The "Omaha Mammoths" - FXFL

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Re: The "Omaha Mammoths" - FXFL

Post by Turtle9160 »

http://m.omaha.com/sports/mammoths-bolt ... 90827.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brooklyn won aginst Florida so Omaha is playing them for the league title, they figure no need for the game aginst them on Wednesday. League didn't fold nor did the Mammoths lol
Last edited by Turtle9160 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brooklyn scored 21 points in 25 seconds to secure the game. After they scored,
Brooklyn intercepted a shuttle pass for a TD, and, on the ensuing kickoff,
Florida bobbled the kickoff, which was picked up and run back for a third Booklyn TD.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:Apparently last night was the last game....

Did something change?  Brooklyn is supposed to play at Omaha next Wed night the 12th
I heard from two different people at the Creighton game last night that the season will be canceled before Wednesday's game. Two people completely not related, One media member and one arena staff member.
PobodysNerfect
New to the Neighborhood

Post by PobodysNerfect »

I heard it will not be cancelled but because the league bought out a member they are having budget issues so they will just stay in New York for the last game or something.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I hope they are doing this proactively to manage the league and not as a last ditch effort to save it.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Here's the pic from empty seats galore.

Check out @EmptySeatsPics's Tweet: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Wow looks like most people are sitting between the 20s. I am hoping they won't cancel the season like the UFL did in 2012, sounded like they had decided not to play Brooklyn this week because both Omaha and Brooklyn were in the league championship game.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Somebody better tell TDA that there is not going to a game on the 12th, it is still being advertised on their board.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Someone also needs to tell the FXFL website and Ticketmaster, as they are still offering tix for sale.....standings haven't been updated either.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

From the TDA facebook page about an hour ago.
Wednesday’s FXFL football game between the Omaha Mammoths and the Brooklyn Bolts has been cancelled and will not be held at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha. Refunds for the game are available at the point of purchase.
PobodysNerfect
New to the Neighborhood

Post by PobodysNerfect »

Hey, they did something better than the UFL, they're offering refunds!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I thought I saw something in the paper where they were going to have Omaha play Brooklyn out there for the championship? Has that been shelved too?

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:I thought I saw something in the paper where they were going to have Omaha play Brooklyn out there for the championship?  Has that been shelved too?

Greg

No I don't think it is shelved at this point but it is not 100% worked out in details yet so anything can happen. They do not have a date or a location idnetifed yet and they are working to line up a TV partner so if any of those issues take too long it may still fall apart. There is also the concern that if they wait too long the players may move on and with already small rosters there many not be enough players to play.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

So has anyone seen or heard any more about this unlikely to happen championship game?
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

As far as last thing I heard they were still working on trying to get a tv broadcaster, there was talk of playing it on Thanksgiving but I don't think they would considering the NFL has games that day as well. There have been a couple of players signed to NFL teams but I don't believe giving up on it now because of a lack of news, and until they say other wise about the league going down I will wait, but that is just me. And the standings look like they were updated on the FXFL site
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Also found this article from the World Herald this morning.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/league-sati ... 33f28.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /19354359/
The four-team FXFL's first season is over, and the developmental league's founder is eager to get started on Year 2.

"I think we had a great first season, given the accelerated timeframe we operated under," says Brian Woods, commissioner of the league. "We are very pleased at the response from the public. This model has proven itself. We believe we have something that works, with utilization of minor league baseball parks and the sponsorships we've created."

Two of the FXFL's four franchises, the Brooklyn Bolts and Omaha Mammoths, drew decent-sized crowds to such stadiums. The Boston Brawlers didn't fare quite so well, and the Blacktips were a road-only team.
So much so that Woods envisions a bigger league in 2015, with more affiliations with minor league baseball teams and stadia. He's targeting such cities as Memphis, Austin, Oklahoma City and somewhere in Florida. Woods also expects Brooklyn and Omaha to return.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Thanks I had not see that story.

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /19354359/
The four-team FXFL's first season is over, and the developmental league's founder is eager to get started on Year 2.

"I think we had a great first season, given the accelerated timeframe we operated under," says Brian Woods, commissioner of the league. "We are very pleased at the response from the public. This model has proven itself. We believe we have something that works, with utilization of minor league baseball parks and the sponsorships we've created."

Two of the FXFL's four franchises, the Brooklyn Bolts and Omaha Mammoths, drew decent-sized crowds to such stadiums. The Boston Brawlers didn't fare quite so well, and the Blacktips were a road-only team.
So much so that Woods envisions a bigger league in 2015, with more affiliations with minor league baseball teams and stadia. He's targeting such cities as Memphis, Austin, Oklahoma City and somewhere in Florida. Woods also expects Brooklyn and Omaha to return.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Should I hold my breath?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Have they every made an official announcement on the championship/final game of the season?

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I haven't heard anything official but with them talking about a second season and no mention of a championship game, I doubt there is going to be one.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

What part of "The four-team FXFL’s first season is over" did you miss? There won't be a championship game.

