2014 Husker Baseball

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: 2014 Husker Baseball

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote:It just befuddles me how a conference with the footprint of the Big 10 could be as troubled (perhaps that's too strong of a word there) as they are in baseball. I suppose the warmer climates win out for the younger kids, but once they reach the MLB there are quite a few "cold" weather locales...
The kids in the warmer climates play baseball outside year around.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Will Bolt interviewed for the Sam Houston State coaching job. I don't think he will be with the program in the next few years...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Also of relevance, IU's head coach took the Arizona St job.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That was perfect timing for him. He had 2 very high MLB draft picks I know 4th to the Cubs and 67th to Boston. Plus I think one more. He left at the peak. It would be hard to pass up an elite warm weather program. I think NU will be the cream of the conference next year.

I know a lot questioned Erstad's hiring but it looks really good now.

I do think Boldt will get a HC job in the next few years. Maybe down the road he returns to NU (though I don't see Estad leaving anytime soon).

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Will Bolt joins Rob Childress' Texas A&M.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

Post by Huskerbaseball13 »

Sounds like Erstad has hired Mike Kirby to replace Bolt. Kirby is Cal St Fullertons top assistant and recruiting coordinator. Slam dunk hire and amazing Erstad can real in a coach from one of the perennial powers in college baseball.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Baseball veteran Mike Kirby returned to Cal State Fullerton for the 2012 season as Rick Vanderhook's first assistant coach and recruiting coordinator after a three-year stint in Eugene, Ore., where he helped George Horton rekindle the Ducks' baseball program after a 28-year hiatus.

In his first year as the Titans' recruiting coordinator, CSF's 2012 class was ranked 23rd in the country by Baseball America, producing National Freshman Pitcher of the Year Thomas Eshelman, Big West Conference Pitcher of the Year Justin Garza and 2013 everyday second baseman Jake Jefferies.

Kirby, responsible for coaching first base, also tutors the team’s infielders, and during the last two years has coached one Big West Conference Player of the Year (Carlos Lopez, 2013), one Big West Defensive Player of the Year (Richy Pedroza, 2013), one Big West Freshman Player of the Year (Matt Chapman, 2012) and four Major League Baseball draftees.

Before returning to Fullerton, Kirby, 47, was instrumental in helping Horton promote the Oregon program to the national scene, playing a large role in four consecutive top-25 recruiting classes, including three ranked in the top-10 and a program-best No. 5 ranking in 2010.

Kirby was also responsible for coaching first base and working with the team's outfielders.

In his three seasons with the Ducks, the program produced seven position player All-Pac 10 honorees and four major league draftees including catcher Eddie Rodriguez in 2010.

Kirby took Rodriguez under his wing and helped the senior catcher to a breakout season that saw him lead the team with seven home runs and 45 RBI while hitting .329 before being selected by the Florida Marlins in the MLB First-Year Player Draft.

That same year, the Ducks made a remarkable jump after finishing 14-42 in 2009. They got rolling and finished with a 40-24 mark, having advanced to the postseason for just the third time in school history and the first since 1964. It was the second biggest turn-around by a college baseball team since the NCAA began keeping the stat in 1998. The Ducks finished the season on four national polls after reaching the elimination game at the Norwich Regional.

Kirby got back into the college game after nine years of working in sales for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (1999-2008) by joining Buddy Goldsmith's UNLV coaching staff for the 2008 season. While in Las Vegas he served as the Rebels' third base coach and helped develop the catchers.

While in Las Vegas, Kirby was instrumental in helping Xavier Scruggs regain his power stroke that helped him win the Mountain West Conference's triple crown with a .379 average, 20 home runs and 65 RBI.

Kirby saw his first action in Fullerton in 1991 and spent eight of the next nine seasons as either a student assistant (one year), facilities manager (three years) or assistant coach (four years). He left the Titans briefly to assist at Los Angeles City College in 1996.

From 1991-1999, Kirby helped the Titans to six Big West Conference titles, four College World Series appearances (1992, 1994, 1995, 1999) and a national championship in 1995. He helped groom nine (Frank Charles, Steve Sisco, Phil Nevin, Dante Powell, Jeremy Giambi, Mark Kotsay, Mike Lamb, Aaron Rowand and Reed Johnson) former Titan position players for the major leagues and tutored four of the five Titan Olympians (Brian Loyd, Kotsay, Jason Moler and Nevin).

He learned his craft from working with Titan coaching staffs that included current Div. I head coaches Augie Garrido, George Horton, Dave Serrano and Vanderhook, and also played his last season of college ball under then-Long Beach State Head Coach and former Titan assistant Dave Snow.

Kirby played two seasons of junior college ball at Cerritos College under Horton in 1988 and 1989, when the Falcons won two state championships. He finished up his collegiate career with the 49ers in 1990. He prepped at Ocean View High School in Huntington Beach, Calif.

Kirby earned his bachelor's degree in kinesiology from Cal State Fullerton in 1994. He currently lives in San Clemente with his family.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Wow, looks to be a great great hire.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

That's a major upgrade in all sense of the word.
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Epley returns to Nebraska
The University of Nebraska Athletics Department announced the hiring of Boyd Epley as Assistant Athletic Director for Strength and Conditioning. Epley will oversee the strength and conditioning staff and programs of all Husker athletic programs except football and will serve as the primary strength and conditioning coach for baseball.

Initially hired by former Athletic Director Bob Devaney to start a strength and conditioning program at Nebraska in 1969, Epley served 35 years as NU’s head strength coach before moving into an associate athletic director position. He retired from NU in 2006.