Big Red Express

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Big Red Express

Post by Brad »

Big Red Express

Union Pacific's Big Red Express to Connect the Railroad and University of Nebraska Coaches with Communities

http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/c ... ress.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Union Pacific Railroad wrote:Union Pacific Railroad will operate a special passenger train from Omaha to North Platte, Neb., with whistle stops in Columbus, Grand Island and Kearney, on Saturday, June 28, to celebrate the historical connection between the railroad and University of Nebraska with Nebraska communities.
swgiust
Library Board

Re: Big Red Express

Post by swgiust »

Wasn't there some talk of running a train from Omaha to Lincoln on game day? That would be awesome!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

swgiust wrote:Wasn't there some talk of running a train from Omaha to Lincoln on game day? That would be awesome!
My parents talked about groups renting cars on the train down on game days and how they were a riot. It would be convenient as heck to get dropped off in the Haymarket. Use Amtrak's terminal for Omaha's end, and you could have a nice ride down and back.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

swgiust wrote:Wasn't there some talk of running a train from Omaha to Lincoln on game day? That would be awesome!
I would need to look it up in my Railroads of Omaha and Council Bluffs book, but the CB&Q ran a train to Lincoln and back every game day up until the 70's.

Iowa has the Hawkeye Express that runs to every game in Iowa City.
bigredmed wrote:It would be convenient as heck to get dropped off in the Haymarket.  Use Amtrak's terminal for Omaha's end, and you could have a nice ride down and back.
Amtrak has a brand new station that just opened right next to Pinnacle Bank Arena.

Unfortunately the BNSF is so busy in and out of Lincoln right now, it would be really had to get them to agree to it. The Hawkeye Express is a whole different game because it runs on a regional short line, not a national corporation.

Hawkeye Express: http://www.iowanorthern.com/hawkeye/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I remember as a kid, in the '60's, my dad would take us on a Lincoln Day trip, and we would take the train.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:I remember as a kid, in the '60's, my dad would take us on a Lincoln Day trip, and we would take the train.

That would be so cool if they still did that. It's really strange because you have to think this would be a money maker.

Imagine jumping on a train, partying in the Haymarket and then taking a train back to Omaha.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

We were going to use the Hawkeye Express once when we went to a game, but the line was long and the price is a little steep ($12 for round trip). In our case quicker and free to just walk to the stadium.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Grand Island whistle stop today

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome! I am glad you were able to catch it! Photos look great!

I was on the radio this past Saturday so I missed it leaving Omaha...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I did a search and didn't see this mentioned anywhere else so if I missed it sorry.

Has anyone seen or heard much about this Amtrak train running from Omaha to Lincoln and back for the Sept 20 Miami game?

http://www.huskertours.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It all seems like a great time and experience but the cost seems way to steep for me to think this will be successful. Not sure what it would take to break even but I have to think it would be less then this if they could fill it up.

The Big Red Amtrak Special is sponsored by Zephyr Rail in partnership with Amtrak to bring back the football game train experience.

There are 3 Standard cars; 4 Dome cars; 2 Private cars; and 1 Food and Beverage car.

Handicap accessibility on the train is limited and available in the standard cars only. Shuttle transportation will be provided for handicap guests only. The shuttle will run from the Lincoln Station to Morrill Hall (east side of the stadium) located approximately 2 and half blocks from the stadiums east entrance. Please note: Even with shuttle service, depending on the location of your seat within the stadium, walking up to 8 blocks may be required.

Advance reservations and tickets are required and once purchased are non-refundable

Each car has lavatory facilities

Food and drinks are available onboard, personal coolers are not allowed.

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fail:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Fail:
Yep

Another reason a GREAT idea will fall far short or working
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yeah, I posted it last week on a train related group because I was curious about the price...

Turns out the Hawkeye Express is $12 per person
The Big Red Express is $200 to $500 per person

I thought the price was ridiculous. However the cost per mile is actually cheaper than the Hawkeye express...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hawkeye Express is 6 miles Round Trip = $2 Per Mile
Big Red Express is about 120 miles Round Trip = $1.60 per mile.