WHA in Omaha?

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

WHA in Omaha?

Post by Coyote »

TwinCities.com wrote: Pair eyeing WHA revival

PHILADELPHIA — So, you want to create a rival league to challenge the NHL?

You might try announcing a spring hockey tournament in Canada. Then enlist the help of a marquee star — say, Jeremy Roenick — to recruit 80 players from among the 700-plus locked out from the NHL.

You offer them $20,000 each to participate with a $2 million winner-take-all prize pool. Finally, you use the momentum from the tournament to launch a 10-team league in October with franchises in mostly non-NHL cities.

That's the master plan from Ricky Smith and Mark McKelvie, who have been attempting, unsuccessfully since last fall, to resurrect the long-dead World Hockey Association.

"We have 16 cities we've identified or have an agreement in principle, but we'll probably go with 10," said Smith, the WHA president.

It begins with the Bobby Hull Invitational tournament May 20-June 2, which will be held on the East and West Coasts of Canada with six teams.

That's where Roenick comes in.

Roenick has recruited teammates Robert Esche, Tony Amonte, Keith Primeau and Sean Burke, and former Flyer Mark Recchi. Others include Chris Chelios, Mike Keane and Andrew Raycroft.

"Jeremy is excited about playing in the tournament and putting on a great show for the fans," McKelvie said. "He has certainly helped us secure players for our tournament."

Smith hopes the tournament will launch the WHA in October.

Roenick said his sole purpose in the venture is to get the tournament — not the league — off the ground and get players on the ice.

"We're trying to put some money into guys' pockets," Roenick said. "People are dying to see some hockey in Canada. It can be a good thing. We've been wanting to do something like this for some time now.

"None of us can be blamed for looking for alternative ways to make money and still play hockey. Mark came to me because I have a lot of connections with guys and could get the word out."

The NHL Players Association is happy for those participating.

"NHLPA members have been encouraged to take advantage of opportunities to compete and stay in shape, and should an opportunity arise this spring, the players are free to make their own decisions as to their level of participation," said Ted Saskin, the union's senior director.

McKelvie hopes the tournament whets players' appetites for the new league and that the NHL lockout lasts into the fall so the WHA can sign NHL players.

To do that, however, the league needs teams, investors, sponsors and arenas, and appears to have squandered a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to capitalize on the NHL's absence this season, failing to launch in 2004-05.

Smith and McKelvie purchased the WHA trademarks from cofounder Nick Vaccaro last fall, yet have failed to get the league up and running.

"Yeah, we have had a whole season of no hockey," McKelvie conceded. "But we have only had a couple of weeks where we knew what the availability of a players pool would be for the tournament. The tournament will be used to raise awareness of brand recognition and show fans what the future of WHA hockey looks like.

"We were under a tremendous amount of pressure from (media) and fans to get something going for this year. In our opinion, if it wasn't done 100 percent correctly, we would do more damage than good to ourselves. Our feeling is we have just one kick at the cat here to reintroduce the WHA."

The spring tournament takes the name of the proposed league's new commissioner, Bobby Hull, and will be overseen by another hall of famer — Phil Esposito.

The tournament will be played in Hamilton, Ontario, and Vancouver. The tournament's starting date coincides with the return of players from the World Championships in Austria, which end May 15.

On the ice, the game will be played without the red line and feature tag-up offsides and no-touch icing.

"We're grateful for NHLers coming to the tournament, and we want to show them what wide-open hockey would look like in the WHA," Smith said.

Bill Daly, the NHL chief legal counsel, said while the NHL does not view the WHA as a threat, he's not surprised the two men are having difficulty getting going.

"The WHA's failure to get off the ground this year is not at all surprising," Daly said. "I think it speaks to the enormous commitment, resources and capital that are necessary to operate a professional sports league, and to just how difficult it can be to find owners and organizations willing to contribute those things, as well as to assume the risk, economic and otherwise, of failing to succeed."

Smith argues that he's not trying to "hard sell" the league to investors.

