Iowa Western Soccer

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Iowa Western Soccer

Post by icejammer »

Both men's and women's teams won their first national title, about 30 minutes apart...

Iowa Western men’s, women’s soccer teams each win 1st NJCAA title
Iowa Western’s women won the first national soccer championship in school history Saturday night.

By about 30 minutes.

The Reiver women got a key second-half goal from Nicole Gowans and some stellar work in goal from Kelsey East to win their national final match over Navarro (Texas) 3-1 at Melbourne, Fla.

They were still on the field celebrating when – about 1,000 miles away in Tyler, Texas – the men followed suit with their national title, beating Tyler 3-1 on penalty kicks after regulation and overtime play ended in a 1-1 tie. . .
Last edited by icejammer on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Re: Iowa Western Soccer

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:Both men's and women's teams won their first national title, about 30 minutes apart...
Impressive!  Is that some sort of record?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I think this was the second time both men's and women's champs came from the same school (Tyler JC, TX did it in 2009, I htink both were first time champs as well).

The women's team had been runner's up twice (2006 and 2007), but finished #1-ranked this year leading up to the tourney.  The men's team was ranked #1 a good portion of the season I believe and finished undefeated.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan