CU-NU Baseball Tonight

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I hope the Huskers don't make it to the CWS this year, as I do every year. Not because of the kids, who deserve a shot like everyone else, but for the fans. I think its a better atmosphere when there's not a home team. Creighton wouldn't be terrible, but the husker fans are just plain rabid. Many don't even know WOW baseball is all about - they're just there because they own a husker shirt and hopped on the bandwagon.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Go Stick-Football! :roll:
DTO
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

Remember - Creighton has had great teams in the past. They made it to the CWS first - AND - They have actaully won a game there. Creighton has won a game at the dance and NU is the only major university not to have won a game at the dance. Think about that one. NU is the ONLY major university not to have ever won at the NCAA basketball tournament.
NU has also won 5 national championships in Football, the third winningest program behind Michigan and Notre Dame, countless conference championships. Oh, and those men gymnasts have won 5 or 6 national titles of their own. And one stat you seemed to left out on your husker bball bashing was the fact the mighty Kansas's worst defeat all-time came at the hands of the Huskers. I may be wrong, but I also believe that one of the only teams Wilt ever lost to at KU was to the huskers. Of course, there is also the little fact that the Huskers beat both Red Grange and the Four Horseman. And let's also not forget that the 1995 and 1971 national championship teams may have been the first and second best college football teams of alltime.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

If it wasn't for a perfect throw from center field (?) in that classic with Wichita State, Creighton may have won that game!

This has gotten off topic but, as far as the Huskers:

* Football has five national championships;

* Men's gymnastics actually has 8 national championships and 41 individual national champions;

*Women's Track & Field has three national championships;

* Women's Bowling has two national championships;

*Women's Rifle has one individual national champion;

* Women's Volleyball has two national championships (I saw them that year).

Also, a national contender in wrestling and baseball. Not all Huskers fans only follow football and plenty know about baseball (bandwagon or not!).
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

almighty_tuna wrote:I hope the Huskers don't make it to the CWS this year, as I do every year. Not because of the kids, who deserve a shot like everyone else, but for the fans. I think its a better atmosphere when there's not a home team. Creighton wouldn't be terrible, but the husker fans are just plain rabid. Many don't even know WOW baseball is all about - they're just there because they own a husker shirt and hopped on the bandwagon.
I don't care either way because I'm not a huge baseball fan. But I think it is a little unfair to decry Husker bandwagon fans when every team has bandwagon fans. Bandwagon fans as well as loyal fans are just there for the entertainment and to have fun. I don't see a problem with that.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

There's nothing wrong with everyone, bandwagon fans and baseball fans alike, having fun. The issue for me is that with the Huskers in the tourney its all overrun with Husker fans. They buy up all kinds of tickets in hopes that the Huskers get to X level and when they don't many don't show up or scalp them. I think it takes away from the whole atmosphere when a tourney is dominated by the fan base of one team.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

In fact a few years ago the NCAA got upset at the Husker fans for buying up all of those tickets and not leaving enough for the other teams fans.
DTO