"The previous WHA made a point of hanging its shingle out and collecting expansion fees from anybody and everybody," he said. "Anything in the press in the last 120 days, we have never spoken about selling franchises. We have gone the other direction, getting solvent people from the last WHA back in."

Among the cities both men claim have expressed interest in franchises are Quebec City (which lost an NHL team), Seattle and Portland, Ore. (both of which want an NHL team), Las Vegas, Omaha, Neb., Indianapolis, Dallas and Atlantic City, N.J., which lost its East Coast Hockey League team — the Boardwalk Bullies — to a group in Stockton, Calif., that will relocate it next season.

The pair say they have or will have lease arrangements at Reunion Arena in Dallas; the Rose Garden in Portland; Key Arena in Seattle; the Orleans or MGM Grand in Las Vegas; Market Square Arena in Indianapolis; and Pepsi Coliseum in Quebec City.

"The reality is, a lot of NHL cities have quality buildings," McKelvie said. "But they are controlled by the NHL clubs, which makes it difficult for us to get a quality venue there."

Hence, the WHA targets smaller markets.

"The status of the WHA is not going to affect at all the collective-bargaining negotiation from the (NHL's) perspective," Daly said. "Our objective is and will remain doing whatever is necessary to negotiate a fair deal with the Players' Association and to get the game back on the ice as soon as possible."

Added Saskin: "To the extent that the WHA begins play next season, there may be some opportunities for our members to play hockey and stay in shape should the NHL continue to lock out the players. The WHA's development notwithstanding, we remain committed to reaching a new CBA agreement with the NHL."

McKelvie says the WHA can't launch with just minor-league players.

Their plan, however, is to entice some older NHL players who are nearing the end of their NHL careers and might be tempted to jump leagues for large amounts of cash, just as Hull did in 1972 when he bolted the Chicago Blackhawks for the Winnipeg Jets.

"There are an awful lot of NHLers who have a couple of years left in the NHL and have expressed interest in the WHA to get additional time out of their careers," McKelvie said.

WHA clubs would have payrolls capped at about $15 million, and only one marquee player could earn as much as $5 million.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I wonder where they would even play at. That would also be 4 hockey teams in the metro.
DTO
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Maybe we should trade in a couple hockey teams for maybe an NBA team or something. And we could combine the 4 or however many arena football teams we have and get an Arena 1 team. Seriousely, we have a team in every second rate league there is. Speaking of minor league teams, what ever happened to that minor league basketball team at the civic
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The IBL? Maybe it just wasn't going to work out. Who would go see that anyway with CU at the Qwest Center. I think we could support 1 ML team. (Spare me the tv market not big enough to get one argument) Shouldn't the AHL team be here by now? I don't know what's taking them so long.
DTO
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

Totally agree we could support a ML team. But we need someone to front the money. When we finally get someone to buy one we should have one.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That's funny because I can think of one guy here who might be able to afford one of each sports team. I don't know why people here couldn't form a joint ownership of a team. It's not like Omaha is short on people who like to throw money around.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

We could do wht the GB Packers did. Omaha could sell shares of the team to Omaha citizens. How would you like to own a share of an NBA team?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I wouldn't. Give me NHL or NFL (in that order) anyday.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I would love to see NFL. The city loves football and I think we'd have enough corporate sponsors for NFL, but the city itself would have to be more appealing for the players to live in. NHL is completly doable. NBA is doable too since most of the people I know follow it.

I wouldn't like the redneck association but could Omaha support a NASCAR track?
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha could never get an NFL team. The closest we came was the OMaha Mustangs semi-pro team we had in the 60's. NHL probably would be closer than NBA even though the KC-Omaha Kings are a part of our history - so maybe the WHA is a step forward or maybe lets just steal the Calgary and relocate them to Omaha.

"Jesus saves! Gretzky gets the rebound and Scores!"
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

If the Flames were an American team as opposed to a Canadian one I think we would have a better chance of getting the ML team. But you never know...
DTO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I don't really follow sports any more, but I think it would be quite difficult for the City to have a NFL team. It's the same reasons there are so many more college basketball teams than their are football, there's just way too much infrastructre required in football.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

As it relates to Omaha attaining a major league sports team: Never say 'never'..

