Doug McDermott in the NBA

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Doug McDermott

Post by skinzfan23 »

lmdramos wrote:It's just how it in Nebraska. I have met many Nebraska Basketball fans that despise and sh*t on Creighton even when they aren't playing Nebraska. The hatred between the two is never going to stop.
This is pretty much the same in the state of Iowa. Iowa and Iowa St. fans hate each other, even though they aren't in the same conference and only play once per season at most in sports.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:
lmdramos wrote:It's just how it in Nebraska. I have met many Nebraska Basketball fans that despise and sh*t on Creighton even when they aren't playing Nebraska. The hatred between the two is never going to stop.
This is pretty much the same in the state of Iowa.  Iowa and Iowa St. fans hate each other, even though they aren't in the same conference and only play once per season at most in sports.
As a Nebraska fan I don't have anything against Creighton. I just can't stand the Creighton fans that root for NU in football then against them in basketball. They don't have to root for them in basketball, it's the against part I don't understand.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:
This is pretty much the same in the state of Iowa.  Iowa and Iowa St. fans hate each other, even though they aren't in the same conference and only play once per season at most in sports.
As a Nebraska fan I don't have anything against Creighton.  I just can't stand the Creighton fans that root for NU in football then against them in basketball.  They don't have to root for them in basketball, it's the against part I don't understand.   

Greg
I think a lot of it comes from a large misunderstanding and a "he said she said" type thing (Creighton fans did this, Nebraska fans did this, blah blah blah). It's mildly entertaining to watch. I myself don't mind Nebraska basketball, and actually hope they win all but one game a year, and Tim Miles seems like a decent guy when I met him.

Football, I take a passing glance at and like to poke a little fun, which gets some panties in a wad (on here and offline :) ), for the most part I'll just hope they win enough to not have riots in Omaha/Lincoln, and not win enough to have riots in Omaha/Lincoln :lol: . I do, however, dislike some Husker fans who seem to take themselves far too seriously and are a bit more militant than what they thing they are. Then again, all fanbases have that element.

The whole McDermott and Northwestern thing is much adeiu about nothing really. Just trying to integrate himself into the community he now lives and works.
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It was definitely interesting. NW knew what they were doing have Doug film that for the Nebraska game. Doug obviously knew it too and was clear with his message with the tweet of Grant Gibbs he sent out afterwards.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:It was definitely interesting.  NW knew what they were doing have Doug film that for the Nebraska game.  Doug obviously knew it too and was clear with his message with the tweet of Grant Gibbs he sent out afterwards.

Greg
It wasn't filmed specifically for the Nebraska game, it was filmed several months prior. It was shown at several other games as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYXZplj ... pp=desktop
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

McDermott has worn Cubs unis and Sox unis, and Blackhawk unis... He is just getting into the Chicago scene...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Greg S wrote:It was definitely interesting.  NW knew what they were doing have Doug film that for the Nebraska game.  Doug obviously knew it too and was clear with his message with the tweet of Grant Gibbs he sent out afterwards.

Greg
It wasn't filmed specifically for the Nebraska game, it was filmed several months prior. It was shown at several other games as well.

How about the Mood/Grant Gibbs tweet? If you think NW filmed that without thinking Nebraska game, I've got some great lakefront land deals for you......

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Greg S wrote:It was definitely interesting. NW knew what they were doing have Doug film that for the Nebraska game. Doug obviously knew it too and was clear with his message with the tweet of Grant Gibbs he sent out afterwards.

Greg

How about the Mood/Grant Gibbs tweet? If you think NW filmed that without thinking Nebraska game, I've got some great lakefront land deals for you......

Greg
Maybe all the "Classiest fans in the world" tweeting at him to die or tear an ACL had something to do with that.

NU does this all the time, I went to the Syracuse game last year and they had the Blackhawks do it, not one Syracuse fan was mad cause Buffalo native Patrick Kane was wearing NU gear. UNL fans need to realize the world does not revolve around their little program sometimes.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I just think this is an interesting event for the Jayskers. Not Husker fans, not Bluejay fans, the Jayskers.

We can talk all we want about how it was a generic filming to be used in any game. It was used only for the Nebraska game and he followed it up with the Mood tweet. It was not a coincidence.

As far as the greatest fans, and the threats. Those exist in all fan based and definitely NU fans included.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Greg

How about the Mood/Grant Gibbs tweet?  If you think NW filmed that without thinking Nebraska game, I've got some great lakefront land deals for you......

Greg

Only if the Lakefront land is on the Ashland Reservoir, otherwise I am definitely not interested.

Color me curious but I heard that the video was shown in another game as well? Either way I highly doubt Doug knew or even cared that it was going to be shown at the Nebraska game. As for the tweet, well, if you care about this enough to look at twitter made by the weirdo Grant Gibbs, then obviously it is interesting enough for Husker fans... unless...you're a secret Jaysker... :shock: The truth is revealed! :lol:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

In Shatel's article is says they show a different one at each game:

http://www.omaha.com/sports/shatel-red- ... 9f48a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not a Jaysker. Definitely NU and UNO fan. I don't follow Doug, Grant or any of the Jays. I don't really have anything against CU. I do find a contingent of the Jayskers annoying though.

