2014 CWS

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: 2014 CWS

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Texas is the first team to punch their ticket to Omaha.
Texas is the first team Omaha wants to punch.
Could be a really Texan CWS with TCU and TT both up 1-0.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

You guys La La is a crazy fun team to watch play. I really hope those guys make it to Omaha.

Already have Texas and it looks like Louisville. Give me LaLa, UCI, TCU, Maryland, Vandy/Stanford either works and please please let College of Charleston win the next two against TT. Tech doesn't do anything for me.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Louisville and Irvine are back, love the Anteaters gear and always cool to see Pitino in the stands.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Louisville and Irvine are back, love the Anteaters gear and always cool to see Pitino in the stands.
My uncle is the head athletic trainer at UC Irvine, so I am happy they made it back. Last time (2007) they were here he was unable to make it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Second Big XII team in, TTech. Charleston becomes only the second team (LSU) not to score a run in the Super Regionals.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Second Big XII team in, TTech. Charleston becomes only the second team (LSU) not to score a run in the Super Regionals.
Make that 3 TCU joins in.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

That TCU game was a awesome game to watch.. Start to finish amazing!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Game #1 - TEXAS vs. U.C. IRVINE (SAT 2PM)
Game #2 - LOUISVILLE vs. VANDERBILT (SAT 7PM)
Game #3 - TEXAS TECH vs. TCU (SUN 2PM)
Game #4 - VIRGINIA vs. OLE MISS (SUN 7PM)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

#6 LA-Lafayette goes down to Ole Miss, and there we have it. 8 coming to Omaha.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

BIG 12 BABY! woohoo
:thumb:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Streets Renamed for the CWS
Marcus Cooper: KMTV News wrote:Folks will take a walk down streets like "Rebel Street" and "Horned Frogs Avenue" during the College World Series.
How long has the city been renaming streets in the Old Market during the CWS? I don't remember seeing this before.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I remember them doing it last year.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

UP brought a different engine this year. No Big Boy this time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:UP brought a different engine this year.  No Big Boy this time.
They have never brought the big boy, they have always brought the 844.

However the 844 is having new Boiler Tubes installed so this year its two of the three E9's.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:UP brought a different engine this year.  No Big Boy this time.
They have never brought the big boy, they have always brought the 844.

However the 844 is having new Boiler Tubes installed so this year its two of the three E9's.
I stand corrected. They bought the huge black engine in the past and I just assumed it was that.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote: I stand corrected.  They bought the huge black engine in the past and I just assumed it was that.
Lol, I know, I'm a nerd....

It is cool seeing something different. I wish they would repair the damage in the fire box of the 3985 and bring that....

They are working so hard on the 844 and the 4014 right no and the 3985 is like the step child sitting in the corner of the roundhouse...

The Official Quote from the head of the steam department is "Why run a challenger (3985) when you can run a Big Boy (4014)".
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Didn't know Roger Clemen's kid is on UT. Maybe a sighting possible?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It really is a new era for the CWS. We are seeing the old main stays less and less.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ESPN sent Aaron Boone and Jon Sciambi this year. Not sure how long they are sticking around, but those are some of their main MLB guys. Upping the talent from ESPN.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

What year was it that there were severe storms during the CWS?
Looks like a storm tomorrow night.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:What year was it that there were severe storms during the CWS?

Doesn't it happen almost every year?
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Didn't know Roger Clemen's kid is on UT.  Maybe a sighting possible?
AP wrote:Roger will be on hand to see if his son can help the Longhorns win a seventh title, and first at TD Ameritrade Park.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I get that people here don't like Texas, but to hear boos during their entrance is really really lame.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Tomorrow my family and I are all Anteater fans. My uncle is their head athletic trainer and made it town. I would love for them to keep winning so he can stay a little longer.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:What year was it that there were severe storms during the CWS?
Looks like a storm tomorrow night.
That was 2011. I remember we we sitting out having a drink and the cops went by and told everyone to go inside somewhere. We went to the Holiday Inn inside the Union place and the whole bar was singing songs. For sure on of those CWS memories that stick with you.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The windiest recorded game at TDA?
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Haha Yes!!!! My Texas jinx worked! :banana: :banana:
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Look like things got a little too crazy for Blatt Beer & Table Friday night:
Blatt closed early Saturday morning due to unruly customers
The north downtown eatery and bar closed at about 12:30 a.m. with help from police and security because of a group of about 25 to 30 unruly customers, said Anthony Hitchcock, director of operations for Flagship Restaurant Group, which owns Blatt.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

My uncle made it on SportsCenter: He is in the white shirt in the background. It was awesome to sit with all the UC Irvine fans and cheer on the team.