As it relates to this topic specific to Omaha..Can you say: Hockey OVERKILL :?: ..

I'm just glad to see the Knights back :!: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

The city loves football and I think we'd have enough corporate sponsors for NFL
Correction, this city loves its huskers. If it loved football, the Beef and UNO would have sell outs too.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

No people love real football so that's why the Beef aren't as popular. And since the Cornhuskers are a religion UNO won't be as popular. Not everyone likes the Huskers either.
DTO
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

I'm not sure if there is a post or not, but what are the chances of UNO moving up to D-1AA in football and D-1A in all other sports?

I think now is the time to either step up or remain d2 for a long time to come, with the NCC basically falling apart, a new exteral AD, and the Mavs putting very good teams together in swimming, basketball, wrestling, and of course hockey. However I don't see the regents putting the Huskers in any kind of jeopardy no matter what the long term potential may be.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

UNO was thinking about moving up to D1. I don't see how it would hurt the Huskers since plenty of non-UNO fans can still support the UNL team. I wish UNO was totally D1 so we could get more national exposure for the school.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

mchine73 wrote:I'm not sure if there is a post or not, but what are the chances of UNO moving up to D-1AA in football and D-1A in all other sports?
That has been discussed before. Here is an article from last August. It is up to the new AD:
OWH wrote:Tom Shatel: Pressing concerns for next Mav A.D.

Bob Danenhauer always looked as if he was having too much fun to be working. Blame it on the smile, the handshake and the accompanying slap on the back. They were deceiving.

Behind the image of a good old boy who seemed to know everyone in Omaha was a man who knew a thing or two about being an athletic director.

After seven years, it's hard to recognize Maverick sports. UNO went from a mom and pop store to an able competitor, from Joe Louis Arena in Detroit to right here at home, in the ever-growing Omaha sports market.

Maybe Danenhauer knows a thing or two about when to get out, too.

He leaves behind a Division II kingdom. But he also leaves potential headaches on his desk, which sat beneath a huge picture of John Wayne. UNO might need "The Duke" for this job.

It's a crucial hire. UNO hockey is at an important crossroads. So is UNO's future in the depleted North Central Conference. Chancellor Nancy Belck and Danenhauer created a monster that feeds on revenue.

Belck must find someone who can deal with these issues:

• 1. Hockey. The trendy play toy has become a business at UNO. Mav hockey brings in $3 million, or half, of UNO's total athletic revenue (football is second at $400,000). While UNO's attendance would be considered huge at most colleges, the Mavs have lost their buzz as they moved to the Qwest Center Omaha and slid down the CCHA standings.

Which means it's a big year for Coach Mike Kemp.

"We need to get the puck in the net," Danenhauer said. "Mike knows that. Mike knows there's a lot of expectations to turn it around this year."

• 2. The NCC. UNO needs its next athletic leader to be on the cutting edge of Division II sports movement. The NCC is down to seven teams, and who knows how long North Dakota will hang around? Even with UND, the weakened league could threaten UNO's football attendance and the playoff ratings in other sports.

"There's a lot in flux right now," Danenhauer said. "There are so many Division II schools now dropping sports and going Division III.

"I wouldn't be surprised to see a merger. There's been talk about the Northern Sun, but that's not as attractive as getting with Northwest Missouri, Pittsburg State or Central Missouri (in the MIAA). There's been talk about a merger, like the Big 12, with north and south divisions. That would be sweet for us."

• 3. Look into going Division I, with football going Division I-AA. UNO Football Coach Pat Behrns is a proponent of I-AA football.

"If we could go I-AA in football and keep everyone else in Division II, I would be for it," Danenhauer said. "But while I think our football program could play in I-AA, I don't think our other coaches, in wrestling, golf or basketball, would want to play in Division I-A."

• 4. Promote hockey over the other Division II sports. Danenhauer, perhaps as an old-school Division II guy, chose not to do that. But it's time for UNO to separate the two and give its Division I breadwinner its full due.