The tweet was by McDermott ( again I don't follow him, it was also in Shatel's article), and showed a pic of when Gibbs dove on top of Petteway during last year's NU game. McDermott added the term "mood" to the pic. I do find it amusing that some are buying the whole, it was just a coincidence angle. I'd admit if Nebraska did this, everyone involved would be smart enough to know it was intentional. Maybe Doug was just that clueless, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was smarter than that.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:In Shatel's article is says they show a different one at each game:

http://www.omaha.com/sports/shatel-red- ... 9f48a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting, color me corrected! I heard wrong on that one, but no surprise considering where I got the information from. Oops!
Greg S wrote:I'm not a Jaysker. Definitely NU and UNO fan. I don't follow Doug, Grant or any of the Jays. I don't really have anything against CU. I do find a contingent of the Jayskers annoying though.
I'm aware, and I was joking with you.
Greg S wrote:The tweet was by McDermott ( again I don't follow him, it was also in Shatel's article), and showed a pic of when Gibbs dove on top of Petteway during last year's NU game. McDermott added the term "mood" to the pic. I do find it amusing that some are buying the whole, it was just a coincidence angle. I'd admit if Nebraska did this, everyone involved would be smart enough to know it was intentional. Maybe Doug was just that clueless, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was smarter than that.
So.... because McDermott added a picture of a game last year, with a caption with one word "Mood" (which, in all instances isn't bad, unless I'm missing something here), he has a nefarious plan against Nebraska that surfaced at the Northwestern game? This is getting worse than the "ESPN Hates Nebraska!" schitck.

McDermott, and I know I'm going out on a limb here, has more important things to worry about than whether or not an incredibly short video that was made months prior to the game, was going to be shown against Nebraska. Chances are he just didn't care to know (judging from the video statement) like the rest of the country would about Northwestern and Nebraska..... and just for clarification, that's a joke too :)
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

McDermott finishes his first NBA game with 12 pts, 5 rebs and 2 assts. He shot 5-9 and 2-5 from downtown. Bulls won at the Knicks 104-80.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

McDermott, one of two high-profile Chicago rookies making their debut Wednesday, finished with 12 points on 5-of-9 shooting. The former National Player of the Year already appears to have the respect of NBA defenses, as the Knicks defenders largely stayed at home whenever he was in the game.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I did see one play in the 4th quarter where he grabbed the rebound and then took the ball down the court and pulled up for a 3 right in front of the defender and nailed it. The Knicks then took a timeout. Glad to see McDermott with confidence.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dunleavy 0-5 (0-4) in 31 min. How long before Doug starts for the Bulls?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Haha that floater from around the college three distance was awesome.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Haha that floater from around the college three distance was awesome.
Yeah, he definitely got a good bounce on that one.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

McDermott vs King James ESPN @ 7pm
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Tough night for McDermott, 0 pts and one block. Bulls lost in OT. Not too bad considering Derrick Rose didn't finish the game due to an ankle sprain and Jimmy Butler didn't play (sprained thumb).
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:Tough night for McDermott, 0 pts and one block.  Bulls lost in OT.  Not too bad considering Derrick Rose didn't finish the game due to an ankle sprain and Jimmy Butler didn't play (sprained thumb).
McDermott never got into the rhythm of the game. Dunleavy was holding his own, so when Doug came in at the middle of the first quarter, and ended up -11, the only real difference he made was making Miller use up nervy by following him through screens durin his floor time. Bulls starters were lacking a lot of energy also. That was a sweet block though...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

McDermott had a nice game last night: 12pts in only 12 min. He even had a nice dunk.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I heard his pt is going down because of his defense...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That may be the case but here is Thibodeau thoughts after last night's game:
I keep saying it over and over about (Mirotic) and Doug: I love them both
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:I heard his pt is going down because of his defense...
Having Jimmy Butler back takes a lot of minutes out of the wing rotation.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Out 4-6 weeks for knee surgery
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Was cleared to play in tonight's game vs Cleveland, but didn't get any PT.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Was cleared to play in tonight's game vs Cleveland, but didn't get any PT.
Glad to see he is back. Hopefully his shooting will pick up and he will earn some more playing time. It has been tough being a Bull's fan lately. They have lost 6 of their last 8 games and a lot of it is due to terrible shooting. Hopefully McDermott can provide a little spark.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

McDermott played 2:13 with no line score this evening against the Spurs, after missing more than month after arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Doug played for :05 in a Bulls loss to the Kobe-less Lakers, but got this pub instead:

Doug McDermott slides into Taylor Swift's direct messages
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Might be headed to the D League after the all star break:

http://www.blogabull.com/2015/2/6/79930 ... -grit-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I've also heard that Thibs is not making many friend in the office and his tenure may be in jeapordy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

McDermott enters the game with 4:13 left in a 30 pt blowout.
3-3 with two lay ups and a 3, for 9 pts.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:McDermott enters the game with 4:13 left in a 30 pt blowout.
3-3 with two lay ups and a 3, for 9 pts.
Nice to see. Those were his first points since November 28 and highest scoring game since November 4.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thibs (and the Bulls) are getting shredded by the media over their lack of defense, and this being Doug's weak point, it appears he is not improving this area of his game (or Thibs is not coaching him well, or Thibs isn't coaching much these days...)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

There are now reports in Chicago that Greg McDermott is complaining to the Bull's over Doug's playing time.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

With all of these injuries, Doug should see some serious playing time:

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/can-doug- ... vide-spark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I still can't believe he has seen very little playing time since coming back after the knee surgery. The way I look at it, give him around 10-15 minutes a game, you've got nothing to lose. You know he is going to play hard, and although he isn't the best defender, he is a good team defender. Now with the injuries, and more than ever, they need to give him a shot.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

vs Wash: 15:18 min. going 0-5 with 3 of his shots blocked.