I'm eager to see if they roll something bigger and better out in April/May for a 2015 season. I'd like the league to continue, but they can't wait until September to roll things out.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

The season is officially over and no championship game, guess its on to the next season. Glad some of the players got shots at the NFL again

http://sfctoday.com/sports/1751-no-fxfl ... eated.html
The Bolts made this announcement public via their Facebook page: "The Inaugural Season of the FXFL is officially over. The league tried to put together a championship game for next week, but logistically they weren't able to make it work. The Bolts finish the season with a 4-0 record and in 1st place. Thanks to the over 8,000 fans who came through the gates
The original intention of the FXFL was to have a championship game between the undefeated Bolts and the one loss Mammoths on Wednesday November 26. Despite not being able to put on a Championship game, the first-ever FXFL season could be viewed as a success due to the fact that around 150 players were able to play in the league and have recent game-film watched by 32 NFL teams.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Donnie Woods ‏@CoachWoods wrote: Excited to be part of Thomas Jefferson High School Football next season.
Another sign there might no be another season?
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

I am wondering if her just wanted to go back to coaching and TJ offered him the job, I recall a article about a month go in the World Herald saying the league had announced they were happy with a short first season and was planning to come back next year for a second season, and that Omaha would return with the league as well as couple of new teams. Until the say other wise or next football season comes around and nothing is happening then its safe to assume there the league/team is going to have another season, we got to remember the FXFL is not the UFL that the Nighthawks were in.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

FXFL Considers Return To Omaha

Found this on the OWH site, looks to have been posted on the 23rd but sounded like good news, also sounds like there considering "regionalising" the league
Going forward, Woods said the FXFL might look to regionalize and named Memphis, Oklahoma City and possibly even Des Moines as potential franchises to be near Omaha. It also would like to stay in the Brooklyn and Boston markets. Some of those decisions will be made next month, Woods said, but he believes there is enough talent available to support a six- or eight-team league.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I saw that as well. I thought it was interesting that they said they were "considering" returning to Omaha. They need to stay on top of things and communicate. If they do return as a league and do return to Omaha, they need to get out in front and not wait until the last minute.

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

We always talk about Omaha needing to be a national city. When the team gets the championship and our fans support it pretty well for a novice league, and the league says they are "considering" a return to Omaha, the attitude should be we will "consider" buying tickets if you come back.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

FXFL
Yesterday at 8:38am · 

Think you have what it takes to play in the FXFL? The FXFL will be conducting Free Agent tryouts beginning in February. Stay tuned for dates and locations.
Saw this post from the FXFL facebook last night saying tryouts will be next month, not much in the way of news but something at least
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

@FXFL: We are excited to announce that the FXFL will have a franchise in Ohio for the 2015 season.

This was tweeted by the FXFL account earlier tonight.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Wonder if it means there adding more teams or moving some of the teams from last season. Also saw on there Twitter feed that they are promising big announcements and that the 2015 season will kick off on Oct 2nd with a opening game in Brooklyn. Got high hopes that the Mammoths return
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They have not announced yet whether they will return to Omaha have they? I know there was doubt at the end of last season. I think they said they were evaluating.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:They have not announced yet whether they will return to Omaha have they? I know there was doubt at the end of last season. I think they said they were evaluating.

Greg

I have been keeping an eye on some of the places where there may be news and so far I have not seen anything one way or another. Of course that means about nothing !
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

I remember a article back around Christmas in the WH, proably the one that ran the headline "FXFL Considers Return To Omaha". It mentioned that Omaha definitely figures into the 2015 season, and they were kicking around the idea to make it a regional league for the Midwest, I will try and find the article and post it this evening. Hoping they come back to Omaha this year, will for sure be keeping an eye out for news on the FXFL Twitter/Facebook pages
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Rich Kaipust (who covered the Mammoths for the Weird-Harold) said that there were some "pending deals" for the FXFL, but didn't clarify with whom. Omaha's attendance was comparable to Brooklyn's, but neither was impressive. Seems awfully late to put something together, but that hasn't stopped them before...
AndyG
New to the Neighborhood

Post by AndyG »

Let's see what happens . If they are really ready for some "big announcements" I expect .the first to come next week. My gut feeling is that Omaha will return. Just remember that this league moves very slow and tries to do things on a small budget. Even with the slowness and last minute aspect of the FXFL , it still fell short in 2014. Maybe it will be even slower this year. Either way we will be ready to give some coverage at FXFL Fans https://www.facebook.com/FXFLfans. Unlike the FXFL we can move very quickly.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Mahoning Valley Brawlers just announced on the leagues twitter account as the next franchise. Looks to be near Youngstown Ohio?

Greg
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

It's between Youngstown and Akron form the looks of it. They have a schedule out with three of the four teams playing this year and dates, wondering if the Mammoths are working out details with MECA to play at Ameritrade. Hoping the team returns dispute the league falling short last year, Omaha had really good turn out compared to the other teams from the sounds of it.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:Mahoning Valley Brawlers just announced on the leagues twitter account as the next franchise. Looks to be near Youngstown Ohio?

Greg
The Youngstown Fightin' Bo Pelinis!
No posts exist for this topic
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

If they are going with 4 teams, then the Mammoths are not returning in 2015. The Brawlers (formerly of Boston) schedule lists 4 teams: Brooklyn, Florida, Hudson Valley (NY), and Mahoning Valley.

http://www.milb.com/documents/0/3/6/136 ... 6j4etw.pdf