Creighton Basketball 2014-2015

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Creighton Basketball 2014-2015

Post by skinzfan23 »

Who else is there to play? At least tonight he was the best guy for hustle. He made a great pass to Kreklow to hit that 3 late in the game. And this is nothing new, but he lead the team with 10 boards when no one else on the team had more than 4.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Who else is there to play? Well, at this point I would say they could pick a student out of the crowd (Although that's slim pickens). Or maybe Greg has a year if eligibility left.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Should be giving Leon Gilmore III a shot at this point. Have to play this season as a long prep for next year. Playing a terrible Artino more than half the game is doing no one any good.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The big question should be where is Chatman?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:The big question should be where is Chatman?
He checked out a month ago.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:The big question should be where is Chatman?
He checked out a month ago.
Yeah, that seems about right.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I don't know if he checked out, but I think a lot was expected from him this year, and while he could fill the role player with Doug and Wragge last year, he has mentally never been able to step up and take the leader role they thought he could handle. They may have to sit him down and put someone else as point, get Artino out of there, and put the pressure on Kreklow, Milliken, Hansen, and gasp, Brooks...
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

MadMartin8 wrote:Surprise!

Oh wait, no no, not surprised. Mid Major coached and recruited team in a strong Power 5 conference. Yikes.
Can you do everyone a favor and just go post in the Husker boards for your own team. The fact you said our leading rebounder should have sat just shows you are here to troll and don't actually watch Creighton games.

Thanks.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

cp jay 07 wrote:

Oh wait, no no, not surprised. Mid Major coached and recruited team in a strong Power 5 conference. Yikes.
Can you do everyone a favor and just go post in the Husker boards for your own team. The fact you said our leading rebounder should have sat just shows you are here to troll and don't actually watch Creighton games.

Thanks.
Uh, no, I'm a Creighton fan. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, this team is NOT good. The coaching has mysteriously disappeared, AND Devon Brooks is a liability on the court more often than he is not.
Last edited by MadMartin8 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brooks is a liability when he has the ball in his hands and has a quick decision to make. He handles his defensive assignments well, he crashes the boards when needed, but his streetball instincts take over at the worst times, when he has to make a basketball move...
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Brooks is a liability when he has the ball in his hands and has a quick decision to make. He handles his defensive assignments well, he crashes the boards when needed, but his streetball instincts take over at the worst times, when he has to make a basketball move...
His turnovers absolutely destroy chances, and the problem is they happen with such frequency that he needs to take some time to think about it before he gets back on the court. Yet, he is put out there over and over again. With the role he is expected to play he NEEDS to be more consistent with the damn ball.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Brooks is a liability when he has the ball in his hands and has a quick decision to make. He handles his defensive assignments well, he crashes the boards when needed, but his streetball instincts take over at the worst times, when he has to make a basketball move...
His turnovers absolutely destroy chances, and the problem is they happen with such frequency that he needs to take some time to think about it before he gets back on the court. Yet, he is put out there over and over again. With the role he is expected to play he NEEDS to be more consistent with the darn ball.
Unfortunately that's where the crux of the problem lies... The only way Brooks gets better, has less turnovers, makes better decisions, is to put him in more situations where he can improve his game. Post game, one of the coaches said he was asking the right questions during film study this past week, so do you go forward with him and live with the mistakes hoping the kid learns from them, or do you sit him and hope somebody with less potential manages to pick up his game...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:

Thanks.
Uh, no, I'm a Creighton fan. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, this team is NOT good. The coaching has mysteriously disappeared, AND Devon Brooks is a liability on the court more often than he is not.

I do think you brought up a good point, that is at least in the back of everyone's mind. Can McDermott succeed at a level higher than the Valley. The Big East is a better more athletic league (not sure it will be consistently at a Power 5 level, may or may not). He struggled mightily at Iowa State. The last few years he has been successful, but with Doug gone, it remains to be seen. Will be interesting to see how well his "Big East" recruits do, and how he is able to relate to them.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
His turnovers absolutely destroy chances, and the problem is they happen with such frequency that he needs to take some time to think about it before he gets back on the court. Yet, he is put out there over and over again. With the role he is expected to play he NEEDS to be more consistent with the darn ball.
Unfortunately that's where the crux of the problem lies... The only way Brooks gets better, has less turnovers, makes better decisions, is to put him in more situations where he can improve his game. Post game, one of the coaches said he was asking the right questions during film study this past week, so do you go forward with him and live with the mistakes hoping the kid learns from them, or do you sit him and hope somebody with less potential manages to pick up his game...
Indeed, I just feel that if he hasn't "gotten" it yet...will he? Is the rebounding ability worth the turnovers? He CAN be a scoring threat, however that is inconsistent as well.
Greg S wrote: I do think you brought up a good point, that is at least in the back of everyone's mind. Can McDermott succeed at a level higher than the Valley. The Big East is a better more athletic league (not sure it will be consistently at a Power 5 level, may or may not). He struggled mightily at Iowa State. The last few years he has been successful, but with Doug gone, it remains to be seen. Will be interesting to see how well his "Big East" recruits do, and how he is able to relate to them.
When we started the year well, I was thinking that we would be okay...however I'm seeing the same consistent mistakes and errors as the year progresses, and let's be honest, it's not a HUGELY young team. My mind keeps saying Iowa State again...but I suppose we'll see next year as the the recruits of this class come in, and I think the signings last year were okay.....but I'm very worried at this point. Then again, I'm just a secret Nebraska troll :P
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

