The "Omaha Mammoths" - FXFL

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Re: The "Omaha Mammoths" - FXFL

Post by guitarguy »

Coyote wrote:These announcers are idiots, the broadcast is horrible.
I laughed so hard when they suggested that the NFL would adopt rules from this brand new FXFL league :lafcry: :lafcry:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Well if they are able to partner with the NFL, that is exactly what this league would be for....to test out rule changes and develop players.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

"The receving (sic) team shall have 8 players between the 35 and 45"
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

In all it wasnt bad, attendance was better then the last Nighthawks games, but wasnt a super big crowd either. I would expect that if they survive for the long term, and can partner with the NFL the fan base will grow and be solid. As for adopting the rules the FXFL is for trying the rule changes the NFL has considered with out actually having to do, sort of to see how it works and go from there, as well as develop players. Overall the quality of play was good on the field tonight, looking forward to the next game.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The announcers were marginal at best but that is the case for anyting that i have watched that has been ESPN3 only. That is a small sample but it has been consistent.

KFAB, when reporting on the game this AM said attendance was 3,000
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:KFAB, when reporting on the game this AM said attendance was 3,000
I don't think that's too bad for the first game.

What do you think the Worst Case is? Half got in for free and the other half paid for the cheap seats? That is still $22,500. Think they pay the same rent CU does, $10,000 a Game? Too bad this isn't a true Minor League where the parent team pays the players.

Were there any corporate sponsors or advertising during the game?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I know there were some free tickets floating around. A friend thought he was getting 2 and was taking his son, when he opened the envelope he had 4 and called me to bring me and my son. Unfortunately we could not go.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

One thing that is weird is the partnering with the NFL thing. Sandy Buda said in the OWH, that the NFL had suggested/asked for them to experiment with some rules. When the story got picked up nationally, it was reported that no such request came from the NFL.

Greg
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Just wanted to mention how much fun it was watching football again with no official reviews!
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

guitarguy wrote:
I laughed so hard when they suggested that the NFL would adopt rules from this brand new FXFL league :lafcry: :lafcry:
I wouldn't laugh to hard considering the NFL asked them to experiment with the special teams rules, Kick offs at the 25 and no one lining up past the 20, and extra points on the 17. The NFL actually did extra points on the 17 this preseason so I feel like that could come in to play in very soon.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Wow.. Does the NFL really think changing all the rules is going to do anything other than lose them money? They've already taken most of the fun out of the game.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:
guitarguy wrote:
I laughed so hard when they suggested that the NFL would adopt rules from this brand new FXFL league :lafcry:  :lafcry:
I wouldn't laugh to hard considering the NFL asked them to experiment with the special teams rules, Kick offs at the 25 and no one lining up past the 20, and extra points on the 17. The NFL actually did extra points on the 17 this preseason so I feel like that could come in to play in very soon.

The NFL may change some rules but it is laughable to think they will be following the lead of the FXFL, or are using it as a guide.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote: The NFL may change some rules but it is laughable to think they will be following the lead of the FXFL, or are using it as a guide.

Greg
When you ask a league to try 17 yard extra points I would say it's a guide.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Another game tonight. Hopefully with the nicer weather they can grab a few more fans in the seats.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:Another game tonight.  Hopefully with the nicer weather they can grab a few more fans in the seats.

Doesn't help with the KFAB crew this AM complaining about the 8:00 PM kickoff being too late to bring out the family to and they talk like they are the authority on this. All this while they are looking at a schedule that had to be from the national prospective and couldn't see that it was Eastern time. You would think they would have done enough homework to know that last week and this weeks game started at 7PM LOCAL TIME.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is like a lot of radio personalities, they only know half of the story, the rest they just make up or try to patch things together.
Toto
Home Owners Association

Post by Toto »

nebugeater wrote:Doesn't help with the KFAB crew this AM complaining about the 8:00 PM kickoff being too late to bring out the family to and they talk like they are the authority on this.  All this while they are looking at a schedule that had to be from the national prospective and couldn't see that it was Eastern time.  You would think they would have done enough homework to know that last week and this weeks game started at 7PM LOCAL TIME.
That is the grumpiest group of old men I have ever heard. Their ring leader rose is just a crabby jerk, saddlebags has been mailing it for years and just doesn't give a rats |expletive| about anything. Scott seems like a decent guy until he gets around those two and then he turns in to a grumpy old man too.
Toto
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Brawler/Bolts game is on ESPN 3, so no Omaha broadcast tonight... They have th games on at the same time? And you only can get the 'game of the week'? Fail!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I think Omaha won 20-19.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Coyote wrote:I think Omaha won 20-19.
Omaha did win 20-19, was a close game the whole time but good none the less
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Florida missed an extra point on the last score with less than 2 minutes left. Having the kicks farther out does make a big difference. The attendance was estimated at 1,500.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Only 1500, how do they figure attendance numbers? Seemed to be about the same if not more there then last week, lot more people in the area I was sitting
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Any idea how much the other team's are drawing?

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Just saw 1,393 in Brooklyn last night for game against Boston. We are in-line with others on attendance.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thats good to hear. At least we are competing with much larger metros and still holding on.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I see that sometime in the last few day the FXFL has updated their web site schedule page to show game times in both Eastern and Central times!

Wonder if someone is reading this that is in the loop.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

For anyone interested in the final score after tonight's game, Mammoths lost there first game to Brooklyn 15-13. Was a close one again
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

What was the attendance?
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

No idea, I havent been able to find anything on it since they played in New York last Friday
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sounds like a second Mammoths player has left to go to the NFL. That is a good sign so far.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Watching last night's game against Boston on Altitude was brutal. Five turnovers, including a fumble on the goal line in the closing two minutes that would have given Omaha a 14-0 lead. Instead, Boston drives the field to take an 8-7 lead (after the 2 pt conversion) with 30 second left. Only Boston kicks off out of bounds to give Omaha the ball at the 50 yard line, setting up a game winning field as time expired. Exciting final two minutes, I suppose. But sloppy.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

What was the final score?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nevermind, I found out the final score was 10-8 Omaha. They are now 3-1. The estimated attendance was 4,000.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

4,000? They were tweeting pics from last nights game on the Empty Seats Galore twitter feed and the crowd looked the same or smaller than the previous home games.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The 4,000 was estimated by a team official, so I bet that they embellished the numbers.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Greg S wrote:4,000? They were tweeting pics from last nights game on the Empty Seats Galore twitter feed and the crowd looked the same or smaller than the previous home games.

Greg
I was there last night and it could have been close to that, seems like most people are sitting in rows 104 though 111, and 202 though 211. Some people are sitting in other rows but now much so I wonder if that was were they happened to take pictures. I been sitting in 108 and the rows on both sides of mine have had alot of people every game, around 4,000 wouldn't be bad for attendance
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:4,000? They were tweeting pics from last nights game on the Empty Seats Galore twitter feed and the crowd looked the same or smaller than the previous home games.

Greg
I saw Rovel's tweet and I think that it was taken near the end of the game and focused more on the 3rd base side where no one sits. I will say there did seem to be more at this game sitting between the 20's than the last two games. 4'000 is probably the high end guess. I would say between 3 and 4k for sure. Next week though with temps in the 30's should be very interesting.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

On the Empty Seats Galore twitter feed, they had a few. One (might have been the Rovell sent) made the place look empty. The other did show some fans on the 3rd base side.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Apparently last night was the last game....
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Apparently last night was the last game....

Did something change? Brooklyn is supposed to play at Omaha next Wed night the 12th