Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

This is huge!! Smashed the All Time attendance record!

2009 all-time record of 336,072
2013 - 341,483

This event just keeps on getting better..

-adam
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Also they broke the attendance record with the minimum amount of games played.  Pretty awesome.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Tonight they broke 3 records...

Single Game Record = 27,127
Series Record = 341,483
Session-by-session Average = 24,392

3 Home Runs was also the lowest since 66

Here is my shot of the night!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It was a good series, and a fun night last night.  Not exactly a cliffhanger game, but the park looked great, even in the soupy humidity of an early summer evening.  I experienced no long lines for food or drink.  We talked to quite a few Mississippi State fans, and they all seemed to enjoy their time in Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Eight For Omaha In 2014

Cal State Fullerton
Florida State
North Carolina State
Oregon
Oregon State
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Virginia

Eight More For Super Regionals
UCLA, Clemson, Florida, Indiana, Louisiana State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Mississippi State, North Carolina

Nine More To Make Top 25
Alabama, Cal Poly, East Carolina, Kentucky, Miami, Southern Mississippi, Rice, Texas, Texas Christian
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Contestants Named for the 2013 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby

2013 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby:

•Matt Gonzalez - a freshman from Georgia Tech University, who finished the season with 3 home runs and 37 RBI. His 17-game hitting streak was his team's second longest this year. He was named to the 2013 Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American Baseball Team, as selected by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.

•DJ Stewart - a freshman from Florida State University, who finished the season with 5 home runs and 59 RBI. He was named to the All-ACC second team and the All-ACC tournament team. He was named to the 2013 Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American Baseball Team, as selected by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper, and as a Freshman All-American by the NCBWA.

•Kenny Towns - a sophomore from the University of Virginia, who hit 7 home runs and 44 RBI. He hit his first career walk-off home run against Florida State in the all-ACC tournament and was named to the Charlottesville All-Regional team.

•Bo Thompson - a sophomore from the Citadel who finished the season with 14 home runs and 52 RBI. He was named second team All-Southern Conference and named to the Southern Conference All-Tournament team after helping the Bulldogs reach the championship game.

•Michael Aquino - a junior from Rice University, who led the Owls in slugging percentage (.509), total bases (126), RBI (43) and sharing the team lead in home runs (9). He was named to the All-Conference USA second team.

•Caleb Adams - a sophomore from Louisiana-Lafayette University, who finished the year with a team-leading 16 home runs and 55 RBI. He led the Ragin' Cajuns with 15 multi-RBI games and was named second team All-Sun Belt Conference.

•Garrett Boulware - a sophomore from Clemson University, who finished the year with 8 home runs and 45 RBI. He led the Tigers in home runs, RBI, total bases (108) and slugging percentage (.476). He was a Gregg Olson Award semifinalist, a Johnny Bench Award Watch List member and won the Mitchell Award, given annually to the team's most valuable player.

•Joey Pankake - a sophomore from South Carolina University, who finished the year with 11 home runs and 42 RBI. He was named National Player of the Week by Collegiate Baseball and SEC Player of the Week for the week of March 4-10, 2013 after belting 4 home runs, scoring 7 runs and driving in 9 runs for the Gamecocks in 5 games.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Going to put this here because it was the 2013 series where this was discussed a lot.

The NCAA will be going to a flat seam ball for the 2015 championship series.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/artic ... ampionship

The Division I Baseball Committee will move to the use of a flat-seamed baseball for its championship, starting with the 2015 Division I tournament.

Currently, raised-seamed baseballs are used in the Division I Baseball Championship.

I am not sure what to think about this.  I do not think changing the ball for the Championships is going far enough.  The ball should be changed for the entire season and for all games if it is going to be changed.  May not be a big deal but to me it is enough of a change that it should not be introduced only at the Champ.  IT is a big enough timing notice that it should not be an issue to get the balls or a cost impact for the 2015 season.

[/img]
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote: I do not think changing the ball for the Championships is going far enough.  The ball should be changed for the entire season and for all games if it is going to be changed.
I totally agree!
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

According to OWH individual conferences will have the option to decide if they want to use the new ball as part of the regular season.

The Division I baseball committee's decision Tuesday allows conferences to adopt the new ball for regular-season play the same year.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131105/C ... rld-series[/center]
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

from followup OWH article

While the NCAA's decision Tuesday to adopt a flat-seam baseball in 2015 wasn't specifically designed to put the home run back into the CWS, Creighton coach Ed Servais said it can't hurt.

“I'm not in favor of going back eight or 10 years and having 45 homers hit in a series,'' said Servais, whose team plays its home games at TD Ameritrade Park. “But if the flat-seam ball adds another 10 to 15 feet to the flight of the ball, as studies have shown, then I'm a big fan of it.

“I think there's a general feeling around college baseball that something has to be done to get some more excitement into the game.''

The Division I baseball committee unanimously approved the use of the flat-seam baseball for the 2015 NCAA tournament. Conferences can vote to adopt the new ball for regular-season play beginning in 2015.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131105/C ... rld-series