2nd Half Brooks and I believe Hanson were in the game, cut the lead to one, and come out right before the 8 Minute TO, like 8:27,for Clement and Artino, need to double check but at the 8 minute TO we were back down 9! Brooks' TO's are bad but at the same time he is the only who can actually drive the lane and make a lay up or find an open guy (i.e. Kreklow to tie the game)

Also not worried about next year considering from the sounds of it, Huff, Mo, and Ronnie have been beating the starters in practice when it's scout team vs starters AND a top 100 Omaha kid in Patton is coming in. If we fail next year is when the questions really need to start being asked.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

cp jay 07 wrote:2nd Half Brooks and I believe Hanson were in the game, cut the lead to one, and come out right before the 8 Minute TO, like 8:27,for Clement and Artino, need to double check but at the 8 minute TO we were back down 9! Brooks' TO's are bad but at the same time he is the only who can actually drive the lane and make a lay up or find an open guy (i.e. Kreklow to tie the game)

Also not worried about next year considering from the sounds of it, Huff, Mo, and Ronnie have been beating the starters in practice when it's scout team vs starters AND a top 100 Omaha kid in Patton is coming in. If we fail next year is when the questions really need to start being asked.
If Brooks can work on ball control and body control while he is slashing through the lane, he would be deadly and there's no denying that. It's just I have seen little improvement over the time he has been here sadly, and with his inconsistencies he is a major liability out there. One play he looks like Allen Iverson (er...well, a young Allen Iverson), other plays he looks like...well, what I would look like out there (okay, so not that bad).

Huff, Mo, Ronnie, Patton and the kid from Serbia are essentially what, in my opinion, McDermott's time here relies on.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MadMartin8 wrote:Huff, Mo, Ronnie, Patton and the kid from Serbia are essentially what, in my opinion, McDermott's time here relies on.
I can agree on that. I am anxious to see how they play together. One thing is for sure, next year's team is going to be more athletic. I still think there are going to be many inconsistences because most everyone will be young and inexperienced. That is another reason why I wish Leon Gilmore would receive a little more playing time to get him brought up to speed in college basketball with and against other "first teamers".
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Huff, Mo, Ronnie, Patton and the kid from Serbia are essentially what, in my opinion, McDermott's time here relies on.
I can agree on that.  I am anxious to see how they play together.  One thing is for sure, next year's team is going to be more athletic.  I still think there are going to be many inconsistences because most everyone will be young and inexperienced.  That is another reason why I wish Leon Gilmore would receive a little more playing time to get him brought up to speed in college basketball with and against other "first teamers".
One name I forgot was Harrell, I'll be curious to see how he develops over time as well. I agree about Gilmore...I would have loved to see him get more time this year, might as well at this point.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

Long time reader, first time poster.

A couple of thoughts about last night's game: I've been a big Coach McDermott supporter, but I question his decision to leave three small guards on the court during the final 15 seconds when we needed a defensive stop and a rebound. We still had two timeouts left to use after securing the rebound. IMO, the outcome of not securing the rebound was predictable because Butler had been killing CU all night with offensive rebounds.

A 2nd thought: I don't like the way Coach has been using his trio of big men. I think that Geoffrey Groselle is the best offensive player among the three and has shown moments of being a good low post scorer when he has gotten the playing time and the touches. It is difficult for any player to mentally prepare when he might get 20 minutes one night, then 1 minute the next game. When he does play, he fights for position, but rarely receives a touch. In my view, he could become a much better player than Artino if he had the opportunities.

Against Butler, I would have liked to see Groselle at the 5 and Hanson at the 4 spot. Hanson can't shoot 3s, but I think he would be a very good power forward against teams with big front lines.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha1000 wrote:Long time reader, first time poster.  

A couple of thoughts about last night's game:  I've been a big Coach McDermott supporter, but I question his decision to leave three small guards on the court during the final 15 seconds when we needed a defensive stop and a rebound.  We still had two timeouts left to use after securing the rebound.  IMO, the outcome of not securing the rebound was predictable because Butler had been killing CU all night with offensive rebounds.

