High School Sports

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

High School Sports

Post by Coyote »

Since we don't have a real HS sports thread, I'd thought we could start with this great article...

Omaha South vs. Creighton Prep is like 1970s NU-OU — right down to the respect
Dirk Chatelain: World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:Private vs. public. White vs. Latino. Primarily affluent vs. blue-collar. Traditional powerhouse vs. emerging juggernaut. Different. But put them on a pitch and magic happens. They consistently break each other's hearts, lifting high school soccer to a level nobody else in Nebraska can.
Coyote
City Council

Re: High School Sports

Post by Coyote »

Chatelain: Fueled by love and hate, Winnebago wins respect
Dirk Chatelain: World-Herald staff writer wrote:But for every potential distraction, there was a piece of motivation. The state tournament wasn’t just basketball to Winnebago, it was a mission to earn respect off the reservation.

“We came down to prove everybody wrong,” coach Jeff Berridge said. “We came down here to prove to everybody that Rez Ball, that Winnebago basketball can thrive. Everybody doubts Winnebago. My boys know it already. But this group of boys feed off of hate.”

The most publicized incident happened Thursday when a Wahoo radio announcer made a reference to “firewater” in the wake of Winnebago’s opening-round win. A few people told Berridge to keep it from the players. Don’t let it distract them. It’s all over Facebook, Berridge said.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That Winnebago team was fun to watch, they have some seriously good players. I feel bad for the poor old guy that made the "fire water" comment, he didn't mean any harm and was a volunteer broadcaster.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Some of those guys just honestly don't know what they are saying. At least going forward a lot more people will be more educated on the subject.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

High school pitcher helping to take team to the best in the state

OMAHA, Neb. (KPTM) — He is one of the best high school pitchers in the entire region and he's leading Millard West to the top ranking in the state. FOX42's Bill Steckis reports Drew Deremer is heading to the next level. Millard West is easily one of the best teams in the state at the high school varsity baseball level, and one of the many talented pitchers on the team is Drew Deremer. He will play Division One baseball at Iowa next year.

That is one of hundreds of strikes he's thrown in his young career. He has the rest of his senior year and a summer of baseball left. But he says committing to Iowa is a dream come true. "It is. I would always go to college world series games and dream about playing at the d-1 level. I'm really looking forward to bonding with the players there and getting the experience of playing at the next level," said Deremer. The dream comes after years of working on the little things and the big things that it takes to get there. "I started in the off season getting my weight up, getting my strength up and getting my mechanics ready. I worked with my dad at throwing strikes and throwing harder," said Deremer.