"Do you take hockey and throw a lot of money at it?" Danenhauer said. "That's the balance you have to have. How would that affect the other sports? We've always marketed hockey, but we choose to do the same for other sports, too.

"The problem is with hockey you are trying to compete with Ohio State and Michigan, and with the others you are trying to beat North Dakota. I think our other coaches understand hockey is different. It's not an easy mix."

It will be a hard job for someone. A better job, too. That's the legacy, the final slap on the back, that Danenhauer leaves.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

I love hockey but if Omaha got any more hockey teams we would have to start recruiting eomaha.com forum members to play.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The DTO Luvrs
The Coyote Pack
The Project Men
The Street Blades of Omaha
The Omaha Swifts
The Almighty Ice Tunas
The Snow Guy's4Omaha
The Finn Towers
The CB IceJammers

I'd want my team in the "Downtown" Leauge.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

First game: The Coyote Pack vs. DTO Luvrs

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

:lol: :lol: Bravo, bravo!!

Ya know, I was going to joke about this but as I typed it it sounded better and better. How about a forum meet at some hockey game this fall. I think with three teams scheduling will not be a problem! Something to keep on the shelf for the next few months.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
DTO
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Not a bad idea for a forum meet. So who won the fight in the above post? I didn't see any blood.

I know Omaha would not be able to support an NFL team. Seems like the minimum to get a good following would be 2 million in the metro area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

projectman wrote:Not a bad idea for a forum meet. So who won the fight in the above post? I didn't see any blood.
No blood? No foul. It's like Spy vs. Spy - it never ends - just more creative.

Maybe we could wait until Des Moines comes to town and invite DMRyan to wander across the river again. A little heathy rivalry? The Knights see Stars? Oh what a Stary Knight? Knight comes to the Stars? Say Good Knight Stars! The bylines are endless.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

'I know Omaha would not be able to support an NFL team. Seems like the minimum to get a good following would be 2 million in the metro area.'..

This makes sense..But is not 100% true..

Buffalo, NY has a metro of BARELY 1.2 million and has had the NFL for years (now before I get jumped on, I know such cities as Rochester and Syracuse are a 1 to 3 hour drive away)..How about Jacksonville? About 1.1 in their metro..They have the NFL AND just hosted a SuperBowl..We know Green Bay is an anomaly. But the NFL has done quite well in those other 2 markets closer to Omaha's size..

But then again, until Omaha grows to about the size of J'Ville, we would not get serious consideration..Further, A sportsman living in the metro who has $$$, or better yet a group of serious rich Omahans would have to step forth..A STADIUM would have to get built..And the cost? Well in the 'Big D', my beloved Dallas Cowboys (arguably the MOST popular team in all professional sports) is building a new stadium in Arlington, Tx to the tune of $650 million. Now Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is paying for HALF of this number..THAT friends is some serious commitment. It doesn't just take POPULATION to draw the NFL (or any big league team to a city), it takes an OWNERSHIP group committed to their city AND the sport..Who additonally has the BIG $$$ to spend to make it work..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

A Knights-Stars forum meet sounds kick |expletive|.
DTO
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

I'd be perfectly happy with a "real" pro arena team....How long can football stay popular? No one thought in a million years a sport would out do baseball and look now. What's the next upcoming sport then we can get in on it early and keep a team until it becomes a huge success.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I agree that Jacksonville, Buffalo, Kansas City and Green Bay are all under 2 million people, however, the states in which those cities are located have a much larger population to pull from. Florida 17.4 million, New York 19.3 million, Missouri 5.75 million and Wisconsin 5.51 million. With Nebraska's 1.8 million and Iowa's 2.95 million I doubt we could get the fan support or money to back the infrastructure. I'm not sure how far Buffalo is away from the closest NFL city, (New York City?). We are only 180 miles from KC and not sure if we could draw fans from down there or even from Kansas. All good questions. I still feel we have a lot of growing to do to become the densly populated metropolitan area needed to support these teams.