (I don't think the "swimmer" LED lights are on quite yet)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Brad wrote:
I was referring to the regular lights, not the swimmer LED lights. It looked like the light they have turned pink for breast cancer or red, white and blue, were all different colors last night. (I don't think the "swimmer" LED lights are on quite yet)
No, but that would be cool to get a Red White and Blue LED with the Swimmers.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Entire eight-day sellout at CenturyLink for Swim Trials will topple U.S. record with 200,000-plus
There will be an American attendance record for a swimming event when final crowds exceed 200,000 for the Trials, which run June 26 to July 3. The CenturyLink Center capacity for swimming is listed at just over 14,000.
And to handle more fans, Trials officials said about 200 standing-room-only tickets will be made available each session.

Three night sessions sold out in 2012, when total attendance was just over 167,000. That shattered the record Omaha set in 2008, when it drew more than 160,000 in its first time as host.
The popularity of the event has continued to grow since going from a 4,400-seat facility in Indianapolis in 2000 to a temporary 10,000-seat venue in Long Beach, California, in 2004, when total attendance first eclipsed 100,000.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Apparently it was an Orlando Tribute:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
Apparently it was an Orlando Tribute:
Here is a picture from the World Herald: They are supposed to be on tonight as well.