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Look like things got a little too crazy for Blatt Beer & Table Friday night:
The north downtown eatery and bar closed at about 12:30 a.m. with help from police and security because of a group of about 25 to 30 unruly customers, said Anthony Hitchcock, director of operations for Flagship Restaurant Group, which owns Blatt.
Hopefully this is a one time deal. You'd hate to have multiple incidents around the stadium and it's venues.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

With the winds we have seen for the series so far this year, if it were still at Rosenblatt, there would have been a ton of homeruns. I love TD Ameritrade Park, but I think at some point, they need to think about moving the fences in. I can't remember, but I think next year they are going to be using a different baseball that has tighter stitching to carry the ball further.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah new baseball coming next year. It will help some but TD is brutal for scoring. Scoring in college baseball is down, TD exaggerates it. It's a huge part to hit HR's out of (as of a couple weeks ago, one had never been hit between the two 375's in the outfield). They also made the foul territory from 1st to 3rd huge. Two problems with this, it's puts the fans that much further away from the field, plus creates more outs on pop ups in foul territory.

If they ever do bring in the fences, it will be nearly impossible to make it look like they were built that way. Will hurt the look of the stadium.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Look at the bats and the baseball before we look at the field. I think those two have had more of a factor than anything the ballpark has done.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:Look like things got a little too crazy for Blatt Beer & Table Friday night:
Hopefully this is a one time deal.  You'd hate to have multiple incidents around the stadium and it's venues.

Greg
Was actually there that night. It was strange, we were inside by the main bar and there was zero commotion. Left and the was an ambulance, a few cruisers and cops, but only one guy cuffed on the curb. I feel like the place would of been a lot more hectic if 25-30 people were getting rowdy.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:Yeah new baseball coming next year.  It will help some but TD is brutal for scoring.  Scoring in college baseball is down, TD exaggerates it.  It's a huge part to hit HR's out of (as of a couple weeks ago, one had never been hit between the two 375's in the outfield).  They also made the foul territory from 1st to 3rd huge. Two problems with this, it's puts the fans that much further away from the field, plus creates more outs on pop ups in foul territory.

If they ever do bring in the fences, it will be nearly impossible to make it look like they were built that way.  Will hurt the look of the stadium.

Greg
The NCAA did a study on the lowered laces and found that it can add up to 20 more feet to the flight of the ball compared to the raised ones. Also should really lessen the insane spin some pitchers can get on their throws, which will make hitting a little easier.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Greg S wrote:

Was actually there that night.  It was strange, we were inside by the main bar and there was zero commotion.  Left and the was an ambulance, a few cruisers and cops, but only one guy cuffed on the curb.  I feel like the place would of been a lot more hectic if 25-30 people were getting rowdy.
I talked with security about the incident, and they said there were two major fights at the Blatt.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:I talked with security about the incident, and they said there were two major fights at the Blatt.
Makes sense. The place was just fine last night minus the fact that I had to get my Lagunitas in a plastic cup.

I think that Friday before the CWS is just the biggest party day of the year in Omaha and nobody knows how to keep their self together.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:I talked with security about the incident, and they said there were two major fights at the Blatt.
Makes sense.  The place was just fine last night minus the fact that I had to get my Lagunitas in a plastic cup.

I think that Friday before the CWS is just the biggest party day of the year in Omaha and nobody knows how to keep their self together.
I wasn't there there Friday night, but Saturday night was a zoo. The Blatt, Slowdown (beer garden) and the Mattress Factory were still going full tilt when I left at midnight. Sunday night was a morgue. Except for The Faint concert, after 11:00 it was pretty quiet.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Trap Room doesn't get awful in my experience. I mentioned in the 318 thread how cool it would be to have that working brewery just a skip north of the stadium.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Trap Room doesn't get awful in my experience.  I mentioned in the 318 thread how cool it would be to have that working brewery just a skip north of the stadium.
I talked with a Mastercraft "in-the-know" tonight.... He sincerely doubts 318 will ever get off the ground. People in the neighborhood there are upset there was nit a time limit to that sell... A provision if nothing was built there after two years...

He also said 10 acres to their west was recently purchased, but the new owners have no idea what to do with it.