A 2nd thought: I don't like the way Coach has been using his trio of big men.  I think that Geoffrey Groselle is the best offensive player among the three and has shown moments of being a good low post scorer when he has gotten the playing time and the touches.  It is difficult for any player to mentally prepare when he might get 20 minutes one night, then 1 minute the next game.  When he does play, he fights for position, but rarely receives a touch.  In my view, he could become a much better player than Artino if he had the opportunities.  

Against Butler, I would have liked to see Groselle at the 5 and Hanson at the 4 spot.  Hanson can't shoot 3s, but I think he would be a very good power forward against teams with big front lines.

Welcome and join in all around!!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
omahacacher
Home Owners Association

Post by omahacacher »

Another distraction that hasn't been discovered yet by the news media is the real reason James Milliken was suspended. On December 13, the day he was suspended, he was pulled over for a traffic stop and was found to have marijuana on him. He is scheduled to be arraigned next month in county court.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha1000 wrote:Long time reader, first time poster.  

A couple of thoughts about last night's game:  I've been a big Coach McDermott supporter, but I question his decision to leave three small guards on the court during the final 15 seconds when we needed a defensive stop and a rebound.  We still had two timeouts left to use after securing the rebound.  IMO, the outcome of not securing the rebound was predictable because Butler had been killing CU all night with offensive rebounds.

A 2nd thought: I don't like the way Coach has been using his trio of big men.  I think that Geoffrey Groselle is the best offensive player among the three and has shown moments of being a good low post scorer when he has gotten the playing time and the touches.  It is difficult for any player to mentally prepare when he might get 20 minutes one night, then 1 minute the next game.  When he does play, he fights for position, but rarely receives a touch.  In my view, he could become a much better player than Artino if he had the opportunities.  

Against Butler, I would have liked to see Groselle at the 5 and Hanson at the 4 spot.  Hanson can't shoot 3s, but I think he would be a very good power forward against teams with big front lines.
Welcome Omaha1000!

The coaches said after the game that Groselle's DNP was because they thought that there was already a rhythm going... I still cant see why he couldn't play though.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

MadMartin8 wrote:

One name I forgot was Harrell, I'll be curious to see how he develops over time as well.  I agree about Gilmore...I would have loved to see him get more time this year, might as well at this point.
You do know Ronnie and Harrell are the same person right?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

cp jay 07 wrote: You do know Ronnie and Harrell are the same person right?
Haha, nice....I didn't even catch that :;):
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

cp jay 07 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

One name I forgot was Harrell, I'll be curious to see how he develops over time as well.  I agree about Gilmore...I would have loved to see him get more time this year, might as well at this point.
You do know Ronnie and Harrell are the same person right?
Yes, yes I do. I did not see that I listed him. My bad, can you ever forgive me?

Edit: and I better correct this before I get in trouble again, because I'd hate for that to happen: Krampelj is from Slovenia, not Serbia.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sounds like Zierden tore his MCL.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Sounds like Zierden tore his MCL.
Ouch, I figured it was something bad after he couldn't walk on it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

How long will he be out? I guess that's his season... Again
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

In terms of recovery time, isn't a MCL a quicker recovery than an ACL tear?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MadMartin8 wrote:In terms of recovery time, isn't a MCL a quicker recovery than an ACL tear?

Yes.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

MCL is hard to judge for recovery time.. one of the injuries that if you're trying to get back on your feet as fast as possible usually you end up tearing it again and extending recovery.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

guitarguy wrote:MCL is hard to judge for recovery time.. one of the injuries that if you're trying to get back on your feet as fast as possible usually you end up tearing it again and extending recovery.
Friend said that exact same thing as we were discussing this. With the season so far along anyways, I wonder if we'll see him again this season.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

He hurt the same knee last season and opted to not have surgery. He probably needs to go under the knife or this will happen again.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I just found out an interesting stat. Counting tonight's game...all 6 of Creighton's last opponents have lost their game prior to playing the Jays (and 7 of the last 8.) Not anything you can do about it, but not exactly the spot you want to be in when you are trying to break a losing streak.
Last edited by skinzfan23 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

St. John's last lost to Duke? St. John's 27 - CU 37 (half)

will this be the first BEast win of the season,
or will CU find a way to blow another game
:popcorn:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

CU wins 77-74.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:CU wins 77-74.

:leek: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :fruit: :fruit:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Those guys played so freaking hard tonight. Awesome game plan and all that talk of not quitting was no joke.

Not that they are going to go on a crazy run, but there are enough opportunities to get to 5 or 6 wins down the stretch if we get a couple breaks we didn't get in the first half of conference play.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have to admit after Brooks threw the ball away on a fast break, and St John's comes back with a 3, I thought "here we go again"...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:I have to admit after Brooks threw the ball away on a fast break, and St John's comes back with a 3, I thought "here we go again"...
Haha, there were like four times I said that I think.