Omaha Beef Season-Opener

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Hal Dawg
Home Owners Association

Omaha Beef Season-Opener

Post by Hal Dawg »

The Omaha Beef play tonight in their season opener at the Civic Auditorium. Word on the street is that they've sold more than 5,000 tickets.

That would be a pretty respectable turnout considering how poorly UNO hockey has been drawing at the Qwest Center.

Go Beef.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Downtown should be pretty busy tonight... with that and the World of Wheels and motocross events at the Qwest Center (took my son last night to the motocross... my first such event... was pretty impressive, those guys get some serious air, while doing 360's, standing on the handle bars, coming completely off the seat, grabing the back and pulling it back in... was pretty wild).
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

jhuston wrote:was pretty impressive, those guys get some serious air, while doing 360's, standing on the handle bars, coming completely off the seat, grabing the back and pulling it back in... was pretty wild).
This isn't a misplaced post from the Gay Friendly Omaha thread is it? :lol:

Sorry, I am a bad boy...
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The Beef win..In front of 6,185 fans. Not bad..

From the Sunday W-H:

'McMenamin-Nizzi combo sizzles for Beef

BY JOHN MARTIN FEY

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Mike Nizzi drove Sioux Falls dizzy Saturday night as the Omaha Beef opened its indoor football season with a 55-31 win.

Nizzi, a former UNO receiver, snared four touchdown passes from John McMenamin as Omaha sent a riled-up Civic Auditorium crowd of 6,185 home happy.

Nizzi said he was surprised to come up with such a big game.

"I knew I'd have some chances," he said. "I wasn't expecting four (scores)."

McMenamin, who played for Northwest Missouri State, is teaming up with Nizzi for the first time. The first-year Beef quarterback was happy for his receiver.

"We call him silky smooth," McMenamin said. "He always seems to get open."

The Beef sputtered on its first series and allowed the Storm to take a 6-0 lead on a 15-yard pass from Terrance Bryant to Corey Walker four minutes into the game.

But the Beef came right back with a score when McMenamin zipped an 8-yard pass to Steve Lovell. Ted Retzlaff's point-after put Omaha up for good 7-6.

Nizzi started his big night - his four catches totaled 101 yards - by grabbing a 30-yard fling from McMenamin to put the Beef up 14-6. In the second quarter, Nizzi had back-to-back TD catches of 12 and 35 yards.

He pretty much put the game away with 13:03 left in the fourth when he hauled in a 24-yard toss from McMenamin that made it 48-19.

Beef Coach Robert Fuller said he had a feeling Nizzi was headed for a big game.

"It was certainly pleasing to see it happen," said Fuller, in his first year as the Beef's coach. "Mike's a wonderful young man who works very hard."

While the Beef showed flashes of tip-top play, the game was hardly a thing of beauty. Sioux Falls turned the ball over four times, and the teams combined for 20 penalties.

Omaha didn't have a turnover, but McMenamin lost the handle on more than a couple of snaps.

"We do put a lot of emphasis on being efficient with the football," Fuller said, "But, still, fumbled snaps are not acceptable."'..

And the box score:

Sioux Falls (0-1)......................... 6 13 12 0 - 31
At Omaha (1-0).........................21 20 7 7 - 55..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

[ROFLMAO]
This isn't a misplaced post from the Gay Friendly Omaha thread is it? :lol:
Damn it Guy... I just spewed my morning coffee all over my laptop keyboard. I really need to proof read this stuff before I post.